✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"A Message" is beautiful.

getithom

"A Message" is one of those songs I couldn't stand at first - likely because of the cheesy lyrics (even for Coldplay) - but it's grown on me. It's simple and pretty and good to listen to when I need to perk myself up. The Hope for Haiti version was good, but I didn't like how much it was sped up, so the X&Y version reigns superior for me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, that's cool !! :laugh3:

I tried to do it too, but the first time I took a plane (a month ago) the rules were no music or anything during the take-off and landing, and during the flight the plane was too noisy for my headphones. But one day I'll try to do it anyway :lol:

Well, obviously not during takeoff, but once in the air. And it was night over New York City :wacky: That's just one of those perfect moments in ones life.

I notice a lot of hate towards this song. Why?
What? :wtf:

I really love the song. I think it's really beautiful. :wacky: I don't think it's about God though. But that's probably me being the atheist I am.

It's a really honest and good expression of love in my opinion. :)

The lyrics are brilliant. So is the melody. I love the multiple acoustic guitars (:wacky:), the bass-line, Chris's vocals on it, the electrical guitar that goes round in stereo in the verse...etc. :nice:

One of the best songs on X&Y.

About X&Y (off-topic!): It was the first album I got from Coldplay in 2006. I didn't know Coldplay then. At the time I really liked it, but was a bit disappointed, because it wasn't like Speed of Sound. I got really into it, but then got a bit bored of it after some time.

The love for the album came back though, as I grew older and became a Coldplay fan.

Today, knowing their whole (and loving most of their) back catalogue, it's my least favourite album of them, I think. (Not saying I don't like it, I really really like it!) It's probably because it's, as an album, a bit too long and I find the melodies and songs a bit more melodic or moving on the other albums. Maybe I'm just not so much into the kind of space-feeling of the album as I am to the other albums.

I've always been a fan of that song. A shame they never really played it live all that much. I think it's solid all around.

Funny how some are bringing up the X&Y debate again while discussing this song. My brother's actually a huge fan of the band himself, and he didn't really think too highly of X&Y when it came out, but he really liked A Message. I even recall us on a car ride in Texas five years ago during the summertime, and he was singing along with it.

Weirdly enough, he told me not too long ago that he actually grew to like X&Y a little more since it came out. I know he wasn't big on the last album, aside from Life in Technicolor and Lovers in Japan.

I've always been a fan of that song. A shame they never really played it live all that much. I think it's solid all around.

Funny how some are bringing up the X&Y debate again while discussing this song. My brother's actually a huge fan of the band himself, and he didn't really think too highly of X&Y when it came out, but he really liked A Message. I even recall us on a car ride in Texas five years ago during the summertime, and he was singing along with it.

Weirdly enough, he told me not too long ago that he actually grew to like X&Y a little more since it came out. I know he wasn't big on the last album, aside from Life in Technicolor and Lovers in Japan.

Those are from Viva.

Ahh, I love A Message...makes me cry every time, it's just so beautiful. It's one of those songs that make me feel like Chris is singing to me when I hear it. :wacky:

I don't really understand all this X&Y bashing. No, it's not their best album, but it's still very well-made, with several unforgettable tracks. It will always have a special place in my heart for being the album that made me fall in love with Coldplay, after hearing Clocks one day on the radio.

In retrospect, I'm glad that it sounds so different from their previous albums. It is evidence of their versatility as artists.

I've never understood the hatred towards X&Y, either.

I would agree with this wholeheartedly. While I liked Coldplay before it, I had never really had the resources to get really into them (ie I was a poor kid and too young to work for my own money lol) but X&Y was what began my obsession. I just remember listening to Swallowed in the Sea, A Message, Til Kingdom Come and of course, Fix You...how can people hate something from which so many great tracks came?

Also, in regards to the song itself, I actually was never really into A Message until a few months ago. I don't know what it was, I guess I finally really listened to it all, and it was just...wonderful. It's def now in my top 5...altho i find it hard to organize my top 30 fave coldplay songs :/ lol

ok two things,

I dont see how a message has a "space" vibe? i can understand that the rest of the album does but a message? I thought by space vibe you meant less instruments and more emptiness like chris says on the intro of the live leak video?

Anyway....I think a message stands out on X&Y because of that very reason, its emptier and that is the classic coldplay sound. Its a fantastic song, i love the drums, the rhythm, the melody, everything.

^You're an arrogant fan.

THE WHOLE ALBUM HAS A SPACE VIBE NOT THE SONG ITSELF. OR WHAT'S BETTER FOR YOU? MOST OF THE SONGS?

No wonder why I never come to this section.

BAI.

WTF are you talking about? please explain what i have said that is arrogant?

EDIT i just read your original comment again, i didnt realise you were talking about X&Y as an album, i thought you were talking about a message but still, no need to get so uptight or be rude, and even if i had realised you were talking about X&Y that wouldnt make me arrogant, it would make me pernickety, like you...

Shouldn't you be called X&Y Child then? :P After all, you're made of chromosomes.

haha yes :lol:

well.... i just like the ring to the user name i have

x and y is my favorite

parachutes is the first i ever heard them

but i like the sound of "Viva Child" tho

*shrugs :)

WTF are you talking about? please explain what i have said that is arrogant?

EDIT i just read your original comment again, i didnt realise you were talking about X&Y as an album, i thought you were talking about a message but still, no need to get so uptight or be rude, and even if i had realised you were talking about X&Y that wouldnt make me arrogant, it would make me pernickety, like you...

The overreaction was a bit much.