• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I saw White Lies last night in Luxembourg! :dance:

(To say it in advance: this was better than Kasabian!!)

First time I saw WL was at the Wembley gigs and I liked them so much that I bought the CD the day after in London.

Then I loved the album so much that I bought my ticket for last night's gig and man, it was soooooo worth the trip to Luxembourg!!

I arrived at 7pm (one hour before doors opened) and there were 6 people waiting already: 2 girls from Scotland, one from Greece and 3 Belgian people. We talked the entire time and the hour passed so quickly!!

M., the girl from Greece had been to the concert the night before already and said the opening band Darker My Love was good - they were, but the microphones were too silent compared to the instruments so we couldn't understand anything they sang :(

Anyways, we were all in the first row and excited to see WL!

We could see parts of the setlist before it even began...

It reminded me of the WarChild gig in London in December where we glimpsed at the setlist as well. To anyone reading this who has been there: Big :hug:

Time for the band to hit the stage!!

4059926764_c63aeb3b1c.jpg

4059183597_3d9b4490fa_o.jpg

As soon as "Farewell to the Fairground" began I knew this would be a great gig... the whole place was cheering and singing loudly!! :awesome:

But basically every song was "greeted" with a loud cheer of anticipation...

Here is the setlist (spoiler of what happened after the gig included :D):

4059181815_df61bc3326.jpg

You could see in the guys' faces that they were happy about this crowd as well, they were smiling a lot and Harry let us sing some parts on our own - it seemed like the whole crowd attending had listened to their album as much as I did before :lol:

4059184397_f570739b36.jpg

4059932580_0e6f5b841b.jpg

4059931738_aa9e2ecc2e.jpg

4059194369_f2296d2c58.jpg

By the time they played "Unfinished Business" everybody was jumping and singing! :dance:

Here's Harry looking straight into my camera :)

4059934602_a135789034_o.jpg

So cute that he is standing on his toes most of the time he's singing.

He asked if we celebrate Halloween and wished us a nice weekend.

When they left the stage we knew from the setlist glimpsing already that they would do 3 more songs - we wouldn't have stopped screaming and clapping until they come back anyways.

They played "Heaven", a Talking Heads cover and "From the Stars" before "Death" turned the whole place into a big big clapping & jumping party!! :dance:

Then it was over and time to say goodbye...

4059191509_f5f0a7af3b.jpg

... for an hour! :D

The two girls from Scotland, M., another guy and me waited after the gig to meet the band.

I talked to their sound technician before and he told me that the Wembley gigs had been great for him too - it was the first time he flew in a helicopter! :)

Ok, one hour later everybody except us 5 people had left and Harry was the first one to come outside to smoke a cigarette.

He was so nice! And so were all the others!!!

They posed for pictures with us, we talked about the gig, Wembley, Jay-Z, Girls Aloud (haha, they agree with me, I won't say more)...

They saw us "yellow T-shirt people", remembered that Jay-Z gave a shout out to us even!

Their families had seen the Wembley gigs as well from the back of the stadium.

They said that from the stage the stadium didn't appear THAT humongous but when they joined their families after their set to watch the rest of the show they realised how big the place actually is...

When Jack, the drummer, came outside he put a jacket on and admitted he was a bit drunk :drunk:.

He even had problems to fasten up his jacket :lol:

M. came to the rescue and helped him - priceless!!

Because he looked so :shocked2: in the picture with me we took a secod one and he promised to make a happy face :lol: (He did, but I like both pics :P)

All pictures here.

It was so great that I met M.

In the end we found out that I had parked my car right in front of her hotel so none of us had to walk through town on her own. What a funny coincidence!!

They'll be on tour until December, take some weeks off to relax and then get back to writing new songs and go to the studio.

I'm really looking forward to what we will hear next from White Lies, but I'm sure it'll be great and these guys will have a long career.

:heart:

If I could I'd go to see them again in a hearbeat!!

So I can only recommend to anyone: If they're playing near you - GO GO GO!!!

Buuuu Anna you're making me even sadder that I won't be able to go to either Rome or Milan to see them :bigcry: :bigcry:

I still have a bit of hope for Rome..and if I make it I want to bring a banner saying

"More White Lies

Less Girls Aloud"

since it seems they think the same as all of us :lol:

Oh and you took some bootiful pics :nice:

P.S. The WarChild gig :heart: :hug:

• 1 month later...

I looked through my old Q Magazine from last year again, the one where the big Coldplay article is in (no 264, July 2008) and stumbled upon this:

th_IMG_2609.jpg

Don't know if it had been mentioned here before but I just found it funny to see that 1 1/2 years later, after they've been on tour with Coldplay and played in stadiums indeed.

