✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay: Greatest downfall in the history of music?

*facepalm*

You don't get it do you? They will never and can never go back to the style and sound of Parachutes... They were ordinary people back then, they had never had a number 1 single, they had never had a string of 10million selling albums, they had never sold out stadums and arenas worldwide, Chris Martin had never married Gwenyth Paltrow, they were not the biggest band in the world. Everything has changed. Please tell me, after becoming the biggest band in the world, what you can do besides do the kind of things Coldplay are doing? Once you're the biggest band in the world with this amount of success, the music you made early on goes out of the window; you cannot replicate it, it'd just come across as false because you have nothing to really complain about in life like you did when you were a nobody.

1)They are not the biggest band in the world.

2)They don't have to go back to the Parachutes sound, they should write quality records like the ones in X&Y.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
Well you better pay up because I didn't get chills at all.

The new songs are mediocre, nothing that blew me away at all or even made me want to listen to the song again.

Also the reason why there were that many people is the fact that it's a festival so of course you're going to get a wide range of people.

I can say I can form an opinion on the band based on their track record. The last album was very disappointing, and the new single sucks. Also I seriously think at this point they care more about appealing to younger crowds rather than try to produce more meaningful or emotional music as they did their first albums.

But what makes their last album "very disappointing"? I think it's a fantastic album and along with AROBTTH is definitely in the top 2 albums. I don't know if you could call it a pop album but their are some great pop moments on that album and it covers more ground than any of it's predecessors.

As for the new songs - all I can say is they sound like the songs which should have been on X&Y. They sound great live, better than anything from Viva La Vida did on stage.

*facepalm*

You don't get it do you? They will never and can never go back to the style and sound of Parachutes... They were ordinary people back then, they had never had a number 1 single, they had never had a string of 10million selling albums, they had never sold out stadums and arenas worldwide, Chris Martin had never married Gwenyth Paltrow, they were not the biggest band in the world. Everything has changed. Please tell me, after becoming the biggest band in the world, what you can do besides do the kind of things Coldplay are doing? Once you're the biggest band in the world with this amount of success, the music you made early on goes out of the window; you cannot replicate it, it'd just come across as false because you have nothing to really complain about in life like you did when you were a nobody.

This is spot on. Its called progression/evolution. We cannot live in the past, it turns us into grumpy old people.

1)They are not the biggest band in the world.

2)They don't have to go back to the Parachutes sound, they should write quality records like the ones in X&Y.

1.) They are really... Name another band who's been as big as them in the past decade, with 50million records sold from four studio albums.

2.) You just made yourself a laughing stock by saying they should make another X&Y

*facepalm*

another arrogant douche coldplay lemming i see. "facepalm" are you kidding? wow you are so internet forum savvy.

i don't care what they've become, its called sticking with your roots and what made you a huge band. parachutes and AROBTTH MADE coldplay. You are saying it's impossible to stick with that mindset of writing and producing music just because they got popular? If thats the case you must not think much of coldplay, you must think they are so dumb that they just keep "evolving" out of control and just HAVE to move on. They are adult musical professionals, they are fully capable of making whatever hell music they want.

*sigh* I'm sorry if I come across as rude when I say this, but I can't help but wonder how it is that one bad song (or, even as some people are saying, one bad album) can make people think that this is Coldplay's downfall.

I understand that some of you have come to expect a lot from Coldplay, you might expect them to write revolutionary lyrics time after time in order to maintain their status as one of the biggest/best bands in the world--that's fine, you all are entitle to your own opinion, and I respect that. But the fact is that somewhere along the line, Coldplay will write a bad song or two, or perhaps even release an album that some fans will not like.

I don't think know that this isn't Coldplay's downfall, because I know that other great songs will follow ETiaW and other great albums will follow Viva. This is just a small stain on a record that most of you would otherwise find satisfactory.

You can all say what you think of this song/other songs/other albums, whether it be praising it or throwing dirt on it, but please respect Coldplay as a band. I think they've earned it, whether you're a fan of just one song, or their entire catalogue.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. No hate was intended. :)

This.

And I too am on the fence about ETIAW. I won't discredit a band based on one song.

Also, I've noticed several posters not only obliterating this single to shreds, but also denigrating this band they "used" to be fans of in various other threads, and it makes me wonder......if they aren't "fans" of the band anymore and haven't liked them since the old stuff........why do they still come around and post? Why not just fade away, go to another board of a band they actually like and share in that community? I realize you make friends on boards, but thanks to the wonderful world of the internet and social networking, there are other ways to stay tied to your friends you have acquired through message boards.

I used to love Dave Matthews, but I haven't liked any of their albums after "Before These Crowded Streets." But, I don't feel it necessary to go to fansites and proclaim my dislike of their newer albums. Nope, I just stopped buying their albums, stopped posting on DMB boards, and started posting on boards of bands I actually liked.

*shrugs*

ETA: If and when I tire of Coldplay I probably will never come and post anymore because there will be no point. I will not like their music anymore and, therefore, feel I have nothing else to add.

1.) They are really... Name another band who's been as big as them in the past decade, with 50million records sold from four studio albums.

2.) You just made yourself a laughing stock by saying they should make another X&Y

1)This is the biggest band in the world

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4s&feature=related]YouTube - ‪U2 Where The Streets Have No Name Live At Slane Castle‬‏[/ame]

@ 51 YEARS OLD BONO VOX STILL A GOD AND THEY STILL THE BEST AND BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRFwlFU67ro]YouTube - ‪U2 360 - Where the Streets Have no Name live at the Rose Bowl (HD)‬‏[/ame]

2) I haven't said they should make another x&y :rolleyes:

This.

And I too am on the fence about ETIAW. I won't discredit a band based on one song.

Also, I've noticed several posters not only obliterating this single to shreds, but also denigrating this band they "used" to be fans of in various other threads, and it makes me wonder......if they aren't "fans" of the band anymore and haven't liked them since the old stuff........why do they still come around and post? Why not just fade away, go to another board of a band they actually like and share in that community? I realize you make friends on boards, but thanks to the wonderful world of the internet and social networking, there are other ways to stay tied to your friends you have acquired through message boards.

I used to love Dave Matthews, but I haven't liked any of their albums after "Before These Crowded Streets." But, I don't feel it necessary to go to fansites and proclaim my dislike of their newer albums. Nope, I just stopped buying their albums, stopped posting on DMB boards, and started posting on boards of bands I actually liked.

*shrugs*

ETA: If and when I tire of Coldplay I probably will never come and post anymore because there will be no point. I will not like their music anymore and, therefore, feel I have nothing else to add.

+1

Actually Muse has sold more than them, just saying....

Coldplay should never make another album that look in anyway like the other.

I didn't like ETIAW that much but didn't hate it either, Cartoon Hearts is actually awesome!!!

LP5, 6, 7, 8; 9; 10 .... No album should be like another one because it's Coldplay and Coldplay=change, and if one song of the album isn't great it doesn't mean the whole album is shit.

But what makes their last album "very disappointing"? I think it's a fantastic album and along with AROBTTH is definitely in the top 2 albums. I don't know if you could call it a pop album but their are some great pop moments on that album and it covers more ground than any of it's predecessors.

As for the new songs - all I can say is they sound like the songs which should have been on X&Y. They sound great live, better than anything from Viva La Vida did on stage.

What makes it disappointing is the overall sound of the album. It's all over the place. There is nothing that holds the album together to sound as a combined unit. Also the overall sounds of the songs are too much. They have too many instruments going on at the same time. Also the fact that they had potentially great songs that they butchered. 42 and Death and All His Friends could've been really amazing songs because their first parts on the piano maybe one of the most beautiful melodies, chords that the band has written. But as the song progresses the song just gets bad and tries to be something different that doesn't even fit the song itself. You can even tell on Death and All His Friends that they copied a previous recording and tried to tie it together towards the end.

Once again... Less is more for the band, but this one they just added more and more and more. Also not to mention it feels that a lot of the songs are trying to be these big anthems (VLV, Lovers in Japan, Life in Technicolor, 42).

The new songs to be honest I find pretty mediocre and boring. I'll have to listen to the studio versions to fully judge, but from what I've heard there's nothing too special or hooks. Like to be honest of all those new songs I only listened to them once.

another arrogant douche coldplay lemming i see. "facepalm" are you kidding? wow you are so internet forum savvy.

i don't care what they've become, its called sticking with your roots and what made you a huge band. parachutes and AROBTTH MADE coldplay. You are saying it's impossible to stick with that mindset of writing and producing music just because they got popular? If thats the case you must not think much of coldplay, you must think they are so dumb that they just keep "evolving" out of control and just HAVE to move on. They are adult musical professionals, they are fully capable of making whatever hell music they want.

I'm being realistic. They aren't normal anymore, they're in one of the biggest bands in the world... Back when Parachutes came out, you could have just seen them walking down the street. Now, no chance. They're world famous and cannot relate to the stuff they were going through back then anymore.

1)This is the biggest band in the world

@ 51 YEARS OLD BONO VOX STILL A GOD AND THEY STILL THE BEST AND BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD

YouTube - ‪U2 360 - Where the Streets Have no Name live at the Rose Bowl (HD)‬‏

2) I haven't said they should make another x&y :rolleyes:

Coldplay have sold more since 2000 than U2 have. It's fact, not opinion. Coldplay are bigger at the minute than U2 are, despite U2 being the bigger band overall. Using your logic, The Beatles are still the biggest band in the world.

And oh stop lying, you did say they should make another album like X&Y.

Actually Muse has sold more than them, just saying....

Muse have sold over 10million units, Coldplay have sold over 50million. I'll let some whiz kid do the maths.

Oh and btw I'm a HUGE Muse fan, they're like my second favourite band and I like them a lot more than Coldplay, so I'm not just saying that to try and say Coldplay are better, I'm stating a fact.

Guest howyousawtheworld
What makes it disappointing is the overall sound of the album. It's all over the place. There is nothing that holds the album together to sound as a combined unit. Also the overall sounds of the songs are too much. They have too many instruments going on at the same time. Also the fact that they had potentially great songs that they butchered. 42 and Death and All His Friends could've been really amazing songs because their first parts on the piano maybe one of the most beautiful melodies, chords that the band has written. But as the song progresses the song just gets bad and tries to be something different that doesn't even fit the song itself. You can even tell on Death and All His Friends that they copied a previous recording and tried to tie it together towards the end.

Once again... Less is more for the band, but this one they just added more and more and more. Also not to mention it feels that a lot of the songs are trying to be these big anthems (VLV, Lovers in Japan, Life in Technicolor, 42).

The new songs to be honest I find pretty mediocre and boring. I'll have to listen to the studio versions to fully judge, but from what I've heard there's nothing too special or hooks. Like to be honest of all those new songs I only listened to them once.

I don't think there's anything wrong with big anthems. Of course I wouldn't want a whole album full of stadium anthems but this is Coldplay at the end of the day. I think Death and All His Friends is fantastic but unlike you I find the first part of 42 rather boring and uninspiring. I genuinely feel that they are at their best when the songs get going half way through on such tracks. I also feel Violet Hill, Cemeteries of London are two of the best songs they've ever produced. It's deliberately big music no doubt about it but it's big music done well. That's something that comes naturally to them, something that doesn't show so well on other bands attempts to create big good music like Kings of Leon and The Killers. Kings of Leon's efforts are just embarrassing actually.

If you'd have even read the post I mentioned it in you'd see it's very much relevant to the point I was making. Now stop jumping to conclusions about its relevance and actually read the post I brought sales up in.

I read it. It's still very weak to point out greatness bigger than U2's just because they have sold more for the past decade. So what? U2 are bigger than Coldplay not because of album sales, but because of many other factors (no I'm no U2 fan) and Coldplay still have a long way to go before being called bigger than U2.

I don't think there's anything wrong with big anthems. Of course I wouldn't want a whole album full of stadium anthems but this is Coldplay at the end of the day. I think Death and All His Friends is fantastic but unlike you I find the first part of 42 rather boring and uninspiring. I genuinely feel that they are at their best when the songs get going half way through on such tracks. I also feel Violet Hill, Cemeteries of London are two of the best songs they've ever produced. It's deliberately big music no doubt about it but it's big music done well. That's something that comes naturally to them, something that doesn't show so well on other bands attempts to create big good music like Kings of Leon and The Killers. Kings of Leon's efforts are just embarrassing actually.

Violet Hill is a terrible song... honestly one of my least favorite songs by the band.

I just feel the band tries too hard to make these big anthem songs and it sort of doesn't feel natural. Also as someone else posted around here I feel there's too many people in the creative process. It should just be the band and then see what happens from there.

To be honest I don't like Eno's influence in the band at all.

I read it. It's still very weak to point out greatness bigger than U2's just because they have sold more for the past decade. So what? U2 are bigger than Coldplay not because of album sales, but because of many other factors (no I'm no U2 fan) and Coldplay still have a long way to go before being called bigger than U2.

I'm not trying to debate who's the bigger band... This is getting off topic considering what my original point was. And my point with saying Coldplay are the biggest is that they're the biggest 'current' band. And how you define that is entirely up to you, but I say Coldplay is more of a current band than U2 are. And again, I prefer U2 to Coldplay by some distance, so it's not me being a Coldplay fan, refusing to accept that anyone is better.

It's not biased if you're drawing your statements from fact, which is what I'm doing. If I were being biased I'd have agreed with the guy who said Muse had sold more, because I'm a much bigger Muse fan. And I'd have agreed with the people saying U2 are the more successful band currently, because again I said I'm a much bigger U2 fan.