✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Top of the Pops updates

Jenjie

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yeah! We should have started an aerobics session...jumping jacks, everyone!

Haha, we should have totally done that, I think it might have caught on! Do you know what username on here the girl you were with is? Was it Sophie?

At the next Coldplay event I would love to meet up with more people from here and chat!

Firstly, Hi All! Long time fan and Coldplaying follower, first time poster ;)

As far as I know he had tourettes (or at least that was the rumour circulating at the mid section where I was stood!) He kept doing a kind of neck twitch which is quite common with tourettes sufferers trying to control ticks (Spelling?!).

It was a truly amazing experiance there today. I arrived about 11am and stood somewhere in the middle of the queue freezing! I was number 129.

The guy on stage warming the crowd up was brilliant and had a good laugh with the crowd but Chris was his usual cheeky self stealing the show. His mention of the Christmas Lights shoot being "an orgy of drink, drugs and spice girls" was brilliant!

Intimate isn't really the word for it. Perhaps 'private' show? When else can a true fan watch their idols play 2 foot in front of them? None of them seemed too shy either which can sometimes happen. I vaguely remember Chris watch me belting out part of the second chorus with a grin, might have made a prat of myself on TV!

I've got a few pics from where I was stood but they're not particularly brilliant. Some direct links below:

Edit after trying to post! - Apparently I can't yet post links as it's my first post >.< Will try and find a way to let you all see them!

And one of me by the Piano :D

Edit - As above!

I must also confess that I hit the record button on my iPhone and have a fairly good recording of all 3 performances.

However, out or respect for the band, TOTP and everyone else, I won't upload it at least until it airs (I'm sure the band would rather people see and importantly hear the finished product and not a lowish quality 'bootleg'!) and, although I have it, I'm considering not uploading it at all.

Obv first time poster so feel free to say what you wish. I'm happy to upload it after it airs if anyone's interested in how the show worked or what Chris was saying in between takes! However, if the general mood amongst other fans on here is that it should stay private them I'm happy to oblige. I'm a fan of Coldplay and would want to respect them more than anything.

I'm not 100% on where others stand on this I must be honest so please let me know :)

Dan

TWTR: huds601

Thanks Dan for your share now and what you save for later, good style;)

just one question, Where did you saved so many techy devices?:D

For anyone interested, I've listened back to the recording and have put together a rough dialogue of what happened in the studio. It starts from when the bloke on stage (I'm gonna call him the warm-up guy, or WUG for short) is talking about the 'snow machine'...

WUG: So where's the snow machine? Ok... so we just need to keep our lovely audience away form the uh... SFX snow machine. Is that you *pointing*, is that your job there?

Snow Machine operator: Yeah

WUG: Yeah. Ok yeah that's it perfect. Now we're good. So when you're happy sir, at your word... seconds away, brilliant. Ok, thanks very much. So uh... yeah... you'll be fine you lot. Don't worry about it, you're all top of the pops virgins. I can't believe only one person's been to TOTP before and that's you 20 years ago *points*. Who was on?

Guy: OMD (?)

WUG: OMD?!

*Audience Laughs*

WUG: Bloody hell! My Mum used to like them! Um ok so... just seconds away ladies and gents, just waiting for the last couple of adjustments. Kev, are you happy on crane now sir? You good, yeah? Brilliant. And uh, as I said before ladies and gents we'll be doing a live link in and a live link out with Fearne and Reggie who I will introduce you to in a second. I think Fearne's on her way in a taxi-bike at the moment, she'll be here any second. Happy happy.

*silence*

WUG: So listen up ladies and gents, what we're going to do is.. a slight delay on Fearne and Reggie, but what we're gonna do is first.. pass... with uh... with Coldplay and I think we're just about ready to meet the guys. Ladies and genst please go absolutely (something)... it's Coldplay!

*About 1 min of clapping, whooping and the like!*

CM: How you doing? How you doing?

WUG: So audience, you cannot forget your bit on this, do not let me down, we've tested it with the track, without the track, you're better with the track obviously...

