✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

25-Jul-08: Philadelphia - Wachovia Center - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Great review, Dave! I wish I was there ~ I'm suffering from serious Coldplay concert withdrawal symptoms.

I never knew there was such thing until the next morning after the second show in Chicago, I felt so sad it was all over

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet money they all went back to NYC right after the show. Chris' family is there so why wouldnt' he go back to spend the night with them and then fly out from nyc the next day. but, that's just a guess.

Has anyone but me noticed that Chris is acting a bit different in these shows. He looks exhausted and like he might pass out right then and there. And his "dancing" around the stage is so much more erratic.? A couple of vids I've watched and also from last night, he looked like he could just pass out from exhaustion. He also seems less focused, more in a tizzy. Just my humble opinion.

I noticed, but I'm just hoping for the best. It does me no good to worry about it, though I probably will anyway.

Glad everyone had a good time! Question for you. From what I have gathered from going throught this thread, they did everything like usual with the catwalks. What I need you to tell me is which catwalk Jonny walked down during In My Place. I know he went down the one on his side (left) where Chris and him share a moment during each show. Did Jonny go to the other catwalk by himself during that song? Or at any other time during this show? Thanks.

[Oxfam Blog] Winding our way to Whistler.

Source: http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=31

Take action: http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?page_id=2

Canada and the Rocky Mountains.. the latest destination of the Coldplay Tour. It’s the day of their headline slot at the Pemberton Festival, which will also see Jay-Z perform before the London boys take to the main stage. Quite an impressive pair of headliners. Surely rumours of a collaboration will circulate the site. We shall wait and see.

Philadelphia Wachovia Center was the last to play host to Coldplay’s sold out show. A night to remember for thousands more fans before the tour headed for it’s 4 dates in Canada. A few of those fans being dedicated enough to show their appreciation by handing out ‘Viva La Coldplay’ and ‘USA Still Loves Coldplay’ signs to the audience. This was the idea of http://www.coldplaying.com to follow in the footsteps of a previous stunt at the end of the Twisted Logic tour. These dedicated fans also kindly gave their time to hand out Oxfam postcards to raise awareness. The message being a joint one, of appreciation for a great band, and that together, we can change the world.

Oxfam America will for now hand over the reigns to Oxfam groups in Canada and Quebec. Volunteers will be there at the Pemberton festival and again in Montreal and Toronto. The crew travelled tirelessly, merging two days into one to get here.. Today I found myself in Vancouver and then winding our way through the stunning Rocky Mountains to Whistler. What a tour. What a trip. Apparently one of the guys spotted a bear.. I was too busy looking at the snow tipped mountains and waterfalls on my side of the van. It’s time I went to bed, before my day merges into three.

Coldplay takes jab at Fox pundit

PHILADELPHIA -- Bill O'Reilly's ears must have been burning Friday night.

After an evening of super-sized anthems and even bigger sing-a-longs, Coldplay left the stage and completed their main set in the back of Wachovia Center Friday night, surrounded by a sold out crowd of 20,000 fans as they performed a pair of acoustic songs in section 105.

After finishing an acoustic, guitar-based "The Scientist," singer Chris Martin received celebratory fist bumps from fans.

"There are terrorist fist jabs all over the place," Martin said, joking about a Fox News anchor who used the phrase in June to describe Barack Obama's fist bump with his wife, Michelle. "Don't tell Fox News!"

Soon after, the foursome left the cheap seats and began their journey through the bowels of the arena for the show's encore back on the main stage. While the crowd waited, they were treated to a clip of O'Reilly calling the band "pinheads" for bashing Fox News at their concerts, eliciting an avalanche of boos.

Then, a techno song played as sped-up clips of President Bush, Vice President Cheney and Karl Rove dancing interspersed with images of explosions in Iraq and former President Nixon.

For a band that has seemingly taken great pains to be everything to everybody in an attempt to become The Biggest Band in the World, the pointed detour into American politics by the British band was somewhat jarring.

But when the band reappeared, they emerged with the night's best moment: a forceful "Politik" off their Grammy-winning "A Rush of Blood to the Head" from 2002.

"Open up your eyes, open up your eyes," Martin sang. "Wounds that heal and cracks that fix, tell me your own politik."

