✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Recorded instrumental version of Charlie Brown on Sky Sports

R_Burns

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It clearly is - there's no need to ask the oracle. They wouldn't release it if weren't - or sky 1 has a lawsuit on its hands.

Exactly. There's absolutely no question about it.

There's absolutely no way Sky would have used a bootlegged version otherwise EMI would whack a whopping great lawsuit on them.

Coldplay/EMI have obviously struck a deal with Sky for its use

Exactly. There's absolutely no question about it.

There's absolutely no way Sky would have used a bootlegged version otherwise EMI would whack a whopping great lawsuit on them.

Coldplay/EMI have obviously struck a deal with Sky for its use

It makes me sad. I remember the days when the old Coldplay wouldn't let corporations use their music for commercials. They turned down million dollar contracts from big stores to use Don't Panic, Trouble and Yellow. And now. Well. I know it's not the whole song. Like it's no lyrics. But it makes me wonder. What ever happened to 'not selling the meaning of the song'? I don't like this. Not one bit. And I'm going to wait until the album comes out before i hear Charlie Brown. Plus, it's just not the same without the lyrics.

Sorry to tell you they're using a version with lyrics on Sky too.

Yeah, I agree TBH, but I'm not gonna get into it at the risk of sparking another debate. But I feel a lot of this change in marketing techniques comes from Dave Holmes, who after reading that RS article, I find myself not liking at all.

It's a commercial for a television station promoting their new/returning shows, not an advert for Coke. I don't see a problem here.

That's not QUITE bad then. I wasn't aware. Thank you for the info though. (: But I still wouldn't expect it from them. It's just the association and commercial-ality of it I guess. Whenever I heard it after the Sky Sports thing I wouldn't think "what's this song really about?" I'd think "this reminds me of that advertisement for the news network" and it just plain shouldn't be that way. You know what I mean? It's your FIRST impression of the 'real' version, it makes a big difference. And it's not like they need more money or more people to hear their music. They're one of the biggest bands in the world as it is. They're not some talent indie band looking for a nice break. That's what Sky Sports should be using. I just don't see the point.

Sorry to tell you they're using a version with lyrics on Sky too.

Yeah, I agree TBH, but I'm not gonna get into it at the risk of sparking another debate. But I feel a lot of this change in marketing techniques comes from Dave Holmes, who after reading that RS article, I find myself not liking at all.

Damn. I'm tempted to listen. :| But I won't. And that's good thinking, I should've realized that. When did he start marketing for the band? Recently? I think he needs to goooo... :P

I think the boys have pretty well established and conducted themselves in such a way that I really doubt there'd be any chance of them being talked into doing anything that they really didn't agree with or want to do (be that musically, promotionally, personally, or whatever).

I'll be pre-emptive here, because I know that statement could be refuted by the comment Dave Holmes made in the Billboard article where he mentioned that in the beginning, the band weren't entirely keen on playing new songs on the festival runs, but Jonny turned around and said it was the best thing they could have done a few paragraphs later. I get that playing brand new, unreleased songs live is different to using a song in an advert, but my point is that I can't see that anything they've done to promote or build anticipation for this next album has involved anything that could be considered against their character/nature, nor has it been done against their will.

This possibly might be a double post, so I apologise if that's the case.

FY42YC, Coldplay songs have been used many times though for different campaigns and adverts -- we had "Viva La Vida" for iTunes; someone previously mentioned that "Life In Technicolor" was used on SkySports a few years back; I've seen "Clocks" used in TV adverts for the Australian spring racing carnival -- and they're only a few examples. So having a song used like this isn't exactly new. I understand where you're coming from, though, and I totally appreciate your opinion, I'm just not entirely sure why this is a problem now when the only difference is that we haven't heard a complete studio version?

This possibly might be a double post, so I apologise if that's the case.

FY42YC, Coldplay songs have been used many times though for different campaigns and adverts -- we had "Viva La Vida" for iTunes; someone previously mentioned that "Life In Technicolor" was used on SkySports a few years back; I've seen "Clocks" used in TV adverts for the Australian spring racing carnival -- and they're only a few examples. So having a song used like this isn't exactly new. I understand where you're coming from, though, and I totally appreciate your opinion, I'm just not entirely sure why this is a problem now when the only difference is that we haven't heard a complete studio version?

