🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

U2

@Allegra

You've been a fan for 15 before you saw them? :o I've been a fan for 1,5 months and I wanna see them so bad. :D And Coldplay.

I think I'll wait until they update that Encyclopedia, in the meantime, the internet and you people provide all the answers.

They changed the Claw 3x? And somebody bought them? What the fuck are they going to do with them? :wideeyed:

@Angela

I forgot to mention, as someone said before, if their dance album is along the lines of that I'll Go Crazy remix, I'll like it. :nod:

They should use real percussion instruments to make it sound more organic, but still dance-y, with Latin and African beats. That'd be great!

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name (ZOO TV - Live from Sydney 1993) [16:9] - YouTube[/url]

I just watched this and I felt the same way... inexplicable joy and optimism in those chimes.

And that beat, like galloping horses. It actually makes you wanna run.

P.S. Damn it Bono, screw the clothing line, finish those albums.

P.P.S. Do they call themselves Bono and Edge or Paul and David? :D

I remember when I first watched Zoo TV Live From Sydney and this one really sent shivers down my spine. The intro with Zoo Station and the transition from Until The End Of The World to New Years Day also sent shivers down my spine but that was something else....and I was only watching it on my own tv! The way they front loaded the show with Achtung Baby was incredible. Zoo TV was the Sgt Pepper of live touring. It changed everything. To this day though, I have never heard a more captivating, incredible song performed that isn't Where The Streets Have No Name.

I remember when I first watched Zoo TV Live From Sydney and this one really sent shivers down my spine. The intro with Zoo Station and the transition from Until The End Of The World to New Years Day also sent shivers down my spine but that was something else....and I was only watching it on my own tv! The way they front loaded the show with Achtung Baby was incredible. Zoo TV was the Sgt Pepper of live touring. It changed everything. To this day though, I have never heard a more captivating, incredible song performed that isn't Where The Streets Have No Name.

Have you seen them live?

Look at Bono's face @5:19.

I cannot imagine how he must feel when he looks at that sea of people singing back his lyrics.

It's gotta be a whole nother level being in the audience instead of just watching it on the screen.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Have you seen them live?

I cannot imagine how he must feel when he looks at that sea of people singing back his lyrics.

It's gotta be a whole nother level being in the audience instead of just watching it on the screen.

Never seen them live. Genuinely never been in a position to see them live which is disappointing, which is why I am desperate for them to tour again so I can see them.

I also like your point earlier about Coldplay being more "bad ass" like Bullet the Blue Sky. Violet Hill was a proper gritty rock song that was brilliant but that's the closest. Major Minus is awesome but I much prefer the live version than the studio version. They should really go back to writing dark songs but do so in a different way.

Never seen them live. Genuinely never been in a position to see them live which is disappointing, which is why I am desperate for them to tour again so I can see them.

I also like your point earlier about Coldplay being more "bad ass" like Bullet the Blue Sky. Violet Hill was a proper gritty rock song that was brilliant but that's the closest. Major Minus is awesome but I much prefer the live version than the studio version. They should really go back to writing dark songs but do so in a different way.

I'm sure they'll tour again and I hope we'll get the chance to see them.

Yeah, definitely. Violet Hill is the ONLY proper rock song on the album, the only song they can perform without playing back strings and weird instruments. Too bad there weren't more songs like that on VLV. And Major Minus is the only "badass" song on MX. It's a shame they portion control their badassness and proper rockiness, so I wish that they would just go in that direction completely for the next album. The studio tweaks don't bother me, U2 does that a lot. They don't have to be completely stripped down songs like on their first 2 albums. I don't mind them experimenting.

Oh Lory, always with the supermodels. :P That Spider-Man stage show sounds stupid. Why would he associate himself with this.

Bono's wife must be very understanding. I've seen him kissing fans on the lips, like this woman, partying with supermodels etc. Interesting... :D

There's also a picture floating around out there from years ago where he's tonguing...one of the Oasis brothers, if I recall rightly :p. Bono will flirt with pretty much anything that moves.

I've pretty much stayed out of the whole "Spider-Man" debacle. I heard a song from the show that Bono and Edge wrote on some show once, can't remember which one. And I've heard about the nightmare disasters that kept befalling the thing. And that's as aware as I've been of the whole mess.

^

She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life

Knows I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

There's a part of me in the chaos that's quiet

And there's a part of you that wants me to riot

So his wife wants him to french other dudes. xD

@Allegra

You've been a fan for 15 before you saw them? :o I've been a fan for 1,5 months and I wanna see them so bad. :D And Coldplay.

I think I'll wait until they update that Encyclopedia, in the meantime, the internet and you people provide all the answers.

