✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

4-Jun-2009: Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA

I took some videos and will "try" to upload them later tonight. I know how to do pics, but need to figure out the video thing...

I don't kow if I would consider them "quality", I'm not a professional.

I have a number of songs that are complete.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482
Hi Everyone! I drove four hours from Northeast Ohio to go to the concert with some cousins and a friend yesterday and just got back.

I have a lot of videos of the concert -- albeit not up close, but the AUDIO is very good -- sorry if I sang along in a lot of spots.

Now, I will say this, we got there at about 7ish. I went to the Cleveland show in the fall and was blown away as always (my third show overall was Cincy) having had a seat next to the left catwalk.

So to spare you, I split my review into two sections:

RIVERBEND REVIEW:

This concert I settled for lawn seats because I didn't want to force my cousins to pay too much either -- but I kind of regretted that decision.

Riverbend is a cool facility but we had to stand along the right railing (where pavilion ticket holders enter) for over four hours because the lawn was shielded by these enormously large rail/pillar/support things. Stupidest design ever -- kills a lot of views.

Also, we sat at a standstill at the end of the concert in the parking lot from 11:00pm until 12:10am before we got out of there.

You'd think the people who run Riverbend would have figured it out by now...

Finally, there were a lot of drunk and overly drunk people there and also waay too much cigarette smoke but that's not necessarily Riverbend's fault. I saw one guy who had to be taken out in a wheel chair because he was so drunk -- and the concert hadn't even started.

One final complaint. The crowd tonight at first seemed to be pretty lackluster -- for example, I was EXTREMELY disappointed that there was no Cell phone glowsticks during the Viva La Vida Remix -- even quiet ol' Cleveland did that. It was as if the crowd lived under rock because they even had video playing on the stage during that time with glowsticks being waved...

But, in the end, they redeemed themselves when we all started doing the Viva la Vida chant for the bands final Encore.

I honestly was fooled and thought they were done, but BOY did we chant.

------------------

Coldplay:

I was really excited for the show because I had seen them in Cleveland in the fall and knew that I could appreciate it more this time and even look for a few surprises.

They really did not disappoint. I was really excited to see Glass of Water make an appearance as well as The Neil Diamond cover... Chris seemed extremely playful tonight and I noticed that he was changing a lot of the lyrics in the songs (either on purpose or just forgetting).

At one point he said, "Someone told me the Cardinals beat the Reds -- but I don't know what the f--- that means..."

Pretty classic Chris right there.

I don't know why, but this night really grew on me. At first I felt disappointed in Cincinnati -- like we were letting Chris down, but at the end when he complimented us, it was really redeeming and felt good.

It was also different for me because I feel like I worked just as hard as the band. I stood for three plus hours -- cheered and sang my head off and was hanging on every word. So everytime he gave us props out on the lawn -- I really appreciated it.

Coldplay continues to put on the best show in the industry and it helps that they are a BRILLIANT band with a KILLER line-up.

I think I saw that guy in the wheelchair!! was he coming up the left side??

Yeah, I HATE lawn seats! I felt SOOO bad for my mom, cause she volunteered for Oxfam and got to be on the lawn and apparently someone knocked her over. It's a very good thing I wasn't there to see it, because then there'd be another person in a wheelchair and I'd be thrown out and miss the show!

I don't think I'll ever get lawn seats again either. You're right, TOO much alcohol and weed/cigarette smoke (do they cut off alcohol sales at a certain point?)

Hello there! Been awhile since I've posted 'round here. Lovely to see some familiar faces from when the album was dropping :)

Anywhooo, I was at the concert last night. Lawn seats. RIGHT in front of the acoustic set.

I attended the Cleveland show last fall and, aside from this show being better in some ways, the boys absolutely made my night when they showed up on the lawn to play for us.

And they played Green Eyes during the set. Amazing.

As for the rest of the show, the whole band was phenomenal. Chris was bouncing around like a mad man. He only played a few sour notes, but made up for it with The Hardest Part and Post Cards, both played beautifully. I can't remember exactly which song it was, but at the end of it he hit this ridiculously loud and straining high note that was held for at least 10-15 seconds. And then collapsed over the keys. The man is incredible. Will's drumming was perfect and powerful (especially on Yellow, the tempo speed-up was awesome). Jonny was adding some KILLER improv to his big guitar riffs, definitely more stand-out than the Cleveland show. And Guy was pretty much the only sane one on stage haha. During "I'm A Believer" Chris had a little crowd-involved section where he was asking everyone if they were in love. So when he gets to Guy he goes, "Guy Berryman, the only memeber of Coldplay most likely to be in a boy band, are you in love?" haha and of course we all lost it...

The crowd was actually A LOT better than I had anticipated, minus a couple let downs. Viva's "oh oo oh oh ohhh" part was freakin' killer. My only bummer was that we couldn't get the cell phone arm swaying going durning the VLV techno mix! It was so cool at Quicken Loans arena, like dancing stars...

And then of course only like three people around me joined in on Green Eyes last night so I don't know whether to feel proud of that or bummed that almost NO ONE got excited about that song haha :smug:

Here are some crappy cell phone pictures! When my room mate gets his REAL pictures online I'll be sure to send them this way :cool:

4435_1159574356703_1448100043_439307_3616611_n.jpg

n1448100043_439315_6181827.jpg

4435_1159579356828_1448100043_439312_110768_n.jpg

4435_1159578716812_1448100043_439311_1462479_n.jpg

4435_1159578516807_1448100043_439310_223354_n.jpg

You're right, TOO much alcohol and weed/cigarette smoke (do they cut off alcohol sales at a certain point?)

Agreed. I got beer spilled on my head haha...

But getting a Coldplay acoustic set played right in front of me for about $40 was definitely worth dealing with the sketchy lawn environment.

Coldplay Pull Out Every Trick In the Rock Closet For Viva La Vida Tour

CINCINNATI — At some point during Coldplay’s nearly two-hour show at the Riverbend Amphitheater last night, I had a dream. It went something like this: I was walking around the luxurious London flat that is home to singer Chris Martin and his wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, and while flipping through the various yoga journals, costume-fabric swatch samples and discarded baby-name books piled on the couple’s nightstands, I spotted a most unusual binder.

On the cover were the words “Rock Star Stage Materials Inc.,” and it was stuffed with page after page of every cool, whiz-bang thing a world-beating superstar could want for his band’s tour. And then I woke up and realized that, economic downturn be damned, Martin had totally folded down just about every page in the catalog for the Viva la Vida outing. Coldplay have never shied away from admitting they are going for the big brass rock ring owned by U2, and their live show on this tour is definitive proof.

While drummer Will Champion and bassist Guy Berryman appear to have mostly abandoned the album’s signature Civil War-meets-Sgt. Pepper’s ragbag uniforms, Martin and his “best friend” (he said it at least twice), guitarist Jonny Buckland, were still rocking the candy-colored striped jackets as the band marched out onstage waving giant sparklers to start the show.

coldplay_500.jpg

And when Martin sat down at the piano to bang out the indelible lead line of “Clocks,” out came the red spinning laser lights and smoke. Two songs later, giant yellow balloons bounced around the pavilion, several of which Martin lanced with the headpiece of his acoustic guitar, sending a shower of confetti on the folks in the expensive seats down front.

During “Glass of Water,” five humongous orbs descended from the ceiling at different heights, with swirly psychedelic patterns dancing across their faces.

Over the course of the next few songs, the orbs flashed alternately moody black-and-white and trippy blurred images of the band as they played the anthemic twofer of “Fix You” and “Strawberry Swing,” on which Buckland busted out his best Edge-like guitar tricks.

It was during the latter that one of the coolest custom light rigs I’ve ever seen descended from the rafters, an undulating pair of metal waves tricked out with high-end Intellibeam stage lights, which swept over Martin as he did his ragdoll stage dance.

What’s a big show without a satellite stage in the middle of the crowd? For a Peter Bjorn and John-meets-Depeche Mode techno-synth remix of “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face,” the quartet squeezed onto a tiny stage in the crowd. They soon ran back to the main floor and segued into a triumphant “Viva la Vida,” with Champion banging on a giant bell and kettle drum as that song, too, was turned into a techno-lite rave-up.

Martin donned a giant Chinese dragon costume for part of “Lost!,” and the band schlepped out to yet another satellite stage for a folky acoustic set on the edge of the lawn that included a strummy “Green Eyes,” a rare lead vocal from Champion on “Death Will Never Conquer” and an unplugged, spirited cover of the Monkees’ “I’m a Believer.”

