✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

30-Jul-08: Toronto - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 29/30 Oct]

Toronto Radar: Coldplay Ready to Soft-Rock the Air Canada Centre

By Richard Trapunski

Toronto is a busy place. With restaurants and bars opening and closing everyday, concerts being performed nonstop, and news developing faster than it can be reported, it's hard to stay afloat. You need a guide. Martiniboys is here to help. Keeping our ears to the ground and our eyes to the blogs, we've collected all the hot buzz that you need to stay informed about your fair city. Whether it be a new store opening or a shocking political scandal, you'll find it here. There's no need to thank us, we're just doing our jobs. Okay, you can thank us.

coldplay-content.gif

This is a begrudging FYI. While I'll conceal my own personal feelings towards the band (I think you can guess), I have to grit my teeth and admit that Coldplay are still one of the biggest bands in the world right now. Enough so, that when they come to town, it's always newsworthy. So I couldn't in good conscience ignore it. For those who don't know, Coldplay play a non-offensive brand of arena-ready (good for the Air Canada Centre crowd) bombastic rock anthems that have been compared to Jeff Buckley and Echo and the Bunnymen, but in reality are more comparable to Rod Stewart and Peter Gabriel. Oh, and U2. It's impossible to forget U2, what with Chris Martin's Bono Complex. Yes, that's a thing. So get out your lighters (or these days cell phones) and get ready to soft rock!

http://www.martiniboys.com/Toronto/articles/Toronto-Radar:-Coldplay-Ready-to-Soft_d_Rock-the-Air-Canada-Centre-10747.html

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urban Planner: July 30, 2008

MUSIC: Coldplay's in town. If you're looking for tickets, look no further than the friendly scalpers who will undoubtedly swarm the ACC around 6 p.m. tonight. Make sure you've made a hefty cash withdrawal beforehand, though—even on Craigslist, it's hard to find a nosebleed ticket selling for less than $100. I guess some people still really like "Clocks." Air Canada Centre (40 Bay Street), 7:30 p.m., $49.50–$97.50.

http://torontoist.com/2008/07/urban_planner_july_30_2008.php

So I just got back from the ACC right now.. this hotel is amazing.

Royal Plaza or something, but its just down the street.

I looked into the ACC and I could see the magic balls and the backgrounds..

I'm sooooo jealous of everyone who won the soundcheck party.

As we were walking towards the hotel I saw the signs for the soundcheck and went to check it out, I thought that guy would've been nice enough to give me a pass considering I'm young and obviously had an interest in Coldplay.. but no.

3 more hours until the doors open!!!!

Coldplay 'hitting our stride'

b53e3695446f908fac5376ff3796.jpeg

Drummer Will Champion, left, says Coldplay refrains from adding musicians on tour to replicate its studio sound.

Drummer says ACC shows tonight and tomorrow feature intimate atmosphere, `fantastic' supporting act

Leading up to their two Toronto dates at the Air Canada Centre, tonight and tomorrow, Coldplay fans should be delighted to know the band is gaining momentum on its current tour, at least according to Will Champion, the band's drummer.

The man should know. He's probably got the best seat in the house and has watched the show come together over the first few weeks of the latest world tour.

"It always takes a while to get up and running. ... It's not until you actually play in front of an audience that you realize what works and what doesn't. We're kind of really hitting our stride around now, which is great," he said on the line from last week's tour stop in Philadelphia.

"The stage show is something we've been working out the past few months. It's just really, again, you don't know what looks good until you have a full audience in order for you to see how the dynamic works with the visuals and the sound. It's gotten a lot better than what it was right before the tour started."

The band's latest album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, was created with renowned producers Brian Eno and Markus Dravs, and like the self-categorized "heavy soft rock" that the band has perfected over the course of its decade together, it's a very lush, big sounding record, with some new instrumentation and the noticeably lower vocal register of lead singer Chris Martin.

Unlike many other bands – for example, U2 – Champion says the group refrains from adding musicians on tour to replicate its studio sound. "No, it's just the four of us. We're always really adamant that we want just the four of us onstage; it's a very strong image and we'd like to keep it that way.

"We have little tricks and ways and means of doing some things when a song needs a bit of push or filling out, and we can do that.

"It all comes from our desire to have a very homemade feel to the record, so the visual side of it, the uniforms that we wear, we didn't want it to be an overly produced or techno-feeling stage show. We wanted it to feel a lot more intimate ... so it doesn't become dwarfed by these big arenas that we're playing. It's always a constant challenge, and we're always trying to break the line between us and the audience and make them feel like they're really part of the show."

To that end, in Chicago last week, Champion and Martin actually came out for an unscheduled second encore; it was so unexpected, group members Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman were already in a cab on the way back to their hotel.

"It was a fantastic audience, they were still making so much noise we couldn't leave," Champion said.

In addition to the main event, Champion also urges fans to show up for the opening act – in this case, the very hotly tipped Santogold – as the band does take an active role in choosing supporting acts and likes to use its star power to reflect on smaller bands.

"We're very keen, and make sure that the support acts are young, fresh and original. If we can in any way provide a platform for these fantastic artists that we love – the (Santogold) record is fantastic – if anyone picks up on that, it's a great thing.

"Regardless of the ailing music industry, live music is still so important, it's the one thing that can't be copied, it can't be pirated, it's so unique and it's so important to us to have the whole show be the strongest thing. We want to give people memorable evenings, so it's crucially important that we get great support bands, and Santogold is just fantastic."

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/469435

Air Canada Centre

40 Bay St.

416-872-5000

Robbed! Surely that was the cry of many Canadian Coldplay fans when the band cut several previously announced dates from its North American tour. Instead of a two-night stand in October, Coldplay’s local constituency will have to make do with this single-night appearance in July. Chances are the Brits will make up for this grave affront if newly released album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008) shapes up to be the global smash that all quarters are expecting.

The new music largely makes good on singer Chris Martin’s claim that “this album was fuelled by a desire to move from black and white into colour.” With the help of producer Brian Eno, the band has been able to tweak its formula and push into new terrain without sacrificing the swoony, atmospheric quality of its most memorable hits. Demand for Coldplay will likely be as high as ever, which, of course, is great news for scalpers.—

When: Jul. 30/08

Doors 7:30 p.m.

How Much: $49.50–$97.50 in advance from Ticketmaster.

http://torontolife.com/guide/arts-and-entertainment/pop/coldplay-july-2008/

WOW! So that was so amazing..

Here's the setlist:

1. Life In Technicolor

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In my Place

5. Viva La vida

6. Yes!!!!!!! (OMG OMG OMG)

7. 42

8. Fix You (you should've seen Chris' face as the crowd was singing)

9. Strawberry Swing

10. Chinese Sleep Chant

11. God Put A Smile On Your Face

12. Speed of Sound

13. Yellow

14. Lost!

15. The Scientist

16. Death Will Never Conquer

17. Talk Remix Thing

18. Politik

19. Lovers In Japan

20. Death And All His Friends/ The Escapist

21. Don't Panic (I pretty much freaked when they played this)

22. I'm not really sure what this was, it didn't sound ilke the Dubliners but I haven't heard a good quality version of it so I don't know.