✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

Well, my $.02 about the Poc/Vietnam song similarity is this: When I first heard PoC the first thought that came to my mind was that they took the hook off "Shake Ya Tailfeather" that was made for the movie Bad Boys II.

Yes, the Vietnam song's hook sounds the same as PoC, however, that hook from Shake Ya Tailfeather came out in 2006, the Vietnam song came out in 2008, so it's possible she borrowed her hook from that movie's song. It's possible.

I can't say whether it was blatant copying on Coldplay's part, but truthfully that hook has been around before the Vietnam song came out.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
Coldplay is not very original. What a big revelation :lol:

I'm as big a fan of the band who's man on your sig fronts (Oasis) but isn't it a bit rich an Oasis fan laughing at the originality of Coldplay? Coldplay at the very least have records that sound different from one another. The only Oasis album which sounds slightly different from them all is Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants and that includes some of their best work, but also a couple of worthless clunkers.

Well, my $.02 about the Poc/Vietnam song similarity is this: When I first heard PoC the first thought that came to my mind was that they took the hook off "Shake Ya Tailfeather" that was made for the movie Bad Boys II.

Yes, the Vietnam song's hook sounds the same as PoC, however, that hook from Shake Ya Tailfeather came out in 2006, the Vietnam song came out in 2008, so it's possible she borrowed her hook from that movie's song. It's possible.

I can't say whether it was blatant copying on Coldplay's part, but truthfully that hook has been around before the Vietnam song came out.

epfaiuyfeaoifuje;fjaopidja;kdfjz;lka

Guest howyousawtheworld

Just finished listening to it for the first time. I like it. Decent first listen. Us Against The World caught me the most. But it hasn't left me begging for more or deep within the music as Viva La Vida did. If anything it's left me a bit alien to it at the moment. Of course I can't give a score because I've only listened to it once. I'll listen to it more and see if it grows or not. I'm just not sure that I should be so satisfied with this when it's been so long in the making. I just think that after a record like Viva La Vida and having three and a half years to make it, Coldplay really should be making that record which betters that of Viva and AROBTTH. You've seriously got to question the merits of having effectively 4 producers on board, two who don't really have any great credits under their name. Just getting a bit too cosy I feel.

I haven't listened to the album yet...I probably won't get a chance to get to a store until the weekend. I'm considering just listening to the songs on youtube, but there is something special about hearing an entire album for the first time from the actual cd.

I'm actually surprised that I don't really care that I haven't heard it yet. :uhoh: I guess this means that my Coldplay obsession has died down to simply enjoying the band?

Guest howyousawtheworld
I haven't listened to the album yet...I probably won't get a chance to get to a store until the weekend. I'm considering just listening to the songs on youtube, but there is something special about hearing an entire album for the first time from the actual cd.

I'm actually surprised that I don't really care that I haven't heard it yet. :uhoh: I guess this means that my Coldplay obsession has died down to simply enjoying the band?

Likewise. This was the first album that was released when I was a member of this forum and reading and following all the hype to the smallest detail in the follow up to the album and reading the opinions of the album kind of killed the anticipation of it all in the end. Best for me next time to keep the distance maybe by not bothering with this forum.

I've listened to it three times now, been trying to do an essay at the same time though so haven't listened to it properly yet. I like it but I don't love it . My favourite songs are Paradise, Up in Flames and Us Against the World. I like it much better than Viva La Vida (which I didn't really like) but it's nowhere near as good as the first two albums.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Yeah, I feel the same way.

Also I think that because we heard so many of the songs that were played during the festival shows, we had a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's just not as exciting!

For sure. I was all for them playing live material and while it's made me admire Coldplay live even more it kind of threw a bucket of water over the album, especially as the songs are so much better live.

my review after the 6th or 7th listen:

Mylo Xyloto: really nice intro

Hurts Like Heaven: One of my favorites. Unlike most people seem to feel, I really enjoy the alterations done on Chris' voice in this song; especially around 1:30 (reminds of Vampire Weekend or Bon Iver); 9/10

Paradise: I hated this song at first, but I'm not going to lie....it's really grown on me. I honestly like it now. I still think most of the lyrics are pretty dumb but it just sounds so cool. 6/10.

Charlie Brown: For some reason, I'm not feeling this song as much as most people seem to be. But I do really enjoy the "all the boys, all the girls" parts and I love the ending 30 seconds of piano; that's beautiful. 6/10.

Us Against The World: Easily a favorite. With the acoustics and the pinao, it's just beautiful. I love hearing Chris embrace his lower singing voice, since his falsetto isn't what it used to be. 10/10

M.M.I.X.: Some people were saying they didn't understand why this was here, but I think it's really necessary to create an effective transition between UATW and ETIAW. I couldn't imagine UATW ending and then ETIAW starting right away.

