✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

"Major Minus" and I have such a Ross and Rachel relationship. When I first heard that song, I absolutely hated it. Thought it was the worst thing Coldplay's ever put out. It seriously gave me a headache.

Then, "Princess of China" came out and I didn't think that one was too bad anymore. Thought it was pretty mediocre.

Now I can't stand it again. :uhoh:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I've listened to Mylo Xyloto about 5 times now. I think it's fair to give a review of this album now. I do try to be as honest about Coldplay's music as anything and I hope that some of you have realised that in my time on this board.

This album just doesn't work for me. As individual songs alone they are good enough and are enjoyable to listen to. However as part of a larger body of work they just do no go together. It's all mix and mash, cut and paste. Some say it flows well, but I just do not hear it. Hurts Like Heaven while not a patch on the live version is still a fine opener. Paradise for some reason I do like and I don't have any complaints about it's position on the album. Vague and pointless lyrics but for me I like the dreamy swirling nature the song takes. Charlie Brown is a bit more uncomfortable being placed next to Paradise but there's no doubting that this is the best song on the album for me. Us Against The World I think is beautiful but then MMIX up until A Hopeful Transmission is just not up to standard. ETIAW and then Major Minus are possibly the two worst placed songs on any Coldplay album. They make no sense at all and as to add insult to injury UFO pops up afterwards making the past 5 minutes a complete waste of time. UFO is for me a lovely little tune and is refreshing but it just seems so out of place on the album, something you could argue for the other acoustic tracks. I do like the transition from the end of UFO to Princess of China but that's the best part of Princess of China. It's a good song and Rihanna does a good job but what is the point? Her contribution is totally forgettable in the context of the album making the whole song a forgettable experience. I love A Hopeful Transmission/Don't Let It Break Your Heart though. Yeah there's a bit too much noise but it doesn't stop me from really enjoying it. Up With The Birds is a really good ending as well but for me those songs just came too late to save the day. The whole acoustics in with the electric pop just doesn't work. I like both kinds of music but I also like pizza and ice cream and I don't put those two together.

I am a massive Coldplay fan and I still am a massive Coldplay fan. Ever since I fell in love with this band they have never disappointed me until now. A Rush Of Blood To The Head, as a 12 year old was one of the most fantastic things I could ever imagine hearing that aged. I'll never ever forget the moment this band captured me with their performance of Clocks at the Brits in early 2003. And then they released X&Y. I know it's got flaws all over the place but at the time I loved it and even though I recognise those flaws I still love the record. It still has a massive heart. And then Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends I remember to be the soundtrack of my last year of school. It is for me just perfect. My favourite from Coldplay. But this has left me with no feelings. It doesn't have the heart of X&Y. It doesn't have the imagery of Viva La Vida. It doesn't have the mental turmoil (if that makes sense) which A Rush Of Blood To The Head had. It doesn't have the humbleness of Parachutes. It's a strange thing to feel for a band that had up until now dished out emotions to me and ignited my passion for music. It's left me a bit gutted. It's not that I've outgrown them or anything. I go back and listen to their previous records and my love for those records, bar possibly X&Y, isn't just there because of the nostalgic factor. It's still and appreciation of the music and passion those records conjure up for me. But this time, for the first time they've drawn a blank on me. :(

Very nicely put. This is how I am feeling as well. I want to love the album so much, but it really doesn't do anything for me even after 11 listens. I had high expectations after Viva (which is now my second favorite album) because it was so amazing and I loved it on first listen. I am just dissapointed. That doesn't mean there aren't good things about the album, because there are. To me though, there seems to be more wrong with it than right. I sorely wished they hadn't squandered their original idea of an acoustic album. I would have really loved that album. I also think it was a bad idea to mix parts of that album with the other electronic album idea they had going. If they had kept those two ideas separate albums I think each respectively would have been stronger than this one. If there is any purpose this album serves is that I hope it is a stepping stone to a better direction. I'm looking forward to Lp6.

Personally, that doesn't sway me either way, but DAMN this "feud" I'm having in the MX forum is hilarious right now.

The "feud":

You're such a smug fella, ain't you? It's a pity I don't know what the word patronising means, because I think if I did I'd probably think you were being it.

Writing "RIP COLDPLAY" because a band took an artistic direction you didn't like is soooooo high brow. Man, my tiny brain can't even imagine what went through your head. Whatever it was, it must have been pretty smart. Only smart people do shit like that. Because a band is objectively awful if they dare to veer off the track from the type of music you like. Yeah, they're totally DEAD. HOW DARE Coldplay create any type of music that isn't generic indie-hipster stuff? I saw your "30 best songs of the year" (Don't even get me started on the amount of intelligence that must have required. Tell me, what is it about a song that makes it the 26th best song of the year and not the 25th? That doesn't sound arbitrary at all) and every single band played in around about the same genre. So it's pretty evident you just don't like the music Coldplay play any more. Sorry, but Coldplay haven't been making that type of music for about seven years. Why the hell you still here, man?

Oh and bashing Coldplay? WHO HAS EVER DONE THAT BEFORE? You're such a pioneer. You are one cool, edgy man. I wish I was like you. I can't even think of one person who bashes Coldplay and hates their new "MAINSTERAM!" pop directions. You genius. How did you come up with any of these "independent" thoughts?

It must be pretty amazing being you. Wasting your time on a webpage dedicated to a band that has "died" according to you. Just lurking around, waiting for someone to make a positive comment about the album before you come in and say something incredibly smug and pretentious that proves to everyone just how much of a refined musical pallet you have.

But really, the only reason you still fuck about on here is because you love the attention. Surely. Otherwise what the hell you are doing on a fan site dedicated to a band you don't even like, and haven't liked during any period of recent history? Or are you just a masochist?

:dazzled:

keep switching between Fritz Kalkbrenner and Fink at the moment! :lol:

This is shizophrenic, I am aware of the fact! :P

Sorry for taking this too serious, but I don't like it when people use the term schizophrenia wrong and thereby contribute to the misconception that schizophrenia is about having two minds or two personalities or being more people at once. Multiple personality disorder is too many times confused with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is about the disintegration of thought processes, i.e. people losing their mind.

Sorry, just wanted to have this clear because people have a wrong idea of what schizophrenia is just like with narcolepsy. With schizophrenia in my family and suffering narcolepsy myself I find myself explaining too many times what these things are and people have completely wrong ideas about them and so it makes it really hard to convince them about what is going on. It’s like “but I read everywhere that it’s like this!” Might be, but that’s doesn’t mean that any of them know what they are talking about.

I understand that you were just making a joke. I hope you don’t get mad, hahaha.

Ha, no of course not.

I studied psychology actually so I know what it is but it doesn't hurt to explain it. :)

I'm sorry if this got you the wrong way.

Might not have been the right word choice...

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I find it weird myself. And I'd never have thought that the release of a new CP album would leave me cold.

Guest howyousawtheworld

For once I agreed with Pitchfork. Jonny Buckland really is a cruelly underrated guitarist. He, Guy and Will are still stars but I feel cold by Chris Martin's input into the album.

Noah And The Whale - Paradise (Coldplay cover)[/url]

this the only song from the album that i hate but i love this cover

^and its true one has to listen to the album more the once to really like it or get it

As much as I love Noah and the Whale...no. Just no.

I didn't watch Unstaged and don't really see a point in it.

I also find it kind've quite morbid that they performed in a bullfighting ring but that's a whole different subject, so.

Personally, that doesn't sway me either way, but DAMN this "feud" I'm having in the MX forum is hilarious right now.

Cat fight! I'm reading it now. :lol:!

Guest howyousawtheworld
I didn't watch Unstaged and don't really see a point in it.

I also find it kind've quite morbid that they performed in a bullfighting ring but that's a whole different subject, so.

Cat fight! I'm reading it now. :lol:!

I don't know but I find that a bit silly. I hate bullfighting as well but to be offended by the band for performing in a traditional (whether we like it or not) Spanish arena seems overly sensitive.

As far as I know, I heard the sound was fab within the arena.

I don't know but I find that a bit silly. I hate bullfighting as well but to be offended by the band for performing in a traditional (whether we like it or not) Spanish arena seems overly sensitive.

As far as I know, I heard the sound was fab within the arena.

It's not something I'm flipping out about, I just don't understand supporting that kind of thing. I'm sure it wasn't their idea, it was their people that set it up for them, but they're supporting this arena which in lieu supports what they do in that arena which I completely disagree with. But anyway, that's just me.

sadly coldplay sang paradise worse the noah and the whale

Actually, I think Charlie Fink's voice killed their version of it. It's not that his voice is bad (because I love these guys). I just don't think his vocal style fit the song at all.

^i've never liked the way chris sings that song, it just sounds weird but i liked the guy from NATW singing it :shrug:

but i love the acoustic version of this song

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZI3glnCKcc&feature=player_embedded]Coldplay Hurts Like Heaven BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge 2011[/ame]