✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP5 Comparison

danmets21

I don't know what's worse, setting your expectations too low to where you're not willing to accept the songs for being the decent pieces of work they really are, or setting them too high to where you're disappointed when it's not up to par with what you thought.

Let me say this: Don't judge the album already. Although we can almost guarantee some songs, the thing isn't set in stone and we have no idea what they have to offer. Believe it or not, Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown and POC might be the worst ones from the album because there are ten tracks we haven't heard yet (16 in all) and we have no idea what they might be saving.

Let me also say this: Do you really think Coldplay would play all of their good new songs at the festivals for everyone to hear? I don't think so. I think they'd play ones that get people excited about the new album, and then they stun us with a great hit.

Now here's my personal input on some of the new songs (Yes, it's a lot of writing, but please read through, you'll totally understand what I'm trying to say):

Charlie Brown: It's a great song, minus any chorus. But I think they've managed to make the song go further without a chorus. I think it's obvious that the song is carried on by the guitar riff. The song structure is not orthodox by any means, and being a band like Coldplay, letting music without a chorus into the album was probably taken into account pretty far back. Instead the song replaces spots for two choruses with two main verses, the first main verse being, "Light a fire, light a spark, light a fire a flame in my heart" and the second one being "All of the boys, all of the girls, all of the madness in the world..." I personally think it's a far more creative outlet, and although there isn't any 'catchy chorus' to 'make the song feel complete', I think the two verses are catchy as they stand. Mind you, the 'Whoa-oa-oa-oa's" in Viva La Vida (sung by Will Champion) are the most popular part of the song, and that's not part of the chorus. In Charlie Brown, I think the guitar completes it for me. The riff is so mesmerizing and euphoric. For some weird sentimental reason, it gives me this feeling of hope and emotion that I can't explain in words. I'm sad you don't see it the way I do. I truly think it's a great tune.

Princess Of China: This is by far my favorite so far. I think it's the synth-scream that does it for me in the beginning. I love how the bass drums kick in and Chris finishes his last lyric in the first verse (speculated to be 'Pots of gold'), the cymbal crashes and immediately Guy's bass swoops into transfix my pleasure senses as the awesome synth-scream plays over it seamlessly. Once he finishes those couple verses that are intricately mixed with Jonny's descending, sparkly notes, the previous chord progression lifts abruptly into the soaring main verse "Could have been a princess I'd be the king, could have had a castle and wore a ring but no!!" And he drifts off into the "lalalalalala's" as an atmospheric tack-piano plays in the background. After that it goes into the synthy crescendo for 8 bars that ultimately culminates into an explosion of sound as Will compliments the synth-scream in the background with "whoa!! whoa whoa whoa whoa!!" and after those four bars end, the chord progression changes but STILL compliments the synth-scream riff magnificently! It's such an intricate song and it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it! AND THE QUALITY ON THE VIDEOS SUCK!!!! Imagine when it'll come out in studio version!!

Hurts Like Heaven: Jonny owns this song, hands down. The song is so simplistic (it's basically only two chords), but Coldplay still finds ways of making it completely epic. After MX (which doesn't do much for me personally :P ), Chris's curtain of lyrical content falls down over the music with a rainstorm of rebellious graffiti references that keep the beat of the song just as well as Jonny's hammering muffled-powerchords. The drum beat keeps a simple New Wave beat and the Bass adds the necessary texture to the soundscape (like most songs). Suddenly, the first verses end and the two line chorus comes in, "Yeah you, use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven," and BAM! The song is immersed in a 16 measure guitar solo that -to contrast with the title- sounds ohhh so good like heaven!! Jonny owns those last eight measures with a glittering descending almost-arpeggio that makes me want to scream out in happiness! The song then continues its fast paced ways until it stops for the first main verse, "Yes I feel a little bit nervous, yes I feel nervous and I cannot relax" as the synthesizers glitter just like Jonny's guitar until it explodes into the 'concrete canvas' and 'spray can soul' verse. The song continues through more of Coldplay's awesome 'Whoas!!' in a second main verse, and then repeats the chorus a couple times before it ends in a shower of glimmering synths and guitars that slowly quiet down. This is by far the happiest Coldplay song ever released.

