✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Recorded instrumental version of Charlie Brown on Sky Sports

R_Burns

Okay, I'm going to tell you all right now that Chris Martin, father of two and lead singer of the most innocent band in the world is NOT talking about drugs. Are you guys actually going to act like those lines mean drugs? Maybe when done by someone who raps or does hard rock...but coldplay?

Guys, lyrics like those only connect to drugs in a context. And that context is created by the band. Do you think in a song where Chris Martin is essentially saying, I'm going to be happy like a dork even if you laugh at me, that he would be talking about drugs? This song, once called cartoon heart, is about beating those who smash your heart into smithereens. Then reacting to it by being a bright red rose come busting up concrete.

It's not about drugs. Also realize the lost boys are from peter pan (like the crocodiles of major minus) and they're essentially kids who don't grow up and retain their youthful spirit. They aren't offering anyone drugs. There are many more significant emotional things that set one free. Like perspective. If you think he smoked a spliff then you need to remember who coldplay are. I'm not saying they're angels who have never done drugs. I'm saying that if you're going to suggest that and use the word strong, have more evidence then that. Chris Martin writes uplifting songs. Hes to sweet (and smart) to suggest using drugs like this.

Come on guys...

Bad, Running To Stand Still? I mean, I know Adam had some problems in the past but just because you're writing about drugs doesn't mean you're supporting the use of them.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blank - which lyrics in Teardrop are you talking about?

Well, I don't know exactly :P

The whole song to me is just kind of impressionistic, you know? It doesn't strike me as a song that's actually about something, it just kind of captures and evokes strong emotions. That's what I thought footy was saying when he said Chris uses lyrics that have a "meaningless energy." Stuff like "every sermon is a symphony and every tear is a waterfall"--it doesn't really mean anything to me when it's written out like that. But when Chris Martin sings it, it evokes something in me. And I thought that was the point that footy was trying to make--Charlie Brown might not really "mean" anything; it's lyrics might not be "about" anything. Chris may have chosen those words simply because they have an evocative energy to them that fits the song. And the more I think about it, the more I think that might be the case.

Okay, I'm going to tell you all right now that Chris Martin, father of two and lead singer of the most innocent band in the world is NOT talking about drugs. Are you guys actually going to act like those lines mean drugs? Maybe when done by someone who raps or does hard rock...but coldplay?

Guys, lyrics like those only connect to drugs in a context. And that context is created by the band. Do you think in a song where Chris Martin is essentially saying, I'm going to be happy like a dork even if you laugh at me, that he would be talking about drugs? This song, once called cartoon heart, is about beating those who smash your heart into smithereens. Then reacting to it by being a bright red rose come busting up concrete.

It's not about drugs. Also realize the lost boys are from peter pan (like the crocodiles of major minus) and they're essentially kids who don't grow up and retain their youthful spirit. They aren't offering anyone drugs. There are many more significant emotional things that set one free. Like perspective. If you think he smoked a spliff then you need to remember who coldplay are. I'm not saying they're angels who have never done drugs. I'm saying that if you're going to suggest that and use the word strong, have more evidence then that. Chris Martin writes uplifting songs. Hes to sweet (and smart) to suggest using drugs like this.

Come on guys...

I said alcohol my friend, not drugs. While I've done neither, they are two completely different things. And they've all had alcohol before so. i don't see why it couldn't be about that? Especially when Chris also wrote a song called sex and violence. Something you also WOULDN'T expect from Coldplay. Hmm. which seems worse? I'm going to say the latter song. And he's not telling people to use it, he's just speaking from experience. I don't honestly know what he means nor do I pretend to. but i've just never heard of someone saying i took perspective from someone. you could say you learned it, found it, but not took it. What else (besides alcohol) can you TAKE from a person that they OFFER you to set you 'FREE' after STEALING a car and going DOWNTOWN? Not upper mid-class, sophisticated, UPTOWN. We're talking crime-ridden, dark alley DOWNTOWN my friend. DOWNNNNN TOWNNNNNN. Think about it. It has sketchy/dark written allllll over it.

Hey Blank - it's interesting how you take the lyrics - I see them as a new beginning or a call to arms, and a perspective on how you can make anything positive out of something negative.

In the context of the album and a possible concept/story (and talk of it ending the album) - I see either as the morning after the big climax of the story, and perhaps an epilogue to the revolution, or just beginning of a new chapter in that revolution.

The lyrics, to me, represent that feeling of music, words, ideas being able to inspire you to take action regardless of the current situation (bleak perhaps in the story's world). Also, the lyrics reflects the need for truth or people to face reality and do something to make the world a better place, almost like a revolution.

Looking at the history of music, and graffiti/street art as this album takes it's artistic cue from - a lot of messages were sent through these forms of media (alternative in some sense) often to revolt against the establishment and their propaganda (e.g. punk rock, graffiti, poems, Shostakovich's Symphonies, etc.).

