✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

7-Dec-08 - Liverpool, Echo Arena - Meetups, Review/Photos (originally 10-Dec)

Michie's Mega Review Pt. 1

So at about 4.30 I text Mari and ask her if she wants to meet up. She's been wandering around the Albert Dock all afternoon and has seen everything there is to see. It is also extremely cold.

So me, my friend Mike and her meet up and decide to go to for pizza. Mari is soooo lovely and very funny :D Anyway we wait for a good 45 minutes to be seated, seems everyone else has had the same idea of getting something to eat before the show. So after ordering off some bullshit "theatre" menu and then after being overcharged, we head towards the arena next door.

The security was really lax, we were just walking through doors looking for our seats, no-one was stopping us or checking our tickets....something we used to our advantage later on...more on that later :D

So eventually someone decides to show us to our seats, to my great surprise and delight row K is only 6 rows back :D The perfect view. Dead centre. Mari was about another 6 rows behind us.

Eugene Francis Jr was already playing as we arrived, he was pretty good, talked to the crowd a lot, said the bassists family were here (they were sitting in front of us and were later joined by the band) and gave out free CD's and t shirts to the crowd. :D

After they went off Jon Hopkins came on, who wasn't that terrible, he was nice background music. Unfortunately everyone was leaving there seats as he started to play.

As our section started to fill up, we noticed quite a few older, well dressed, type people. In fact we were surrounded by them! I (as it quickly become apparent) WRONGLY assumed that the crowd would be quiet and not up for the screaming, dancing and singing I had in mind. Ha. Shows what I know.

So after Jon finished I had a look for Mari. All the security had left the section so we hatched a plan. :sneaky: I gave her my ticket and took her coat and went and sat back down with Mike. Whilst she wandered around the arena until Coldplay started. She would then use my ticket to get into our section after the show had started and we all stood up. We knew it would work because, as I said, the security were really lax.

So I sat back down and waited for Jay-Z to start, and waited, and waited, and waited. The roadies had finished setting up, the lighting dudes were on their seats high above the arena, the curtain was down. And nothing. I later found out that Mari had asked someone when the show was starting (as she was running out of places to go in the arena) and they looked at their watch and said "about ten minutes ago" :lol:

There was a commotion at the side of the arena and people were screaming and taking photos, I thought at first it may have been Gwyneth, but couldn't see. Apparently it was Xabi Alonso and Robbie Fowler :D

FINALLY at about ten past 9, Jay Z started, people were dancing and cheering the dancing roadies. And I knew then...I was in for a good night

More to follow :D

Me and Mari in the arena :D

DSC00651.jpg

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw lovely photo Mich and a great review so far! The dancing roadies were awesome. There were four guys at the front dressed in Coldplay/French Revolutionary outfits - the guy that was Jonny even had a Jonny-style cap on lol.

Michie's Mega Review Pt. 1

So at about 4.30 I text Mari and ask her if she wants to meet up. She's been wandering around the Albert Dock all afternoon and has seen everything there is to see. It is also extremely cold.

So me, my friend Mike and her meet up and decide to go to for pizza. Mari is soooo lovely and very funny :D Anyway we wait for a good 45 minutes to be seated, seems everyone else has had the same idea of getting something to eat before the show. So after ordering off some bullshit "theatre" menu and then after being overcharged, we head towards the arena next door.

The security was really lax, we were just walking through doors looking for our seats, no-one was stopping us or checking our tickets....something we used to our advantage later on...more on that later :D

So eventually someone decides to show us to our seats, to my great surprise and delight row K is only 6 rows back :D The perfect view. Dead centre. Mari was about another 6 rows behind us.

Eugene Francis Jr was already playing as we arrived, he was pretty good, talked to the crowd a lot, said the bassists family were here (they were sitting in front of us and were later joined by the band) and gave out free CD's and t shirts to the crowd. :D

After they went off Jon Hopkins came on, who wasn't that terrible, he was nice background music. Unfortunately everyone was leaving there seats as he started to play.

As our section started to fill up, we noticed quite a few older, well dressed, type people. In fact we were surrounded by them! I (as it quickly become apparent) WRONGLY assumed that the crowd would be quiet and not up for the screaming, dancing and singing I had in mind. Ha. Shows what I know.

