✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Official Club Football 2014-2015 thread

Thaksin offers to resign from Man City board, says Cook

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-7746337,00.html

Thaksin offers to resign from Man City board, says Cook

LONDON, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Manchester City's "embarrassed" owner Thaksin Shinawatra is prepared to step down from the English Premier League club's board, its executive chairman was quoted as saying in British newspapers on Saturday.

"The man is embarrassed about the indignity brought on the club and the Premier League," Garry Cook told reporters at the City of Manchester stadium during a press briefing this week at which the former Thai prime minister's future was discussed.

"He (Thaksin) said to me, 'If you need me to resign from the football club as a director, because it would serve the needs of the Premier League, then I'm fine with that as long as that doesn't change any other thing (his ownership)'," Cook said.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Cook met Premier League chairman Dave Richards on Tuesday to establish whether Thaksin had fallen foul of the league's "fit and proper person" test.

Under Premier League rules, club directors can be dismissed if they are found guilty of corruption by a "competent court" anywhere in the world.

Thaksin, 59, skipped bail and went into exile in London this month, accusing potential enemies who removed him in a 2006 coup of meddling in the courts to "finish off" him and his family.

ARREST WARRANTS

The Supreme Court issued arrest warrants for Thaksin and his wife Potjaman, and seized 13 million Thai baht ($382,800) in bail bonds after he failed to appear in a corruption case.

Since the coup, about $2 billion of Thaksin's assets have been frozen but he still ranks as Thailand's 16th richest person, worth $400 million, in a 2008 Forbes magazine rich list.

Thaksin's flight to London is almost certain to lead to a guilty verdict being handed down in absentia, potentially jeopardising his ownership of Manchester City.

"It is very loose," Cook was quoted as saying about the Premier League's "fit and proper person test".

"It's almost a tongue-in-cheek term that you would use for Premier League football over the last 10 years. There are plenty of unfit and improper individuals."

"He (Thaksin) has not skipped bail. He's not gone back to face the charges," Cook added.

"He wants to be at this ground (Eastlands) on Sunday but people may want to come and show their support from his country and he doesn't want to use this as a political platform. And there has been a threat to his safety worldwide."

City, who host West Ham United in a league match on Sunday, was bought by Thaksin for 81 million pounds ($151.3 million) last year while he was living in exile.

Thailand has started the lengthy process of asking Britain to extradite Thaksin to face trial, although history suggests it will be years before it can get their hands on him, if at all.

One of his Thai lawyer's said on Wednesday that Thaksin planned to seek political asylum in Britain. (Writing by Ken Ferris; Editing by John O'Brien)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• busybeeburns

• Reilly

• bart

• Black Rose

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile in the non-league action:

Torquay 0-1 Salisbury

Salibury moved to the top of the table after Charlie Griffin came off the bench to grab a late winner at Torquay.

The home side dominated the game with Tim Sills twice going close in the opening five minutes before Chris Robertson blazed over the crossbar.

Torquay continued their dominance after the break with Roscoe DSane forcing a good save from James Bittner while Lee Mansell was denied twice late on.

But Salisbury clung on and snatched the win with striker Griffin's late strike.

Football league here we come (hopefully) :cool:

Only one source for this story so far, but a few mutterings elsewhere too, the rumour goes that Man U don't have permission to speak to Berbatov. Will this be the final evidence of the ultimate tap-up, or simply one Spurs blogger's attempt to wind up United fans?

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com/2008/09/manchester-united-may-be-in-big-trouble.html

Manchester United may be in big trouble

The BBC have spoken to Tottenham Hotspur about news that Dimitar Berbatov is currently in talks with Manchester United.

"We have not allowed Manchester United to talk to any of our players. The only club in Manchester that can talk with Mr. Berbatov are Manchester City, who have matched the valuation we have given the player's registration" stated a Tottenham spokesman.

Reports are rife that Berbatov is currently at Manchester United's Carrington training ground, finalising terms.

If this is the case, Sir Alex's nose may get a little redder.

Interesting stuff, but I do wish the Incredible Sulk would get on his bike pronto so we can get in a few more quality signings before the midnight hour - I'm hoping for Veloso at least. And anything around the 30 million mark would be a result!

He's now completed and passed a medical at Man Utd

Shocking stuff.

All was in place to show the Premier League that the Mancs had us over a(n illegal) barrel, right when we had them over a barrel ourselves. We should have held our nerve. We looked like taking the high ground, and quite rightly, but Levy bottled it and showed himself up for what he is - just a penny-pinching grub. All that just to eek out the extra five million? Sorry, but it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth, and I feel sorry for Liverpool now after their apology to the world for 'tapping up' Robbie, they probably didn't deserve that shafting from Levy. :(

over here in Spain the is a calm before the storm. They are waiting for the newspapers to be printed in the morning. They are going off the scale about CITY.

I have had nice day, I have had Barca fans come up to me and say welcome to the clubs of eliteitos :smug:

Are you just now realizing that Levy is a prize cock?

Sir Alex the Dick Cheney of the Premier League, he'll shoot you in the face and then make you apologize for getting in the way of the gun. :dozey:

No, us Spurs fans knew since the 'sorry boss' incident that Levy (and Berbatov) were the very lowest of the low, but it's always good to hope for the best in people, that they've learned their lesson/turned a corner, isn't it?!

Ah well.

Right, bring on the season proper! We have a great manager, and the best squad since 1988, I'd argue. A good cup run or my username's not slartibartfast :D