And those are my favorite songs they've released! ETIAW, Major Minus and UATW are good, but they just don't match up to the other songs as well. Major Minus will make it on the album, ETIAW has a good chance of making it but I don't UATW does. UATW is the one I'm least excited for. It's anticlimactic and mawkish.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UATW is the one I'm least excited for. It's anticlimactic and mawkish.

Waaaah... I totally agree with your posting about PoC, CB and HLH....but Us against the world is beautiful for me. Hopefully it will be on the album! If not, I will find a way to punish them! :thinking::P

I don't know what's worse, setting your expectations too low to where you're not willing to accept the songs for being the decent pieces of work they really are, or setting them too high to where you're disappointed when it's not up to par with what you thought.

Let me say this: Don't judge the album already. Although we can almost guarantee some songs, the thing isn't set in stone and we have no idea what they have to offer. Believe it or not, Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown and POC might be the worst ones from the album because there are ten tracks we haven't heard yet (16 in all) and we have no idea what they might be saving.

Let me also say this: Do you really think Coldplay would play all of their good new songs at the festivals for everyone to hear? I don't think so. I think they'd play ones that get people excited about the new album, and then they stun us with a great hit.

Now here's my personal input on some of the new songs (Yes, it's a lot of writing, but please read through, you'll totally understand what I'm trying to say):

Charlie Brown: It's a great song, minus any chorus. But I think they've managed to make the song go further without a chorus. I think it's obvious that the song is carried on by the guitar riff. The song structure is not orthodox by any means, and being a band like Coldplay, letting music without a chorus into the album was probably taken into account pretty far back. Instead the song replaces spots for two choruses with two main verses, the first main verse being, "Light a fire, light a spark, light a fire a flame in my heart" and the second one being "All of the boys, all of the girls, all of the madness in the world..." I personally think it's a far more creative outlet, and although there isn't any 'catchy chorus' to 'make the song feel complete', I think the two verses are catchy as they stand. Mind you, the 'Whoa-oa-oa-oa's" in Viva La Vida (sung by Will Champion) are the most popular part of the song, and that's not part of the chorus. In Charlie Brown, I think the guitar completes it for me. The riff is so mesmerizing and euphoric. For some weird sentimental reason, it gives me this feeling of hope and emotion that I can't explain in words. I'm sad you don't see it the way I do. I truly think it's a great tune.

Princess Of China: This is by far my favorite so far. I think it's the synth-scream that does it for me in the beginning. I love how the bass drums kick in and Chris finishes his last lyric in the first verse (speculated to be 'Pots of gold'), the cymbal crashes and immediately Guy's bass swoops into transfix my pleasure senses as the awesome synth-scream plays over it seamlessly. Once he finishes those couple verses that are intricately mixed with Jonny's descending, sparkly notes, the previous chord progression lifts abruptly into the soaring main verse "Could have been a princess I'd be the king, could have had a castle and wore a ring but no!!" And he drifts off into the "lalalalalala's" as an atmospheric tack-piano plays in the background. After that it goes into the synthy crescendo for 8 bars that ultimately culminates into an explosion of sound as Will compliments the synth-scream in the background with "whoa!! whoa whoa whoa whoa!!" and after those four bars end, the chord progression changes but STILL compliments the synth-scream riff magnificently! It's such an intricate song and it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it! AND THE QUALITY ON THE VIDEOS SUCK!!!! Imagine when it'll come out in studio version!!