So after Jon finished I had a look for Mari. All the security had left the section so we hatched a plan. :sneaky: I gave her my ticket and took her coat and went and sat back down with Mike. Whilst she wandered around the arena until Coldplay started. She would then use my ticket to get into our section after the show had started and we all stood up. We knew it would work because, as I said, the security were really lax.

So I sat back down and waited for Jay-Z to start, and waited, and waited, and waited. The roadies had finished setting up, the lighting dudes were on their seats high above the arena, the curtain was down. And nothing. I later found out that Mari had asked someone when the show was starting (as she was running out of places to go in the arena) and they looked at their watch and said "about ten minutes ago" :lol:

There was a commotion at the side of the arena and people were screaming and taking photos, I thought at first it may have been Gwyneth, but couldn't see. Apparently it was Xabi Alonso and Robbie Fowler :D

FINALLY at about ten past 9, Jay Z started, people were dancing and cheering the dancing roadies. And I knew then...I was in for a good night

More to follow :D

Me and Mari in the arena :D

DSC00651.jpg

Awwww..lovely....waiting for part 2:bomb:

Ha I thought it might have been when you mentioned the flag lol. Was that the one you threw to Will? I saw him wave/smile to you at the end, very cool! Post some pics of you in your outfits!

Haha, Yes that was our flag :D, My friend Gbilbo is gonna post the pics tommorow along with a vid of Fix You AND I caught a Plec ;o

Oh my god, that was fucking amazing.

What a gig. Utterly fantastic.

I've seen The Killers, Radiohead, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys all live before but this was by far the best concert I've ever been to. Just incredible :D

What a night

Question:

Where can i get one of those black t shirts with Viva La Vida written across it in big writing because i wanted to buy one inside the arena but they had none left.

Michie's Mega Review Pt. 2

So Blue Danube comes on and everyone is clapping along and cheering (with no roadie promptingl) and FINALLY The Escapist starts to play...

Everyone stands up and cheers! Weeeee. I'm jumping up and down and screaming and hardly notice Mari pop up beside me. Mwahaha. Brilliant plan, executed to perfection. No-one around us minded. :D

So LIT starts and we can see four glowing lights as the boys come on, a closer look revealed they were sparklers :lol: How random. They all had one each. Jonny's went out and Chris used his own to light it again :nice: Me and Mari were going wild, jumping and screaming, so excited after waiting for so long. :D

Next Violet Hill, the crowd started singing along from the get go, the boys were jovial to begin with but you could see they were loving it already. Chris ended the song with "If you're from Liverpool won't you let me know" Weeeee.

Clocks was epic as usual, the stage is soooo dark during it though, you can barely see anything. The multicoloured lazers are extremely cool though :D Chris played it very well, not hitting the wrong key every few seconds like he usually does :P His voice was in fine form too :D He did some leaning back off his stool action at the end too :D

IMP was next I immediately rang Kara and held my phone up until the second chorus, don't know if you can tell from the audio she posted but the crowd were sooo loud! As Jonny's big riff started Chris said how great we were and how that song was recorded in Liverpool :D I hung up before the ramp of love action, for obvious reasons, but my filming was blocked by stupid tall people with long arms. I got what I could but couldn't see much. :( Chris did fling his arm around Jonny as they walked back up the ramp though. Much to our delight :D

Speed of Sound was next, again another big crowd sing along :stunned: They were singing everything it was unbelievable. :dance:

More to come...

Does anyone know where i can get one of those t shirts with viva la vida written across the front in black? They only have them in brown and blue on the coldplay site. They had none left when i went to buy one in the arena before.

Anyone?

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks alot :)

What a gig. Utterly fantastic.

I've seen The Killers, Radiohead, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys all live before but this was by far the best concert I've ever been to. Just incredible :D

What a night

Question:

Where can i get one of those black t shirts with Viva La Vida written across it in big writing because i wanted to buy one inside the arena but they had none left.

http://www.coldplay.com/store.php < Hit that link, Choose your region and it should be on there under "T-Shirts". :D

Michie's Mega Review Pt. 3

So by this early point the atmosphere was already incredible I can't even begin to explain it, I've never been to a gig where the audience are just so into it so early! Obviously this didn't go unnoticed by Chris who, after he had the house lights brought up, told us how incredible we were. He said again how so many songs were recorded in Liverpool and how they finally had somewhere to play them. He then decided to take advantage of our loud cheers by having a cheering competition. :lol:

He told the right side to cheer when Guy raised his hand, the left when Jonny did and the centre when Will did. :D The centre were loudest by far. Mwahaha. Go us! He did it over and over again though. "Guy, Jonny, Will, Guy, Jonny, Will, Guy, Jonny, Will..." :lol: They boys were having a great time as we all competed with one another, I have it all on film :D

So then Yellow started and what should appear above our heads? THE YELLOW BALLOONS! They're back and as big as ever! There were soooo many of them. They kept landing by poor Jonny who had about 7 at his feet :lol: I took some film, but is very shaky due to them landing on our heads every 2 seconds. Was great though. And we all still managed to sing along. And then at the end, he got us to sing the last few lines, not once, not twice, not three times but FOUR times :lol: Asking us to get louder with every go. Which we did. He had a massive smile on his face, it was just incredible! :stunned:

CSC next, Jonny (who I forgot to mention JB fans, has a new hat :P) was rocking out big style, jumping around, throwing his body around the stage. :D

Next they started playing a riff I didn't recognise, in my haste I got excited and text Jen saying it was a new song :shame: It wasn't. It was Lips Like Sugar :D They didn't sing though. Just played it through.

42, we all sang the beginning, and Chris did his usual silly dance as the guitar kicked in. Jonny was giving it some welly tonight :D At the end Chris milked us for loud singing AGAIN by getting us to song the last few lines and then the "ooooh" once we did that he celebrated by holding a very loud and very, very long note. :D

More to come...

Sorry these are bad, I have better pics and video I can't access at the mo :( Just so you can see the balloons :D

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00718.jpg?t=1228699734

!!!Did you say yellow balls??

Yayyyy!!!!:dance::dance::dance:The yellow balls are back? !!!

I love yellow balls!:D

I love magic balls!:D

I love magical yellow balls!!:D

All balls!:D

And I loooove balls on film!!:lol:

:sneaky::wink3:

Awwwwwwww, it sounded so great! The cheering competition!!!

Jonny's went out and Chris used his own to light it again :nice:

AWWWWWWWWWWWW :nice:

I agree (albeit maybe not RH) with this so much!! Coldplay give you so much at their shows... quite literally 'nothing else compares".

I saw Kings of Leon on Monday, then Coldplay on Tuesday. KOL came nowhere NEAR close to Coldplay :dozey:

:dance:

Michie's Mega Review Pt. 4

Next was Fix You, I don't think I need to tell you how loud we were. We sang the whole thing, start to finish, it was the loudest I'd ever heard a crowd sing...up until that point of course :sneaky: Guy clapped us at the end. Weeeee.

Strawberry Swing next, which I just love, we all clapped along with Guy :nice: Lots of lovely little Chris and Jonny moments too, girlies, at one point Chris was looking over to Jonny and singing the lines "Now the sky could be blue, I don't mind, without you it's a waste of time" :nice:

So they head on over to the B stage and because of the lax security and the weird layout of the arena we all got to move over and we were INCHES from them :bomb: So so close! No one cared that we'd rushed the stage. Was awesome! I have some excellent ass shaking footage that I'll get up as soon as I can :D They played GPASUYF and Talk but I honestly don't remember much due to being in a daze at how close we were :bomb: As they walked off me and Mari decided to be a little fangirlish and scream for Jonny :lol: It was loud and I'm sure he heard, but he didn't turn around. Booo :P

Next was The Hardest Part, we were so close, we could literally see the sweat pouring down Chris' face :stunned: His back hunched over the piano, playing it faultlessly, it was amazing. His voice was beautiful, best it has sounded in a while. I'm sure he slipped another Liverpool line in there too, but I can't be sure. It was followed by Postcards, again it was amazing to see him work so close up, completely focussed, you could actually see him pause over the keys, unsure if he had it right, hehe. He did :D

Next was VLV we all scrambled back to our seats (where I discovered some lovely person had spilt two bottles of beer in my bag! :angry:) whilst singing along with Will. :D [fangirl] As Chris stepped up to the keyboard I saw him mouth 'are you okay?' to Jonny, who smiled widely and nodded yes :nice: :D [/fangirl] The "woahs" were soooooooo loud, so so loud :dance: Me and Mari were jumping up and down our hands in the air and discovered that everyone else was going as crazy as we were! :dance: As the song ended Chris just dropped to the floor! :lol: He didn't get on his knees and bend back like usual, he just literally dropped like a limp doll to the floor! Hehe. We all carried on singing the "woahs" so loudly. We kept going on and on, I looked over towards the stage and Jonny and Guy were looking at each other visibly SHOCKED by how loud we were and long we were going. By the end I could barely breathe, I literally didn't have the energy to sing any more. It was incredible. In the end Chris had Will start Lost!:dance: I've never heard a crowd so loud before, I'm trying to convey just how epic this was. :bomb:

