✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What does "Major Minus" MEAN?

Brent

So I'm wondering, since we seem to think this is going to be the title track and everything: What does "Major Minus" mean as a title? Am I missing something here?

It sounds kind of like a constellation of some kind, and that's what I think of when I hear it. But seeing their jackets that said "Major Minus Media..."

I don't know. Any thoughts? It makes no sense to me and it's been driving me up a wall! :shocked2:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm wondering, since we seem to think this is going to be the title track and everything: What does "Major Minus" mean as a title? Am I missing something here?

It sounds kind of like a constellation of some kind, and that's what I think of when I hear it. But seeing their jackets that said "Major Minus Media..."

I don't know. Any thoughts? It makes no sense to me and it's been driving me up a wall! :shocked2:

I think you're thinking of a constellation because they sometimes include "major" or "minor" in their names to distinguish them from similar constellations of different sizes. :D I'm not sure what it means, but it's sure interesting. I can't wait for some interviews about all these songs.

I do not know the answer to the question in the name of this thread. At first I thought of Major Minor (music can be written in major or minor), but then I realize that the title is Major Minus.

If something has a disadvantage, it can be said to be a Minus. Maybe something has several disadvantages = minuses - what is the Major Minus? I don't know - just letting my thoughts flow.

I do not know the answer to the question in the name of this thread. At first I thought of Major Minor (music can be written in major or minor), but then I realize that the title is Major Minus.

If something has a disadvantage, it can be said to be a Minus. Maybe something has several disadvantages = minuses - what is the Major Minus? I don't know - just letting my thoughts flow.

So I guess it could be like a "BIG minus." Like something that totally sucks.

I've been thinking about it for a long time and I just want it to make sense!

^ hahahahh You're not the only one.

My opinion, like I posted on the other thread, is that it relates with death lurking by, and the narrator knows that. Knowing that danger, that caution is necessary - though death is unavoidable -, it's just them (narrator+interlocutor) against the world.

That knowledge of unavoidable and iminent death is the Major Minus.

Ok, I think I stretched out a lil bit there. Any better ideas, PLEASE? hahahahah

My opinion, like I posted on the other thread, is that it relates with death lurking by, and the narrator knows that. Knowing that danger, that caution is necessary - though death is unavoidable -, it's just them (narrator+interlocutor) against the world.

Ok, I think I stretched out a lil bit there. Any better ideas, PLEASE? hahahahah

:lol: I had almost that exact same interpretation on another thread!

:lol: I had almost that exact same interpretation on another thread!

Yeah, I saw something akin, and I used a little of your idea - and credited it in the other thread :) - to complete what I had in mind since they release the single on Friday, when I heard ETIAW for 3 hours straight.

So is that referring to the lyrics?

I had a completely different interpretation, but yours sounds more plausible.

Thanks!

My thought is that the song is about Chris's life now that he's a rock star. Sure he got his dream, but the major minus to is is that he's always being watched. If he says the wrong thing the major minus media reports it. "One eye watching you, and one eye on what you do so be careful who t is you're talking to" if he's seen talking to another woman suddenly the tabloids are saying he's cheating on his wife. Ya know? The media always throws things out of proportion. I really feel like this song is about the downside of fame.

"so be careful cause nothing they say is true" again with the tabloids blowing things completely out of the water.

I could be completely wrong though haha

^That kind of makes sense!

If that's the case, I'll bet he wrote it while all those tabloids were making up crap that his marriage was on the rocks.

Yeah that's what the song reminded me of! I remember hearing about that and I was just thinking "there's no way, it's gotta be fake"

But yeah, that's what the song reminds me of

I think it major, doesn't mean big here but happy like the French "majeur". Happy but with a minus, you can be happy, but you're being watched by "them" and if you don't make up to their standards they'll make sure you won't be happy.

It's like 1984 by George Orwell. At least that's point of view...

If it really is about media following him and spreading rumours about cheating and so on, the line should have been changed to:

They got one eye watching you

And one on what you do

So be careful who it is you're trying to screw

:shocked2:

It's about the time Jonny went to a sheep farm and he had to be careful.

hilarious! I had forgotten this story.

BTW, I think it is about whatever you want it to be.

Being that the case, I think it is about watching excessively someone you love. That could be something good (Major) and at the same time bad (Minus).

hilarious! I had forgotten this story.

BTW, I think it is about whatever you want it to be.

Being that the case, I think it is about watching excessively someone you love. That could be something good (Major) and at the same time bad (Minus).

Lol what story? haha

This song is one of most direct songs of coldplay...Major Minus Media is about medias in the world that bring us such a fake reality making us blind and hide the truth from us , trust me this is something soo deep that coldplay tries to tell us. It says.. they got one eye watching you../who are they? Who is this one eye...to not be long do a short research see the 1 dollar pyramid and the one eye and do a research see what that means...u can read what Lady Diana have said to her friend about these "chrocodiles" before she died, friends open up your eyes and try to glow in the dark in time of riot that will soon appear ....

I didnt want to make it so long but trust me after u do a small research about what i said u ll gonna find all the meaning of the Viva la Vida and the new tracks especialy Major Minus

Enjoy the beautiful songs that coldplay brings us and try to catch the messages they give us cause they do really have a BIG meaning and are big warrnings to us