✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay: Greatest downfall in the history of music?

Coldplay just can't win; either other people are criticizing or their fans are criticizing. Some of the comments I've read on here are not things I expected to find on Coldplaying. Since I don't know any Coldplay fans in my area :( and all I ever heard about Coldplay is negative comments, I am a little disappointed about some of these threads.

The MX album has grown on me so I enjoy it: the sound, the lyrics , but I realize some people don't like it and I respect their view. But I think some should realize that some do like the album and respect their views too.

This is just my opinion.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( I still don't understand why some people think ETIAW has terrible lyrics.

"I's rather be a coma than a full stop"- I think Chris said that it means "I don't want to die".

"I turn the music up, I got my records on

I shut the world outside until the lights come on"

- I wish I could just shut the world outside me too, never hear such meaningless negativity and just enjoy my music. 

"I's rather be a coma than a full stop"- I think Chris said that it means "I don't want to die".

- I wish I could just shut the world outside me too, never hear such meaningless negativity and just enjoy my music.

Agreed. Even if you don't like the song, the lyrics seem like classic Chris Martin lyrics to me.

A few months ago, I was just randomly playing chords on my piano. Then I realised I was playing the chords of Every teardrop is a waterfall. I was 17 years old, I've never written a song in my life, it took me a few seconds.

Conclusion: I could have written ETIAW, and that isn't a good thing. :dunce:

Plus: They didn't even write it themselves, they used the chords from another song.

Coldplay

I am disappoint :evil2:

I love ETIAW so much. Absolutely my fave song on the new record^^

A few months ago, I was just randomly playing chords on my piano. Then I realised I was playing the chords of Every teardrop is a waterfall. I was 17 years old, I've never written a song in my life, it took me a few seconds.

Errrrr... you could have been subconsciously tapping away those chords because you know the song? :blank:

Plus: They didn't even write it themselves, they used the chords from another song.

Coldplay

Eh, they borrowed chords for Talk, and I love that song. Not the greatest of arguments

Coldplay

Again though, simple as it may be, you didn't write it, Coldplay did. (use of a licensed sample aside.)

Nothing Coldplay has ever written is exceptionally complex, that's not the point.

Coldplay

That's not a very good argument, i'm terrible at the piano and I have never written a song too, but I figured out a few chords to Clocks and DAAHF, does that mean I could have written those songs?

Plus Coldplay takes inspiration from other songs; for example Talk, beginning of Square One and A message(look up the hymn "My song is love unknown")

• 4 months later...

Here's the thing: first of all I am too lazy to read all 300+ comments, so forgive me if I am repeating anything:

One cannot expect a band to go years, even decades, and write things closely similar and closely related, and those that all sound the same. I wouldn't even want Coldplay to do that. Since I discovered them and first started listening to them one month before Viva was released, I was sort of used to the whole actual Viva feel and I loved it. Everyone's a critic, I know, but I would think the boys wanted to branch out somewhere and try to see how they sound with something different?

There are some really strong tracks in MX. Up With the Birds has the best lyrics out of any of them, and UFO is a really nice track. None of them are BAD. They're just not as good, I agree. I think people are being way too harsh here. If Coldplay was on a downfall, they wouldn't be as popular anymore as they are now. Nope. They are still playing to stadiums filled with people. Actually, as I type this, they're playing to 80,000 in Paris.

I think we can all say that even though we may not agree on the new sound they have produced as a band, they are still largely talented and inspiring for what they do. I love every one of them.

I am just waiting to hear what their sixth studio album is going to sound like. I have no idea what they're going to produce after MX. I'm clueless, but eager to hear.

• 4 months later...
Here's the thing: first of all I am too lazy to read all 300+ comments, so forgive me if I am repeating anything:

One cannot expect a band to go years, even decades, and write things closely similar and closely related, and those that all sound the same. I wouldn't even want Coldplay to do that. Since I discovered them and first started listening to them one month before Viva was released, I was sort of used to the whole actual Viva feel and I loved it. Everyone's a critic, I know, but I would think the boys wanted to branch out somewhere and try to see how they sound with something different?

There are some really strong tracks in MX. Up With the Birds has the best lyrics out of any of them, and UFO is a really nice track. None of them are BAD. They're just not as good, I agree. I think people are being way too harsh here. If Coldplay was on a downfall, they wouldn't be as popular anymore as they are now. Nope. They are still playing to stadiums filled with people. Actually, as I type this, they're playing to 80,000 in Paris.

I think we can all say that even though we may not agree on the new sound they have produced as a band, they are still largely talented and inspiring for what they do. I love every one of them.

I am just waiting to hear what their sixth studio album is going to sound like. I have no idea what they're going to produce after MX. I'm clueless, but eager to hear.

That's my boy.

I just want to add that if you would see their live performance at MX tour you would go crazy with that album and i mean it.I wasn't so INTO it but after i seen the gig i just went nuts.

I think all tracks from Parachutes are brilliant and I absolutely love every teardrop is a waterfall, I think it's amazing, it makes me want to jump around and dance (well, to be honest, my dancing is jumping around like a loonatic)!! :D

I think that's all it's trying to do, a kind of song that just wants the listener to feel good inside, and personally, it succeeds. The song is excellent at what it's trying to accomplish.

This thread is ridiculous.

Queen went from this:

TO THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhiCmOe5GCw

I'm not saying I loved MX. I don't regularly listen to that album. But I know if I want to see Coldplay live, I want those songs on the setlist because the pump energy into the concert like nothing else. It is, by far, not even close to being the downfall. They've dropped a bit, imo, but I can give a lot of bands who have fallen apart. Besides LP6 will be amazing because it's coldplay, not some shit pop band we are talking about.

To be absolutely honest this is also one of my favorite songs on this album :| ...... And just because the song is different than other Coldplay songs made, that doesn't make this song absolutely horrible. I mean they probably wanted to make something different , throw something new on the table. I mean just because it's different doesn't mean it's a bad different. We all have different opinions and MX is not my favorite Coldplay album. But, change is something a lot of people are afraid of. Not all change is bad........ This is Coldplay we're talking about here. Do you really think they would make an album just to attract new fans to get rid of the old ones who have been listening to them since the start?....... I mean the whole electro rock sound was just an experiment....... Not an official document stating that the old Coldplay sound is dead time to update it.............no....................That's not the point. I mean with all the artists out there (*cough*mainstream) We are lucky to still have famous artists out there who stay true to their craft. Keep it them and keep it original. I mean I'm sorry if I may be obnoxious with this long rant, but I'm tired of seeing people who claim to be " Coldplay Fans" and they say MX was the worst album of all time. Trust me there is waaaay worse. If you were a true fan then you would like if they decide to change. But people change over time and I'm sorry change is gonna happen whether you like it or not........ Like Chris once said in an interview " As we get older we see the world change and all the crazy things that happen in the world." This is what my point is here...... Change moves us forward, makes us stronger, we grow from it, it doesn't kill you unless you let it.