✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

30-Jul-08: Toronto - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 29/30 Oct]

DON'T PANIC! Aaaaahhh lucky!! :cry: :nice::nice:

Absolutly AMAZING! I'm too speechless right now to type... Full review will come tomorrow... and pictures later tonight (that's if they're not all blurry... I was shaking sooo much!)....

They played WARNING SIGN for us at the Sound Check Party!!! It was absolutly unbelievable!! THEN... My heart sunk as I heard something I never thought I'd hear live... "When I counted up my demons..." unfortunately... it stopped there because Chris kept messing up the song! But we got one line of Everything's Not Lost and that's pretty darn cool!

After that... We got to meet the band!

And an amazing show followed...

Like I said, better review tomorrow... I'm too busy being ridiculous amounts of excited right now! I can barely type... I'm sure that all made totally no sense, lol

Congrats on going to the soundcheck party. :)

sdfasdkfjdskf they played Warning Sign AND Everything's Not Lost?!?!

Maaan! *tries hard not to be jealous*

Don't mind me, I'm going through Coldplay concert withdrawals...:embarassed::laugh3:

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one too cool for Coldplay

Coldplay is interested in universals, not small statements.

The U.K. chart-toppers take a beating in some quarters for desperately wanting to be all things to all folks, but in a way, they are: they're almost impossible to dislike when placed in front of you, no matter how cool you think you are.

Personality helps, of course. At the Air Canada Centre last night for the first of two sold-out Toronto shows, pathologically energetic frontman Chris Martin and his rather more heads-down bandmates – guitarist Johnny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion – managed to project an air of slightly awkward, everyman affability even while multicoloured lasers carved the air in front of them and black-lit confetti butterflies rained down in the thousands from the ceiling.

Right now, they're also packing a fat-free set list, too. Last night's 90-minute show whipped by without a lull, serving as a both a reminder of how many massive and massively likeable hit singles this quartet has racked up over just four albums and an argument for the long-fused staying power of its latest, slightly Eno-eccentric record, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.

Most of Viva La Vida made it into the set, which opened with the band whipping up the portentous intro instrumental "Life in Technicolour" behind a black scrim before wobbling just a bit out of the gate with the Beatlesque "Violet Hill" – more of a mid-set place filler than an opener.

No worries after that, however, as the briskly paced show mingled widescreen arena-busters like "Speed of Sound" and an ebullient pre-encore run at the new "Viva La Vida" with girlfriend-melting favourites like "Yellow," "In My Place," "Shiver" and the sweet "Fix You" with mildly more offbeat material from the new record – the multi-staged "42", the My Bloody Valentine-esque "Chinese Sleep Chant" – all of which the crowd already seemed to know by heart.

As befits a band of populists, Coldplay took the tunes right to the people, performing "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" and "Chinese Sleep Chant" on an illuminated satellite stage and then traipsing up into the cheap seats to do a couple of songs on the stairwell, where drummer Will Champion proved himself a capable guitarist and singer whilst bellowing the countrified acoustic tune "Death Will Never Conquer."

None of it was quite as transcendent as Coldplay's constant, open-armed atmospherics would like you to believe, but there was nothing to complain about ever. You left feeling vaguely uplifted with a few more damnable Coldplay tunes in your head. Mission accomplished.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/470286

A hot night for Coldplay

To take a phrase from Coldplay's latest album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, they didn't get to heaven but they made it close last night at Toronto's Air Canada Centre.

The British quartet, perhaps the heirs to U2's "greatest rock band in the world" moniker, wowed the sold-out crowd during the first of a two-night stand at the venue as part of their current North American tour.

Whether it was the giant balls suspended from above that showed up-close images of the group, confetti or the fact that the quartet of singer Chris Martin, drummer Will Champion, guitarist Jonny Buckland or bassist Guy Berryman seemed to nail one song after another during the course of roughly 100 minutes, it was definitely a spectacle.

Led by singer Martin, dressed like he just came from '80s rocker Adam Ant's garage sale, Coldplay opened with the new album's opener, Life In Technicolor, before settling into the single Violet Hill, with its slow, plodding Beatles-esque feel.

Despite the fact that Martin hams it up a bit with dancing that looks more like he's channeling Charlie Chaplin, as was the case during Fix You, he was solid throughout the evening while making sure the crowd did their part, particularly during In My Place, when the crowd drowned out Martin.

