✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ask the Oracle on Coldplay.com (Now in session!)

twistedlogic149

January 23, 2012 - submitted by Wde Le, Netherlands

Q. Q. Hello Oracle!

Why is the Safety - EP called Safety? There is no song on it that's called Safety.

So: why?

The Oracle replies:

Well, there doesn't have to be a song with the title of an EP or album but in answer as to why, it's because when the photo of the cover was developed, the word safety was still visible on the camera film. From negative to print it remained.

January 23, 2012 - submitted by Natalia, Colombia

Q. Hello, I always see that Chris uses the same blue shirt and pink, but I think it's always the same, so my question is, Chris has many blue shirts are the same or always the same as they wash them?

The Oracle replies:

As with every tour, there are more than one of each outfit for each band member. Chris has several tees but they are laundered after each sow and rotated.

January 23, 2012 - submitted by Evelien Coolens, Belgium[/color][/b]

Q. Hello,

I was just wondering, is this Chris' handwriting?

I bought this a couple of years ago and it has bothered me ever since. If it is, this release must be genuine, right?

The Oracle replies:

No, that isn't Chris' handwriting, this is.

I knew she'd answer it, not the answer I was hoping for though :p

January 24, 2012 - submitted by Radhika, India

Q. Hey I just watched The Nappies video and I found it hilarious! When did Coldplay make that video?

The Oracle replies:

The band recorded the video for fun in anticipation of Chris' first born child. We first showed it on the website back in May 2004 in celebration of her arrival.

January 24, 2012 - submitted by Oscar, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle! My question is this: One of my favorite songs is Brothers and Sisters, and I've heard other versions of the song, so I was wondering if the band ever released it. Thanks, and I hope you answer my question.

The Oracle replies:

As far as I know there are only 2 versions out there; a demo that was never released and the Fierce Panda single that was.

edit:

As far as I know there are only 3 versions out there; a demo that was never released, the Fierce Panda single that was and the later version that appeared on the Trouble single.

*Thanks for pointing out the 3rd version Polli.

January 24, 2012 - submitted by Harja, Netherlands

Q. Dear Oracle,

In some songs, it looks like Guy and Jonny are not singing live. Is this true? If so, why?

Thanks!

The Oracle replies:

I have never noticed that myself. All 4 of the guys sing live and I assure you that no-one is miming "live" - ever.

January 24, 2012 - submitted by Melanie, United Kingdom

Q. There is an episode of The Simpsons with Coldplay in it, was that actually Chris Martin's voice?

Thanks

Huge fan of Coldplay!!

The Oracle replies:

Many episodes of The Simpsons feature celebrity guests; sometimes they play characters and sometimes they play themselves. There are occasions where a celebrity is impersonated but in Chris' case, it was indeed Chris.

January 25, 2012 - submitted by Carolyn, Indonesia

Q. If I will reborn, I would like be Chris Martin. The question is, may I pick another job besides musicians? Kindly advise me, Oracle. ;)

The Oracle replies:

I'm too intrigued as to why you want to be Chris if you don't want to be a musician? I'm pretty sure the way of the universe goes that you don't get reborn as someone who already exists or has existed...*

*If indeed anyone is ever reborn of course.

January 25, 2012 - submitted by Marco, Italy

Q. How many questions do you receive in a day?

Marco

The Oracle replies:

A gazillion trillion! Erm, it usually depends. More during weekends and holidays. Lots during touring. I guess the average is still 100+.

January 25, 2012 - submitted by Oscar, Sweden

Q. When I saw Coldplay at Globen,

Chris Martin said to the audience that The Scientist originally was written by Metallica. This is a piece of info that is nowhere to be found on the internet. Rather the opposite. Was this just a joke by Chris?

The Oracle replies:

This is a fine example of Chris' sense of humour of which there are hundreds of examples. It must be hard sometimes to know what's true and what's not but Metallica are (almost) as far away as you can get from Coldplay so I assure you this is a 100% joke.

January 25, 2012 - submitted by Oscar, Sweden[/color][/b]

Chris Martin said to the audience that The Scientist originally was written by Metallica. This is a piece of info that is nowhere to be found on the internet. Rather the opposite. Was this just a joke by Chris?

The Oracle replies:

This is a fine example of Chris' sense of humour of which there are hundreds of examples. It must be hard sometimes to know what's true and what's not but Metallica are (almost) as far away as you can get from Coldplay so I assure you this is a 100% joke.

:lol::lol::lol: Chris :rolleyes: :lol::laugh3::laugh3:

The Oracle replies:

HAHAHAH! OH CHRIS! :D I find it extremely funny how some people dont get Chris' jokes. :D :laugh3::laugh3:

January 24, 2012 - submitted by Oscar, United States of America[/color][/b]

Q. Hello Oracle! My question is this: One of my favorite songs is Brothers and Sisters, and I've heard other versions of the song, so I was wondering if the band ever released it. Thanks, and I hope you answer my question.

The Oracle replies:

As far as I know there are only 2 versions out there; a demo that was never released and the Fierce Panda single that was.

Oho! The Oracle is wrong for once :lol: There are 3 versions:

The demo version that leaked with Ode to Deodorant

The official Single/EP version

The Trouble B-Side version

get your facts right Debs ;)

The Oracle replies:

Hahahaha. :laugh3:

January 26, 2012 - submitted by Sajni, United Kingdom

Q. I was looking online to see if I could buy the Saftey EP and I was shocked to find that it is about £1000 - £3000 I was just wondering why it is so expensive? Is it because it is now an antique item and because they have stopped making the CD's? Thanks!!

The Oracle replies:

Not exactly no. There were only 500 copies of the Safety EP pressed up back in 1998 and none since. That makes the EP an incredibly rare and much sought after item which is why the price is so high.

January 26, 2012 - submitted by Mark, United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle, I am the drummer in Viva La Coldplay (A Coldplay Tribute Band from Liverpool/Manchester). I was recently given a pair of Will's drumsticks (well used) and as a prized possession I wanted to make sure these are Will's (given to me after a show), so my question is could you tell me what sticks Will uses and are they modified in any way? I've searched the internet with little joy! As a second part to my question, how often would will change his sticks? Kind regards Mark.

The Oracle replies:

Bash - Will's drum tech - told me that Will uses Pro Mark 5b American Hickory wood tips. He gets through 4 or 5 per show. Sometimes they may paint a pair but there are no other modifications.

January 26, 2012 - submitted by Mark, United Kingdom[/color][/b]

Q. Hi Oracle, I am the drummer in Viva La Coldplay (A Coldplay Tribute Band from Liverpool/Manchester). I was recently given a pair of Will's drumsticks (well used) and as a prized possession I wanted to make sure these are Will's (given to me after a show), so my question is could you tell me what sticks Will uses and are they modified in any way? I've searched the internet with little joy! As a second part to my question, how often would will change his sticks? Kind regards Mark.

The Oracle replies:

Bash - Will's drum tech - told me that Will uses Pro Mark 5b American Hickory wood tips. He gets through 4 or 5 per show. Sometimes they may paint a pair but there are no other modifications.

It's like a real life version of that one kid from the Life In Technicolor II video :lol: