✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay: Greatest downfall in the history of music?

Has any band in the world ever gone from this good

to this bad?

come on, it's just a different concept.

But yeah, I agree with you. I love the new era and I find it pretty danceable and inspiring, but when I go listen to Parachutes I just can't believe it's the same band.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand some people not liking it as a standalone song (although I personally love it), but I think a lot of naysayers will be converted once they hear it in the context of the whole LP. Remember, this is a concept album, so the specific references in the song aren't going to make complete sense until you hear it with the other songs. I mean, we still don't know a whole lot about the album (tracklist anyone?), but it's already becoming much easier to see how the song fits the whole album's theme and story.

Why on earth would people think they are the same band as when Parachutes came out? When Parachutes cam out they were a band on the rise but still hadn't made it yet. They weren't married, they were in their early 20's, no kids, less money, etc....

Now they are married, have kids, are maybe THE biggest musical act on the planet right now, are in their mid 30's, are far more technically proficient, have far more freedom from their label in terms of creativity, etc....

People change, expecting them not to is futile. Not to mention if this was the 4th carbon copy concept of Parachutes coming out now, it would be incredibly boring and old hat.

I think most people are annoyed the way they are evolving as opposed to that they are. Common misconception.

Exactly.

I liked Coldplay for their early stuff, the slightly depressing, relaxing, occasionally rocking simple but great, memorable music. Not cheery. . . pop music. :|

Coldplay always has been and always will be a pop rock band. Parachutes, whether you want to admit it or not is a pop rock album. It's not the bubblegum crap that is Katy Perry or Lady Gaga, but it is pop rock.

They might have been a pop rock band at some point, but now they're more pop and less rock. :|

They might have been a pop rock band at some point, but now they're more pop and less rock. :|

Based off what we've heard i'd be more inclined to say that MX is probably the closest to rock that they have been yet. More guitar heavy, faster beats and melodies. Yellow is the only thing really close to being rock on Parachutes.

I actually don't think that it's as terrible as some people think... sure, it's different, but so what?

I'll admit that, at first, I hated the song. But then I gave it a few more listens, and I grew to like it more. Now I'm perfectly fine with it and have no problem listening to it. It's not my absolute favorite song, but I do still like it. (:

I think most people are annoyed the way they are evolving as opposed to that they are. Common misconception.

Well, honestly, that's the way it's always going to be. Not every fan is going to like their new stuff, and can you honestly say Viva La Vida is a terrible direction for the band?

Well, honestly, that's the way it's always going to be. Not every fan is going to like their new stuff, and can you honestly say Viva La Vida is a terrible direction for the band?

Yes, because it wasn't music that fit them. I thought they experimented too far, and the music they were playing wasn't truly "them".

But please don't start arguing with that because everyone has their own opinions blah blah blah -.-

Yes, because it wasn't music that fit them. I thought they experimented too far, and the music they were playing wasn't truly "them".

Of course it fits them. They are them. You can say it doesn't fit you, but what is released today is Coldplay as they are, just not as you wish them to be.

These threads are ridiculous. People need to realize who the band are is who they are. If they're playing a style of music now you don't like, don't listen. But Coldplay is Coldplay as they have always been Coldplay. I really don't know why people can't get over this...?

And I say that because there have been plenty of bands I once listened to who I loved stuff they did and then I hated or was just neutral about their new stuff. Why do you have to all go on about it? Bands change. Depending on your perspective some get better some get worse.

Some people need to go to grief counseling or something because it's slightly ridiculous.

These threads are ridiculous. People need to realize who the band are is who they are. If they're playing a style of music now you don't like, don't listen. But Coldplay is Coldplay as they have always been Coldplay. I really don't know why people can't get over this...?

And I say that because there have been plenty of bands I once listened to who I loved stuff they did and then I hated or was just neutral about their new stuff. Why do you have to all go on about it? Bands change. Depending on your perspective some get better some get worse.

Some people need to go to grief counseling or something because it's slightly ridiculous.

AMEN

Coldplay always has been and always will be a pop rock band. Parachutes, whether you want to admit it or not is a pop rock album. It's not the bubblegum crap that is Katy Perry or Lady Gaga, but it is pop rock.

uhhhh fuck no, they are Alt. Rock, Coldplay has listed themselves under that genre, if they listed Pop Rock then okay but no Alt. Rock

These threads are ridiculous. People need to realize who the band are is who they are. If they're playing a style of music....

these are not definitely ridiculous but

yeah, tired of these moanings about etiaw, come on boys,

it's not that bad, if yo just WANT to love it and start dancing...:shifty:

Sparks is really great but ETIAW is not rubbish...

It's an anthem - no doubt. It's catchy, fun, poppy and light. It's epic. It's a great video. And that is both good and bad. I think this song was written for a number of reasons. For one, Coldplay wanted to write a summer anthem. Secondly, Coldplay wants to not be known as a sappy band who write depressing songs. Thirdly, Coldplay wants to write a song that transcends languages and countries. And it works. The only problem is that they get in their own way sometimes.

First off, maybe I'm off base, but the one thing I don't like is how the title gets in the way of the song. I guess it's too happy to be titled "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" for me. Also, it feels like they forced the title into the song at the end. It seems to stick out like a sore thumb for me towards the end, and I don't know why. The formula works in theory but it's a poppy song with a ballad title. It reminds me, in a weird way, of when I heard "Jump" by Van Halen as a kid (I know, a stretch). I liked it, but it was such a leap (pardon the pun) that it never was a song I disliked - but it also never was one I really LOVED. And at least "Jump" was appropriately titled. I feel like Chris Martin wanted to name a song "ETIAW" and found a place to sneak it in. Am I off base here?