• busybeeburns

• Reilly

• bart

• Black Rose

Top Posters In This Topic

woah woah woah, I'm from sunderland!

they're not chaff! :P

get rid of man united! send them to some salford based sunday league! :wink:

Hey, make up your mind - last night you were reminding everyone you just lived there, that you're actually from London!!!

(Oh, and I'd get rid of Newcastle first:laugh3:)

Outrage as Joey Barton leaves prison and walks back into his £40,000-a-week day job

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 12:54 PM on 28th July 2008

article-0-0218474700000578-221_233x396.jpg Released: Premiership footballer Joey Barton, leaves Strangeways Prison in Manchester

Premiership footballer Joey Barton was released from jail today and back to his highly paid job at Newcastle United.

Barton, 25, left Strangeways prison in Manchester at 11am after serving 74 days of a six-month sentence for beating up a teenager in Liverpool city centre last December.

He was jailed on May 20 after pleading guilty at Liverpool Crown Court to assault and affray.

Today, the £40,000-a-week Newcastle United midfielder enjoyed his first taste of freedom after weeks in the cells.

Barton, wearing jeans and a jumper and carrying a holdall, shook hands with a friend waiting for him outside the prison gates.

He made no comment to reporters.

With the help of two minders, he got into a waiting silver Land Rover and was driven off.

Barton had hoped to be freed earlier this month with an electronic tag forcing him to keep a curfew.

But he was deemed not to fit the right criteria for early release as he had committed his last offence while on bail.

The player, from Huyton, Merseyside, served 68 days of the six-month jail term plus six days on remand after his initial arrest.

However, he is currently serving a four-month jail sentence, suspended for two years, after a separate conviction for a 'ferocious' training ground attack on former Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo. The attack left his victim unconscious and bleeding.

article-1039223-02185B8700000578-524_468x534.jpg Uncertain future: Joey Barton has been released from prison

Barton was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid community work and pay £3,000 compensation to Dabo and court costs of £3,430.

While on bail over the Dabo incident, he got involved in the fight outside a McDonald's restaurant in Liverpool city centre last December.

The court heard the player had been on a night out with friends and family in Liverpool.

After drinking 10 pints and five bottles of lager, they went into the McDonald's for food at about 5am on December 27.

But they became involved in a row with some youths and, outside the restaurant, the confrontation turned violent with Barton caught on CCTV knocking his victim to the ground.

article-1039223-01CD7F1C00000578-188_468x603.jpg Horrific: Manchester City player Ousmane Dabo was brutally beaten by then teammate Barton

He then straddled the man and punched him up to 20 times.Moments later, Barton attacked 16-year-old Jordan Spencer, in the mistaken belief the youth had assaulted his cousin.

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has publicly vowed to stand by Barton at the club. and the Professional Footballers' Association is hoping Barton will be able to put off-field problems behind him.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor believes Keegan could be the ideal character for Barton to be working with.

'Hopefully Kevin thinks he can work his oracle with Joey and get his life back on track, both as a human being and as a footballer,' Taylor told BBC Five Live.

'At the same time you've got to be responsible for your own actions. We've tried to help Joey with the Sporting Chance clinic and to be there to help him when he's needed it.

'But you need to see something in return. It's not been good, it wasn't a good year, but the lad does have ability and you keep hoping he can put it behind him and move on.

'Whether that will happen, I don't know.'

Sporting Chance chief executive Peter Kay has worked closely with Barton.

Taylor believes the clinic established by former England and Arsenal defender Tony Adams can continue to play a crucial role in the Newcastle player's recovery. He said: 'If they can't do it, I'm not sure who can.'

Barton is expected to meet up with the rest of the Newcastle squad before the

season starts next month.

Liverpool complete Keane transfer

Keane's move to Liverpool concludes a long transfer wrangle with Spurs

Liverpool have completed the signing of striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham for a fee that could rise to £20.3m.

Keane, 28, underwent a medical on Monday after agreeing personal terms on a four-year contract worth around £80,000 a week over the weekend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7528735.stm

Liverpool complete Keane transfer

Keane's move to Liverpool concludes a long transfer wrangle with Spurs

Liverpool have completed the signing of striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham for a fee that could rise to £20.3m.

Keane, 28, underwent a medical on Monday after agreeing personal terms on a four-year contract worth around £80,000 a week over the weekend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7528735.stm

That's the final nail in the coffin for Spurs, then!!:laugh3:

Today sees the release of the Premier League's official 'I Know The Score' (IKTS) score prediction game. If you wish to join use the link and code below and log in with your current fantasy league account. Only 50 players are allowed in this one - so if you want to play join ASAP! :)

Coldplaying Mini-League Joining Code: FD026-UPW

http://iknowthescore.premierleague.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong outcome -10

Example: You predict Arsenal 1 - Chelsea 1 and the result is Arsenal 1 - Chelsea 2

Correct outcome but wrong goal difference +10

Example: You predict Arsenal 2 - Chelsea 1 and the result is Arsenal 4 - Chelsea 2

Correct outcome and correct goal difference +15

Example: You predict Arsenal 2 - Chelsea 1 and the result is Arsenal 3 - Chelsea 2

The draw predicted correctly but incorrect result +20

Example: You predict Arsenal 2 - Chelsea 2 and the result is Arsenal 1 - Chelsea 1

Correct result +30

Example: You predict Arsenal 1 - Chelsea 2 and the result is Arsenal 1 - Chelsea 2

Correct Banker Placement x2 or x3

If you place the Banker Chip on any correct outcome your points score for that fixture is multiplied. If a fixture contains a team that finished within the top 4 league places in the previous Gameweek the multiplier will be x2 otherwise it will be x3.

Correct Insurance Placement 0

Example: If you placed your Insurance chip on a fixture whose outcome you predicted incorrectly then the worst you can score is 0.

Banker Bonus

If you place your Banker correctly your Banker Bonus for the following week is credited with +5 points up to a maximum of +20. If you place your Banker incorrectly, your Banker Bonus is reset to zero for the following week. If you decide not to play your Banker your bonus will be protected but you will not score your bonus for that Gameweek.

On correct outcome the Banker Bonus works as follows:

Wk0 0

Wk1 +5

Wk2 +10

Wk3 +15

Wk4 (maximum) +20

Wk5 (maximum) +20

I have not seen anyone really ask this most important question, what is going to happen to Manchester City when the owner gets sent down. ?

Its already been said that he has borrowed the money in the region of 250 million pounds that he has spent at the club so far.

Its fairly likley he wont get his money back, that the courts have frozen in Thailand. !

City may be in real trouble here and end up sinking without a trace, if all goes wrong it will be the biggest bankcrupty of a club that has even been known !

• 2 weeks later...
Well done to United for winning the community shield on penalties.
I was surprised that Van de Sar managed to wake up for the pen round as he spent the game asleep unbothered in goal. :P Did 'Arry take Croutch off before the pen round? Should have been 1st choice to take one. :thinking: From what I saw of the game, the Skates looked shit against Manure reserves and 1 for 4 on pens LOL great job. :kiss:

I'm going to uni in southampton this september, so I'll be attending a few games at st mary's. I'd hate to see them get relegated because I don't wanna be watching league 1 next season :P

I'll be travelling to portsmouth more often for some premiership action :laugh3: