✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was speaking of the fanbase as a whole too. I was saying that the fanbase did not really have any impact on what the band has ever chosen to be.

And I just don't think it's about "caring" about the fans. A band will and should do just whatever it is they feel like doing with their music, if possible.

If it's a less personal audience, well, I guess that's the band's problem, if that's the kind of thing that would bother them. Although I don't think it is.

Chris Martin did say recently that they're making music that they want. They're gonna make whatever makes them happy and if less people like them they don't care.

OK, despite everything...I love the album. I didn't think I would, and I thought at most I'd tolerate about half of it and simply like the rest of it OK, but I actually think despite the direction they've moved in and despite things like vocal distortion and pandering to Top 40 radio...it's a really solid album, with great sonic flow, a cool narrative that's not overbearing, and a lot of great songs (in my opinion) balanced out with a few that don't wow me as much. It's nothing like what I wanted or hoped for, but I don't even think it's their worst album.

I'm still stunned I like it this much, but even songs like Princess Of China and Paradise are more appealing in context to me.

I don't know why people are ripping on this album so much. X&Y has lyrics just as bad (if not worse), and it's far more monotonous. This album, to my ears at least, has more ideas in it. More sonic diversity.

While Mylo Xyloto is an average album, it's not even close to being Coldplay's worst record. That would go to X&Y, one of the worst albums I have ever heard in my life.

More diversity doesn't mean all those ideas are good. X&Y's concepts were indeed all the same and it re-used the same lyrics in almost all of its songs, but at least those were decent sounds and concepts to begin with.

See, I don't think X&Y's sounds were ever good. There is exactly one decent song on that record...and it's basically just a remix of Clocks. It will always be their worst album in my mind.

On the other hand, I geniunely like Mylo Xyloto's dance themes and melodies (I love electro/dance pop), the only problem I really have with it is the lyrics. I have a few gripes with the production as well, but nothing too major.

They're morons. Try to humor them. I find some of the "OMG PRINCESS OF CHINA IS LYKE THE BEST SONG EVAR ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH MY IDIOT OPINION IS LYKE SOOO DUMB KAY" thing kind've funny. :P

Hey now. We're not all like this. (Although, I know exactly what you're talking about.)

I listened to the whole thing. It has a similar tempo and that's all I can hear. And it's a random VIETNAMESE song........I can't even fathom the odds of the band actually HEARING this song at any point and time. Where the hell was this song even found?

Some songs just sound similar at parts. I have several examples on my iPod.

I listened to the whole thing. It has a similar tempo and that's all I can hear.
Personally (as do other people) I think the opening hook is more than similar. For shiggles I played the intro of the Vietnamese song for my husband, and then played PoC. He just looked at me and shook his head and said, "WOW. Yeah that's pretty much the same."

And it's a random VIETNAMESE song........I can't even fathom the odds of the band actually HEARING this song at any point and time. Where the hell was this song even found?
It's dismissive to say this. The song certainly isn't random to people who live there (some people on this forum live there). And if the band had simply used Shazam while they were in the studio recording the song, they would have heard it (that likely could have been how this song was 'found' by someone else in the first place). I don't know why they don't use a program like that, given their experience with claims like this. I think it's a bit irresponsible on their part.

edit: Just saw your recent post, no worries. :nice:

Okay, I've listened to Mylo Zyloto all the way through twice, and I'm really enjoying it. As I kind of expected, I don't understand even slightly how it doesn't have a good flow; I think the flow is excellent. It had it's low points for sure though; obviously not their best, but really, who was expecting it to be? I'll give a real review later today.

Oh and after listening to PoC....I do hear the similarities between it and that other song. But it just feels like such a common melody to me that I would have thought it was something I had heard before even without listening to the Vietnamese song, so I don't know. It was pretty dumb of them not to check that out beforehand, if they didn't. But hey, if Coldplay ever gets sued for that maybe it will teach them not to put any song where Rihanna is singing on a Coldplay album :P