As was the case for much of the night, Coldplay's songs from their first two albums had more great moments, whether they be more delicate like "In My Place" or a bit more muscular, as was the night's version of "Yellow." (Martin said "Yellow" was the song that first brought them to Philadelphia, joking that the year was 1971. The crowd, oblivious to his attempted humor, roared. "I don't think many of you were alive in 1971," he responded.)

The band has sold nearly 40 million albums since they first appeared with "Yellow" -- in 2000, for the record. And on this night, they marched through nearly every song from their latest album, "Viva la Vida," produced by longtime U2 collaborator Brian Eno.

Unlike their earlier work, which may not have been genetically engineered for arena and stadium shows, "Viva" was made exactly for this moment: 20,000 Philadelphia fans looking for a show.

And that's what they got.

Whether it be the massive amounts of neon confetti blown into the crowd or the live footage of the band shown on a giant screen behind them, there was as much intriguing visual art as musical meat.

But the bombast backfired at times as the show left no room for the intimacy that some of Coldplay's songs yearn for. The sweet "Fix You" was pimped out with Martin skipping across the stage doing high leg kicks reminiscent of Van Morrison during The Band's "Last Waltz" concert as fans sang the chorus.

The band also ventured onto a runway and into the audience for a pair of songs. Even though they were in a far more cozy setting once they were off the expansive main stage, they sped through a techno version of "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" almost as if they were afraid to lose momentum by indulging a quieter, slower song.

And maybe they were right. The audience stood for the entire 2-hour, 21-song extravaganza, singing along to songs from 2000 just as loudly as they did for the newest tunes from "Viva la Vida," released in June.

Even though Coldplay took an abrupt detour to mock Fox News and the Bush Administration, they proved their investment in sweeping anthems has paid off.

The band that began as an alternative rock band is now anything but.

They really are a band that is everything to everyone. And when Martin called his own group a "young, soft rock band" at one point in the night, it was hard to tell if there was any sarcasm in his voice.

But to be fair and balanced, Coldplay proved themselves Friday night as arguably one of the few bands that could possibly claim the title as the Biggest Band in the World.

And if they fall short, they can certainly lay claim as the Biggest Young, Soft Rock Band in the World.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/NEWS/80726006

Source: http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=31

Take action: http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?page_id=2

Canada and the Rocky Mountains.. the latest destination of the Coldplay Tour. It’s the day of their headline slot at the Pemberton Festival, which will also see Jay-Z perform before the London boys take to the main stage. Quite an impressive pair of headliners. Surely rumours of a collaboration will circulate the site. We shall wait and see.

Philadelphia Wachovia Center was the last to play host to Coldplay’s sold out show. A night to remember for thousands more fans before the tour headed for it’s 4 dates in Canada. A few of those fans being dedicated enough to show their appreciation by handing out ‘Viva La Coldplay’ and ‘USA Still Loves Coldplay’ signs to the audience. This was the idea of www.coldplaying.com to follow in the footsteps of a previous stunt at the end of the Twisted Logic tour. These dedicated fans also kindly gave their time to hand out Oxfam postcards to raise awareness. The message being a joint one, of appreciation for a great band, and that together, we can change the world.

Oxfam America will for now hand over the reigns to Oxfam groups in Canada and Quebec. Volunteers will be there at the Pemberton festival and again in Montreal and Toronto. The crew travelled tirelessly, merging two days into one to get here.. Today I found myself in Vancouver and then winding our way through the stunning Rocky Mountains to Whistler. What a tour. What a trip. Apparently one of the guys spotted a bear.. I was too busy looking at the snow tipped mountains and waterfalls on my side of the van. It’s time I went to bed, before my day merges into three.

That's great! Well done everyone who put that together :D

Jonny stayed to the left during In My Place. At one point Chris ran right into him and tried to knowck him off of his balance. But no, Jonny never made it over to the right side.

Glad everyone had a good time! Question for you. From what I have gathered from going throught this thread, they did everything like usual with the catwalks. What I need you to tell me is which catwalk Jonny walked down during In My Place. I know he went down the one on his side (left) where Chris and him share a moment during each show. Did Jonny go to the other catwalk by himself during that song? Or at any other time during this show? Thanks.

