✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

16-Aug-2009: MCH Arena, Herning, Denmark - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julie, I could hear Will just fine. The two of you did a nice duet. :P

Thanks so much for posting it - can't get enough Will...

Haha, you are too nice. :lol: :shy:

You're welcome. ;)

Thanks Julie!! :hug:

I agree with Ifdianne, you did a lovely duet. :smug:

Have to get some sleep now, been sooooo tired everyday at school since the concert. :D

Good night guys. :)

Haha, aww thanks. :hug:

I feel the same. :lol: Why go to bed when you can stay up watching/posting videos and photos of the concert, duh? :rolleyes: I'll catch up in the weekend.

Ahhhhh!!!! :bomb:

Julie, thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!! :wacky:

You and Will sound great, it's not nearly as loud as you sait it would be, your singing is so cute!! :nice: :blush:

Thank you for posting, you just made a lot of us really happy :kiss:

Aww, thanks. :blush: :hug:

You are welcome. :kiss: Everything for you guys. :nice:

It's Julie right?

Thank you thank you thank youuuuuu!!!!

Will's singing is just so sweet...I think that song suits his voice well :heart::heart::heart:

Yup, it's Julie. :)

You're welcome. :nice:

Tnx Julie!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Trust me we dont mind you in the back! :D You should see my video of Snow Patrol "Run". :D

But tnx tnx tnx for this... :D so cute!!! Its strange to hear his voice in that song. :D

In the back?! But I'm nearly the only thing you can hear? :confused: :lol:

[/url]

Wow, they recorded many of the songs. :stunned: Thank you for the tip. :)

It was nice to relive the thing for a moment... :wacko:

I LOVE YOU!!Thank you!!!:D:D So great

Uh... okay. :uhoh: :P (haha, you're actually the 2nd one who says they love me today. :P I'm very popular today :rolleyes: :P) You're welcome. ;)

My family said that they could see my brother and me on the big screen at some point. :surprised: Cool.

I think I'll have time to really write my detailed review tomorrow. :)

ah yeah a little off at the beginning for jonny boy there. but he executed the rest nicely :) and the Will video :will::wideeyed: (nice duet) lol

I was like "What?! Isn't this In My Place?" for a split second when he played the wrong tone. :lol:

Bahah. :P

Let me illustrate TKC:

:shocked2::o:stunned::wink3::o:sneaky:

:sneaky::shy: :sneaky:

:blush::sneaky::shocked2::jonny: ↓Will :guy::wink3::bomb:

:wink3::wacky::chris::will: :wacky::wacko::blush:

:):stunned::shocked2::stunned::o:)

:stunned::D:):stunned::):D:stunned:

:):):nice::dance::):):nice:

:):):):):nice::):):)

:):):dozey::):):) :) ←Crowd

:):):nice::):):):nice::):)

:):):charming::):) :) :nice::snore::D

:annoyed::evil::):) :cheesy: :stunned::):uhoh:

Me

*very loud out of tune noise* :rolleyes:

I was like "What?! Isn't this In My Place?" for a split second when he played the wrong tone. :lol:

Let me illustrate TKC:

Me

OH NOES! There's a bomb among the crowd! :o

In the back?! But I'm nearly the only thing you can hear? :confused: :lol:

I know... But it was so funny. I love it when I know how people sound. :D And yeah in this case Will was in the back you were lead singer.

Let me illustrate TKC:

Me

Love that illustration!

If you're talking about this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oohk0N-YM8M

I think you got a little confused there, as it says "The guitarist made an epic fail", not "fall" :P

:lol:

Bahah.

Let me illustrate TKC:

Me

:laugh3: Ace illustration :D

I know... But it was so funny. I love it when I know how people sound. :D And yeah in this case Will was in the back you were lead singer.

Love that illustration!

I don't even think it sounds like me. I can never recognize myself on recordings. :dozey:

:D Thanks.

:lol:

:laugh3: Ace illustration :D

Hehe, thanks. :P

My video of Cemeteries of London:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_vPpvtaFO4]YouTube - Coldplay Cemeteries of London live from Herning, Denmark 16th of August 2009 (16.08.09)[/ame]

Notice how into it Jonny is. :nice: (Jonny-girls will like it, I assume?)

It's best to watch it smaller than the youtube window, so I suggest that you "zoom out your browser window".

My (personal) detailed review [PART 1 - Before the show]

Sunday the 16th of August 2009, Herning, Denmark:

(Attention! If you do not want to read about before the show (which includes soundcheck), then skip part 1

I arrived at Messecenter Herning a bit past 11 am. I was going to see Coldplay live for the first time in the MCH Outdoor Arena. As I sat in the car with my family while we drove past a big sign with the VIVA logo and “COLDPLAY” (http://www.coldplay.com/uploads/midt2.jpg one) I could feel the little excitement coming to me. As you can see in the puppet pictures from Herning posted on Coldplay.com there were both Danish and British flags on poles around the area, which I think was a nice gesture.

My brother and I had trouble finding out where to line up, which caused that I was running back and forth to find the place. It said entrance E on our tickets and after some time we realized that we had to wait where it said E, F and G. By then there were two men before us in the queue. It was okay. Luckily they were really nice and talkative. I was supposed to wait in line with Roos and her family, but it turned out that they had entrance B unfortunately. To my relief, my brother wanted to wait with me for all the hours, just for me. We both had inner scene tickets.

At around noon things started to happen; Coldplay did their soundcheck already! We heard Life in Technicolor, Violet Hill and bits of Lovers in Japan but mostly Speed of Sound which all in all got played about 4 times (both parts and full song). When I stood at a certain place I could see Jonny! Suddenly I saw a man with a girl around my age on his shoulders and they were talking in a language I don’t speak . I was wondering if that could have been Roos (RoosAnne), so I texted her to ask and we met each other. I had been looking forward to that and to give her an early birthday present (a Coldplay bracelet I made for her). The others found a table we could stand on and see the soundcheck from! Speed of Sound means a lot to me, because it was the song that got me to know Coldplay (I was euphoric the first times I heard it), so I felt really excited, happy and had butterflies in my stomach when hearing it at the soundcheck. I hoped and believed that they would play it at the concert. I could only see Will, Guy and Jonny and I couldn’t really hear Chris much, only a few times. They went out on the ramp to play some of GPASUYF and Talk. It felt surreal that they were actually standing there in front of me to see, but it made me very happy. We waved at them. At some point I calmly waved at Jonny with no expectations and guess what?! Jonny waved back at me!! That made me really happy.

Soon after soundcheck other fans joined in the line. One girl had been a fan since 2000 and seen them several times! There were lots of hours of waiting on the program. We did a smart number system a man arranged to prevent late coming people to skip the queue. I had a good time, people were nice and time went by fastly for me.

Right before 6 pm when the gates were scheduled to open I stood nervously with my face towards them with my brother. My heart was beating really fast. I was prepared for the run. Gates opened and I ran as good as I could to get my ticket checked (with security trying to stop us from running and a brother getting stuck in line) and to our spot at the field. My brother joined me soon afterwards. Second row in the centre! That would be almost right in front of Chris as I dreamed of! Roos and her family were a few meters to the right and I could wave at her.

The time waiting for Coldplay felt long – well definitely for my knees. The support bands did their job and afterwards a lot of music was played while Coldplay’s roadies were all over the stage. I saw a couple of roadies I “know” (Hoppy and Matt or Bash - who is who?) and tour manager Franksy. Miller put a camera up right in front of us to film the crowd. I waved at him, but he saw nothing, haha.

There were a lot of people (it is now known that the audience contained 37.500 people) which also was a first time experience for me. It did not frighten me though, because I had space enough to jump around and move my arms, so no claustrophobia for me.

A Jay Z song got played and I knew it was getting close… I could feel the excitement in my whole body. A Coldplay roadie danced to the Jay Z song on one of the two ramps. I have seen him in videos, but he was better than I expected. The Blue Danube was played and I knew beforehand that we were going to clap at the right times to it. The crowd was lively and up for it and the ambiance was great. The Blue Danube ended, the crowd cheered and in a moment it was going to happen…

[…to be continued]

Aw, julie - that's such a nice review!:wacky: THUMBS UP.

Reading it gave me butterflies in the stomach. It all comes back to me again.

8 days ago at this exact time we were waiting impatiently for our boys. yeaaaaaah.

Sorry I haven't read it earlier, been partying and making homework all weekend long, so no time for Coldplaying :(.

Herning Thread

Hi Julie,

Thanks for a great, great review, part 1. :kiss: :)

I look forward to reading part 2 (when it is ready).

Have a nice evening. :)

Today the German radio station NDR2 has had a "Coldplay Day", but I have only heard the station play "Hardest Part" at 16.30, but I have not been listening to NDR2 non-stop all day (for a great part of it I had the sound level at low, while listening to VH1, DK). And I was not home from 15.30 to 16.30 durich which period of time there was a competition to win 2 tickets for tonight's show. That radio station is sponsor for tonight's show in Hannover and gave away the 2 tickets. It was announced that after the end of tonight's show NDR2 would have much more Coldplay (Aftershow Party).

I was at home listening to VH1, Denmark 1. From 12-13 VH1, DK played 6 Coldplay songs: LiT II, GPASUYF, Strawberry Swing, Trouble, Clock and VLV.

At 3am VLV was also played, and at 9.30 Violet Hills in connection with the theme: Grand Avenue versus Coldplay. And being no. 8 in the Playlist Strawberry Swing was played at 14.15 and will be played again at 21.15. So one would think that it was VH1, DK and not NDR2 that had a "Coldplay Day" playing Coldplay at least 10 times! :laugh3::D:lol:

Also a special hallo to RoosAnne. :)

After asking for Till Kingdom Come-vids in 'Coldplay-in-Herning' group on facebook someone sent this to me. yaaaaaaaaaaa!:dance:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dObd-ujN2Kw]YouTube - Coldplay - Till kingdom come and Billie Jean, Live in Herning, 2009 (Will sings TKC)[/ame]

Sorry I haven't posted part two of my review. I've been busy with school stuff. I'll try to write tomorrow. :)

After asking for Till Kingdom Come-vids in 'Coldplay-in-Herning' group on facebook someone sent this to me. yaaaaaaaaaaa!:dance:

YouTube - Coldplay - Till kingdom come and Billie Jean, Live in Herning, 2009 (Will sings TKC)

Yay, a recording that hasn't got my voice on it. :uhoh: :cheesy: :dance:

Thanks Roos! :nice:

TRANSLATION of the Danish newspaper "BT"'s review of Coldplay's concert in Herning on 16 August, 2009

(Article by Lasse Skytt, employed by BT / translated by Nancy Boysen) (4*/6*)

ONLINE version of the Danish newspaper "BT" on Monday 17 August, 2009

Coldplay in the Danish town "Herning" - What a show !! (link: BT.dk )

Herning's high ambitions to host the big events pull well together with Chris Martin's belief that Coldplay is the world's greatest rock band. Almost 40,000 people witnessed that.

Ambitious Herning and Coldplay were a perfect match

Strauss’ ” the Danube Waltz” was played when Coldplay entered the huge stage around 21 o’clock on Sunday, 16 August 2009. Two hours later the concert area in Herning bore witness to a very pompous and magnificent event: Machines emitting confetti, machines emitting smoke, yellow balloons and fireworks were scattered all over the place.

After only 15 minutes’ concert we had already heard a handful of the very best songs written since year 2000, and no doubt about that: Coldplay’s music will continue to be an indisputable part of the sound track of the decade ending in a few months’ time.

Fortunately the band members are also capable of presenting the pop melodies in extravagant and fantastic “live” versions. Chris Martin was full of energy, empathy and joy. And as always the other band members demonstrated an enviable co-operation.

Unfortunately the curly frontman was sometimes so short of breath after having run from one end of the stage to the other that several songs simply had to be shortened.

More Changes Needed

Compared with Coldplay’s concert at this year’s Roskilde Festival, the setlist was almost the same, and there were not many elements of surprise: We had particularly heard the acoustic tribute to Michael Jackson before.

In addition to that, it was a bit frustrating to wait for the many changes of scenery – the intensity fell a bit towards the end of the concert. The highlights, however, overrode all that – the colourful version of "Lovers In Japan" was quite unique and so was Chris Martin’s beautiful version of "The Scientist".

All in all Herning and Coldplay were a perfect match. They can be very proud of each other.

SETLIST

1. Life in Technicolor (intro)

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Yellow

6. Glass of Water

7. Cemeteries of London

8. 42

9. Fix You

10. Strawberry Swing

11. Speed of Sound

12. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face / Talk

13. The Hardest Part / Postcards From Far Away

14. Viva La Vida

15. Lost!

16. Green Eyes

17. Till Kingdom Come

18. Billie Jean (Jackson cover / tribute to Michael Jackson who died on 25 June 2009)

19. Viva la Vida (remix)

20. Politik

21. Lovers in Japan

22. Death And All His Friends

ENCORE

23. The Scientist

24. Life in Technicolor II (outro)

2 more translations of reviews in Danish newspaper of Coldplay's concert in Herning on 16 August 2009 to come later today :)

Coldplay Concert in Herning on 16 August 2009

As promised more reviews of Coldplay's concert in Herning on 16 August 2009

HOCUS-POCUS OF FIRST CLASS

by Palle Heering Nielsen (employed by "Herning Folkeblad") / translated by Nancy Boysen

(Source: Herning Folkeblad, a Danish local paper covering the Herning area)

Coldplay delivered a fantastic and surprising show, but there were sound problems!

English Coldplay gave a fantastic, almost 2-hour-long performance as their European outdoor tour started in front of about 37,000 people at the MCH Outdoor Arena in Herning. It was a first-class show with laser lights, fireworks, yellow huge balloons, flying butterflies made of paper and other special effects making the concert more than just musical entertainment.

Lead singer Chris Martin proved that his vocal chords had recovered after his problems in the USA last week when the band had to cancel a show in Tampa, Florida. Chris Martin was cheerful and attentive. He spoke to the audience as if he knew everyone, and he thanked the audience several times for "having defied the cold and wind" in order to hear Coldplay instead of staying at home to watch television.

The band showed that they had great reserves of energy, and there were several surprises at the concert. Some time during the concert the four musicians "disappeared" and reappeared far back at the concert venue where they played a couple of acoustic songs for those who had been far back in the line for the front rows. The audience heard, among other songs, a tribute to the late Michael Jackson as the foursome played their version of Billie Jean - but without moonwalking.

But Coldplay could walk on water - almost. The only disadvantage of the concert was the sound problems. Several of the well-known riffs and solos disappeared because the instruments were not loud enough, and rumours had it that the sound problems were worse at the back, maybe due to the strong wind as was the case at the Bruce Springsteen concert on 8 July 2009.

It was a pity because all the other details were of really high class. And when the audience left the venue, they received a free CD with live recordings off the Viva La Vida tour to make a successful evening in Herning even better.

The always cheerful Chris Martin

Coldplay spread warmth in windy Herning

Review made by Peter Albrechtsen (employed by the Danish newspaper "Ekstrabladet") / translated by Nancy Boysen

Source: [email protected]

(4*/6*)

Once there was a noble knight named Chris Martin. The curly-headed singer travelled about the entire country in order to spread joy and good vibrations. Everyone loved him, and he loved everyone.

Yesterday Chris Martin arrived in Herning together with the three other Coldplay superstars, and also here love was in the air. The like-able soul is one of the few people on earth capable of smiling in spite of strong wind blowing into his face.

Almost two months ago - on 5 July, 2009 - at the Roskilde Festival when Coldplay was the closing act, Chris Martin showed that he is physically unable to turn the corners of his mouth downwards. Chris Martin did actually not make as many humorous comments and jokes in Herning as he did at the Roskilde Festival, and that meant that the show in Herning was not quite as charming as the show at the Roskilde Festival.

Special effects

On the other hand, in Herning the band played together more energetically and vigorously than at the Roskilde Festival - this applies to drummer Will Champion in particular - but that did not take away the sensitivity of Coldplay's songs which are always full of feelings.

In addition to this, compared to the Roskilde Festival, Coldplay used more special effects and had intensified the set design which was magnificent in itself. We already knew about the machines emitting confetti and the intimate stage among the audience, but the gigantic big screen which was almost as wide as a football ground made you open up your eyes wide.

Unfortunately the ears were not spoiled in the same way during the entire concert, because in the last part of the concert the intensity declined because of too many changes of scenery. It seemed too cheap that the two-hour-long set once again included Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean", but a couple of explosive encore numbers made it difficult to be really cross with the cheerful Coldplay boys.

At the end Chris bowed. And lived happily ever after. [email protected]

GIGANTIC SINGING-ALONG IN HERNINGReview made by Marie Lade

(employed by the Danish newspaper "Ekstrabladet") / translated by Nancy Boysen

The clouds were black, and the wind was very strong in Herning. But Sunday evening in Herning was full of light, warmth and singing-along, because on Sunday 16 August, 2009 in the evening 37,500 people had a gigantic joyful party together with the British rock band Coldplay near Messecenter Herning.

The band had come to Herning in Denmark, the first stop of their European "Viva La Vida tour", where they gave a cool party with singing-along and big, yellow balloons as well as a video show - and fireworks from the large stage the warmth of which reached the rows at the back.

In the back row

The experienced rockstars are famous for being able to deliver a magnificent stage show. So they did in Herning, where the air was full of sweat, drizzle and the smell of sausages, urine and draught beer. In the middle of a parade of well-known hits and with a sense of pleasing everyone, the British rock athletes left the stage, sneaking away unnoticed - and suddenly they were standing on a little platform among the audience in the row far back where the foursome delivered an intimate show in a single ray of light in the darkness. A like-able, little gimmick with guitars and harmonica which really was a hit among the partying / joyous audience and culminating with a tribute to the late Michael Jackson.

Blue beam for Jackson

From the little platform the band asked the audience to switch on their mobile phones and at the same time turn the blue light towards the sky, so that the entire party beamed a common tribute towards the sky while everyone sang Jackson's megahit "Billie Jean" . After that it was again empty, dark and quiet. And then ... with Coldplay's sense of show they were again standing on the stage in an orgy of colours, light and sound.

- "It was not bad at all". That was the happy verdict of many hoarse concert-goers when the show was over. It was a magnificent evening in Herning. [email protected]

Translation of reviews of Coldplay Concert on 16 August 2009 in Herning made by the Danish newspapers Herning Folkeblad and EkstraBladet

I have printed 2 articles with reviews of Coldplay's concert in Munich on 29 August 2009 (taken from "www.laxmag.de and http://www.tz-online.de). The latter is a full review of the concert, published on 30 August 2009, whereas the review posted earlier was a very short review of the concert. I intend to translate both articles in near future. :)