✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

30-Jul-08: Toronto - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 29/30 Oct]

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain where these soundcheck parties are and how to get in.

Sign up for Best Buy Reward Zone... That's where you get them from... I'm not sure what cities will have them... They only gave out 50 pairs of passes on a first come first served basis.

Wow GreenEyes!! Are you sure you weren't on the friggin stage with them? What kind of seats did you have? Your pics are awesome!!:shocked2:

Awe, thanks :) If I was on the stage I would be too busy having a heart attack to take pictures, haha. I was in row 6 on the floor... in the centre.

Fabulous show last night – here’s a few photos from last night, and a link to more (and a few short video clips) – enjoy! :)

Coldplay - Toronto, July 2008

2718184639_a52d08d299.jpg

2718182295_9643a637cf.jpg

Your pics are incredible !!

and the vids are awesome too, ahh if only i culd go back :)

thanks !

The camera issue is no problem at all. Last night was my 3rd time seeing them at ACC, and security just checks your bag and that's it. My camera was in plain sight and he just asked me to throw out my water bottle! Weird - you're not allowed to take in water bottles :confused: but cameras are okay!

And there were a ton of cameras in the audience!! So don't worry about it, and enjoy!!

I go to alot of hockey games and anything you go to at the ACC you can't bring ANY food in with you. That's what they are checking for, they want you to buy the overpriced food they sell there

Wow, I'm so jealous - the AFTERPARTY??!! Did I hear correctly that it was at The Lobby? Was it private? :cool:

Yeah it was at the Lobby and it was private. You had to have a blue wrist band. I took a pic of it and the backstage pass:

Really really big pic.

Was it at the venue or elsewhere? Did you have a backstage pass or something? How did you pull that off? Did you get molested?

The after party was at a club/bar thing called The Lobby. I had a backstage pass but that was just for the concert and I had a blue wrist band for the party. My family knows Chloe so...

Okaay here goes my review:

Before the show I stayed at a house which is where Chloe was and the baby. Then we drove to the Air Canada centre and got our tickets. Chloe took us backstage and we hung out in the "Coldplay Family Room" but the guys were getting ready to go on stage obviously, so we didn't see them then. I got to talk to Chloe for a bit about Violet and stuff like that.

Then we went to our seats and we were sitting to the right of the stage. AWESOME seats. I sat beside Chloe and it was soo adorable. When Jonny came over to our side and went down that ramp thing, he was scanning the crowd and then he saw Chloe and he gave her the biggest smile. Awww.

So we rocked out for the whole amazing concert and okay, I don't know why, but I had to keep myself from crying so much. Like when they came on stage I almost burst out crying, I don't know why. And when they played Fix You I almost cried too but I didn't want to infront of everyone haha. It was amazing.

After the show Chloe took us backstage again and we waited around in the family room thing again and then Jonny came out. You wouldn't be able to tell he's some dude in a world famous band. He's so down to Earth and chill. He's shy too, which makes him even more adorable. I was standing with Chloe when he came in the room so he obviously went over to her and I got to shake his hand. He was at my cousin's wedding 3 years ago but I didn't say anything to him because I didn't want to bug him so I was really happy to be able to meet him formally.

Later I saw tons of photos of him with Violet and that baby is honestly the most adorable thing in this world, hahah.

Umm and then Chloe insisted it was okay to get a photo with Jonny because I didn't want to bug him. But he was very nice about it. Chloe even took the picture on his iphone and then sent it to me. O:

jonny2igz5.jpg

K so I'm the most awkward person alive but whatever. There's the picture, and don't mind my face. It kinda wrecks it. xD

Then after that was the after party at The Lobby. I am not a party girl at all and I'm only 15 so this was definitely weird for me. But the whole band eventually showed up and at one point I was 5 feet away from Chris and we made eye contact and smiled at each other. Haha I was too nervous to say anything and he was in the middle of a conversation, so. But it was really cute because the band came in and started hugging each other and Will and Chris were dancing for a few seconds. xD I also brushed shoulders with Guy but he was in a conversation so I didn't say anything.

It was Will's birthday, well technically, because it was like 1am so people brought in cake and we sang him happy birthday.

I just talked to Chloe a lot (who is, by the way, so effing adorable.)

Then Chloe and Jonny were going to go because they wanted to check up on Violet and everything so I said by to Jonny and we both said it was nice meeting each other and they were off!

It was amazing.

Yeah it was at the Lobby and it was private. You had to have a blue wrist band. I took a pic of it and the backstage pass:

Really really big pic.

The after party was at a club/bar thing called The Lobby. I had a backstage pass but that was just for the concert and I had a blue wrist band for the party. My family knows Chloe so...

Before the show I stayed at a house which is where Chloe was and the baby. Then we drove to the Air Canada centre and got our tickets. Chloe took us backstage and we hung out in the "Coldplay Family Room" but the guys were getting ready to go on stage obviously, so we didn't see them then. I got to talk to Chloe for a bit about Violet and stuff like that.

Then we went to our seats and we were sitting to the right of the stage. AWESOME seats. I sat beside Chloe and it was soo adorable. When Jonny came over to our side and went down that ramp thing, he was scanning the crowd and then he saw Chloe and he gave her the biggest smile. Awww.

So we rocked out for the whole amazing concert and okay, I don't know why, but I had to keep myself from crying so much. Like when they came on stage I almost burst out crying, I don't know why. And when they played Fix You I almost cried too but I didn't want to infront of everyone haha. It was amazing.

After the show Chloe took us backstage again and we waited around in the family room thing again and then Jonny came out. You wouldn't be able to tell he's some dude in a world famous band. He's so down to Earth and chill. He's shy too, which makes him even more adorable. I was standing with Chloe when he came in the room so he obviously went over to her and I got to shake his hand. He was at my cousin's wedding 3 years ago but I didn't say anything to him because I didn't want to bug him so I was really happy to be able to meet him formally.

Later I saw tons of photos of him with Violet and that baby is honestly the most adorable thing in this world, hahah.

Umm and then Chloe insisted it was okay to get a photo with Jonny because I didn't want to bug him. But he was very nice about it. Chloe even took the picture on his iphone and then sent it to me. O:

jonny2igz5.jpg

K so I'm the most awkward person alive but whatever. There's the picture, and don't mind my face. It kinda wrecks it. xD

Then after that was the after party at The Lobby. I am not a party girl at all and I'm only 15 so this was definitely weird for me. But the whole band eventually showed up and at one point I was 5 feet away from Chris and we made eye contact and smiled at each other. Haha I was too nervous to say anything and he was in the middle of a conversation, so. But it was really cute because the band came in and started hugging each other and Will and Chris were dancing for a few seconds. xD I also brushed shoulders with Guy but he was in a conversation so I didn't say anything.

It was Will's birthday, well technically, because it was like 1am so people brought in cake and we sang him happy birthday.

Then Chloe and Jonny were going to go because they wanted to check up on Violet and everything so I said by to Jonny and we both said it was nice meeting each other and they were off!

It was amazing.

Woah! That's amazing!

It's nice that she was so cool about you meeting him.

I remember you telling the story about that wedding you went to a few years ago too. :D

Really really big pic.

jonny2igz5.jpg

It was amazing.

and now the rest of us are all crying :cry:

Just a quick question for those that went last night: When did the show start & end? I need to figure out how I'll be commuting home from the Toronto show tonight. Thanks so much in advance! :)

Santogold came on at 7:45pm and finished at 8:15pm.

Coldplay came on about 9:04pm and finished the last encore at 10:41pm.

LIVE: Coldplay Get Lost

l-coldplay.jpg

July 30, 2008

Air Canada Centre

Toronto, ON

By Kate Harper

Santogold might have been a bit of a strange opener for this show. Though, relatively speaking, there weren't that many people there for her set, the multi-styled songs from her self-titled debut full-length received more cheers than any opening act I've seen at the Air Canada Centre in a while. But by the end of her set it seemed like the audience was getting tired and anxious for the headliners, so she managed to pick up some more cheers by dropping Coldplay's name whenever she could.

Coldplay opened with "Life In Technicolor" while playing behind a black, translucent curtain. This is something Sigur Ros were doing about two years ago. (Interestingly enough, Sigur Ros have also been wearing 18th century military jackets at their recent gigs.) Despite immediately imitating someone else, Coldplay started off strong, running through "Violet Hill" before they got the audience screaming with "Clocks," "In My Place" and "Viva La Vida."

During "In My Place," guitarist Jonny Buckland wandered off onto one of the wings that extended into the crowd on either side of the stage. Chris Martin ran after him and launched himself flying into the air behind him — a strange rock star display during a very un-rock star song — and ended the song lying down, singing on his back.

But things started to get weird during "Yes." The seven-minute track is one of the weakest and most confused on Viva La Vida, and it certainly comes off that way live. Its main problem is it's technically two songs — one that sounds like The Velvet Underground and another "hidden" number that apes My Bloody Valentine — all in a single track. But Coldplay seem to think it should be played as two tracks live, which raises questions about why they didn't split it up on the record. They ran through The Velvet Underground half of the song before transitioning into a lackluster version of the Radiohead-imitating "42."

A full stadium singalong to "Fix You" somewhat buoyed them, but then Coldplay decided to play the second half of "Yes," using electronic drums on a glass part of the stage with white lights underneath. It came off flat again, mainly because it sounds like a different band and it just doesn't translate well live. What was even more confusing was when they ran through "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" after that, still using the electronic drum kit and putting a techno spin on it. But then they cut the song off after one verse and one chorus. Maybe it just wasn't working.

Coldplay redeemed themselves at the end of "Lost!" when they ran off the stage, through the floor seats and up into the Red seats area of the stands for acoustic versions of "The Scientist" and "Death Will Never Conquer" while surrounded by fans. It worked, and the singalong during the former song is probably one of the loudest I've heard anywhere.

Though Coldplay said they were done, they weren't, and before their encore began, a video of Fox News anchor Bill O'Reilly calling Martin "not man enough" to come on his The O'Reilly Factor television show played. They got a jab at him by playing "Politik" and ran through some more songs from Viva La Vida before they left the stage.

But the crowd wasn't having this. The cheering was so loud that they came back on stage to play what Martin said was a "real encore, we haven't unrehearsed" of "Don't Panic" and "The Dubliners" before things were truly finished.

While the audience loved the entire gig and were enthusiastic throughout, Coldplay need to stop trying to sound like other people and find their own shtick again, because it's hurting the quality of their live show. They're four albums in, and they sounded better during the tour for X&Y than they do now.

Here's what Coldplay played:

"Life In Technicolor"

"Violet Hill"

"Clocks"

"In My Place"

"Viva La Vida"

"Yes" (half)

"42"

"Fix You"

"Strawberry Swing"

"Yes" ("hidden" half)

"God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" (shortened)

"Speed Of Sound"

"Yellow"

"Lost!"

"The Scientist"

"Death Will Never Conquer"

"Politik" (first encore)

"Lovers In Japan" (first encore)

"Death And All His Friends" (first encore)

"The Escapist" (first encore)

"Don't Panic" (second encore)

"The Dubliners" (second encore)

http://www.chartattack.com/DAMN/2008/07/3101.cfm