Then it was back to the main stage again, where the wide-screen rocker “Lovers in Japan” was amped up about 50 notches thanks to several rain showers of tens of thousands of neon paper butterflies that fluttered down over the crowd with mesmerizing effect.

Yes, tickets for the show were pretty pricey, but between the free live CD, Left Right Left Right Left, that everyone got on the way out and the over-the-top spectacle, it didn’t sound like anyone was complaining.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/06/05/coldplay-pull-out-every-trick-in-the-rock-closet-for-viva-la-vida-tour/

Here's my review:

What an amazing night! I got there around 6:30, but was extremely frustrated to learn that the lawn chairs had to be a certain height (I had lawn seats.) Me and my friend had to walk back to our car, and get something to put on the ground. That was the only negative thing about the night, though; we got inside around 6:45, and I bought drinks and a t-shirt.

I was really impressed with the Howling Bells. I had never heard their music before (or Pete Yorn), but I've since bought both their albums. They remind me a little of Radiohead, although with a female vocalist.

Pete Yorn...yawn. Sorry Pete Yorn fans, I was completely unimpressed with this act. I didn't like it at all, and I was waiting for it to be over so Coldplay could go on.

Coldplay started around 9, and at first I didn't realize they were starting, until the crowd started to cheer. Life in Technicolor was a fantastic opener, and I was completely blown away by Violet Hill and Glass Of Water. I really loved the version of God Put A Smile On Your Face that they did, I've never heard it done that way before, and I thought the strobe lights effects were really cool.

The best part of the night was when the band came out on the lawn, and did a short acoustic set. I was having trouble seeing them before, but when they came up it was like I was sitting in the regular seats. The boyband and 'are you in love' parts cracked me up, and I loved it when Chris started the cell phone wave (that I participated in, too.)

I was really grateful that Chris acknowledged Cincinnati at the end, plus he dropped so many parts into songs about Cincinnati. I was just expecting one or two, but he did it quite a few times (like someone else said, I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.) The high note he held at the end of one of the songs was incredible! For a second, he seemed out of breath, and then he belted that note out.

I also thought the other people in the crowd were great. There was a bit too much drinking (I saw this older woman, in her 50s, falling down drunk a few feet up from me), but overall everyone participated and was enthusiastic. I sort of wish I had been up in the front, though, when they dropped all those butterflies.

Last night just proved to me how nice all of the band members are (even my friend, who didn't know much about Coldplay before last night, said that they seemed like a bunch of nice guys), and reaffirmed why Coldplay is the best band in the world right now. Last night was my first concert, but I can't wait to see them live again.

here are the first 2. I've got a few more that I will upload as well.

Fix You:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6CerNgc-Uc]YouTube - Fix you[/ame]

Clocks:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xyJ9UpkqB8]YouTube - Clocks[/ame]

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Coldplay Concert Recap

THE GOOD

The concert was kick ass for lack of a better description. Though my husband and I agree we liked the venue in Kansas City, where we first saw Colplay, much better, it was fun to be back in familiar territory at Riverbend Music Center. My husband and I have been here many times over the years for a variety of concerts - all day music festivals like Lollapalooza and Lilith Fair; the Cincinnati Pops and a variety of our other favorite bands.

We have NEVER seen the place as packed as it was last night. To quote a friend who sent me an instant message that said "Are you in the compound yet? Where are you? We are in this cluster fuct of people and the masses! LOL" I was thankful we spent money for Pavillion seats. MG and I chuckled because the pavillion was mostly full of the over 40 crowd and families. We decided that was for two reasons: 1. the old farts can't handle sitting on the ground without a seat back to lean against and 2. the younger crowd can't fork out the $$ for pavillion seats. Two concert tickets for us were well over $200 and we bought the "cheap" seats. Add to that our drinks and six hours of childcare and it adds up to quite a tab. (I realize you east and west coasters are probably thinking we got a great deal, but here in little ol' SW Ohio where the cost of living is good...well, you get the picture!) I can say this, the next time I see them, I will be forking out the money for the even better seats.

There is one thing for sure. Coldplay LOVES to put on a concert. They seem to genuinely have fun and they interact a lot with the fans. They had two different "small" stages set up right IN the crowd. The one was about ten rows in front of us, which was great. The other was out in the lawn with the "cluster fuct of people and the masses." So cool. When we saw them in KC, Chris Martin came right into the audience, almost within touching distance for me and found an empty seat, got up on it and kept right on singing. The fact that he was within touching distance of me and I cannot link you to an article or police report about some crazy fan tackling him to the ground to smother him with kisses is quite an accomplishment for me! I would do him in a minute. For that matter, I would probably do Gwyneth (for anyone unawares, Chris Martin is married to Gwyneth Paltrow) in a minute, too. I kept hoping I would run into her last night.

