✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Word Of Music's non-fangirl opinion of "Christmas Lights"

tauiwi

Yeah it's interesting to hear your opinions.

Even though it might not be album quality, I don't think we should get too caught up on this track. I do have a sneaky suspicion however that EMI had a little whisper in the band's ear to push this out. Coldplay are perfectionists! Leave the cheesy xmas singles to The Killers!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's interesting to hear your opinions.

Even though it might not be album quality, I don't think we should get too caught up on this track. I do have a sneaky suspicion however that EMI had a little whisper in the band's ear to push this out. Coldplay are perfectionists! Leave the cheesy xmas singles to The Killers!

I enjoy the song. I think that it is well crafted and also not as over the top as I felt that a lot of the songs on VLV were. I like how the band sort of try to simplify things a bit, even though there are strings included in the song. What I really like about the song is the tempo change at the middle, and also how at one point Chris Martin's voice slightly lags behind the music to go into another verse. I feel that the melody is catchy, but also to me has a bit of a nostalgic feel for some reason.

This, like exactly.

I think it's pretty good for a Christmas song- it got me thinking about Christmas and feeling Christmas-y, and that's the point of Christmas songs. So, even if it's not as good of a song as some from Parachutes or AROBTTH, I still like it a lot. :wacky:

One grumble of mine is the fact Chris sings so low at the start

THIS. It doesn't feel right, and when he tries to go for the low D and doesn't get down on the pitch all the way, it irritates me. Stop trying to sing lower than you can actually go.

fan-girly view: i'm disappointed knowing the story behind the vid filming itself.

thought i like the stage part with the latin line and the painted piano.

non fan-girly view:

well is catchy, not the best xmas song ever, but they did well with the try, sound so VLV yet.

the fact that people is expecting that that one gives a clue about next album, can be wrong but i guess all are looking forward to the new one, so any tiny thing can be taken as a clue of how next album will be, remember we knew VLV through their 'short video', anyways all conection i may see -if there's any- is in the lines.

i find some lines there pretty weird, so non-Coldplay like, which makes me think as you say, they been forced to finish it sooner, or new album lines have been slipped there or something, the begin sounds weird to me, not even christmassy or alt rock or whatever genre you clasify coldplay at all, the light part at the end is ok, christmassy, but the entrance absolutelly not, lyrically speaking,.

lyric & visual

if they wanted to match the begin lines with the visual the vid should had been different, as snowing, someone walking by on the street, or someone having dinner, more like that dickens story. :\ for the entrance i would had prefered much more the Violet Hill, 'was a long and dark december', even repeating that exact line would had been better, and is not the first time that Chris repeats self on the lines of songs... but honestly: tears will cry a flood, poison in my blood, does that match the entrance for a xmas song? for a mellow rock band? :confused:

i guess the story behind is they always did some xmas vid for the fans, they wanted to do that one more special, may cause they know people are waiting for LP5, but i think they could had done it better, even a come back of the nappies could had been cute.

to do something good is not only the will necesary but the means aswell and usually that requires time, which the lack of it in this case make us feel something is wrong so end disliking the song.

dunno :shrug:

I seriously can't see what's catchy about it? a lot of the songs on VLV had really big hooks and choruses in them, which is great for pop/rock I guess. But Christmas Lights, to me, just seems pretty dull the whole way through. It's like they've tried to make a stadium like chorus but they just couldn't?...I dunno

Um. I think it's rubbish, just like most Christmas songs. It's terribly cheesy. :blank:

BUT I actually liked the beginning because Chris is singing lower than usual. It's different from most Coldplay songs and it makes that part of the song less whiny (fyi: whiny CP songs make me want to puke. I'm very much in an anti-CP phase so I can't stand any CP song with the exception of a few really old songs). The second part of the song sounds too Viva-ish. I've only heard the song once on youtube and I don't think that's gonna change. :\

The latin sentence (credo elvem etiam vivere) was a nice touch though. That's probably my favourite part of the whole song/video/whatever.

HAHA FANGIRL :rolleyes:

its coldplay their not always upbeat well theyre not POP artists LOL, i think its an xmas song with a coldplay twist. Ive Heard some elements of LOVE with the xmas spirit

I feel its abt a guy who lost his LOVE during Xmas or before xmas then he misses her and Hopes xmas can bring him happiness and hope for HER...eso the xmas lights.. i think its too deep for an xmas song....LOL

Whatever dude, what a way to dismiss the point. Still so freakin picky. :P

And nothing wrong with being a fangirl:smug:

i know theirs nothing wrong , i just laugh with the 'word' not particularly coldplay girl fans- i mean.... i love coldplay like you guys do, but its just funny how 'fangirl' sounds like which made me laugh

Whatever dude, what a way to dismiss the point. Still so freakin picky. :P

And nothing wrong with being a fangirl:smug:

If everyone loved it and we over-analysed why you wouldn't care, but because people are over-analysing and they don't like it they are being 'too picky'.

And yes there is something wrong with being a fangirl, opinions are almost always pro-Coldplay and there's clearly a biased view from a fangirl, and they have an incredibly hard time dealing with any negative views on Coldplay which is always annoying (Like what just happened here).