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall: Well.....what can I say, ETIAW is ETIAW. Crappy lyrics (with the exception of "I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"), but a very catchy song, and I won't deny that I enjoy listening to it. It sounds better in the context of the album. 6/10

Major Minus: This song is crazy. There's a lot going on. But it sounds great to me. I love the guitar. 7/10

U.F.O.: Love this short little ditty. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like the tune is kind of similar to that of Major Minus, at least at the very beginning, which makes for a really nice transition. To me this kind of feels like the Parachutes of Parachutes, haha. And it has a nice little build up to PoC. 9/10

Princess of China: I had a strange reaction to this. I hated it the first couple of times I heard it, but then it just....clicked. I generally like it. I don't understand why Rihanna was necessary, but she sounds great in the song. My only real complaints about it now are that the part with all the synths at the beginning and a little past the middle just sounds like too much, and that the song in general probably fits in the least with the rest of the album. 7/10

Up In Flames:Although I do kind of wish this song didn't have that extra little drumbeat, I don't think it sounds bad or out of place. I really enjoy this. I get that "piano ballad" feel from it, and the odd beat is just a little something extra, which makes sense, since there's already been a piano ballad on 3 of the other albums. And Chris's voice is beautiful. 9/10

A Hopeful Transmission: Another lovely transition.

Don't Let It Break Your Heart: This is so upbeat, it's just empowering. And the guitar sounds so pretty. And the ending beat made to sound, presumably, like a heartbeat, is a nice touch (reminds me a bit of CoL). My only qualm is that I don't know what half of the words are yet since there's so much going on it's difficult to decipher the lyrics. 8/10

Up With The Birds: I prefer the second half of this to the first half. The first half sounds a bit odd to me. But I really love the lyrics in this one, and it just feels like an ending, which is something I don't often feel about the final song on an album. 9/10

I'm not very good at reviews....but this will have to do. I didn't rank the transitions. Overall I give the album a 7/10, possibly an 8/10 in the future. I don't know what the people who claim it was choppy are talking about, because it feels incredibly cohesive to me. I know already I like it more than X & Y. I'm so pleasantly surprised by how much I like it.

After almost a week I finally wrote a review, it's not about the music really, it's about how I feel listening to every song (yeah you can stop reading now)

1. Mylo Xyloto: It’s a very nice start for the album, I really like it but I think it should be part of HLH. Not as good as LiT though.

2. Hurts Like Heaven: I think it’s a good song, I just dislike the robot voice. The lyrics are a bit dumb too but I really enjoy the song. Sounds great live. 8/10

3. Paradise: I can’t stand it, dumb lyrics and it’s too boring to me. Para para? Dumbest thing ever, they’re not singing Rihanna’s Umbrella. One of the worst coldplay songs in my ranking. I hate it even more after reading that they decided to make this album instead of an acoustic record after they wrote this. 1/10

4. Charlie Brown: when I listened to the live versions I thought this was gonna be huge. It’s good but I think it could be better, still one of my favorites. It’s an instant Coldplay classic 8.5/10

5. Us Against The World: I love this song, I think it shows that coldplay still can make simple beautiful songs without adding too much stuff, I wish Will would appear more on it. 8.5/10

6. M.M.I.X : I just think they added all these transitions to make it more of a “concept” album, I don’t like the flow of the album and since I hate ETIAW this reminds me of that song and I don’t really enjoy it.

7. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall: Do I need to say something about this song? I really dislike it, It’s better than paradise but it’s still shit in my opinion, it doesn’t even sound good live to me. The lyrics are the worst part of it. 2/10

8. Major Minus: I think it’s just ok, an average coldplay song, I like some bits of it but it’s nothing special. Maybe it will grow on me 5/10

9. U.F.O I loved the Parachutes vibe at first but now I just skip it. I think it’s one of these songs we’ll forget about next year 6/10

10. Princess Of China: at first I was very confused about this song but I think that Rihanna adds a lot to it, it’s refreshing to hear a new voice and I think it fits well with Chris. It’s also catchy and it’s a good pop song. I understand all the hate though. 8/10

11. Up In Flames: I don’t like the chorus, I just can’t stand Chris voice in it, I also think the song is a bit boring although at first I really liked it. 6/10

12. A Hopeful Transmission: Again, they’re trying too hard to make a “concept” album. It’s ok I guess

13. Don't Let It Break Your Heart: this song makes me happy, that’s what I like about it. Sometimes it’s a bit too much of everything but I still enjoy it a lot. It makes me feel the same as LiT ii. 9/10

