✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

Concert Review for Friday, June 17 at Angels Stadium in Anaheim, CA

The thing I love about concerts is that you always come out a bigger fan, for me at least, and this time it was no different. :D I had a really great time yesterday. From the very first song, "Even Better Than the Real Thing," to the last song, "Moment of Surrender," I was singing and dancing along to the tunes. :D U2 know how to put on a great show and they express lots of energy and enthusiasm. I love the message they give in thier shows about standing as "One" and helping each other so we can make our world a better place. I know some people say they like to go to concerts to enjoy themselves and not be reminded about some of the unfortunate things occuring in the world, but I really don't mind and like that U2 does their part in getting their message out to their fans. :) The highlight of the concert for me was when they sang Pride (In The Name Of Love) since it's my favorite U2 song and I missed it last time I saw them because they didn't perform it. I'm really happy they decided to play it this time around. Bono also led us in singing Happy Birthday to their manager Paul McGuinness whose birthday was two days ago. According to Bono it was the first time Mr.McGuinness had ever joined U2 on stage in the entire 30 years (I think it was that he said) that he has worked for them.:shocked2: Also a funny moment was when Bono was introducing each member to the audience he was saying what he thought they each would be doing instead if they weren't in the band U2. He said Larry Mullen Jr. would be an officer in Ireland, Adam Clayton would be a posh clothes designer, I think he said the Edge would be a city planner, and he would be a movie critic. :lol: The show was great overall, and if I had any bad critique for it, it would be that there were some songs where I really couldn't hear Bono singing because the instruments were overpowering his voice, or there could have just been something wrong with the sound. Other than that, I loved the stage, I loved the music, I loved U2. Well that's my review... :nice:

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your review, Imelda. It was great. I am glad that you had a great time dancing and singing to U2's epic songs.

Last year in August, U2 did not perform / sing Pride (in the name of love) which is also one of my top 4 favourites by U2. ONE is my no. 1, followed by With or Without You and the Pride or Magnificent.

Glad that you had the chance to hear Pride - your favourite U2 tune. :thumbsup:

So yeah, I totally just got "The Fly" at last night's show. :D

But as a more casual fan who doesn't constantly keep up with their setlists, I was more like, "Oh cool, it's The Fly, I love this song!" I didn't realize it hadn't been played in so long or that so many hardcore fans have been wanting it played for years. In fact, I probably cheered far more for "Ultraviolet". :laugh3:

Great show all around. These guys still have it.

Guest howyousawtheworld
So yeah, I totally just got "The Fly" at last night's show. :D

But as a more casual fan who doesn't constantly keep up with their setlists, I was more like, "Oh cool, it's The Fly, I love this song!" I didn't realize it hadn't been played in so long or that so many hardcore fans have been wanting it played for years. In fact, I probably cheered far more for "Ultraviolet". :laugh3:

Great show all around. These guys still have it.

The Fly?! Nice one! What was the full setlist for the show? Love how U2 have mixed and mashed their setlists on this tour but I guess with a back catalogue as impressive as theirs it's the least we'd expect!

I would adore The Unforgettable Fire for Glastonbury and New Years Day. That show should be something else! Talking of which can you actually believe people are debating about whether choosing U2 is bad or good for Glastonbury? People complain about having U2, Coldplay, Beyonce as the headlining acts and it being "too safe" but at the end of the day all 3 acts are proven performers who rarely disappoint and are massive crowd pleasers. Yeah going a bit risky by choosing Jay Z can pay off spectacularly but other times it can bomb like Gorillaz last year. Although in fairness to Gorillaz they were a very late replacement.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/19/u2-headline-glastonbury-debate

Typical Gaurdian though.

edit: Just a point made in the above article and this weeks NME - why protest against U2's tax avoidance when Beyonce performed for Gadaffi's son a while back?

U2 & Coldplay are two of the biggest bands in the world currently & Beyonce is one of the biggest pop-acts to suit the more mellow Sunday headliner slot. If you don't like then than nobody is forcing you to watch them as you can watch music at many other stages.

And considering Glastonbury doesn't pay as much as the other festivals for headliners (due to them keeping money back to charity & lack of mass sponsorship). It will be the first time in 25 years U2 plays outside their comfort zone, to people whom didn't buy a U2 ticket.

The Fly?! Nice one! What was the full setlist for the show? Love how U2 have mixed and mashed their setlists on this tour but I guess with a back catalogue as impressive as theirs it's the least we'd expect!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/2011/angel-stadium-anaheim-ca-63d31217.html

Looking at fan feedback, this was apparently the most random setlist all tour.

Guest howyousawtheworld
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/2011/angel-stadium-anaheim-ca-63d31217.html

Looking at fan feedback, this was apparently the most random setlist all tour.

