✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

29-Oct-08: Boston - TD Banknorth Garden - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was sooooo good. they played the acoustic part in my section i touched all of them. viva la vida was unbelievable. so much singing. we wore the obama armband and talked about him which i loved. and he thinks palin's hot!

what?! lol :laugh3: he said he thinks that palin is hot? I can't wait for vid's of this

it was sooooo good. they played the acoustic part in my section i touched all of them. viva la vida was unbelievable. so much singing. we wore the obama armband and talked about him which i loved. and he thinks palin's hot!

you touched em!!! :stunned:

Coldplay puts on one hot live show

Coldplay’s the biggest band in the world? How is that even possible?

It’s not the lite rock radio hits or monochromatic albums that make Coldplay rock champions. It’s the live show. And everybody at last night’s sold-out TD Banknorth Garden shows knows that.

Chris Martin’s got a rock star bio - married to starlet, kid with weird name, known the world over - he just doesn’t have Bono’s ego. But he doesn’t need it. In front of thousands, he’s (almost) got Bono’s charisma.

The band began with “Life in Technicolor,” but life didn’t go from black and white to high-def until “Clocks.” Louder and brighter than on the album, the song was the starting gun for a show with a shockingly furious pace.

“In My Place” jolted the audience into a singalong that lasted an hour and a half and had Martin whirling and bouncing around the stage like a top. When Mr. Paltrow wasn’t pounding out piano chords, he was sprinting and shouting and dancing and collapsing in (maybe) mock exhaustion.

Throughout the night, songs flattened on albums were inflated into stadium rock: “Cemeteries of London,” “Fix You” and the expected encore “Yellow” became fat hooks that elated fans.

And for a band with a blah reputation, it took loads of live risks.

The electro set of “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face” and “Talk” had the whole band at the end of a catwalk including drummer Will Champion on electronic kit. The sound hiccups helped make it chaotically un-Coldplay.

The acoustic set had the band popping up in middle of the audience in some lower loge seats.

Coldplay didn’t sell out the Garden for the second time this year because of a few hits. The band did it because they legitimately rock.

Opener Duffy - the latest female retro soul singer - overcame some early sound problems to put on a decent show.

http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view/2008_10_30_Coldplay_puts_on_one_hot_live_show/srvc=home&position=also

I'm not going to give a full review, but the show was beyond words! We got there before the doors opened. Went up to our balcony seats and sat in a section that tickets wernt sold for ( it was the balcony section that was next to us) we sat in the front row and a man with the show pulled us aside and gave us 3rd row floor seats. Chris saw my sign and liked right at me. As for merch I got the viva la vida hoodie and I love it! Amazing show amazing night ;-)

-Love Jesse-

PS - Did anyone see my sign? I held it up before the show (during the rap song). And I have a little confettie from the show... Night everyone -Peace Love Happines Health Coldplay-

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!:D:D:D:D Congrats! The Coldplay-karma spreads & continues!!!

Maybe its the ecxitement talking but I LOVE MY FELLOW COLDPLAYERS! :laugh3: See all of you there tonight! I wish all of you Peace Love Health and Happynes! I am so excited for tonight even more than last time!

-Love Jesse- :P

PS: Look for my sign, "LETS TALKCOLDPLAY"

Hi Jessie! Was that you on the floor near Guys ramp with your sign. We had loge seats row 8 on that side too, just a bit further down, just opposite the b-stage. I do think I saw you, least I saw some one with that sign!! ( I really need glasses, lol!)

I think no full coldplaying reviews and set lists yet because it's a week day and all us poor concert goers have school or work today so came home and headed to bed. I will post some pictures later, looks like I got some good ones. Here are a few random post concert thoughts...

I'm a big fan of the song "Yes" and was ready to be disappointed when it didn't make it on the set list BUT since they included Cemetaries of London, it was a great trade.

The Acoustic version of "The Hardest Part" was stunningly beautiful. It should have been released in that form.

The extra video screens and use of the magic balls just gets better and better. The tech on this show is so well done.

Chris's repeatedly riffing on Hall and Oats was typical Chris randomness and we love him for it.

Don't hate me but I thought Yellow as the encore wasn't the best choice. Would have fit better earlier in the set, say just before b-stage.

The crowd was LOUD, and coldplay fans are the best. I sat next to a lovely young couple who had homemade t-shirts and rocked hard the entire concert. You get energy from a crowd like that and it can make the night.

What were the problems that occured during the techno "Got Put A Smile On Your Face"/"Talk" Techno Medley? I didn't notice (apparently I'm one of those non-musical experts Chris referred to!). Did something happen with Will?

I want to say that this was the setlist:

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Cemeteries Of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)

Talk (techno remix)

The Hardest Part (piano - Chris)

Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

The Scientist (acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will singing)

Viva La Vida (remix interlude) : I liked the old "Talk" one better!

First Encore

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

Second Encore

Yellow : I agree that this worked better in the middle like last time w/ Death as the final song, but whatever. Still good!