CM: *Inaudible - Asking JB about the pitch for the 'Whoooooaaa' bit at the end and then practices a little*

WUG: ...and big hands up in the chorus would be fantastic, well, right thr way through if you fancy it.

CM: Is that the right line? Whooaaa *practices then turns to crowd*. Hi everybody, thanks for coming. *More applause!*. I know uh, you alright if we do... cos the point of this song is it's sh*t until you all sing your bit, and that's what's going to send it all the way up to number 36 in the charts!

*Laughs*

CM: Which is, as you know, our favourite position! Can we try it one more time Jon... *tests pitch* Is that what it is? I'm not really the singer type...

*Laughs*

CM: I'm not going to bootcamp. *Sings 'Whoooaa' away from mic* If we try it together, is that alright? So you know, we've been in the studio a long time so we've gone all shy, we're a little gun(?) shy at the moment, so this is really going to make us feel good. We'll do it on three, ready? One. Two. Three.

*Audience sings with CM*

CM: That's f*cking lovely!

*Laughs, whoops and cheers*

CM: Tremendous. Where have you come from then? Where have you come from?

WUG: Lets hear it for Fearne and Reggie!

RY: Hello you lot, you alright? Feeling good? Happy Christmas and Happy New Year!

FC: I'm having a right polava of a day I am! I, up until about 30 seconds ago, didn't have any shoes or a bra! I'm ok now.

RY: So I leant her mine and now... everybody wins!

WUG: Just get that thought out of my head. Just get that thought out of my head. Just get that thought out of my head... Just get it back in. Just get it back in.

RY: *Practicing* And we're back at TOTP

WUG: Ok so they're just lining up the opening shot there ladies and gents. What we'll do again is start with a huge burst of applause, if you could dip it down a touch for Fearne and Reggie's link, then the announcement into Coldplay and uh... well I know what you're going to do, so do you! Ok, standby audience...

*Applause and CL first take. The a bit of banter between the audience and Fearne and Reggie about X-Factor and who might be Xmas number 1*

RY: *Asking Chris* Who do you think should win it?

CM: Ask Guy, he's the expert.

RY: Who do you think should win?

GB: Um... I think Rebecca should win.

RY: She's so hot!

CM: I thought Gamu. I'm not joking we thought she was the best. Does anyone... noone agrees with me. *silence*.. Huh... killed it with that comment! Alright then, One Direction, lets f*cking have them instead of Gamu. Honestly, the British public, I'll tell you a few things...

*Laughs*

CM: Shall I tell you what I really think. Your singing was brilliant for that. *Looking at member of audience* We're you in the video for that? Oh excellent. So the rest of you will have no idea what I'm talking about! We had a video, it was like a big orgy, loads of drugs... and some of the uh.. spice girls.

*Introducing Phil*

CM: This is Phil by the way who runs our band.

WUG: So ladies and gents, we will go one more time. you were great on that, (Could be better!).

CM: It's nice to be in front of people again. We've been in the studio for so long we forget that anybody exists.

*Looks to floor manager, pretending to be annoyed*

CM: Same song again? Ugh... Don't play...

WUG: Can we get some audiences to go behind our Elvis' if that's be ok? Just, peel a few of the audience off. That's be lovely, thanks very much. Just bear in mind that, all of you guys are in shot there and you're not doing much, with the greatest of respect, until we cut to Elvis. That'll be fine there, thanks for that. Ok, so once again will do the opening link and then we'll do a closer and well so you know what to do, fantastic. Ok, so if we can hold back on the photography, we're just about to start shooting, thank you very much indeed. Ok, stand by ladies and gents of the audience.

CM: *To a fan* Thank you, that was amazing. It was your fault we have to do it again. The singing was too good, made us look too confident(?).

*Applause and CL second take. Fearne does a link for the possible X-Factor number one and the audience boos so the link has to be reshot for "obvious reasons!". Everyone has a bit of a chuckle about it.*

FC: You can clap and boo in your head!