So Lost! starts, Chris is running around the stage, hassling poor Guy by doing crazy dances behind him! :lol: He did the thing with the drumstick too...as always :lol: We all sang the "oooooo ahhhh ooooohhh" bit at the end and he got us to sing the last line with him AGAIN! He's such a little sing along whore :P

More to come :D

Again sorry about shitty pics, we've got stuff on two different camera you see, can't get the stuff off mine as yet :( Better than nowt though :D

Ass pic :P Look how close we are :o :o :D

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

?

Is it just me?, Or does the Hardest Part not sound a tad bit better when he starts it off saying, "This is for our friend, Karen"....:D

:laugh3::smug::laugh3:

Sounds like such an amazing show, so glad the guys all seemed so into it!

Michie's Mega Review Pt. 4

Next was Fix You, I don't think I need to tell you how loud we were. We sang the whole thing, start to finish, it was the loudest I'd ever heard a crowd sing...up until that point of course :sneaky: Guy clapped us at the end. Weeeee.

Strawberry Swing next, which I just love, we all clapped along with Guy :nice: Lots of lovely little Chris and Jonny moments too, girlies, at one point Chris was looking over to Jonny and singing the lines "Now the sky could be blue, I don't mind, without you it's a waste of time" :nice:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

So they head on over to the B stage and because of the lax security and the weird layout of the arena we all got to move over and we were INCHES from them :bomb: So so close! No one cared that we'd rushed the stage. Was awesome! I have some excellent ass shaking footage that I'll get up as soon as I can :D They played GPASUYF and Talk but I honestly don't remember much due to being in a daze at how close we were :bomb: As they walked off me and Mari decided to be a little fangirlish and scream for Jonny :lol: It was loud and I'm sure he heard, but he didn't turn around. Booo :P

Jonny is way too cool these days:cool:

Next was The Hardest Part, we were so close, we could literally see the sweat pouring down Chris' face :stunned: His back hunched over the piano, playing it faultlessly, it was amazing. His voice was beautiful, best it has sounded in a while. I'm sure he slipped another Liverpool line in there too, but I can't be sure. It was followed by Postcards, again it was amazing to see him work so close up, completely focussed, you could actually see him pause over the keys, unsure if he had it right, hehe. He did :D

Next was VLV we all scrambled back to our seats (where I discovered some lovely person had spilt two bottles of beer in my bag! :angry:) whilst singing along with Will. :D [fangirl] As Chris stepped up to the keyboard I saw him mouth 'are you okay?' to Jonny, who smiled widely and nodded yes :nice: :D [/fangirl]

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

The "woahs" were soooooooo loud, so so loud :dance: Me and Mari were jumping up and down our hands in the air and discovered that everyone else was going as crazy as we were! :dance: As the song ended Chris just dropped to the floor! :lol: He didn't get on his knees and bend back like usual, he just literally dropped like a limp doll to the floor! Hehe. We all carried on singing the "woahs" so loudly. We kept going on and on, I looked over towards the stage and Jonny and Guy were looking at each other visibly SHOCKED by how loud we were and long we were going. By the end I could barely breathe, I literally didn't have the energy to sing any more. It was incredible. In the end Chris had Will start Lost!:dance: I've never heard a crowd so loud before, I'm trying to convey just how epic this was. :bomb:

So Lost! starts, Chris is running around the stage, hassling poor Guy by doing crazy dances behind him! :lol: He did the thing with the drumstick too...as always :lol: We all sang the "oooooo ahhhh ooooohhh" bit at the end and he got us to sing the last line with him AGAIN! He's such a little sing along whore :P

More to come :D

Again sorry about shitty pics, we've got stuff on two different camera you see, can't get the stuff off mine as yet :( Better than nowt though :D

Ass pic :P Look how close we are :o :o :D

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

GOOD GOD! You guys were so close!!!! :bomb: