✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

Guest howyousawtheworld

Chris's voice has changed. It's so obvious. It was a lot more Southern English orientated and he sang more mumbled. Now he sings his words very stretched out and in general his voice is less distinctive although still probably one of the the most distinctive in popular music.

And Imke - haven't Coldplay been attracting 15 year olds for most of their career now? Fix You anyone??! Far more ridiculous than dance like ETIAW. Why haven't people been complaining since then I wonder?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lyrically, Coldplay has never been mature. Fix You is obviously an early low point there. But they're shifted its content toward an audience that sucks up Black Eyed Peas lyrics and similar nonsense, so now they pump out stuff like "I turn the music up, I got my records on".

they always do when i say i hate X&Y

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to kick you

Black Eyed Peas is fans to apparatjik but not its public or its label industy commercial .

I'm sorry but I prefer bands like Coldplay with souls and deep than the bands guys so its runners adoring groupies, hens luxury showbiz that have nothing in their heads. then the bands are not the deep musics, lyrics that struck me in the ears and my vision I feel groupie woman :botoxlips: because all loved his women hens on magazines, advertising .

kinds of this bands example

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C0OEVWKZv0&feature=related]Kasabian - Shoot The Runner - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADmCFmYLns4&feature=relmfu]Maroon 5 - Never Gonna Leave This Bed - YouTube[/ame]

or you have a good feeling while listening or not. and I prefer Rihanna - We Found Love this last single and all his songs better than this pop rock bands uk or us boysband .

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go jump off a cliff because Chris Martin told me too. :D

:lol:

But the sad thing is, a lot of them would. :uhoh:

EDIT: Hey, did you guys hear this thing about the boys not sharing equal profits anymore? Something's going around that's saying Guy, Jonny and Will get 9% now and Chris still gets like 12% or something. Is there a reliable source behind this? Because it sounds like a load of bull but... you never know.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go jump off a cliff because Chris Martin told me too. :D

LOL!

And ignite your bones

Ok you're so funny :lol:

Well I like Chris' voice, and I like it in UIF, especially the last line - it's really touching. Anyways, it's my opinion. He can sing live, and not many singers still SING live in 2011. (Ironic...) :rolleyes:

Guest howyousawtheworld
Lyrically, Coldplay has never been mature. Fix You is obviously an early low point there. But they're shifted its content toward an audience that sucks up Black Eyed Peas lyrics and similar nonsense, so now they pump out stuff like "I turn the music up, I got my records on".

And ignite your bones

You're talking out of your arse again. A Rush Of Blood To The Head was perfectly mature in every way. Have you ever listened to Coldplay? You seem to be making a career out of coming on this website (that or you have too much time on your hands) and just slagging literally everything they've done now just because they've upset you with their latest material.

Ooh, I have an apparent forum nemesis! Been wanting one of these ever since I first signed up for the forum. :D

I love AROBTTH to death and it's one of my favorite albums of all time, but again if you read carefully, I'm saying they've never been lyrically mature. This includes a lot of AROBTTH (big exceptions being Amsterdam and the title track which are lyrically Coldplay's strongest works). Songs like Clocks and In My Place may not have toddler lyrics like "When you try your best and you don't succeed" or "Those who are dead are not dead", but they're made up of abstract phrases that ultimately don't mean a thing. But I'm speaking of an even further shift away from mere nonsense into outright stupid stuff like "I could've been a princess".

Chris's voice has changed. It's so obvious. It was a lot more Southern English orientated and he sang more mumbled. Now he sings his words very stretched out and in general his voice is less distinctive although still probably one of the the most distinctive in popular music.

And Imke - haven't Coldplay been attracting 15 year olds for most of their career now? Fix You anyone??! Far more ridiculous than dance like ETIAW. Why haven't people been complaining since then I wonder?

Of course his voice has changed, but his live voice still sounds so ridiculously different from his studio voice. Why all that editing? It sounds so polished both on VLV and on MX, completely unnecessary if you ask me.

Uhm, how have they been attracting teens with Parachutes and AROBTTH? I really don't see it. And I don't think they've done it much with X&Y either.

With this Rihanna/Paradise/ETIAW/DLIBYH-stuff they do mainly attract those teens who change their favourite act every few weeks. Great audience I must say. Really is gonna make any Coldplay concert so much more enjoyable. Sorry for the sarcasm but I'm really mad. I feel like they're kicking the fans that made them who they are away to sell more records to people that will have completely forgotten about them within a few months.

There's just so much wrong with this whole situation for me. I'm really disappointed with them as a band and as human beings.

Meh, I just really don't understand why he'd make/write even more songs in which he has to use his voice in ways that cause him trouble. Like the high-pitch that he really has to concentrate on these days to actually stay in tune.

What baffles me and really makes me question his lack of dedication to his music though is that he wrote even more songs in which he can mindlessly jump around while only hitting every second tone. I don't mind it that much with VLV, but there's now a bunch of songs that just make him struggle live and worse is that he seemingly doesn't bother to actually stay in tune because jumping around is more fun.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Of course his voice has changed, but his live voice still sounds so ridiculously different from his studio voice. Why all that editing? It sounds so polished both on VLV and on MX, completely unnecessary if you ask me.

Uhm, how have they been attracting teens with Parachutes and AROBTTH? I really don't see it. And I don't think they've done it much with X&Y either.

With this Rihanna/Paradise/ETIAW/DLIBYH-stuff they do mainly attract those teens who change their favourite act every few weeks. Great audience I must say. Really is gonna make any Coldplay concert so much more enjoyable. Sorry for the sarcasm but I'm really mad. I feel like they're kicking the fans that made them who they are away to sell more records to people that will have completely forgotten about them within a few months.

There's just so much wrong with this whole situation for me. I'm really disappointed with them as a band and as human beings.

That's a bit much isn't it?

But on the other fronts I see where your coming from and it's a shame that it's come to that way for you. With Viva La Vida there was no way I thought that was attracting a younger fan base. You're absolutely correct that Parachutes and AROBTTH didn't but I feel they did catch the ears of those "15 year old girls" with Fix You. The Rihanna contribution is a bit of a marketing gimmick thought. Which is a shame because for me I really like that song and even though Rihanna does a decent job on that song, it's going to attach a massive stigma to Coldplay. I don't want to go to Coldplay concerts just to be surrounded by fans who are much younger than me. When I went to their Viva tour I was delighted by the diversity of the audience. There were so many fans from aged 10 to 50 there. I don't want Coldplay to lose that uniqueness about them. You lose the diversity in your fan base and you soon begin to fold. You can still make music that keeps the core fan base and still gain new fans. Just look at U2 for example. But I think the core fanbase will still be very much there with this record. Only a small minority of that fan base will dislike it.

In what way did the fans make Coldplay who they are? I wasn't aware that all of you older fans were in the studio with them, helping them make their previous albums???

Feel free to dislike the new stuff as much as you want, but the band doesn't owe you ANYTHING, just fyi, lmao.....

:lol:

But the sad thing is, a lot of them would. :uhoh:

EDIT: Hey, did you guys hear this thing about the boys not sharing equal profits anymore? Something's going around that's saying Guy, Jonny and Will get 9% now and Chris still gets like 12% or something. Is there a reliable source behind this? Because it sounds like a load of bull but... you never know.

Yeah it's true. A member of PRS even posted the info here a couple of months ago, including a screen shot. And it wasn't just something that was made up, because admin was contacted (by PRS) and requested that it be removed. Obviously we can't do anything about discussions, but the PRS members-eyes-only images had to be removed.

And if I remember correctly Chris got twice the share.

Guest howyousawtheworld
In what way did the fans make Coldplay who they are? I wasn't aware that all of you older fans were in the studio with them, helping them make their previous albums???

Feel free to dislike the new stuff as much as you want, but the band doesn't owe you ANYTHING, just fyi, lmao.....

I completely agree. But I can see why some fans think that way though, although I personally don't share it. I will snap up a Coldplay ticket in an instance because they still are one of the bands who can excite me particularly live. But you are absolutely right. It's not the fans who made Coldplay successful. l Coldplay made themselves successful so saying you feel abandoned, well it is understandable, but at the end of the day they aren't making music just to satisfy anyones needs, only there own. Regardless I understand some people's frustrations.

That's a bit much isn't it?

But on the other fronts I see where your coming from and it's a shame that it's come to that way for you. With Viva La Vida there was no way I thought that was attracting a younger fan base. You're absolutely correct that Parachutes and AROBTTH didn't but I feel they did catch the ears of those "15 year old girls" with Fix You. The Rihanna contribution is a sham though and probably the biggest of the lot. Which is a shame because for me I really like that song and even though Rihanna does a decent job on that song, it's going to attach a massive stigma to Coldplay. You are absolutely correct. I don't want to go to Coldplay concerts to be surrounded by fans who are much younger than me. When I went to their Viva tour I was delighted by the diversity of the audience. There were so many fans from aged 10 to 50 there. I don't want Coldplay to lose that uniqueness about them. If they however do more collabs like the Rihanna one they will lose that audience and with it the charm and diversity of their fanbase. You lose the diversity in your fan base and you soon begin to fold. You can still make music that keeps the core fan base and still gain new fans. Just look at U2 for example.

I'm not saying it's happening right now and I do admit that I tend to exaggerate these days because I'm just overwhelmingly disappointed with this era, but I for one am shocked that that same Chris Martin who openly said in the Live 2003 interview that mainstream pop is just awful now releases songs with Rihanna and writes lyrics as shallow as the ones from ETIAW. I don't mind pop music, but I don't even feel like this is good pop music ... it's just mediocre and that's really the last place I expected Coldplay to go.

Did I say anywhere that I specifically made them who they are?

However, it was the fans who bought the records, who went to concerts and who sometimes gave their last penny to see them live. That doesn't mean they owe them anything, but I still feel gutted that they'd throw that away so easily to appeal to an audience that basically anyone can appeal to. Is that so hard to understand?

However, it was the fans who bought the records, who went to concerts and who sometimes gave their last penny to see them live. That doesn't mean they owe them anything, but I still feel gutted that they'd throw that away so easily to appeal to an audience that basically anyone can appeal to. Is that so hard to understand?

You said "the fans that made them who they are", so yeah, you did....

It was the band that MADE the records and performed the concerts that those people liked though.

And what's wrong with reaching an audience "that anyone can appeal to"? What was so incredibly special about the old audience they had? Were you guys TRUE music fans??:lol:

Meh, I just really don't understand why he'd make/write even more songs in which he has to use his voice in ways that cause him trouble. Like the high-pitch that he really has to concentrate on these days to actually stay in tune.

What baffles me and really makes me question his lack of dedication to his music though is that he wrote even more songs in which he can mindlessly jump around while only hitting every second tone. I don't mind it that much with VLV, but there's now a bunch of songs that just make him struggle live and worse is that he seemingly doesn't bother to actually stay in tune because jumping around is more fun.

Yeah, I feel like he should stay in the lower register now. He sounds good in it (It's one of the reasons I like "Yes" so much, actually), and it keeps him from trying (and, at times, failing) to hit notes that aren't really practical for him to hit as a bartione.

OMG, THE JUMPING. Don't even get me started on that. :bomb:

Yeah it's true. A member of PRS even posted the info here a couple of months ago, including a screen shot. And it wasn't just something that was made up, because admin was contacted (by PRS) and requested that it be removed. Obviously we can't do anything about discussions, but the PRS members-eyes-only images had to be removed.

And if I remember correctly Chris got twice the share.

-shakes head in disappointment-

I'm not saying it's happening right now and I do admit that I tend to exaggerate these days because I'm just overwhelmingly disappointed with this era, but I for one am shocked that that same Chris Martin who openly said in the Live 2003 interview that mainstream pop is just awful now releases songs with Rihanna and writes lyrics as shallow as the ones from ETIAW. I don't mind pop music, but I don't even feel like this is good pop music ... it's just mediocre and that's really the last place I expected Coldplay to go.

I understand completely, Imke. I think there are quite a few of us (myself included) who feel that way.

You said "the fans that made them who they are", so yeah, you did....

It was the band that MADE the records and performed the concerts that those people liked though.

And what's wrong with reaching an audience "that anyone can appeal to"? What was so incredibly special about the old audience they had? Were you guys TRUE music fans??:lol:

I meant the fanbase in itself though, not myself as a person. Of course I wasn't in the studio and watched over their shoulders. I never said I made them who they are musically. So, no I didn't ...

Every band needs their fans to buy CDs, tickets whatever though. Technically I'm their customer and if I don't like their product, I simply don't buy it. It's not that easy with some bands for me though, because I got emotionally attached to Coldplay's music. That doesn't mean I want them to make the same record over and over again just to satisfy my personal needs, but it just means that I get very disappointed if they release music that I for one perceive as very shallow, generic and impersonal. It makes me wonder if they care about those fans that they won by making deep and personal (that's how I perceived it) music. I didn't say that the "old" audience is better, but I think it must feel less personal and less special for the band too if they have an audience that for a great part consists of people that don't really care much about the band per se, but mainly about those 2, 3 songs they heard on the radio and thought were cool ...

I was speaking of the fanbase as a whole too. I was saying that the fanbase did not really have any impact on what the band has ever chosen to be.

And I just don't think it's about "caring" about the fans. A band will and should do just whatever it is they feel like doing with their music, if possible.

If it's a less personal audience, well, I guess that's the band's problem, if that's the kind of thing that would bother them. Although I don't think it is.

Chosen to be? No. But they certainly wouldn't be able to buy mansions in London, have two studios of their own and play the world's biggest arenas. I wasn't talking about the music they chose to make. Of course the fanbase didn't make them produce AROBTTH.

Meh, don't necessarily feel like this is what they want to do either. If it is, then fine. I'll have to accept that and move on eventually. At the moment I'm just really utterly disappointed and I need to vent somewhere.

And yeah, these days, seeing those insane concert prices (at least here in Germany) and collabs with Rihanna, I feel like the main thing that bothers them is money.

Yeah, I feel like he should stay in the lower register now. He sounds good in it (It's one of the reasons I like "Yes" so much, actually), and it keeps him from trying (and, at times, failing) to hit notes that aren't really practical for him to hit as a bartione.

OMG, THE JUMPING. Don't even get me started on that. :bomb:

I wouldn't mind the jumping much if it didn't have an impact on his singing tbh. I like his enthusiasm, but I think the music should always come first (especially considering what you have to pay to see them these days) and that means inevitably that he has to stay in tune. I don't expect him to sing perfectly all the time, in fact, I think it's part of his charme that he doesn't, but during certain songs it just get unbearable.