*Redoes link with clapping*

FC: You're all seething inside!

RY: You're a bunch of liars!

WUG: So audience, so now you've rehearsed it a few times you know what you're doing. A bit louder on the Whoa-whoa-whoas ok. Um... so... fine so what we're going to do, we're going to do it a third time, we're going to do it one more time with all of you doing your singing bits and we're going to be able to record that without the noise of pyrotechnics and stuff. Ok, good stuff, thanks very much.

Audience member: I love you (someone?!)!

WUG: So what we're going to do ladies and gents is no link at the top, we'll go from applause straight into Coldplay, if that's ok. But we will be doing a link at the end with an alternative link to number one. So if it's someone you equally hate, please cheer for gods sake! Just keep clapping all the way through! It's really weird when you just stop and start booing. I would have left it in, but that's why I'm doing this and not producing I guess! Just seconds away now, thanks for your patience everyone.

CM: Alot of people say this song is even better on the third listen! So if you think you're getting bored, your brain is tricking you!

*Applause and third take. Coldplay leave the stage and everyone goes home!*

I'll edit out the songs and up the file tomorrow morning for you all if you want a listen. :D

this sounds fun!

It was definitely more about the experience than the music. It was just great to see them having a laugh and chatting with the crowd and joking. I too saw Jonny's face when the photo was handed to him, he looked like he didn't know what to make of it but I'm sure they'll really appreciate it!

LOL. he didn't but as he was leaving I was just glad to get it to him before he left. I didn't have time to open it and show it to him!

Hey All!

Ok, those of you who asked, I've decided to do it tonight as a treat! This is a recording of the studio noise, banter, etc. from today's TOTP session with Coldplay.

An important note: This contains NO music at all. I have left in a couple of the 'links' Fearne and Reggie did as I genuinely believe they won't use them (can't have the audience booing on TV!) so should be fair game. Another link is left in but the audience is so loud you can't hear anything anyway apart from cheering. Should comply with any copyright issues and also hopefully respects Coldplay.

Apologies for the ruffling sound at points, phone was moving around in my back pocket. Overall, not a bad recording!

http://www.filedude.com/download/tTMCs2c1K27ca4897ac0

I'm happy to upload the whole file unedited after the show airs should anyone wish to 'relive' the singing and the atmosphere providing there are no objections.

Have a great evening y'all ;)

Dan

Twitter: @huds601

Edit: Probably should have mentioned, the links were recorded *incase* certain things happened. Noone knows who will be Christmas number 1 and it's not a fix before anyone suggests otherwise (although I'm sure you're all sensible enough to know this already!)

Haha, we should have totally done that, I think it might have caught on! Do you know what username on here the girl you were with is? Was it Sophie?

At the next Coldplay event I would love to meet up with more people from here and chat!

I don't, unfortunately. She said she only joined to find out more about this gig though so she might not have posted, I'm not sure...

Thanks Dan for your share now and what you save for later, good style;)

just one question, Where did you saved so many techy devices?:D

Firstly, you're welcome! However, as you'll see from my prev post, I'm a sucker for pleasing people as the audio's now up (sans music of course!)

Surprisingly, did all of it on my iPhone! Had it recording the audio as a voice memo still while taking the pics etc. so only needed the one device ;)

Was very worried when I got back as the actual file was corrupted on my phone. Kinda helps being a bit of a nerd in that sense as I got it off a different way and ran it through a few programs to recover the audio :)

Feel partly honoured to be mentioned on the Wiki reviews! I'll make sure I pop by more often ;)

LOL yes that was a very funny line about Guy.

It seems fans pick on him as much as Chris (notice how in awkward question interview situation, Chris always deflects them straight to Guy :) )

Yeah I noticed that!

He is a diva! I love him to death, of course, but he's a moody pretty-boy, it has to be said :P

I've never met him, and I do love him, but he is soooo well aware of his handsomeness and acts on it. DIVA!