✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

Bono facing protest at Glastonbury for avoiding tax

u2_203x150.jpg

Bono facing protest at Glastonbury for avoiding tax

He is the rock legend dubbed 'Saint Bono' for his long-running campaign against global poverty.

But when Bono's band U2 perform at Glastonbury later this month, protesters are planning to accuse them of avoiding taxes which could have helped exactly the sort of people the singer cares about so dearly.

Members of activist group Art Uncut will hoist a massive inflatable sign with the message 'Bono Pay Up' spelt out in lights during the Irish band's headline performance.

They will also parade bundles of oversized fake cash in front of the singer.

The protest has been provoked by U2's decision to move their multi-million-pound music and publishing business away from Ireland - thus allegedly avoiding taxes on record sales.

A spokesman for Art Uncut, an off-shoot of controversial group UK Uncut, said the protest would not be violent or disrupt U2's set - but would be 'highly visible'.

He said: 'Bono claims to care about the developing world, but U2 greedily indulges in the very kind of tax avoidance that is crippling poor nations.

'We will be showing the very real impact of U2's tax avoidance on hospitals and schools in Ireland. Anyone watching will be made very aware that Bono needs to pay up.' Bono has previously been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and granted an honorary knighthood by the Queen in recognition of his charity work and activism.

The U2 frontman regularly meets political leaders to lobby on behalf of developing nations and has visited countries including Ethiopia and Mexico to try to improve the lives of the world's poor.

But U2 sparked criticism in 2006 by shifting part of their business affairs from Ireland to the Netherlands after a cap on generous tax breaks for artists in their home country.

At the time, Irish politicians branded U2's move a cynical ploy, leading to accusations that, while the band were urging the Government to give more money to relieve poverty, they were denying it the funds to do so.

Last year, U2 members were the highest-earning musicians in the world, raking in approximately £80m.

Protesters also aim to draw attention to what they say is the 'bigger picture' of the impact of tax avoidance on Ireland's economy. They plan to float an oversized bundle of fake cash across the crowd, from an Irish tricolour on one side of the spectators to a Dutch flag on the other, during the band's set at the rock festival in Somerset on June 24.

Tax expert and anti-poverty campaigner Richard Murphy said: 'If Bono thinks he is just like any other Irishman, he should pay his taxes like everyone else. That is the only way for Ireland to break out of the mess it is in.' A spokesman for U2, who are on tour in Vancouver, was unavailable for comment yesterday and Glastonbury organisers also declined to comment.

The band's manager, Paul McGuinness, has previously claimed: 'U2 is a global business and pays taxes globally...at least 95% of U2's business takes place outside of Ireland and as a result the band pays many different kinds of taxes all over the world.' Bono has been reluctant to explain the tax strategy, but the band's guitarist The Edge has admitted: 'Of course we want to be taxefficient - who doesn't?' Art Uncut's plans follow a wave of protests against wealthy Britons who are believed to be using tax-avoidance strategies as Britain struggles to pay off its huge budget deficit.

Philip Green's Topshop, Boots and Fortnum and Mason have all been targeted by campaigners recently. U2 pulled out of last year's Glastonbury Festival after Bono hurt his back. This year they will join billtoppers Beyonce and Coldplay.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/tax/article.html?in_article_id=535660&in_page_id=11#ixzz1OPxH44gG

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a mixed bag. Anyone with common sense tries to do business in a way that keeps them from paying more taxes than is necessary. Anyone who says otherwise is not being realistic. However, with that said, Bono is not just "anyone". Is it a double standard - yes. Is it fair - I don't know.

Another band I'm a fan of, despite not being all that great since the ZooTV Tour had finished... They had too much to live up to I think and just couldn't hack it. No band really could live up to that though I reckon. They still have it as a live act and have made the odd really good song, but in my eyes their only good album since Zooropa was ATYCLB

Guest howyousawtheworld
Another band I'm a fan of, despite not being all that great since the ZooTV Tour had finished... They had too much to live up to I think and just couldn't hack it. No band really could live up to that though I reckon. They still have it as a live act and have made the odd really good song, but in my eyes their only good album since Zooropa was ATYCLB

A lot think that way but I'm not a massive fan of ATYCLB. I actually prefer How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb but I think No Line On The Horizon is better than both. That was their best since Zooropa in my opinion.

Speaking of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, take a look @ this wonderful performance of one of the best songs from that album

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd01FObU3Q4]YouTube - ‪U2 - City of Blinding Lights (Live at the Brooklyn Bridge)‬‏[/ame]

Guest howyousawtheworld

I'm doubting whether we'll see any release from U2 this year. They've been working on a few records apparently. A dance/club sounding record (!) as well as Songs of Ascent and possibly a rockier sounding one. I'm thinking they've just lumped it all together. And I don't know what has come from the Dangermouse sessions either.

Here you go:

U2 have delayed plans to release a new album in 2011, and tell Rolling Stone their next studio album probably won't be released until 2012. The band has been working regularly on new material during their extensive U2 360 tour but Adam Clayton says, "We had to have a meeting and look at the schedule to see if we could pick up any extra time to work on it and we just realized that we couldn't. To be honest, everyone was a bit gutted. But it was the only sensible decision." U2 will return to the studio later this year and revisit material recorded with producer Danger Mouse, while scrapping their work with Lady Gaga's producer RedOne. Manager Paul McGuinness also revealed that U2 plan to "recycle" the pieces of their giant "claw" stage as permanent event spaces.

Here you go:

U2 have delayed plans to release a new album in 2011, and tell Rolling Stone their next studio album probably won't be released until 2012. The band has been working regularly on new material during their extensive U2 360 tour but Adam Clayton says, "We had to have a meeting and look at the schedule to see if we could pick up any extra time to work on it and we just realized that we couldn't. To be honest, everyone was a bit gutted. But it was the only sensible decision." U2 will return to the studio later this year and revisit material recorded with producer Danger Mouse, while scrapping their work with Lady Gaga's producer RedOne. Manager Paul McGuinness also revealed that U2 plan to "recycle" the pieces of their giant "claw" stage as permanent event spaces.

a little disappointing.

I want to hear the Rick Rubin material, and 'Songs From Ascent' but there is another record here. I guess there is too much work going on with the Spiderman musical?

who knows....I'm more excited for the new Coldplay LP then U2, so next year might be better so they can make it theirs

Guest howyousawtheworld

Thought as much. It didn't seem logical releasing an album soon after the end of touring. Disappointed. Just wondered what has happened of the Songs of Ascent material that was planned for late 2009 release. Thinking some or most of that material has been reworked on by Danger Mouse and the band. I'm not taking chances of a U2 record being released next year either. 2013 is just as likely I think.

Also W1ll1am7 - wasn't the Rick Rubin material from back in 2006/2007 which were eventually scrapped in favour of going back to Eno and Lanois? I don't know if Rick Rubin would have been a great producer for them though. Would have loved to see them work with William Orbit for a full album though.

Here you go:

I always knew it would end up like this... So that's the Rick Rubin material, the Danger Mouse album and Songs of Ascent out of the window for good is it? Or will the new album be one of those projects? Or a combination of them all? ._.

Like I said though, I always had a feeling it'd get to the point where they'd be like "Nah, we can't start recording properly until 360 is over." and then deciding on a 2012 release date. I like that they're looking as if they'll start releasing albums faster though. :)