✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay: Greatest downfall in the history of music?

The change is due to artistic progression.

Coldplay are trying to do something different from albums that have proceeded them. A big part of their efforts are now their live performances, so I wouldn't mind betting you that this song was written as an exercise in how to create a big festival song in the simplest way possible.

It really irritates me how some fans expect them to return to their earlier sounds. You will always have those records to treasure, so listen to them. Also, even if they did release something in the same vein as Parachutes, Parachutes has the massive advantage of being intertwined with memories, compared to the new songs which have only existed in your mind for a short amount of time!

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Every Tear Drop, but I do APPRECIATE the fact that Coldplay, one of the biggest bands in the world isn't just kicking back and saying "Yeah, we'll knock out a few Yellows and Talks for this album. Job done". But they're actually trying to progress and IMPROVE as musicians! That takes alot of courage and we should applaud them for it.

Standing ovation!

Maybe the Beatles should have remade "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Love Me Do" over and over and over.

It is also true that music is about time, place and where we are in our lives. I'm older than a lot of you, for sure, and I get so frustrated by my peers who are totally locked into the music they loved from ages 15-25 or so. It's like music stopped once they got settled into careers & adult life.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This song is so awful that NBC just played it as their closing credits to the US Open over images of whole tournament. You think if the song was so bad they would of chose something else. Get over it, the song is really good.

When I listen to music, I look for bands that can write songs that I don't think I'd be capable of writing if I put 100% of my effort into it. I want to hear bridges and choruses that make me think, "wow, I never thought of that... these are professionals".

I could have written this song. No problem.

So why didn't you ???

Naah, that's it with Coldplay, they are capable of pure simplicity. Seemingly effortless making great songs with minimal chords,bridges or whatever. For example, take some of those fantastic legendary Beatles songs, afterwards not that complex at all..

They make songs that will stand time and in 50 years, when you hear this song, you will instantly say, Hey , this is Coldplay and probably even remember the lyrics too..

So, ETIAW didn't started any downfall, it merely introduces another phase of evolution in the musical development of Chris and Co.

And yes, sorry for it, but i like ETiAW to the bones, it gives me a superb feeling of joy listening to it as can be said for the other new songs.

If you seriously think that ETIAW means musical progression ... sorry, but that is just ridiculous. It's not a progression, it's a deterioration compared to what every single member of the band is able to do.

They made happy songs that are more than suited for festivals before, look at VLV, it's a beautiful pop song and musically it's still a million times better than ETIAW.

I'm not saying everyone should hate the song, if it works for you, then yay, but seriously, stop trying to argue that this is progression, because it is not. Not in a million years.

So why didn't you ???

Naah, that's it with Coldplay, they are capable of pure simplicity. Seemingly effortless making great songs with minimal chords,bridges or whatever. For example, take some of those fantastic legendary Beatles songs, afterwards not that complex at all..

They make songs that will stand time and in 50 years, when you hear this song, you will instantly say, Hey , this is Coldplay and probably even remember the lyrics too..

So, ETIAW didn't started any downfall, it merely introduces another phase of evolution in the musical development of Chris and Co.

And yes, sorry for it, but i like ETiAW to the bones, it gives me a superb feeling of joy listening to it as can be said for the other new songs.

to be honest less work for more work with hands between Major Minus yes is a super feeling musical of copy and paste

If you seriously think that ETIAW means musical progression ... sorry, but that is just ridiculous. It's not a progression, it's a deterioration compared to what every single member of the band is able to do.

They made happy songs that are more than suited for festivals before, look at VLV, it's a beautiful pop song and musically it's still a million times better than ETIAW.

I'm not saying everyone should hate the song, if it works for you, then yay, but seriously, stop trying to argue that this is progression, because it is not. Not in a million years.

Agree!

• 1 month later...

I think this is very much based on opinion. I believe the complete opposite in that Coldplay are one of the few bands in the world that continue to make music of a high standard whether we like it all or not. They change direction each album, if they were to trying to replicate Parachues on every album they would have run out of ideas by now; although this is Coldplay we're talking about...

Guest howyousawtheworld
:|

what is a super feeling musical of copy and paste

Copy and Paste: The Musical

The feel good musical of the year.

With utmost respect, I think you're talking out of your backside. You're using weasel words. Anyone can say what you just said about any song, because there is no empirical way to measure "progression". What does that even mean? Progression in terms of what? Lyrical content? Melody? Drums? Bass? Message?

What really confused me is when you called Viva La Vida a good pop song and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall a bad pop song. You are trying to argue objectively but you can't do it. And just so you know, Viva La Vida has less chord changes and is less intricate than Every teardrop is.

I love both songs, but objectively, ETIAW is more complex than VLV. "Complex" meaning more chord progression and changes. The drum beat even changes in ETIAW. VLV is a very simple song. I love it, but if you're trying to argue ETIAW is objectively the worse song, you plain can't do it.

Really, all your post is saying is "I don't like ETIAW and anyone who disagrees with me is objectively wrong because ETIAW has not progressed".

With utmost respect, I think you're talking out of your backside. You're using weasel words. Anyone can say what you just said about any song, because there is no empirical way to measure "progression". What does that even mean? Progression in terms of what? Lyrical content? Melody? Drums? Bass? Message?

What really confused me is when you called Viva La Vida a good pop song and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall a bad pop song. You are trying to argue objectively but you can't do it. And just so you know, Viva La Vida has less chord changes and is less intricate than Every teardrop is.

I love both songs, but objectively, ETIAW is more complex than VLV. "Complex" meaning more chord progression and changes. The drum beat even changes in ETIAW. VLV is a very simple song. I love it, but if you're trying to argue ETIAW is objectively the worse song, you plain can't do it.

Really, all your post is saying is "I don't like ETIAW and anyone who disagrees with me is objectively wrong because ETIAW has not progressed".

I'm pretty sure she means in general, ETIAW had no progression in terms of quality and talent needed to write it. (Sorry if I misinterpreted you Imke :anxious: :lips:)

So more chord changes = better song? I know from experience that when I'm playing classical music, sometimes the simplest songs are the absolute best.

And to be honest you never really brought up any good points either, except saying "ETIAW has drum beat changes and chord progressions".

I'm pretty sure she means in general, ETIAW had no progression in terms of quality and talent needed to write it. (Sorry if I misinterpreted you Imke :anxious: :lips:)

I've seen a few people claiming they could write a song just as good as this. My advice would be to do it and make lots of money. This is a fantastic song that completely alights bars and nightclubs and parties in a way I've never seen before. From anyone. So yeah, I would recommend they go ahead and do it if they can write it.

I personally think they're just saying that because they don't like the song.

So more chord changes = better song? I know from experience that when I'm playing classical music, sometimes the simplest songs are the absolute best.

Nope. I don't think that at all. I was trying to understand what she meant by progression. She seemed to imply VLV is a masterpiece and ETIAW is crap from an objective point of view.

And to be honest you never really brought up any good points either, except saying "ETIAW has drum beat changes and chord progressions".

I wasn't trying to give an objective argument. I don't care about that. If I don't like a song, I don't go around telling people that the song is shit and it takes no talent to write it.

The reason I mentioned the complex and changing beat in the song is because I thought she was implying the song is simple and easy. It's not.

Bottom line is you can't give objective reasons as to why this song is "bad". She's only say that because she hates the song.

edit: Not to mention Jonny's guitar in ETIAW. It's off the chain! I think anyone who claims they could write that riff is talking shit.

improved technical aspects =/= progression

You can polish a turd but it still stinks.