The Escapist (exit music)

Quote from Reign of Love:

"What were the problems that ocurred during the techno "Got Put A Smile On Your Face"/"Talk" Techno Medley? I didn't notice (apparently I'm one of those non-musical experts Chris referred to!). Did something happen with Will?"

Yes, I think it was with Will's earpiece.

We were seated right next to the b-stage 8 rows up in the loge there. Will was tapping his earpiece during the talk portion. When he wasn't singing he was gesturing and looking down and mouthing something to the tech guys on the floor near the b-stage so I think it was a problem with him being able to hear.

Really couldn't say it flawed the songs though, I thought the b-stage set was lovely, particularly Chris doing "The Hardest Part" out there by himself.

Thanks for the set list!!!!

It was funny watching all the fans, particulaly the gang on the floor, get all hyped up over "The Blue Danube", a classical waltz which was the piece that played just before the boys took the stage. Fun!

It was a great night, I saw them in Hartford earlier this summer, the sound at the Garden was much better. We were up top in S318 at the side and slightly behind the stage, so we got to see them behind the curtain performing Life in Technicolour, right away they were having so much fun jamming I knew it was going to be a great show. Very funny that Chris called Sarah Palin a Superbabe and made another Jonas Brothers joke.

Jessie - were you to the right of the stage (looking at the stage) - on the floor? I think I saw your sign! (I haven't read through this whole thread yet, so not sure if this has been talked about yet)

I was up in the club seats, sect 143, row C, awesome view!!

TALK[/color] COLDPLAY[/size]" sign with me. :)

-Jesse-

ps. sorry for no review- tough on a weekday- but I liked the show better than in August.... I was happy with the songs that got traded in / out of the setlist, thought the energy was better- technical improvements were many - big video display on the back had some neat effects.. I actually liked Yellow at the end... concert felt kind of unfinished at the end last time.... still too short for my book though! needed 3-4 more old songs

The show was great, I agree, I think it was better than Augusts show. They seemed to be a little tighter, a little more energenic (is that possible???)

I hadn't been reading the newer setlists, so I kept wondering when they were going to play Viva la Vida, last time they put it right at the beginning, so it was great to have it closer to the end.

I had much better seats than I did last time, and a much better view. Concerts are so emotional for me, I'm not sure why, but I always get choked up during concerts, NOT ALL OF THEM, but Coldplay does it for me. Especially at the beginning when the first song kicks in.

The crowd was full of energy. My only complaint was the 2 mothers and young daughters in my row going in and out, in and out, in an out....drives me crazy. JUST STAY STILL!!!

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member to this site and was at the Boston show last night. I was in Section 9 (Loge), the next section over from where the band did their little acoustic set. I saw your sign, Jessie!

My review, x-posted from my LJ:

Coldplay was awesome. I'd heard that their SNL performance was weak, so I was a little worried, but it turned out I didn't need to worry at all. The guys were in top form and Chris talked to the audience a lot. He seems like a really sweet guy. He asked a boy how old he was and when the boy said he was 12, Chris asked "Are you a Jonas Brother?" He said "We don't feel like an old band, we're only in our 30s, but we keep getting kicked off the charts by teenagers."

They did most of the tracks from Viva La Vida, a few from X&Y, a few from A Rush of Blood[...] and ended with "Yellow." I would have liked to hear them do the full version of "Talk," and I'm not sure that they did any of "Square One," which was supposed to be included in a medley. They did play "Fix You," which made me sniffly.

So, I didn't get a floor seat, but I wasn't in the nosebleed section either. ;) My seat ended up being better than I thought it would be, because the band came up to do a mini-acoustic set about 3 rows over from where I was sitting! I'll see if I can find a picture to post of that.

During the acoustic session, Chris dedicated "The Scientist" to Sarah Palin. *giggle*

All in all, I'm glad I went.

/review

Despite having known about them for years, I'm pretty late to the Coldplay fan bandwagon. :embarassed:

Coldplay, front man Martin work hard to please - and succeed

It's hard to dislike someone who's determined to please you. So for all you Coldplay haters - and your numbers are strong - here's a bit of advice: See the band live before you judge.

No one wants you to love Coldplay more than lead singer Chris Martin. With a perpetual bounce in his step, he worked hard at TD Banknorth Garden last night, bounding like a clumsy toddler down the two side stages that led into the audience. On the swooping chorus of "In My Place," he swept his arms out to the crowd, midriff exposed, as if he had just hit a home run.

And when the house lights came on so he could get a good look at his loyal subjects, you got the genuine feeling this was where he belonged - and wanted to be. He also thanked everyone for selling out the Garden again just two months after Coldplay's last show at the venue.

And the music? Shockingly good. Martin is the backbone of Coldplay, but the quartet gets its flesh and blood from drummer Will Champion, bassist Guy Berryman, and especially lead guitarist Jonny Buckland, whose solos on "Green Eyes" and "42" added dimension and unlikely textures.

Coldplay has solved the age-old dilemma of how to make a stadium feel like a living room. Its solution: play somewhere where your audience least expects it - and far from the front row. At one point, the band bolted to a surprise spot halfway up the Garden and launched a mini acoustic set.

Martin then offered an odd preface to "The Scientist": "This is a romantic song about the governor of Alaska." Once the boos died down, his retort was decidedly more crass: "Politics aside, she's a [expletive] superbabe!"

Earlier in the evening, as a makeshift side stage materialized, the quartet huddled close for "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face," which bled into a snippet of "Talk." That gave way to Martin's solo piano rendition of "The Hardest Part" (made famous by Hall & Oates, "and we made it less famous," Martin cracked).

But the heartfelt sentiment was over soon enough, as the intro to "Viva la Vida," the big hit and title track from the band's latest album, thundered out of the speakers and launched the requisite sing-along.

That dazzling showmanship made opener Duffy seem just that. Like a '50s pin-up plucked from a Phil Spector recording session, she slinked onstage in shiny red heels to the opening chords of her breakthrough hit, "Rockferry." The young Welsh singer got down and dirty on "Delayed Devotion" and "Mercy," but even they couldn't mask a voice that was often paper-thin and borderline shrill.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2008/10/30/coldplay_front_man_martin_work_hard_to_please___and_succeed/

It's hard to dislike someone who's determined to please you. So for all you Coldplay haters - and your numbers are strong - here's a bit of advice: See the band live before you judge.

No one wants you to love Coldplay more than lead singer Chris Martin. With a perpetual bounce in his step, he worked hard at TD Banknorth Garden last night, bounding like a clumsy toddler down the two side stages that led into the audience. On the swooping chorus of "In My Place," he swept his arms out to the crowd, midriff exposed, as if he had just hit a home run.

And when the house lights came on so he could get a good look at his loyal subjects, you got the genuine feeling this was where he belonged - and wanted to be. He also thanked everyone for selling out the Garden again just two months after Coldplay's last show at the venue.

And the music? Shockingly good. Martin is the backbone of Coldplay, but the quartet gets its flesh and blood from drummer Will Champion, bassist Guy Berryman, and especially lead guitarist Jonny Buckland, whose solos on "Green Eyes" and "42" added dimension and unlikely textures.

Coldplay has solved the age-old dilemma of how to make a stadium feel like a living room. Its solution: play somewhere where your audience least expects it - and far from the front row. At one point, the band bolted to a surprise spot halfway up the Garden and launched a mini acoustic set.

Martin then offered an odd preface to "The Scientist": "This is a romantic song about the governor of Alaska." Once the boos died down, his retort was decidedly more crass: "Politics aside, she's a [expletive] superbabe!"

Earlier in the evening, as a makeshift side stage materialized, the quartet huddled close for "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face," which bled into a snippet of "Talk." That gave way to Martin's solo piano rendition of "The Hardest Part" (made famous by Hall & Oates, "and we made it less famous," Martin cracked).

But the heartfelt sentiment was over soon enough, as the intro to "Viva la Vida," the big hit and title track from the band's latest album, thundered out of the speakers and launched the requisite sing-along.

That dazzling showmanship made opener Duffy seem just that. Like a '50s pin-up plucked from a Phil Spector recording session, she slinked onstage in shiny red heels to the opening chords of her breakthrough hit, "Rockferry." The young Welsh singer got down and dirty on "Delayed Devotion" and "Mercy," but even they couldn't mask a voice that was often paper-thin and borderline shrill.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2008/10/30/coldplay_front_man_martin_work_hard_to_please___and_succeed/

:shocked2: Did they play Green Eyes???

COLDPLAY ROCKED BOSTON!!!!

HOLY MOLY COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!

LAST NITE WAS SOOOOOO 10000000x's AMAZING!

I'll write a longer review later.

But for now, I SAW YOUR SIGN JESSE!!!!! :cool:

DID YOU SEE MY MUM AND ME? We had 2 signs!

I even got a picture of you holding your sign during "Lovers In Japan" when Chris came by. He saw both of our signs!!!!!!

I AM JUST SOOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!! AHHH!!!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE, COLDPLAY, esp. THE ROADIES, TRUE FANS, EVERYONE!!!!!! :heart:

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FROM MY HEART!

Quick Highlights:

- Duffy was great!

- Tom Hamilton, bass player of "Aerosmith", stood in front of us for a few minutes and we talked with him!!!!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLSGID6ftI][/ame]

- Chris' electric guitar fluke during "God Put A Smile..." lol, he switched to piano and commented (humorously) about it afterwards.

- Will's earpiece malfunction. He was laughing with Jonny.

- Chris dedicating "The Scientist" to "the Alaskan governor" and the massive boos from the crowd. The he called Palin a "f*cking hot superbabe"!!!! :laugh3:

- Oh there is so much more. but i need sleep...ZZZzzzz sleep satisfies.

LOVE TO PEOPLE WHO WILL PLEASE KINDLY POST THEIR PICS, VIDS, MEMORIES, AND EVERYTHING!

THANK YOU!!!!! I can't say that enough!