They changed the Claw 3x? And somebody bought them? What the fuck are they going to do with them? :wideeyed:

Yes! There were 3 Claws! Since it almost took a whole week to build and breakdown each Claw and with the tour schedule having only a few days apart for each city, that's when they decided to go with 3 stages. Most bands order/rent 2 stages on a tour so that they leap frog from city to city on the tour schedule. That's how bands like U2 and Coldplay play in 2 different cities back to back.

And when they sold the claws, there was a special website where you could go to see the advertisement. Basically, it was only the skeleton structure that was up for sale. As far as the speakers that hung from it and the 360 video screen as well as the needle, they kept that. Anyway, they sold it as a stage structure or could have been the outer part to a building.

Here's a documentary on how the Claw was created by scratch and how they did the whole thing...it's mind blowing...even the guys were blown away too!...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpk8wRhoRnQ&context=C48b4e62ADvjVQa1PpcFMdl7qY9GcxjEo2aNim15flcJLPhJDKMnI=]U2 360° - Creating The 360 Tour [The production of The Tour] (With Subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, I see. 3 identical Claws, not 3 different versions. I guess it makes sense, logistics-wise. That is NOT a normal stage.

I'll watch that video now. :wideeyed:

Edit: That is the epicest man-made object I have ever seen. :stunned: Or at least, hands down the most impressive stage.

Have you seen them live?

Bono has said before that he doesn't feel right unless he's in front of 25,000-60,000 people each night. He says he feels right at home on stage. In person he's very quiet and almost shy-like, but he's a very sweet man. Basically, he's the total opposite off stage.

And being in the audience of a U2 concert is like nothing you've ever experienced before in your life. I thought back in 2001 I was just going to another rock concert like Sting or George Michael, but I didn't. Most rocks shows you just need to see only once. But with experiencing a live U2 show, you get a much different feeling...after your first show, you'll want to see them a million times again. It's a feeling that can't be described with words. It goes from a rock show to being something very spiritual. When Bono says God is in the house...he is! It's like going to church but better. Their live music totally touches you to the core. After your first show you'll shout, "I get it!!! I can't explain it, but I get it!!!" And then you'll find yourself wiping away all those tears. After Bono hurt his back in 2010 and the threat of them to never come back, all those thoughts came back to me while at their re-opening show in Denver of last year. I was so happy they were back and healthy with even a new set list. I was a sobbing mess during the first half of the show. It was like I couldn't turn it off!

Anyway, mark my word, you'll remember the date of your first U2 show as if it were your birthday.

Mine was November 25, 2001, in Dallas, Texas, at Reunion Arena, and I was 7 rows up on the lower balcony on Adam's side of the stage...it makes me teary eyed just even thinking about it or even watching this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gAXrSECMss]U2 - ELEVATION DALLAS, TX (Reunion Arena) 2001 - YouTube[/ame]

Has anyone heard the second disc of the deluxe edition of The Joshua Tree? Got it yesterday, some good songs on there like Luminous Times and Wave of Sorrow.

Yes! And yes there are some good tunes on there. If you have the special edition with the DVD, there's an easter egg of them as the Dalton Brothers. It's very funny!

Oh Lory, always with the supermodels. :P That Spider-Man stage show sounds stupid. Why would he associate himself with this.

Bono's wife must be very understanding. I've seen him kissing fans on the lips, like this woman, partying with supermodels etc. Interesting... :D

Exactly.

Bono loves all women. If he could kiss them all, I think he would. But his wife, Ali, is not the jealous type at all. She knows he's flirty with the women folk, but she knows she's the only woman in the world that gets him in bed...and that is pretty satisfying. Shoot, I'd probably feel the same way if I were her too! Besides, Bono loves Ali very much. And over there in Europe, it's custom to kiss the girls...right? But yes, he has kissed famous women and fans on the lips for years...it's nothing. Ali knows who the real woman is in Bono's life...and so does Bono.

Bono has said before that he doesn't feel right unless he's in front of 25,000-60,000 people each night. He says he feels right at home on stage. In person he's very quiet and almost shy-like, but he's a very sweet man. Basically, he's the total opposite off stage.

And being in the audience of a U2 concert is like nothing you've ever experienced before in your life. I thought back in 2001 I was just going to another rock concert like Sting or George Michael, but I didn't. Most rocks shows you just need to see only once. But with experiencing a live U2 show, you get a much different feeling...after your first show, you'll want to see them a million times again. It's a feeling that can't be described with words. It goes from a rock show to being something very spiritual. When Bono says God is in the house...he is! It's like going to church but better. Their live music totally touches you to the core. After your first show you'll shout, "I get it!!! I can't explain it, but I get it!!!" And then you'll find yourself wiping away all those tears. After Bono hurt his back in 2010 and the threat of them to never come back, all those thoughts came back to me while at their re-opening show in Denver of last year. I was so happy they were back and healthy with even a new set list. I was a sobbing mess during the first half of the show. It was like I couldn't turn it off!