Me again :P

This is an email from the band:

THANKS FOR A GREAT 2009... ONWARDS TO 2010!!!

wl_15-12-09_01.jpg

Hi Everyone

It's only as the year comes to a end, and the last gig's over that we've had time to reflect and appreciate the incredible year we have had.

Most of that is down to you, our fans. We honestly could not have asked for a better time this year.

Since the album charted at #1 back in Jan ***we were alone in Nikel, Russia at the time shooting the video for "Farewell To The Fairground" so celebrated that alone*** we've spent much of our time glued to aeroplane seats, played in every climate imaginable to amazing crowds all over the world. We're overwhelmed and pretty humbled by the level of support you guys have shown us.

A list of thanks seems the only way to remember this year's highlights:

in no particular order...

Thanks to the people of New York City for almost destroying the floor during "Death" at Webster Hall in Sept.

Thank you Denmark for throwing open arms out to White Lies and giving us a second home. Special thanks to Anja & friends for letting us play in your front room.

Thanks to all our fans in Japan who write to us especially Aika and Yoshimi. You all made Fuji Rock Festival & our Tokyo headline shows amazing.

Thanks to the guys at Stolen Girlfriends Club in New Zealand, not only giving us free scarves and clothes, but for providing a safe haven for a killer hangover after our incredible gig in Auckland.

Thanks to Q, Mojo & the readers of NME/NME.com - it's pretty much beyond our wildest dreams to have scooped awards on our debut record, whilst they're not why we do this; getting an acknowledgement meant a lot from both Q and Mojo. Sorry the acceptance speeches have been er... limited. We honestly didn't expect either award.

The NME Albums of the Year fan vote is still live, we're currently somewhere in the top 10, our message board says we've been as high as #2, feel free to click here if you want to help out. stick the record in the Top 10... and it's case closed! We'll take the fan vote over the writers anyday.

Special word to Kings Of Leon and Coldplay for taking us to parts of the world we never thought we'd get to see. And thanks to Kings Of Leon for doing their best to get us drunk as often as possible in such warm, welcoming company.

Thanks to Glasvegas and Florence & the Machine for great memories from the NME Awards Tour, and to Friendly Fires for double the memories, we spent a month in a bus together trawling around America as well as the NME Awards Tour! And to the people of Glasgow Barrowlands, Heineken Open'er Festival (Poland) our favourite show all year, those that chose to watch White Lies at Glastonbury in blazing sunshine on The Other Stage (we're still gobsmacked at the footage of 40,000 of you), the Russians from the only restaurant in Nikel, Sarah the Wolf from the "To Lose My Life" video for not eating us.

Thanks to all the great bands that have come on the road with us... School of Seven Bells, Violens, Wild Beasts, Asobi Seksu, Darker My Love, The Kissaway Trail, Neon Indian, Post War Years, The Soft Pack, Japanese Motors and and any others we've forgotten!

But mainly thanks to everyone who's bought the record helping us become 2009's best selling debut British artist in the World this year. We still can't get our heads around that.

It means a lot.

We don't know how to repay you other than to say we're off to write the next album, it will be better in every way, we plan to push every boundary of White Lies to the limit, all of these great experiences in 2008 & 2009 mean we've figured things out now and know what we're doing this time around! White Lies have only just got started.

Other than working on the new record, in Feb we have a final round of shows on this one!

4 Feb 2010 - Glav Club, Moscow, RUSSIA

5 Feb 2010 - Glav Club, St Petersburg, RUSSIA

7 Feb 2010 - Stodola, Warsaw, POLAND

17 Feb 2010 - Alcatraz, Milan, ITALY

18 Feb 2010 - Piper Club, Rome, ITALY

20 Feb 2010 - Arena, Vienna, AUSTRIA

21 Feb 2010 - Backstage, Munich, GERMANY

22 Feb 2010 - Volkshaus, Zurich, SWITZERLAND

And then...

2-5 June 2010 - Skive Festival, DENMARK

and for those of you with nothing better to do on New Year's Eve, Jack & Charles are DJ'ing at The Garage, N5

See you in 2010 for the next chapter. You've made the first one very special.

Happy Christmas everyone!

White Lies

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Denmark for throwing open arms out to White Lies and giving us a second home. Special thanks to Anja & friends for letting us play in your front room.

Yeh baby. :sneaky:

Can't wait to see them at Skive Festival (a Danish Festival) next summer!

I need to listen to all the songs more before I pick a favorite. Which is rare for me, because I can usually pick my favorite off an album in a heartbeat.

I still don't have a favourite song of the album too, it keeps changing from time to time.