Another asset to the show was how well the band used the venue to make everyone feel part of the event. Although the small sidestage set was nice, the real coup was seeing Coldplay run along the sideboards and boot it up the steps for a two-song set at the base of a section exit. There the group did an acoustic version of The Scientist as well as Death Will Never Conquer, a simple ditty Champion took lead vocals on.

The quality of the new album also resulted in a very well-paced show, with probably only Yes coming off less than great as Martin did his best Nick Cave impersonation. This was in sharp contrast to how beautifully Lovers In Japan, with its intricate melody, fared during the homestretch.

Elsewhere, Martin was content to spend a fair portion of the evening at his upright piano centre stage and pound the hell out of the keys. A perfect example of this was during Speed Of Sound, but he definitely shone during the foot-stomping Politik with Champion also leading the charge.

Yet Martin again hammed it up after asking "Sparky" to introduce them to the Toronto crowd. Coming off a bit like Monty Python's Michael Palin, Martin mentioned how they started back in 1971 and were now happy to be playing "18 sold-out nights at Air Canada Centre."

It was quite forgivable once Buckland's opening notes to Yellow came to the fore. Unfortunately he kept to the regular version of the song, not squeezing every ounce of energy that riff has to offer for a far lengthier affair.

Perhaps the biggest compliment to be paid was that despite the number of hits from albums like X&Y and A Rush Of Blood to the Head, Coldplay managed to include all of the hits while working in a boatload of the new album. Those willing to nitpick might argue Parachutes was only represented by the smash hit Yellow and Don't Panic, but it's tough to argue against what was played.

With the house lights up as if the show was over, Coldplay returned for a quick two-song encore starting with Don't Panic before calling it a night.

Martin spent a fair bit of the show asking if everything was okay. Judging by the standing, the singing and the applause, I would say okay is an understatement.

http://torontosun.com/Entertainment/Music/2008/07/31/6315796-sun.html

Coldplay rocks but doesn't conquer

Coldplay, at Air Canada Centre in Toronto on Wednesday

Long live the kings. And you too, Coldplay. The world's biggest band hit Toronto's Air Canada Centre for the first of two sold-out concerts on Wednesday, leaving the impression that while its members are a nice young foursome of Englishmen capable of writing gorgeous anthems and performing them wonderfully, they just aren't the conquering types.

Appearing as if they hadn't cleaned the dust from Sunday's Pemberton Festival in B.C. off their raggedy military garb, the CD-selling giants starting grandly, entering with the swelling instrumental Life in Technicolor that ushered them to an audience that greeted its heroes with something like a soccer-stadium chant.

Ninety minutes later, after a sweeping, grandiose show of it, the band left with a brief encore of an unexpected older hit – "We haven't rehearsed this,” singer Chris Martin said of 2000's Don't Panic – and a happy new jig apparently called The Dubliner.

It's doubtful anyone among the adoring throng left the arena unsatisfied. But while the whirlwind of a performance was seemingly absolute and quite flawless, things never felt as profound as it was all made out to be. Somehow this band managed to dominate, but without a sense of utter triumph.

What was missing is hard to say – perhaps Coldplay hasn't the swagger. Sticking more or less to the same set-list of songs rendered Tuesday at Monday's Bell Centre, the players hit the euphoric past hits – Clocks set back time and tingled spines with its mesmerizing piano riff, resolute rhythm and soaring vocals – while managing to cover nearly all of the new, ditheringly-titled Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, an album that debuted at No. 1 in 36 countries, including Canada, upon its release earlier this summer.

The band's fourth album marked a change in musical direction for Coldplay, previously known for earnest, heart-swelling pop songs. After giving a fanciful account of the band's history, Martin introduced Yellow, the breakthrough, contagious single from the 2000 debut Parachutes, as a small song with three chords and a lot of passion: ”It took us around the world and back again,” he said, true enough.

The new material is less small, and slightly less passionate (not in a bad way). As live video images were screened on a giant hanging orb, Martin sang about kingdoms lost on the cinematic Viva La Vida title track. On Yes, strumming an acoustic guitar that fit into the crook of his right elbow, the husband of Gwyneth Paltrow sang in head-cold lower register we don't often hear from him, while tasteful lead guitarist Jonny Buckland made sitar-like noises. On the piano for the three-part 42, Martin borrowed from John Lennon's Imagine as retro black-and-white live images played on the giant backdrop screen. The show had opened with the new album's French Revolution-era cover art image, a pretentious nod to the group's somewhat rebellious musical direction.

Coldplay, which, not unreasonably, takes itself seriously, was not above a bit of larkiness, running through the crowd before making its way up the steps for a cheaper-seat sing-along of The Scientist, followed by the bouncy folk of Death Will Never Conquer, sung by drummer Will Champion, with mouth-harp help from Martin. After an interlude, the merry indie-pop of Lovers in Japan was coloured by a blizzard of butterfly-shaped confetti.

Earlier, on first Viva La Vida's single Violet Hill, the 70s-style arena rocker that was downloaded free by 600,000 people on the first day it was available from the band's website, Martin sang ”If you love me, won't you let me know?”

Coldplay's fans, on their feet all evening, did just that. This band is adored, no doubt. But Coldplay, who have one more scheduled Canadian date after Thursday's second ACC show (in Ottawa on Oct. 20) do not rule; Martin is too precious and too deferential to the royal U2s and Radioheads for that.

Any crown, then, is worn suspiciously on Coldplay's head.

Set list

Life in Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Yes

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

Chinese Sleep Chant

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

Speed of Sound

Yellow

Lost!

The Scientist

Death Will Never Conquer

(interlude)

Talk (remix)

Politik

Lovers in Japan

Death and All His Friends

The Escapist

Don't Panic (encore)

The Dubliners (encore)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080731.wcoldplay0731/BNStory/Entertainment/home

here's my video of Don't Panic (includes the final tune that I couldn't recognize either)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnodlrdZr8A

putting up Lovers in Japan next...

would be nice to get some other people's videos and put together a multi-angle video :)

Don't Panic :stunned:

Wow nice tweak to the setlist. Thanks for sharing your vid! :D

n657154723_708828_4239.jpg

btw - I couldn't believe how many people actually got up and left BEFORE the encore... haven't they ever been to a concert before???

I know!!! I couldn't believe it! I thought, where the hell are you people going?! I wonder if they came running back in when they heard the guys come back on...:laugh3:

what! which paper started that 'shiver' playing rumour! obviously not true haha as if it were I would still be convulsing on the ground in pure joy.

amaazing show! the confetti was so cool, the pictures I have standing right under it are neat because you can perfectly distinguish the butterflies. The only problem was that the security on the floor is SO tight they won't let you take ANY videos (so any ones I have are short and super stealth).

For some reason at other shows Clocks is (while obviously awesome) never really a highpoint but last night it just seemed so perfect!

Ahhhhh ! i cannot get over how incredible that was ! my first coldplay concert ! and your pictures are AMAZING. . . i had rearview seating, so i didnt get to c any of the imaging on the backdrops

and in all honesty tho, the seats were not bad at all, i think coldplay just has this way of makign everybody feel incredible, no matter where u sit !

AHH i wish i could get my hands on tickets for today's now, i expect it 2 be almost better because its Will's bday, plus they dont have a gig for another couple of days !

But i cant get over how incredible that experience was ! i wish i took a camera, i'd put pics up, but i didnt so i have to live off of your pics :)

Is anybody going to MOD?

Hey guys! Awesome pictures everyone. I got to meet Jonny and get a picture with him and go to the after party with the whole band. It was insane and probably not even legal considering I'm 15 but no one cared lmfao. Anyways I'll share my review later when I get home from work. They were stunning live and I got to sit beside Chloe which was soo exciting because I got to explain my favourite songs and things like that. She's an absolute sweetheart. I also got to see the baby too! She looks just like Jonny. :]

Oh my god. It sounded amazing. I am so excited for tomorrow, now.

Just a question, how was security? I really want to bring in a camera tomorrow. Did you guys hide your camera or something, or did you just walk in with it?

The camera issue is no problem at all. Last night was my 3rd time seeing them at ACC, and security just checks your bag and that's it. My camera was in plain sight and he just asked me to throw out my water bottle! Weird - you're not allowed to take in water bottles :confused: but cameras are okay!

And there were a ton of cameras in the audience!! So don't worry about it, and enjoy!!

Hey guys! Awesome pictures everyone. I got to meet Jonny and get a picture with him and go to the after party with the whole band. It was insane and probably not even legal considering I'm 15 but no one cared lmfao. Anyways I'll share my review later when I get home from work. They were stunning live and I got to sit beside Chloe which was soo exciting because I got to explain my favourite songs and things like that. She's an absolute sweetheart. I also got to see the baby too! She looks just like Jonny. :]

Wow, I'm so jealous - the AFTERPARTY??!! Did I hear correctly that it was at The Lobby? Was it private? :cool:

You got to go to the afterparty?! :o

Please explain where these soundcheck parties are and how to get in.

Was it at the venue or elsewhere? Did you have a backstage pass or something? How did you pull that off? Did you get molested?