I've not looked at their setlist for months but I am stunned to see Zooropa on the setlist! Absolutely stunned! They chopped that from their setlists after a few performances because it was very hard to get right live and they bring it back 18 years later! Have to say it would go brilliantly with the stage setup. Love the song but never expected to see them perform it live ever again. Sweet!

Thanks for your review, Imelda. It was great. I am glad that you had a great time dancing and singing to U2's epic songs.

Last year in August, U2 did not perform / sing Pride (in the name of love) which is also one of my top 4 favourites by U2. ONE is my no. 1, followed by With or Without You and the Pride or Magnificent.

Glad that you had the chance to hear Pride - your favourite U2 tune. :thumbsup:

You're welcome. :) The songs you mentioned are also some of my top favorite by them. And thanks...hopefully you get to hear Pride performed live one day as well. :nice:

The thing I love about concerts is that you always come out a bigger fan, for me at least, and this time it was no different. :D I had a really great time yesterday. From the very first song, "Even Better Than the Real Thing," to the last song, "Moment of Surrender," I was singing and dancing along to the tunes. :D U2 know how to put on a great show and they express lots of energy and enthusiasm. I love the message they give in thier shows about standing as "One" and helping each other so we can make our world a better place. I know some people say they like to go to concerts to enjoy themselves and not be reminded about some of the unfortunate things occuring in the world, but I really don't mind and like that U2 does their part in getting their message out to their fans. :) The highlight of the concert for me was when they sang Pride (In The Name Of Love) since it's my favorite U2 song and I missed it last time I saw them because they didn't perform it. I'm really happy they decided to play it this time around. Bono also led us in singing Happy Birthday to their manager Paul McGuinness whose birthday was two days ago. According to Bono it was the first time Mr.McGuinness had ever joined U2 on stage in the entire 30 years (I think it was that he said) that he has worked for them.:shocked2: Also a funny moment was when Bono was introducing each member to the audience he was saying what he thought they each would be doing instead if they weren't in the band U2. He said Larry Mullen Jr. would be an officer in Ireland, Adam Clayton would be a posh clothes designer, I think he said the Edge would be a city planner, and he would be a movie critic. :lol: The show was great overall, and if I had any bad critique for it, it would be that there were some songs where I really couldn't hear Bono singing because the instruments were overpowering his voice, or there could have just been something wrong with the sound. Other than that, I loved the stage, I loved the music, I loved U2. Well that's my review... :nice:

i really like this review :) reminds me of when i saw my favourite band, Pearl Jam. it's funny how some of your favourite memories tend to be what the band said during the show rather than the songs. shows the importance of crowd interaction.

Glastonbury setlist predictions anyone?

1.) Zoo Station

2.) The Fly

3.) Even Better Than the Real Thing

4.) Until the End of the World

5.) Mysterious Ways

6.) Elevation

7.) Vertigo

8.) Magnificent

9.) I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

10.) Pride (In the Name of Love)

11.) Discotheque

12.) I Will Follow

13.) New Year's Day

14.) City of Blinding Lights

15.) Sunday Bloody Sunday

16.) Beautiful Day

ENCORE

17.) Where the Streets Have No Name

18.) One

19.) With or Without You

Glastonbury setlist predictions anyone?

1.) Zoo Station

2.) The Fly

3.) Even Better Than the Real Thing

4.) Until the End of the World

5.) Mysterious Ways

6.) Elevation

7.) Vertigo

8.) Magnificent

9.) I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

10.) Pride (In the Name of Love)

11.) Discotheque

12.) I Will Follow

13.) New Year's Day

14.) City of Blinding Lights

15.) Sunday Bloody Sunday

16.) Beautiful Day

ENCORE

17.) Where the Streets Have No Name

18.) One

19.) With or Without You

Wow, five Achtung Baby songs at the start. Would be cool if they turned the Glastonbury gig into a tribute to that album.

I don't know what the setlist will be, but U2 will pull something out of their hats. I'm not saying it'll be good or bad, but they are not the type of band that goes into an event this big without any tricks. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Events of this magnitude are very important to U2, and they usually do very well.

I've got money on a greatest hits set and that set looks good, however I kinda bet they will play Glastonbury (after-all they did write it for the festival set;))

Okay fit Glastonbury in there as the final song, in a second one-song encore :p

I think their unique stage design will be a tribute to the ZooTV Tour. 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby. It'd make sense, right timing, the band have been playing Achtung Baby songs a lot on the 360 Tour (especially recently) and plus the members have been saying it'll be something special. I guess we'll see come friday eh?

Oh and if anyone's well acquainted with U2's concerts, they may know that the first five songs I used in my setlist were all played as the usual first five tracks during the ZooTV Tour. I think Discotheque MAY make a comeback as a tribute to their overall 90s sound, plus they've been playing snippets of it a lot recently.