This all true. Good points. But the thing for me that's different compared with those other situations is. It's the FIRST time we're hearing the song as the studio version. Partial or not. We shouldn't be hearing what could potentially be the best/one of the best songs from the new album on some tv commercial first. Because first impressions are important. And like I said before. if the first time us fans hear it on some advertisement. What are we more likely to think? "This song is so deep/interesting/awesome I wonder what it's about, how it fits into the MX concept, etc. (as the way it should be) or "This song is so catchy and commercial, I always remember that Sky Sports ad when I hear it. Maybe I should watch that sometime. What were they saying on it again? . The first time I listened to parts (not the whole songs) of Shiver and Trouble I was playing Castlevania: SotN for remembering the first impression example. And the point I'm trying to make is. There's a pseudo-commercial undertone when the first time you hear a new song and in fact the only place you can hear it for a month or more is some advertisement. I know it's just pieces. But I'm just saying. That's the way I look at it is all. I know everyone doesn't agree.

Okay, fair enough. I suppose that's where we differ then, because I'm not going to be thinking about the SkyOne ad whilst I listen to CB. I don't think of Grey's Anatomy when I listen to "Death & All His Friends," and for a little while there, that was the only version we had.

Still, I'll appreciate your view point and just say it's a shame if that's all you'll be thinking about once you hear the full-length version.

Okay, fair enough. I suppose that's where we differ then, because I'm not going to be thinking about the SkyOne ad whilst I listen to CB. I don't think of Grey's Anatomy when I listen to "Death & All His Friends," and for a little while there, that was the only version we had.

Still, I'll appreciate your view point and just say it's a shame if that's all you'll be thinking about once you hear the full-length version.

Oh. Maybe I'm just weird then. idk. :P Thank you. (: And I won't. I'm not going to listen to the Sky Sports ads at all. I am glad to hear it's really amazing though. Even better than the live version I'm assuming. Which is awesome!

Oh, why would they do that? I don't want to complain about hearing a new Coldplay song, but why the fuck do Sky fucking Drama get the song, and not only that, get to cut it to pieces, before we do? Priorities all mixed up there, that is not why I'm a fan of this band. I'm disgusted.

Does anyone remember when I said I didn't really care for Charlie Brown? Well if you do, SCRATCH THAT! This is my new favorite Coldplay song! It has grown on me... :)

Yes I remember that because I think I agreed with you. But now, after listening the 1 min clip... just look at my avatar! haha

My apologies if someone said this already, but is there no way that could be a live take. If not the studio and live version are nearly indistinguishable. Which should shut up all the fools who think coldplay no longer make music that transfers seamlessly live.

When they did this song live Chris' vocals sounded very Win-Butler-y, which lead to those weirdly harsh comparisons in that RS review. But this studio version sounds really different; it's soothing and cathartic whereas the live renditions sounded kind of angsty (especially with the lyrics having very strong drug ties). In any case, this song is fantastic. Now if they can only make Hurts Like Heaven sound significantly less like All My Friends.

Oh, why would they do that? I don't want to complain about hearing a new Coldplay song, but why the fuck do Sky fucking Drama get the song, and not only that, get to cut it to pieces, before we do? Priorities all mixed up there, that is not why I'm a fan of this band. I'm disgusted.

have to say I agree that putting it on an ad before its even released wreaks of bad taste. Dunno who okayed that.

I also agree with your taste in football club

When they did this song live Chris' vocals sounded very Win-Butler-y, which lead to those weirdly harsh comparisons in that RS review. But this studio version sounds really different; it's soothing and cathartic whereas the live renditions sounded kind of angsty (especially with the lyrics having very strong drug ties). In any case, this song is fantastic. Now if they can only make Hurts Like Heaven sound significantly less like All My Friends.

how does Charlie brown have drug ties?????????????? Where did you get that from??