✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The National

heartswarm

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are their other albums less depressing? Cuz I genuinely like High Violet but fuq man, I could never EVER take a whole nother album of this shit on top of that. I'm listening to it now and I'm just lying here going like, "omg it's so beautiful but the world is so fucking cruel dear god I hate life nothing will ever be fair and life isn't fair but omg NOOO :bigcry:"

Alligator is a much less depressing album than HV imho. I would say the same for Boxer if the closing stretch was less melancholic than it is. I'm inclined to say that HV is their most consistently depressing album...though some individual songs on previous albums (Sad songs for Dirty Lovers jumps out) hit higher peaks of anguish and existential angst. :( :beatnik:

Are their other albums less depressing? Cuz I genuinely like High Violet but fuq man, I could never EVER take a whole nother album of this shit on top of that. I'm listening to it now and I'm just lying here going like, "omg it's so beautiful but the world is so fucking cruel dear god I hate life nothing will ever be fair and life isn't fair but omg NOOO :bigcry:"

could never take another album like that EVER

I don't really see their music as depressing. They have a lot of sad songs, but they use a lot of dark humour, which is perfect for me, cos it's not too much melodrama. Maybe if you listen to them with that in mind it'll help?

"Gonna tackle young girls off their beautiful bikes" :dance:

Alligator is a much less depressing album than HV imho. I would say the same for Boxer if the closing stretch was less melancholic than it is. I'm inclined to say that HV is their most consistently depressing album...though some individual songs on previous albums (Sad songs for Dirty Lovers jumps out) hit higher peaks of anguish and existential angst. :( :beatnik:

:heart:

Looking for somewhere to stand and stay

I leaned on the wall and the wall leaned away

Can I get a minute of not being nervous

And not thinking of my dick

My leg is sparkles, my leg is pins

I better get my shit together, better gather my shit in

You could drive a car through my head in five minutes

From one side of it to the other

I wanna hurry home to you

Put on a slow, dumb show for you

Crack you up

So you can put a blue ribbon on my brain

God I'm very very frightening

I'll overdo it

I would say Alligator is probably their least depressing overall. Though it does contain some very sad moments - Val Jester is hard to listen to sometimes just because of the pure emotion - it's also got almost all of their most fun, upbeat and energetic tracks such as Lit Up, Abel and Mr. November.