I had a good angle when Jonny came down Guy's runway. I got a picture somewhere but u can clearly see Jonny looking over by you guys and the sign

Jonny stayed to the left during In My Place. At one point Chris ran right into him and tried to knowck him off of his balance. But no, Jonny never made it over to the right side.

MIKE! You are the man! You can see the banner!!!

edit: Just looked at the pic again...he's playing right to us...AM DEAD:bomb::bomb::dead:

Thanks Jasmyne! That confirms it! He only came down Guy's ramp when he was in Chicago 7-23, which means he was very likely playing there for Mel and I. Thank so much Jasmyne and Mike for helping me to confirm this. Mel, I knew it! Believe it! Jonny went out of his way during the freakin concert to come stand by US during IMP, playing to us!!! Shy Jonny left his comfort zone for us! Can you f#^&*ing believe that, what he did for us!?!?!

***THUD***

Thanks Jasmyne! That confirms it! He only came down Guy's ramp when he was in Chicago 7-23, which means he was very likely playing there for Mel and I. Thank so much Jasmyne and Mike for helping me to confirm this. Mel, I knew it! Believe it! Jonny went out of his way during the freakin concert to come stand by US during IMP, playing to us!!! Shy Jonny left his comfort zone for us! Can you f#^&*ing believe that, what he did for us!?!?!

***THUD***

:D

did anyone else notice that the crwd just wasnt into it for strawberry swing this was the only song where i felt like i was the only one singing along hmmm strange:confused:

Yeah, I kinda did. I couldn't tell if people were just soaking it in or bored with it. It's not a massive sing-along, but I don't know. I love the song, but there's not much they can do with it live.

Dave

Oh HIIII! You were there last nite?!! remember me, I was the one who did you the huge favor of taking those MSG tix off your hands;). You're my coldplaying HERO:D, I'll never forget it. Seems like you had awesome seats, these are great pictures!!!!

And seeing all the vids for Green Eyes and The Scientist, DeathWillNeverConquer, The Dubliners...makes me wish they'd do a completely acoustic show. Just the 4 of them, a couple guitars...simple. I'd LOVE it!!! I'd pay good money for 1.5hr of just that. To me those moments are more memorable, sincere, and feel more "Coldplay"(the way I think of them) than all the lights and gizmos. (not that they're not fun!)

hey! i was there and the concert was awsm. glad to hear u were there too :)

i got some vids too:

lovers in japan:

green eyes:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGttDratnlI

Guys saying goodbye!! :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBFkCZA99FQ

Ivette, you must have been literally right next to me when you were taking those pics of johnny on the ramp. The guy in the 4th pic looking twords the camera was the security guard that gave my friend the setlist.

God, what an amazing show..I was so sad when it was over but I still have next weekend in DC to look forward too :)

haha

thats so funny i bet i was close, those seats were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Originally Posted by professa95;2464008

did anyone else notice that the crwd just wasnt into it for strawberry swing this was the only song where i felt like i was the only one singing along hmmm strange:confused:

Yeah, I kinda did. I couldn't tell if people were just soaking it in or bored with it. It's not a massive sing-along, but I don't know. I love the song, but there's not much they can do with it live.

Dave

In my section, I think it was pretty much just me singing along; as soon as I saw Will & Guy start clapping, I stuck my hands out and clapped with them to keep the beat, and then a few more people joined. But people didn't seem bored with it, more like they just didn't know it. I did hear some people singing far off, but that could be just us few who knew it, spread out throughout the arena :lol:.

To be honest, this song is not one of my faves from the album, but live is always better, and fun to clap along with. And every time you're at a show and can sing out "IT'S SUCH A PERFECT DAY!" you know you mean it :D

Hey Philly!

Job well done! Thanks much for helping Oxfam America reach out to Coldplay fans at the Wachovia Center.

And we're glad many of you got to meet Pete, Oxfam's touring staff person.

In case you didn't see, Pete kept his promise and gave a nice shoutout to Coldplaying.com on Oxfam's Coldplay Tour blog:

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/

And special thanks to Jonah Delso and his band, who rocked an Oxfam America shirt on stage during their opening set.

For more info on how you can help our local volunteer group, the Philadelphia Oxfam Action Corps, check their blog here.

logo_h_ko_bw.gif