Hurts Like Heaven: Jonny owns this song, hands down. The song is so simplistic (it's basically only two chords), but Coldplay still finds ways of making it completely epic. After MX (which doesn't do much for me personally :P ), Chris's curtain of lyrical content falls down over the music with a rainstorm of rebellious graffiti references that keep the beat of the song just as well as Jonny's hammering muffled-powerchords. The drum beat keeps a simple New Wave beat and the Bass adds the necessary texture to the soundscape (like most songs). Suddenly, the first verses end and the two line chorus comes in, "Yeah you, use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven," and BAM! The song is immersed in a 16 measure guitar solo that -to contrast with the title- sounds ohhh so good like heaven!! Jonny owns those last eight measures with a glittering descending almost-arpeggio that makes me want to scream out in happiness! The song then continues its fast paced ways until it stops for the first main verse, "Yes I feel a little bit nervous, yes I feel nervous and I cannot relax" as the synthesizers glitter just like Jonny's guitar until it explodes into the 'concrete canvas' and 'spray can soul' verse. The song continues through more of Coldplay's awesome 'Whoas!!' in a second main verse, and then repeats the chorus a couple times before it ends in a shower of glimmering synths and guitars that slowly quiet down. This is by far the happiest Coldplay song ever released.

And those are my favorite songs they've released! ETIAW, Major Minus and UATW are good, but they just don't match up to the other songs as well. Major Minus will make it on the album, ETIAW has a good chance of making it but I don't UATW does. UATW is the one I'm least excited for. It's anticlimactic and mawkish.

This is the longest post I have ever seen!!!!

Spoiler'd for length :P

Agreed about Princess of China. The lyrics aren't the best but THAT. SYNTH. SCREAM. :dazzled:

It's just an all-around epic song

Happier than LiTii???

Waaaah... I totally agree with your posting about PoC, CB and HLH....but Us against the world is beautiful for me. Hopefully it will be on the album! If not, I will find a way to punish them! :thinking::P

It's still a good song! But to me it's a disadvantaged cousin to Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground and Till Kingdom Come. The lyrics also pale in comparison to those songs.

This is the longest post I have ever seen!!!!

I know right!? I'm just super excited :D

Spoiler'd for length :P

Agreed about Princess of China. The lyrics aren't the best but THAT. SYNTH. SCREAM. :dazzled:

PoC is probably the coolest of the new songs that they've written so far. I'm so excited for everything they do next! I so hope it's on the album!!!!!!

Happier than LiTii???

TEN TIMES HAPPIER!!!!!!!!

THIS.

The lyrics of UATW aren't as good as the ones of Now my feet won't touch the ground and Til Kingdom Comes?! For me, UATW is one of the best Coldplay songs ever written with one of the best lyrics ever. :)

But, as you know, I totally agree with regard to your assessment of PoC, CB, HLH. ;) Love these songs so much!

I'm going to go out on the limb and make the comparison to U2...

Parachutes, AROBTTH, and X&Y all, to me, represent U2's Boy, October, and War eras. With the change of pace in Viva, Coldplay got into the same realm U2 did with The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree eras (especially since they are all produced by Eno). Up until this point, the albums, no matter what era, still have the same feel, but I feel LP5 will take the dramatic turn in sound like Achtung Baby did. It will be a change of pace, and almost a turn off to some original fans, but nonetheless a great album. And from what we've seen, I've noticed the similarity in that industrial, synthy, dance kinda sounds in the songs like how Achtung Baby did.

Don't get me wrong, I still think LP5 will be great.... I just had this little comparison pop into my head

Exactly in which second is the synth scream you talk about?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrhPePOih9E]Coldplay - Princess of China - YouTube[/ame]

I'm going to go out on the limb and make the comparison to U2...

Parachutes, AROBTTH, and X&Y all, to me, represent U2's Boy, October, and War eras. With the change of pace in Viva, Coldplay got into the same realm U2 did with The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree eras (especially since they are all produced by Eno). Up until this point, the albums, no matter what era, still have the same feel, but I feel LP5 will take the dramatic turn in sound like Achtung Baby did. It will be a change of pace, and almost a turn off to some original fans, but nonetheless a great album. And from what we've seen, I've noticed the similarity in that industrial, synthy, dance kinda sounds in the songs like how Achtung Baby did.

Don't get me wrong, I still think LP5 will be great.... I just had this little comparison pop into my head

OMG I have been thinking the SAME THING!!!!

Well, "bass". With the version we have you cant really hear anything! :laugh3:

This is the best fixed version of it :lol: but Guy must lower the bass a bit anyway :P

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrhPePOih9E]Coldplay - Princess of China - YouTube[/ame]