✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The National

heartswarm

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel like Lemonworld is very depressing, but maybe it's just the music that doesn't feel like that to me and the lyrics are depressing or something. I should pay more attention to lyrics D:

Lyrics mainly. Musically it's just the verse of slow show on repeat, and would be very inspiring with different lyrics.

"This pricey stuff makes me dizzy, I guess I've always been a delicate man. It takes me a day to remember a day, I didn't mean to let it get so far out of hand. I was a comfortable kid, but I don't think about it much anymore..." :(

Other than 90 mile water wall. That can make the toughest man cry.

So true. Last year when they came to Toronto, the first show they played on June 8th I think it was, they actually played it live (damnit, now I am remembering, and am gunna have a stupid grin on my face all day:D ) I have watched it on Youtube, just knocks the breath outta me how amazing it was live.

As to Lemonworld, I love it. Summer loving torture party! That and the fact that I had read it was one of the most difficult songs for them to play live, makes it all the more awesome.

Have to admit though, I came late to the National( I tend to do that with most bands I fall in love with), but once I did...Took a bus down to NY to see them in Central park in 2008, stayed a week there and got serious sunburns :lol:

There are maybe 3(now 4) bands that just strike me. Just take my soul and expose it to the cold air, and then return it to me renewed. Coldplay, (and I seriously need to warn people that sit near me when they come back to Toronto. I must look like a Demon or someone having a religious experience), The National (OMG I love Pay For Me:D and pretty much everything else they have done. And their live shows? I grin like a big ole goof when I see them live.), The Watchmen (I cannot believe they are coming back to Toronto, AND are playing Silent Radar sequentially as well as other songs! Do It? Brighter Hell? I am gonna have this grin stuck on my face forever :laugh3: ) and now, Bon Iver, whose new album I have been listening too non stop for a week.

But back to the National, I think when they first released HV, they went on Austin City Limits and were interviewed about HV and they thought the songs were not depressing. I guess each person brings their own emotions to a song when they listen. I love the fact that you have to listen to the lyrics of a National song, and that they actually make you think. Music like that is rare. Music like that should always be treasured and savoured like a fine wine left to age.

"Never tell the one you want that you do.

Save it for the death bed, when you know you kept her wanting you."

:bigcry:

"Jesus Christ you have confused me. Cornered, wasted, blessed and used me. Forgive me girls I am confused, stiff and pissed and lost and loose..." /violin :cry:

Now I just want to cry. Let's all have a National Cryfest.

baaahhhh Cardinal Song just breaks me into a trillion pieces :bigcry: :cry2:

Every word, the music, just :dead:

Everywhere I am is just another thing without you in it

So awesome :D

I know on the main National forums someone had a clip of them playing Santa Clara in concert recently. Now that's a depressing song. And yet, such an awesome song.

I think they should dedicate a concert to an album, and do every song from the album. I choose The Virginia EP, mainly because I want to hear Tall Saint, Blank Slate, Santa Clara, You've Done It Again, Virginia, and Mansion on the Hill :D Then do hits from all the other albums ( Of course if they do this I hope they are close to Toronto so I can make the journey to see them;) )

I don't really see their music as depressing. They have a lot of sad songs, but they use a lot of dark humour, which is perfect for me, cos it's not too much melodrama. Maybe if you listen to them with that in mind it'll help?

"Gonna tackle young girls off their beautiful bikes" :dance:

And for exactly this I love them.

totalz, see you in NYC ;)

Ah I really would love to hear Santa Clara live! no wait, i REALLY want to hear Guest Room live! loooooooove that song

I would really love to hear ANY song live :bigcry:

They're playing in my country (festival). Should I go? I'm not really into them right now, but I'll be sad if I miss the chance now and then soon after start listening to them.

I really like Terrible Love, Bloodbuzz Ohio and Conversation 16...Could someone make me a list of songs I need to hear? :D

They're playing in my country (festival). Should I go? I'm not really into them right now, but I'll be sad if I miss the chance now and then soon after start listening to them.

I really like Terrible Love, Bloodbuzz Ohio and Conversation 16...Could someone make me a list of songs I need to hear? :D

Yes, go!

Uhm all of them:

Driver, Suprise Me - Abel single

ALL OF ALLIGATOR

ALL OF BOXER

ALL OF HIGH VIOLET

Wasp Nest - cherry tree EP

About Today - cherry tree EP

Exile Vilify

Think you can wait

^from the single exile vilify/think you can wait

American mary, pay for me, john's star from their self titled...

Cardinal song, slipping husband, 90 MILE WATER WALL, it never happened, fashion coat, patterns of fairytales, Lucky You.... uhm basically all of Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers.... :shifty:

Sleep All Summer (Crooked Fingers cover) featuring the queen of the earth and all the universe, St. Vincent

Santa Clara, Blank Slate, Without Permission ... from The Virginia EP

SO I HOPE THAT NARROWED IT DOWN FOR YOU

JUST GO LISTEN TO EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER RECORDED :dazzled: :dead:

Yes, go!

Uhm all of them:

Driver, Suprise Me - Abel single

ALL OF ALLIGATOR

ALL OF BOXER

ALL OF HIGH VIOLET

Wasp Nest - cherry tree EP

About Today - cherry tree EP

Exile Vilify

Think you can wait

^from the single exile vilify/think you can wait

American mary, pay for me, john's star from their self titled...

Cardinal song, slipping husband, 90 MILE WATER WALL, it never happened, fashion coat, patterns of fairytales, Lucky You.... uhm basically all of Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers.... :shifty:

Sleep All Summer (Crooked Fingers cover) featuring the queen of the earth and all the universe, St. Vincent

Santa Clara, Blank Slate, Without Permission ... from The Virginia EP

SO I HOPE THAT NARROWED IT DOWN FOR YOU

JUST GO LISTEN TO EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER RECORDED :dazzled: :dead:

What Ivet said...^

Also what Jo said.

GO.