✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Word Of Music's non-fangirl opinion of "Christmas Lights"

tauiwi

I was wondering. Because people in this World Of Music thread have an appreciation for good music and know the difference between a brilliant song and a shit one.

I'd like to know what people think of Coldplay's "Christmas Lights" from a non-fangirl point of view (why it's posted HERE). Because I know the poll set up in the other section will of course reflect a completely biased result.

My opinion: It's poor. The band has come so far, this seems like lazy songwriting and arrangement for a band that has made the quality of AROBTTH. I hope it's not the direction they take for LP5 because I know they can do better. I think this is just a discard that EMI requested for some extra cash.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well you'll hear my opinion of fangirl

you can always talk about the commercial Coldplay.

when I say that people prefer to see the Christmas commercial.

I hate Christmas more and more ..

it will as usual talk about stupid vulgar music sung by men who are losing their identity because of the fans.

Fans interested in commercial Coldplay (to believe that they're the record company bosses) not what they sing and expresses Coldplay.

anyway I've expressed

here

I think you're being unnecessarily critical. It's a christmas song, won't be on any albums, nor do I think it's fair to start making predictions about LP5 based on it. As far as christmas songs go, it's pretty decent. Not amazing, but nice.

this.

It's a Christmas song people, just take it as it is! And in that perspectiv, it's a pretty good one ^^ As for the link to LP5, there is none since the song is a year old, therefore linked to the Viva era ;)

Frankly speaking, it sounds just like other Coldplay songs to me, I mean the old piano-based Coldplay songs. I don't have broad knowledge about Christmas songs because I don't celebrate Christmas. :| But anyways, I think both the video and the song are lovely, but sometimes I have a feeling that the video looks a bit cheesy, but I can simply refute that wild thought. :tongue:

I rated the song 5.5 on a 10 scale.

it's one of the better christmas songs in recent years; if it gets to number one i'll be pleased.

it starts out good, but i'm not too keen on the ending bit. i wouldn't like a whole album of that sort of vibe, but for what it is i can't fault it too much.

Well when we compare it to all other Christmas songs at least its something new and its nice. I'm sick of Maraih and all the old million times resang songs.

And to be honest I don't think they would put it no the album even if there was a song mssing on it. Its something new and christmasy.

But to compare it with their other work its not that good.

I enjoy the song. I think that it is well crafted and also not as over the top as I felt that a lot of the songs on VLV were. I like how the band sort of try to simplify things a bit, even though there are strings included in the song. What I really like about the song is the tempo change at the middle, and also how at one point Chris Martin's voice slightly lags behind the music to go into another verse. I feel that the melody is catchy, but also to me has a bit of a nostalgic feel for some reason.

Coldplay are my favourite band...so I may be a bit biased.

When I first heard the 'Viva La Vida' album, I was disappointed but grew to love it...the same happened with Christmas Lights, so I do feel that I'm not an obsessive fan boy which would like everything Coldplay has ever released on first play.

One grumble of mine is the fact Chris sings so low at the start, it just doesn't feel Coldplay-ey, but I grew to accept it and I think it is a great Christmas song, but I have heard better. I personally enjoy 'A Great Big Sled' by The Killers more than 'Christmas Lights'

I never take one off Christmas singles too seriously.

I don't think you can really judge what LP5 will be like based on this.

Yes it sounds safe, but I think Christmas songs should be safe songs that are catchy, simple, and easy to remember and sing along with.

I enjoy the song. I think that it is well crafted and also not as over the top as I felt that a lot of the songs on VLV were. I like how the band sort of try to simplify things a bit, even though there are strings included in the song. What I really like about the song is the tempo change at the middle, and also how at one point Chris Martin's voice slightly lags behind the music to go into another verse. I feel that the melody is catchy, but also to me has a bit of a nostalgic feel for some reason.

^^ this. mostly...because i generally liked the VLV album.

i can see why Christmas Lights ended up as a Christmas single. i'm a big fan of lyrics that tell a story. & while it's lyrically about feeling sad from a breakup close to a festive season, it's got quite a Christmas-y feel to it, especially from the tempo change...even tho i personally don't celebrate Christmas & Christmas celebrations where i'm originally from are more of a commercial thing. releasing it at any other time of the year would just make it pretty out of place even if their next album ends up sounding like Christmas Lights. at the end of the day, it's a MOR Christmas track not something like Politik which is fine, since it suits the mood of the season well.

as for the video, 1st thing that came to mind is the Smashing Pumpkins' video from the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness era. namely the video for Tonight, Tonight actually. but there are hints of Coldplay's own video for The Scientist with that starting scene where they go from a lying down position to standing (deja vu!). but i do think it's quite a nice video visually overall...the whole old school theatre setting & all. * & in general i'm not much of a music video person (i.e. i don't set out to watch the videos for every single that i like).

* admittedly, my opinion is likely to be seen as biased still due to my involvement in the video. & i love the snow/winter & London.

I never take one off Christmas singles too seriously.

I don't think you can really judge what LP5 will be like based on this.

Yes it sounds safe, but I think Christmas songs should be safe songs that are catchy, simple, and easy to remember and sing along with.

herp derp~

that too.

I quite like it in a non-fangirly way. It has a very typical Coldplay sound I think, you couldn't mistake it for someone else if you just randomly heard it on the radio, so in that way I guess it is 'safe'. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As Christmas songs go, it's one of the better ones, it beats hearing Slade & Wizzard repeatedly :P but as a Coldplay song, it's fairly average, not one of their best, but not one of their worst either. Plus it's a Christmas song, it's a one-off, like others have said, you can't judge what the new stuff will be like based on this one track.

The vocals at the start didn't really sit with me at all and the bridge wasn't the strongest either but the chorus was good, great even. It was my favourite part. It sounds christmasy enough I suppose. The instrumentation was decent enough, for a christmas song. Actually I think the second half was a lot better to the first. As for the video, I thought the effort was poor, but in saying that I didn't really know what to expect. It just came off as really cheesy thats all. Overall, Im not disappointed, i didn't expect it to blow me out of the water. It should be a good enough tune to listen to. I don't know how the rest of the mainstream public will recieve though.