14. Up With The Birds: I LOVE the second part of this song, it's a perfect way to end an album, not so sure about the start but I like the song as a whole. 7.5/10

Overall I think that Paradise and ETIAW lowered my expectations A LOT, so this wasn’t that bad. Also, both songs really ruined the album to me. There are some songs I really love and I’m glad there’s new stuff to listen to. I’m not sure what I’ll think once the new album excitement ends, or maybe my opinions will change after I see them live (I hope I will). I don’t see it as a concept album and I don’t think the songs go well together.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0tUCOQYik]Noah And The Whale - Paradise (Coldplay cover)[/ame]

this the only song from the album that i hate but i love this cover

^and its true one has to listen to the album more the once to really like it or get it

Noah And The Whale - Paradise (Coldplay cover)[/url]

this the only song from the album that i hate but i love this cover

^and its true one has to listen to the album more the once to really like it or get it

Wow. You like that cover?

Perhaps I just don't know this band very well, but I didn't like that at all.

I love Noah and the Whale but they sound so tone-deaf singing this song omfg. a;daeoaiewa;kdaf;s how can anyone like it?!

GaGa did better when she covered Coldplay back when...she did... :shifty:

^^It's just that, :bigcry: everyone keeps throwing back the early 00's hip-hop and my heart can't handle it :love:

Guest howyousawtheworld

Ok. I've listened to Mylo Xyloto about 5 times now. I think it's fair to give a review of this album now. I do try to be as honest about Coldplay's music as anything and I hope that some of you have realised that in my time on this board.

This album just doesn't work for me. As individual songs alone they are good enough and are enjoyable to listen to. However as part of a larger body of work they just do no go together. It's all mix and mash, cut and paste. Some say it flows well, but I just do not hear it. Hurts Like Heaven while not a patch on the live version is still a fine opener. Paradise for some reason I do like and I don't have any complaints about it's position on the album. Vague and pointless lyrics but for me I like the dreamy swirling nature the song takes. Charlie Brown is a bit more uncomfortable being placed next to Paradise but there's no doubting that this is the best song on the album for me. Us Against The World I think is beautiful but then MMIX up until A Hopeful Transmission is just not up to standard. ETIAW and then Major Minus are possibly the two worst placed songs on any Coldplay album. They make no sense at all and as to add insult to injury UFO pops up afterwards making the past 5 minutes a complete waste of time. UFO is for me a lovely little tune and is refreshing but it just seems so out of place on the album, something you could argue for the other acoustic tracks. I do like the transition from the end of UFO to Princess of China but that's the best part of Princess of China. It's a good song and Rihanna does a good job but what is the point? Her contribution is totally forgettable in the context of the album making the whole song a forgettable experience. I love A Hopeful Transmission/Don't Let It Break Your Heart though. Yeah there's a bit too much noise but it doesn't stop me from really enjoying it. Up With The Birds is a really good ending as well but for me those songs just came too late to save the day. The whole acoustics in with the electric pop just doesn't work. I like both kinds of music but I also like pizza and ice cream and I don't put those two together.

I am a massive Coldplay fan and I still am a massive Coldplay fan. Ever since I fell in love with this band they have never disappointed me until now. A Rush Of Blood To The Head, as a 12 year old was one of the most fantastic things I could ever imagine hearing that aged. I'll never ever forget the moment this band captured me with their performance of Clocks at the Brits in early 2003. And then they released X&Y. I know it's got flaws all over the place but at the time I loved it and even though I recognise those flaws I still love the record. It still has a massive heart. And then Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends I remember to be the soundtrack of my last year of school. It is for me just perfect. My favourite from Coldplay. But this has left me with no feelings. It doesn't have the heart of X&Y. It doesn't have the imagery of Viva La Vida. It doesn't have the mental turmoil (if that makes sense) which A Rush Of Blood To The Head had. It doesn't have the humbleness of Parachutes. It's a strange thing to feel for a band that had up until now dished out emotions to me and ignited my passion for music. It's left me a bit gutted. It's not that I've outgrown them or anything. I go back and listen to their previous records and my love for those records, bar possibly X&Y, isn't just there because of the nostalgic factor. It's still and appreciation of the music and passion those records conjure up for me. But this time, for the first time they've drawn a blank on me. :(

I've heard the album once when it first leaked and it disappointed me that I don't feel like listening to it again. Maybe I should though to form an opinion on it.

Same here, haven't listened since, don't feel like it.

I keep switching between Fritz Kalkbrenner and Fink at the moment! :lol:

This is shizophrenic, I am aware of the fact! :P

Examples:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDm_3UvYiO8]Fritz Kalkbrenner LIVE - "Wes" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prZYhE-3QC0]Fink - Berlin Sunrise - YouTube[/ame]