✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

7-Dec-08 - Liverpool, Echo Arena - Meetups, Review/Photos (originally 10-Dec)

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait now :D

Also, as an added bonus, there are some touts on ebay who are losing money on tickets because they cannot sell them seen as tho they came back on sale on the echo arena's website.

I love it whe that happens to touts :D

Anyone else sitting in block E?

[Coldplay Oxfam Blog] Warm up room.

I’m sitting on a road case, which says C O L D P L A Y, in spray paint across the top. On my right, is a label which says ‘Coldplay. Viva. Viva La Vida 2008/2009. Location: Warm-up room. Truck: Backline. Contents: Piano.’ It’s the ‘Dressy Piano’ case, ready for the band to warm-up for another show on their world tour tonight. Today, we have made it to Liverpool’s Echo Arena. It sits proudly overlooking the Docks, and this famous city of music. It’s also European Capital of Culture this year. A week today, the hosts of the venue will be Sue Barker and Gary Lineker for the annual BBC Sports Personality awards ceremony. Tonight, the hosts will be Will, Jonny, Chris and Guy. Greeting people as they enter the venue, will be another 20 amazing Oxfam volunteers, full of energy and ideas for people, to get involved with Oxfam’s work around the world.

Reflecting on last night. It was a great 2008 debut in Scotland for the band. The long wait for those fans seemed to have paid off. It was a cracking atmosphere. I’m hoping for more of the same tonight. There is always the chance of another group of record breakers..

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=126

Mich & Marianna are sitting down to a pre-show Pizza Express right now :D

yes ladies & gentleman, we're expecting some live updates tonight (although as Mich has borrowed a fantastic camera there may not be too many).

Join us for the thread party :dance:

what flavour pizza is it?

no idea, didn't ask :)

I'm having a pre-gig lemsip 'cos I feel like shite.

Why did I have to get sick today?

awwwwwww nooooooooooo. if they're on form you should feel better by the end of the show though. I saw Snow Patrol when I had a nasty cold, and they'd cheered me up by the end.

Coldplay come home to Liverpool

echoarenaliverpool.jpg

Coldplay play the ECHO arena on Sunday

THEY may have met at university in London, but Coldplay will always count Liverpool as home.

They’re now one of the biggest bands in the world, but before they were famous, and while they were first riding the crest of a wave, they were based in Parr Street Studio. Under the watchful eye of Grammy award winning Scouse producer Ken Nelson they recorded their first two albums – Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head – plus singles Shiver, Yellow, Trouble, In My Place and The Scientist in the heart of the city.

And the band, who play the ECHO arena on Sunday, still hold it close to their hearts. They’re massive Echo And The Bunnymen fans and last week late one night, while I was working on a supplement to honour the Liverpool legends I got a text from Chris Martin. It read: “Echo and the Bunnymen are the musical equivalent to Marmite. You either love them or you’re a ****.”

I can’t say what his final word was, but I almost choked on my cup of tea: it was far too rude to go into a family newspaper. And not what I’d expect from the mild-mannered vegetarian quiet man of pop. But that’s the thing about Chris, and Coldplay in general. I’d expected them to take themselves awfully seriously. Big mistake, as I realise as they start to talk about new album Viva la Vida (or Death To All His Friends).

“The last album was like an enormous multipack of Weetabix – very tasty if you like Weetabix, but even the biggest fan of Weetabix tires of it after the 19th packet,” laughs Chris. “This album is a sort of Alpen muesli affair.”

Drummer Will Champion laughs: “With fruit and nuts ...”

“... No added sugar ...” says Chris, 31, in a nod to the media obsession with his squeaky clean image.

“That’s a good analogy,” says Will.

“I make a lot of analogies,” giggles Chris. “That’s one of my better ones.”

Viva la Vida became one of the fastest and biggest-selling records in chart history. After selling 125,000 copies in its first day, it shot straight to the top of the charts. The band describes the title track as its first protest song, and its line ‘I sweep the streets I used to own’ is based on Chris and guitarist Johnny Buckland’s time working as domestic cleaners.

“It harks back to when Johnny and I used to be cleaners in the building we used to live in,” explains Chris. “We didn’t used to own it though,” adds Jonny. And tellingly adds after a pause: “We do now.”

Chris continues: “But ‘sweep the streets I used to rent during term time’ doesn’t sound quite as catchy.”

In among the distinctive Coldplay sound, there are often hints of the bands influences – never more than in the intro of Yellow, which shouts Echo And The Bunnymen’s Nothing Lasts Forever. But far from shying away from that, it’s something they celebrate. “We are one of the world’s worst but most enthusiastic plagiarists,” laughs Chris. “As a band we will try and copy anything. It tends to fail and we come up with something that sounds like us. But it’s only by trying to sound like somebody else.”

Bassist Guy Berryman adds: “The more you do, the bigger your back catalogue, the bigger the danger of plagiarising yourself is. We really wanted to avoid doing that.”

Chris agrees: “The key rule was we could steal from anybody except ourselves.”

On Sunday they’ll be playing their first gig in Liverpool in three years. They’ve previously performed at the Royal Court and Mountford Hall, and now they’ve sold out the ECHO arena. But they’re remaining tight-lipped about what they’ll play. “I think that the way the live show will go is that the more material we have to choose from the harder it is to be ruthless and to keep our quality control high,” says Guy.

Will adds: “It's very easy to just go 'Oh we'll just slip in the big song from the first one, the big song from the second one’. It makes it harder. It's a great decision when you can work out what songs you don't have to play. It makes you feel good about the songs you do have. I'm looking forward to choosing the songs we don't have to play.”

Chris almost falls off his chair laughing. "That is such a Will answer,” he grins. “He'll put together a ‘not’ set list that he doesn't want to play and we'll be left with about four songs.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/views/liverpool-columnists/echo-columnists/2008/12/05/come-home-100252-22408814/