There were tons of families there. Lots of dads and daughters. And I mean 40-50 something men with their 8-13 year old daughters, not 60 something year old Sugar Daddies with their 20 something babes! I am thankful, though, none of those families sat near us. Lots of moms and sons. The age range for the concert goers literally ranged from about 3 yrs. old to late 60's. I saw a couple of women who really could have been my mother!

There were so many good looking people at this concert. And I saw someone who looked like Wes from The Bachelorette. He was with some blonde hottie, so we can all rest easily knowing that Jillian boots him off the show at some point.

So that's the good.

THE BAD

While there were lots of beautiful people to look at and admire, there is always the other end of the spectrum. My husband and I cracked up when we saw a balding man with a mullet walking around. Really? Don't people know that neither of those hairstyles is attractive and he is combining the two? My husband called it the "combover mullet." After laughing and making jokes, about 15 minutes later that man sat right in front of us with his girlfriend! I could KICK MYSELF for not having my phone with the camera on it. I tried to get the guy next to me to take a picture and e-mail it but by the time he got done taking his own pictures and videos, the combover mullet left. Just picture this with long stringy hair going down the back and add a bald spot at the crown. Oooohhhh.

THE UGLY

We had a blast. Concert over, we get to our car and the parking lot is not moving a bit. So what's one to do while just sitting there in a parking spot that you can't move from? My BFF will know what I am about to type, but for the rest of you, I will tell you. A little hanky panky in the back of the minivan. Stow and go seats were the best thing ever invented for mini-vans. I would have been quite embarrassed to have had to toss the back bench seat out of the back of the van into the parking lot. I'll leave out the details of me trying to find a private spot in the mass of cars to piss. I really needed this.

If you were hoping for a recap of the Howling Bells or Pete Yorn, I can say this. They were both good, though the Howling Bells only played for a 1/2 hour and we missed a good part of it. I don't know a ton about Pete Yorn and am only vaguely familiar with him and his music. He has only been on tour with Colplay for two weeks and last night was his last show. He is probably better to see in a much smaller venue/setting.

http://dailyinfluences.blogspot.com

I don't know about you guys, but I don't understand a concert review talking about a 'combover mullet' and 'a little hanky panky in the back of a minivan' :thinking:

Coldplay's in the 'good' category though, so I'll stop complaining :P

Exactly...expecially the hanky panky part...

When I read that i was like..'wth??' :rolleyes:

Now that I got my sleep from two sleep deprived days due to seeing Coldplay in Cincy and in Indy, I can now give my review. First of all, this was my first Coldplay concert and Oxfam volunteer assignment so I really nervous about the day, but everything went fine. I met some awesome Oxfam folks who were really helpful, especially Lynn.

Anyway, the concert was awesome. Though Oxfam volunteers had to sit in the lawn section it was still worth it. The band was awesome, of course. I was singing along and having one hell of a time. Chris was funny!! I loved his comment about the Cardinals/Reds game and how he didn't know what the fuck that meant. LOL!!

I have to agree with a previous poster that Chris acknowledged Cincy a lot through out the show. I loved it when the band did Violet Hill and he sang that he was sitting in Cincy. That really got the crowd cheering. Of course, the crows went nuts when they sang VLV.

The band's version of GPASOYF was awesome!! That really got folks in my area dancing. Of course, the solo version of The Hardest Part was so beautiful. When Chris was singing that song I literally stopped singing and dancing. I was so mesmerized by the version. It was so emotional and touching that I knew I had to record that song when I was at the Indy concert.

The only things I can complain about have nothing to do with the band. It was the people who got so drunk and passed out. There was a girl who got so drunk that she threw up and passed out right before Coldplay came on. I'm sure her friend, who appeared to be sober, was ticked off. Then I saw another girl being dragged away because she had gotten so drunk that she passed out. One thing for sure, you could tell which fans were the true fans and which ones were just acquainted with Coldplay.

Oh...I did get some pics. I got a good one of Chris on the ground. Since the pics are on another computer at the moment, I will have to post them later.