Anyway, mark my word, you'll remember the date of your first U2 show as if it were your birthday.

Mine was November 25, 2001, in Dallas, Texas, at Reunion Arena, and I was 7 rows up on the lower balcony on Adam's side of the stage...it makes me teary eyed just even thinking about it or even watching this...

I get it. I do. :nod: That expression I pointed out says it all. And it's like x10 for the fans.

Seems like all great entertainers have that duality within them. MJ was also like that - very shy in person and explosive on the stage.

If Queen didn't master the arena rock, U2 sure did!

Exactly.

Bono loves all women. If he could kiss them all, I think he would. But his wife, Ali, is not the jealous type at all. She knows he's flirty with the women folk, but she knows she's the only woman in the world that gets him in bed...and that is pretty satisfying. Shoot, I'd probably feel the same way if I were her too! Besides, Bono loves Ali very much. And over there in Europe, it's custom to kiss the girls...right? But yes, he has kissed famous women and fans on the lips for years...it's nothing. Ali knows who the real woman is in Bono's life...and so does Bono.

To quote another U2 song:

I could never take a chance

Of losing love to find romance

In the mysterious distance

Between a man and a woman

He does have 4 kids. He can't just give in to the groupies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WybiA263bw]U2 - Sweetest Thing - YouTube[/ame]

:smug2:

This is a pretty popular little song. At least on YT.

^I was thinking of Sweetest Thing too! Basically a birthday song to Ali because back sometime in the late 80's he actually forgot Ali's birthday. Then the song became a B-side way back then, but wasn't remade until the late 90's as seen from the video with her in it!

And now for something really funny...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMPGDPzdAE&feature=related]Hitler Finds Out U2 Tour Gets Postponed - YouTube[/ame]

Heck, I notice that when watching interviews sometimes. Which is why some of the attacks on him I've heard from people over the years always strike me a bit funny. Yeah, he probably does have a bit of an ego. Most musicians do. But he knows when to turn it on and off. He's also very self-deprecating, too.

I have no doubt about that. I really hope to be able to experience this someday.

^

She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life

Knows I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

There's a part of me in the chaos that's quiet

And there's a part of you that wants me to riot

So his wife wants him to french other dudes. xD

:laugh3:

I love what you said, Allegra, about Ali. Very true. I find it really admirable that he's been married to her for 30 years, and that they've been together even longer than that given they met in school. That's incredibly sweet and romantic and very un-rock star-like behavior. And she seems like a really lovely woman, too, from what I've read about her and such. Really patient and understanding and strong and smart (and gorgeous). "The Sweetest Thing" is my favorite U2 video, it's just so freaking adorable and, well, sweet, LOL. Love the song, too.

I'll check out that claw video at some point here, I'm very curious to know how the hell they got that whole thing set up and everything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNm7P2lY9DA]U2 - Miracle Drug (Live) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VHA0WsRUQ]U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Live) - YouTube[/ame]

*chills*

Bono's and Edge's voices match great, like Chris' and Will's.

Guest howyousawtheworld
U2 - Miracle Drug (Live) - YouTube[/url]

*chills*

Bono's and Edge's voices match great, like Chris' and Will's.

The funny thing with Miracle Drug is that for about 6 years after I bought the album I didn't realise it was The Edge singing the 'Beneath the noise' part.

Miracle Drug is a lovely tribute to Christopher Nolan. Found this quote by Bono on wikipedia.

"We all went to the same school and just as we were leaving, a fellow called Christopher Nolan arrived. He had been deprived of oxygen for two hours when he was born, so he was paraplegic. But his mother believed he could understand what was going on and used to teach him at home. Eventually, they discovered a drug that allowed him to move one muscle in his neck. So they attached this unicorn device to his forehead and he learned to type. And out of him came all these poems that he'd been storing up in his head. Then he put out a collection called Dam-Burst of Dreams, which won a load of awards and he went off to university and became a genius. All because of a mother's love and a medical breakthrough."

I've decided to have a proper listen to all of U2's albums. It may be hard to believe, but I've only listened to individual U2 songs before and the only album I have is the U218 Singles compilation :shame:

I've heard some awesome songs that I've never heard before. :wideeyed: Like Electric Co, The Unforgettable Fire, A Sort of Homecoming... I'm on the Joshua Tree at the moment, and is it just me or does the start of Where the Streets Have No Name carry on perfectly from the end of MLK? :awesome: