✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

15-Jun-2009: MTS Centre, Winnipeg, Canada - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/Vi

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're great photos! :D and welcome to Coldplaying, your photies got a tweet to 5000 people earlier today ;)

Thanks, and thanks!

The show was awesome. My tweet was also quoted earlier in the posting as well! haha.. :)

People are free to use my pictures, i just ask that you add a link to my flickr page as well as a mention that I took the pictures. Either "jiggajayd" or "Jay Dong" will do.

-Jay

*edit* oh yeah, and let me know that you're going to use them and send me think link! :)

Thanks, and thanks!

The show was awesome. My tweet was also quoted earlier in the posting as well! haha.. :)

People are free to use my pictures, i just ask that you add a link to my flickr page as well as a mention that I took the pictures. Either "jiggajayd" or "Jay Dong" will do.

-Jay

Dude, were you running all over the arena or do you have some space age camera!

Umm.. nope, i was in one spot (Floor, Row 14) besides going to the end of the runway where CM was. My camera is a few years old actually, no space age equipment here! It's a Canon Powershot S5 IS with the CHDK hack applied to it. You can learn more about the hack by googling "CHDK Canon Hack" or something. The camera itself has a 12x optical zoom.

The hack allows me to take pictures in RAW format and I did some post-processing in Photoshop to give the photos more character.

Coldplay#s Martin Thankful for Job

Even rock stars get tired of talking about themselves eventually.

Case in point: Chris Martin. The 32-year-old Coldplay frontman has spent the last year being interviewed by reporters far and wide about the band's gazillion-selling, chart-topping, Grammy-winning album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends. And now that the awards are shelved, the sales are tabulated and the Britrockers' lengthy world tour is finally wrapping up in September, the last thing he really needs to do is another interview.

But along with being fabulously rich, internationally famous, boyishly handsome, skinny and married to the equally fabulous actress Gwyneth Paltrow, Martin also seems to be something you don't always come across in the music industry: A gentleman.

So when Coldplay returned to Western Canada this week to make up for a series of concerts postponed from last year, Martin not only agreed to a chat -- he sat down with me in the front lounge of the band's tour bus on its first stop in Winnipeg. Clad in a light purple shirt he would wear onstage later that night, a militaristic jacket (surprisingly, not part of the band's costumes; guess he just likes that stuff), a pair of dark blue warmup pants, multiple bracelets and peacock blue socks -- "That's not rude, is it?" he wondered about his stocking feet -- he slouched sideways on a couch with his feet up on the sofa opposite. We were asked not to discuss his personal life and legal cases -- that would be claims by both Joe Satriani and Yusuf Islam that he plagiarized Viva la Vida -- but Martin was only to happy to weigh in on the current tour, the next Coldplay album and that weird dream he keeps having.

SUN: I'm kind of surprised that you're still doing press after a year on the road.

MARTIN: Yeah, me too. (Laughs). Well, we, uh ... yeah, good point. I know what you mean.

SUN: I would think you've already said everything about yourself you want. Plus, you're a rock star and it's almost showtime. Shouldn't you be off having yak tea or meditating under a pyramid?

MARTIN:I've already done all that. I just have to have some goat's milk and a French masseuse.

SUN: You kept us waiting a year out here in Western Canada over "production issues." Is that a euphemism?

MARTIN: Well, production issues was the official excuse. And normally when you say that, it's because one of you has had an overdose. But I think it actually may have been the truth. Hopefully in this case it's better late than never. Though some places we go, they would rather it was never than late.

SUN: Are we getting the 'been doing it so long it's streamlined and perfected' show or the 'been at it so long we're sick of it' show?

MARTIN: Well, this week we're building up to filming in Vancouver. So you're getting the 'band trying extremely hard to be great' show.

SUN: You probably don't have to try all that hard.

MARTIN: We do, we do. Of course we do. And we're lucky because we have the bug because no matter how tired you might be or no matter how many concerts you've done, someone comes in the room and has paid money for a ticket and we think, 'We'd better give it everything.'

SUN: Even after all this time, you don't take it for granted?

MARTIN: No. Especially not now. You asked why I'm doing press still. Sometimes that's a good way of communicating your gratitude for still being in the job.

SUN: You seem to do that a lot.

MARTIN: Well, we have a lot to be thankful for.

SUN: A lot of people in your position don't share that attitude.

MARTIN: I disagree with you there. I think most great bands -- at least most people that we look up to -- have that philosophy. That's where we learned it from, from Bruce and from U2 and from ... well, those two. Those two in particular, that's where we learned the work ethic.

SUN: You've been on this tour for a year. And it's not like you can change the set list every night ...

MARTIN: Well, we could. But it would be chaos.

SUN: Right. So how do you keep it fresh after a couple of hundred shows?

MARTIN: Well, between you and me and your millions of readers, if I ever question my motivation, I just try and find a muse. Normally it would be a pretty girl or the fact that your dad is there. There's always something that makes you think I'd better give my best.

SUN: I'm not allowed to ask about your muse.

MARTIN: You can ask anything you like, man; I just don't have to answer.

SUN: Fair enough. But does it feel like you're at the end of a marathon?

MARTIN: Well, I think we might not tour for a while after this tour. I think we see it as a solidification of something by going to all these places. You're showing you are real. I think when you become a big band, people somewhat don't think you are really real. So when you come to a town and play, it brings it all back to earth again. Because most of the time you read about a big band or see them on TV and it's all lawsuits and numbers and all these big things. It doesn't feel like there's real humans in the middle of it. The reason I love the fact that I can do one-on-one interviews or play a show is that it reminds me of why I do what I do. It's direct feedback and it's what it all boils down to; whether people want to sing along to a song or not.

SUN: You've been doing a lot of smaller cities lately -- places you haven't been before and places a lot of bigger bands don't play often. Do you find these audiences respond differently than those in bigger centres?

MARTIN: It's funny how a place can have a characteristic. If you go and play in Japan, say, there's enthusiasm. But it's expressed very pointedly and then everyone goes very silent to listen. So if you've just come from Italy, you think 'Oh God, this Japanese crowd hates us.' Or if you go to Mexico, there's craziness the whole time. So the more we go around the more we learn. And then you go to someplace like Des Moines for the first time and just try to get the measure of it. But the only thing we would take as a bad response would be a mass exit.

SUN: I'm guessing you don't get many of those.

MARTIN: Not for a while. Often in a dream I get that. I get a recurring dream where we can't quite get the song together and after about 15 minutes people start leaving. And I'm looking at my fingers and I can't remember what to do. It's terrible.

SUN: Have you shared this with a therapist?

MARTIN: Not with a therapist, but with Jonny (Buckland) our guitarist. He's the next best thing. That's his role.

SUN: Any other interesting dreams?

MARTIN: They're all interesting. But none of them can be shared in daytime news.

SUN: Is there anything about this tour you'll be glad to see the back end of? One particular song or element?

MARTIN: We've kind of weeded out the songs we didn't like. The great blessing of having some hit singles is that each time you get a new one you can drop something you didn't like. So gradually you can build a set you like from start to finish, five years after. For us at the moment, it's like touring in Cats. It's less of a gig and more of a show. There's something very nice about that. Because you know what's coming. It's a nice machine to be a part of.

SUN: There is a lot of production in this show -- a satellite stage, balloons, butterflies. Why go to all that trouble? At this point, you could come out and play on a bare stage.

MARTIN: And we will do that at some point. The bare stage thing would be good in a small theatre. But not in an arena. And have you seen our butterflies? They look f---ing amazing. That's why we do it.

SUN: I wanted to ask how much of that stuff is for us and how much is for you.

MARTIN: Something like that is for us. When you fill a room with neon butterflies, it looks pretty great. So we keep it. But the show all comes from us. It's what we think fits with the music.

SUN: Is that the kind of show you're a fan of?

MARTIN: Yeah, of course. I love the Flaming Lips more than anyone live. And they take stagecraft and gimmickry to the maximum degree. Compared to their show, ours is pretty light.

SUN: Will we be seeing you walking on the crowd in a giant bubble?

MARTIN: Well, I think that's sort of Wayne Coyne's copyright. There are certain things you don't steal.

SUN: But you're covering a Monkees song. What's the story with that?

MARTIN: We did a Neil Diamond tribute concert just before the Grammys with a bunch of other people. And we asked if we could play I'm a Believer, which most people don't know is a Neil Diamond song. And we played it the next night in our concert, and it got a bigger response than any of our songs, so we thought, 'Don't miss that trick.'

SUN: And you're giving away a live CD -- you guys just keep on giving.

MARTIN: We don't, really. It costs money to come and see us and it costs money to buy our records. Even McDonald's gives you a free toy every so often. It's just natural that if you can afford to make a live record and give it to people, why wouldn't you? If feels great to do it.

SUN: I would imagine it also defeats the purpose of bootlegging the show.

MARTIN: And it makes sure it's a good show out there. Though I don't think we'd have felt comfortable releasing a live album in a conventional way. I don't know if that would work in this day and age. So with this, it's part generosity and part a statement of where we're at.

SUN: So instead of a live album, you'll be filming for a DVD in Vancouver?

MARTIN: No, not for a DVD. Just for the annals of time.

SUN: Just to sit and watch in your basement?

MARTIN: When I'm old, maybe.

SUN: So what comes after this? A long break?

MARTIN: There are no breaks. We'll go right back into something. I can tell you that we're fired up and approaching the wrong side of 32 and we feel very hungry in a musical sense. And where we come from, everyone is always held up against The Beatles. And everyone falls short. So we feel like we have to keep trying to improve. So we might take a couple of weeks just to do some laundry, but then we'll see. I don't think what we do next will be a big extravaganza. But it will be something good.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/C/...18076-sun.html

Kenton's Infotainment Scan

coldPlay_08.jpg

Kenton Larsen sez: "Get infoedutainmentificationalized!". ...

Ten things that crossed my mind during last night's Coldplay concert at MTS Centre:

1. I sure hope the Winnipeg Free Press doesn't use the headline, "Coldplay's performance is hot, hot, hot." :laugh3:

2. Not that I'm going to, but where would one buy a Che Guevara meets Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band meets Police-era Synchronicity outfit in Winnipeg?

3. Where are Gwyneth and Apple?

4. Confetti cannons, beach balls, and the wave never get old.

5. What was all yellow?

6. Coldplay sure sounds a lot like U2. And move around the stage like U2. And sing, "I'm a Believer," like U2 did at the PopMart Tour. Wait a sec - it is U2!

7. How does Caramilk get the caramel into the chocolate?

8. A concert attendee on the floor uses a cell phone to call a concert attendee in the nosebleed seats. They wave until they see each other. They get excited. They wave some more. This must be stopped.

9. Whatever happened to that giant, smiling, arena-sized portrait of the Queen?

10. When are they going to sing, "Livin' La Vida Loca?"

http://kentonsinfotainmentscan.blogspot.com

#6 - Can Bono still move that fast? :thinking:

awesome :D thanks for the setlist & reviews guys

and big thanks to our new Wiki contributors who did a great job last night and had started the page before Ian & I got up!! :D

No worries Jen :D

It's a sign I spend waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time online :uhoh:

Umm.. nope, i was in one spot (Floor, Row 14) besides going to the end of the runway where CM was. My camera is a few years old actually, no space age equipment here! It's a Canon Powershot S5 IS with the CHDK hack applied to it. You can learn more about the hack by googling "CHDK Canon Hack" or something. The camera itself has a 12x optical zoom.

The hack allows me to take pictures in RAW format and I did some post-processing in Photoshop to give the photos more character.

:dizzy: That's amazing :stunned:

SUN: Have you shared this with a therapist?

MARTIN: Not with a therapist, but with Jonny (Buckland) our guitarist. He's the next best thing. That's his role.

Man love :love:

I was just reading the review for I Love You, Man and I was thinking how the movie is so applicable to Chris and Jonny :laugh3:

A little flashback...

Soooo..... concert #5 was as amazing as the first four!! Yesterday's show at the MTS center will have people talking about it for ages!

Got to the venue JUST before Coldplay came out, cutting it a little close! Seats were directly across from the stage in section 127, right behind the floor. The first few notes of "Life in Technicolor" sounded, and I just started BAWLING!! It's a totally different experience seeing your favorite band playing in your hometown! Cried throughout the entire uplifting first song!

All songs were performed so perfectly by all 4 guys, the energy was amazing! The crowd did not stop screaming, and Chris threw in MANY mentions about Winnipeg! My favorite was when he mentioned "Friendly Manitoba" (as per our unofficial logo) :)

BEST PART though, was when they walked into the back of the arena, RIGHT INTO MY SECTION. Literally, two rows away!!! I was mindblown, and thanking my lucky stars!!! Pictures I took were incredible, and I made eye contact with Johnny, about 10 seconds. They performed a cute little song pretty much all about Winnipeg with a reference to the Jets, I hope someone out there has a good version of that, I'd like to hear it again! I didn't stop smiling the entire time they were standing in front of me!! A dream come true!!

The rainbow butterfly confetti was beautiful, the yellow balloons were uplifting, the rock outs by the band during some of the songs were intense! I'm not going to share any of my videos though, out of sheer embarassment of me screaming throughout the entire video, or my singing along, sometimes off-key LOL!

I thought that playing Life in Technicolor II was an EXCELLENT option for the closing song! You just can't go wrong with playing such an uplifiting song to end the show!

After it ended, I ran to the barricade between the first bowl and the floor, and asked the security guy to let me through so I could pick up some butterflies. He was going to, but another security guard stopped him and wouldn't let me through. Got into a little argument with her about how rude she was being, definately a mood spoiler! So just for everyone's info, good luck with trying to get your butterflies if not on the floor! Security might be a bitch and not allow you to pass!

Leaving the arena, someone started singing the beginning "oooo"s of "Viva La Vida", which prompted a crowd singalong from everone leaving. I love a great crowd that shows their happiness! Winnipeg rocks!

As for the free CD, there were volunteers at every exit handing them out, and the crowd wasn't a problem, everyone just waited for their turn to pass through, and were handed a CD. It didn't seem like they were running out anytime soon! So it was an easy process to get the CD!

Upset though that they didn't sing "Speed of Sound"!!! I wanted to surprise myself so I didn't read any of the setlists from previous shows, so that was a little bit sad for me! And I would just love love LOVE for them to sing "Yes" at one of the shows. I wish!!!!! On the other hand, I'm a teeny bit glad they didn't do "Chinese Sleep Chant" :P I'm sorry!!

I work at the airport, and although I didn't see them or know when they were coming in or out, I heard today from one of the airplane fuelers that they arrived in Winnipeg around 4pm yesterday, and left just after 11pm, right after the show through a smaller private building that isn't connected to the main airport. He heard that they were still sweaty from the concert, since they literally jumped into the car and drove straight to the airport as soon as the show ended. And apparently one of the guys had his shirt off while boarding the plane ;) So the band stayed a little over 7 hours in my little city hahaha!

All in all, a terrific, TERRIFIC concert! The men of Coldplay pulled off an AMAZING show that everyone in the crowd, I'm sure, was throughly pleased with!I cannot wait to see them again in Toronto in July!! Will post a few of my better pictures right away!

:)Thanks for your review! And yay, Coldplay karma struck you too- two rows away!

But PLEASE dont be too shy to post your vids, we all love to see everyones, screams and all! It just is cute to hear your excitement! We have ALL , well, lots of us-been there.;)

Freakin AWESOME show!

The best crowd I've seen (and heard) out of the shows I've been to so far!

I loved the part on C stage during I'm a Believer when Chris asked Will, Guy and Jonny "Are you in love?" and Jonny's resonse "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm". :D

I have extra butterflies for anyone who didn't manage to get any.

I'm now going threw Coldplay withdrawl and trying to figure out where I can see them next! :D :o

Oh and I almost forgot, I managed to get a setlist too!

After the show I was chatting with my friends on the floor and security started ushering us outta there (they were rather rude). I was so busy yapping I forgot to try to get a setlist! :o

Then I remebered reading somewhere on the website that the sound mix booth usually has one...

I went up to the booth and asked the cute guy if he by any chance had one left, and he said "actually I still do, I've been waiting for someone to ask for it!". :D

That was the icing on top of the cake!

I was so caught up with the setlist I totally forgot about the LRLRL give away, what a perfect night!

*sigh*

TELL ME about the withdrawal!!!!!!!! I am actually contemplating booking a flight to Vancouver this Saturday for $550, buying 2 tickets to both shows there this weekend, and calling in sick to work 3 days to see the shows. In my dreams though!! That would be so perfect!

Did you not get a CD Jen??

I am trying to upload some photos on Flickr, but it only allows me a certain amount. Any other websites you guys can suggest where I can upload any amount?

I'll think about posting up the videos ;)

Oh and I almost forgot, I managed to get a setlist too!

After the show I was chatting with my friends on the floor and security started ushering us outta there (they were rather rude). I was so busy yapping I forgot to try to get a setlist! :o

Then I remebered reading somewhere on the website that the sound mix booth usually has one...

I went up to the booth and asked the cute guy if he by any chance had one left, and he said "actually I still do, I've been waiting for someone to ask for it!". :D

That was the icing on top the cake!

I was so caught up with the setlist I totally forgot about the LRLRL give away, what a perfect night!

*sigh*

yes! :thumbsup:WAY TO WHIP A SOUNDMAN!:deal2::whip:

TELL ME about the withdrawal!!!!!!!! I am actually contemplating booking a flight to Vancouver this Saturday for $550, buying 2 tickets to both shows there this weekend, and calling in sick to work 3 days to see the shows. In my dreams though!! That would be so perfect!

Did you not get a CD Jen??

I am trying to upload some photos on Flickr, but it only allows me a certain amount. Any other websites you guys can suggest where I can upload any amount?

I'll think about posting up the videos ;)

Yes I did get a CD, I just totally forgot about the give away until the girl handed me the cd as we were leaving, lol!

I had already thought about going to Vancouver as well! Unfortunately, so little time and so little money... :(

Upbeat openers the Howling Bells from New Zealand had some nice moments with their infectious indie-pop, including playing "Blessed Night," a catchy song that I did not realize was theirs, that I have heard when I randomly play music on one of my computers at the office. I'd lke to see headline a smaller venue, as the cavernous MTS Centre seemed too large for them to really connect with the audience, who were largely unfamiliar with their material.

Glasgow, Scottland's Snow Patrol sold out Winnipeg's Burton Cummings Theatre (capacity 1646) in April of 2007, without being a widely recognized band. Clearly, they have a larger following than I expected, based on the audience response to their romantic indie-pop songs, which are not too far removed from what Coldplay offer up. They really caught my attention with their urgent, anthemic, U2-esque sound. I can only see these guys getting bigger. Lead singer Gary Lightbody (1976) performed with confidence, sang beautifully, and won over new fans. The band are touring in support of their 2008 album, A Hundred Million Suns.

It was pretty obvious that Coldplay were going to incorporate some backing music to flesh out the exotic sound of some of their material, such as the opening number "Life In Technicolor," from last year's Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends. Released in May, 2008, Coldplay's fourth studio album was the number one selling album in the US (over 2 million) and internationally (7.8 million) and it debuted at number one in 36 countries. It's also the most paid-for downloaded album of all time, with over 700,000 downloads to date and counting (statistics courtesy of Wikipedia.)

Early in the show, the burst into Yellow, one of their first hits from their debut album, Parachutes (2000, 4 million sold.) As the first few notes rang out, members of the road crew walked into the floor area, bearing large yellow balloons, some much larger than beach balls. The fans proceeded to knock them around the floor and stage, but nothing made it into most of the stands. Occasionally, a balloon would burst, spraying yellow confetti. By the time the next song rolled around, only a couple of the yellow orbs were left. The 2005 album X&Y sold over 8 million copies, but was seen as their weakest effort. Still, it was heart-warming to hear so many sing along to the ballad "Fix Me," the only track performed from this recording.

Coldplay could have played it safe, but despite having a bevy of commercial pop songs, they served up songs that were quite quirky in nature and not exactly hit single material, like the moody "Cemeteries of London," the tabla-accented "Lost!," and the atmospheric "Death And All His Friends.". They played every track from the new album, save for "Yes." Of course, it was all eagerly consumed by the crowd who went nuts for all their antics. Lead singer Chris Martin ran around the stage and sang at the same time, without huffing and puffing. At one point, he ran down one of the two ramps that jutted out either side of the stage and lept to the very edge, seemingly defying the law of physics as his momentum should have sent him sailing into the audience on the floor. I couldn't help but turn to my friend and crack a big smile.

The end of the ramp near me served as a mini-stage from which all four members huddled onto the illuminated tiles and played a few tunes, to the absolute shock and delight of the fans who crowded around. There was more. Well into the show, each member briskly walked off the left side of the stage and made a bee line for the back of the floor. From there, they walked up a few rows at the very back of the 100 section and proceeded to play a few unplugged songs. It was all captured for everyone to see on the huge video screens, which were suspended over center ice, roughly. Why at that location and not just over the first few rows near the front of the stage like most bands do? More on that later. The screens showed everyone just how giddy with delight the surrounding fans were, who had purchased some of the less desirable seats in the house, but not with Coldplay just inches away. From this unlikely spot, they performed the Monkees' classic "I'm A Believer," before some more audience participation. Chris Martin asked everyone to turn on and hold up their cell phone. When the audience complied, it was looking into a galaxy of stars. He then asked everyone to hold them to their sides, to hide their lights, and then asked that one section begin to hold theirs up and put them down again, causing the first "Mexican wave" at the MTS Centre. For several minutes, fans played along and the result was an unusual but spectacular.

I really wanted to hear their other night song from Parachutes, "Shiver," which I have recorded onto many mixed CDs for friends, to introduce them what I considered to be great but lesser-known indie pop songs. They may have had indie pop roots, but for a few years now, Coldplay are clearly part of the mainstream, with their fourth album probably outselling even the latest U2 offering. Martin referred to Winnipeg and Manitoba in some songs and rantings, like acknowledging that they were supposed to play here about a year ago, and mentioning the Jets (who became the Phoenix Coyotes) to great applause. Even the lead singer of Howling Bells referred to a few things that makes Winnipeg renown, such as being the Slurpee capital of the world and being the home of the Crash Test Dummies (interesting Neil Young and the Guess Who weren't mentioned.)

It was a four-hour event. During the prelude to the two-song encore, Chris Martin asked us to remember a few things, including to download the song "Nightingale" by Howling Bells and to pick up a free copy of their new 9-track live album on the way out of the MTS Centre, LeftRightLeftRightLeft,which is also available as a free download from the band's website. Why have the screens at centre ice, roughly? I believe it was so that the fans at the side and sitting behind the stage, could look up and see the show, even though the band had their backs to them most of the time. You could see the video feed on the screens from both front or behind the screens. Bravo Coldplay for caring about those fans. This was the fastest-selling concert in MTS Centre history (8 minutes), and for the first time in a long time, I wasn't able to score floor seats.

http://blogcritics.org