"I turn the music up, I got my records on

From underneath the rubble sing a rebel song

Don't want to see another generation drop

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"

The character is expressing the need to take action so future generations can continue to experience life, music, etc. The current revolution is that pause.

I really think this song is important to the whole album, and is such a beautiful, exhilirating song, that frankly surprises me to see how many people on these boards either hate it or think it's not quality. It is quality, and shows Coldplay continuing to excel.

Also, just forgot to mention, the kids could also be a reference to the Car Kids or the Lost boys mentioned in other songs or theories. It also could represent the next generation of young people about to take over as leaders of the world.

Well, I don't know exactly :P

The whole song to me is just kind of impressionistic, you know? It doesn't strike me as a song that's actually about something, it just kind of captures and evokes strong emotions. That's what I thought footy was saying when he said Chris uses lyrics that have a "meaningless energy." Stuff like "every sermon is a symphony and every tear is a waterfall"--it doesn't really mean anything to me when it's written out like that. But when Chris Martin sings it, it evokes something in me. And I thought that was the point that footy was trying to make--Charlie Brown might not really "mean" anything; it's lyrics might not be "about" anything. Chris may have chosen those words simply because they have an evocative energy to them that fits the song. And the more I think about it, the more I think that might be the case.

Yeah that's what I meant by energetic. The words have an energy that may convey an emotion, but they don't necessarily describe a situation in the traditional narration sense. A lot of the newer lyrics, since VLV, have often seemed about conveying an energy to me.

In ETIAW, I like the energy conveyed. It's a song I've enjoyed, not because I don't agree with lots of its criticisms, but because I think those criticisms are irrelevant to truly enjoying the song. I feel like they've captured energy (like lightning bugs in a jar), and the words sort of emit that energy.

I'd love more lyrics that were actually personal and less impressionistic, but I don't mind it.

In regards to the whole drugs/alcohol thing. I don't put it past the band to do drugs. I feel like it's been said many times that they all agreed to never do anything more than marijuana, but obviously we can't really know if that's true. I do know Animal Collective, and they (frankly like most bands) have members that are open drug users even though they have families.

It's not that I think Coldplay or Chris are too goodytooshoes to have done drugs, I just think they don't make sense contextually.

As for someone's comment about them writing about sex and violence. Do you mean sexual violence? Or songs that could be about sex and songs that could be about violence? Cause a song about sexual violence has certainly never been written by Coldplay. Yes is sensual, and about longing hopelessly. But if anything, that song made me feel bad for Chris being in, what sounds like, a sexless marriage. :\

As for alcohol. Once again, not trying to come off sounding all mature or cool as I'm not. But at 21 I've been drunk a handful of times and tipsy a good many more, and understand the freeing properties of being slightly intoxicated. But they didn't write the song about getting drunk because the lyrics about taking something someone offered them that set them free. Alcohol, technically, is not taken. It also is only freeing to a point...the sad drunk in Christmas Lights is more representative of excessive drinking.

As for the U2 thing about Bad, Running to a Stand Still (by the way, aren't those two of the most incredible U2 songs not to mention just songs of all time?) - that's the way Chris would write a song about drug use in my mind. But Charlie Brown is a positive song. It's not about the pitfalls of drug use (like Bad), it's about being set free by something. The something that some people believe could be drugs.

I am of the opinion that the something is something of a higher power, more powerful than the short term high of drug use. The themes of the song seem to powerful, in that they talk about overcoming criticism. Charlie Brown, as most Americans will know, always ran up to kick that football only to have it taken away.

My feeling is that this song is, in fact, very personal to Chris. He is Charlie Brown. He is a cartoon heart. Despite the fact that Coldplay makes good music, the music scene (critics and other bands) tend to deride them for being too big hearted and childish. In my mind, he has the cartoon heart.

If only for the fact that I read this song as something much bigger than a short term high, I have to say pretty surely it can't be about drugs. Not saying the band and Chris haven't or don't do them, I just think the lyrics are bigger than that.

And I'm also really excited about the possibility of Peter Pan influences in the other lyrics. I'm trying to remember, but I think there is actually another reference in another song...can't recall though. But the whole Charlie Brown, Peter Pan, Scarecrow (reference to The Wizard of Oz) heart, all makes me really interested in the new record.

It's the first time in Coldplay's music that they've incorporated pop culture in their music (if you count Christmas Lights, Elvis was mentioned there too).

I think the ending piano could be the intro into the song Mylo Xyloto. It sounds VERY close to the version of MX played live before HLH.

Maybe the intro to HLH, MX live, was just the chorus and the full song starts after CB on the track list (while leading into it).

Just maybe.

I hope yo are right :dance:

It could be fantastic :heart:

But I don't hope Live Is for Living will be on the album :embarrassed: It's the only new song I don't like.

But I don't hope Live Is for Living will be on the album :embarrassed: It's the only new song I don't like.

Life Is For Living is actually a song from Parachutes, it's the hidden track.

So it is not a new song.

So Cleggy said that the piano outro is from the Peanuts Christmas special or something, does anybody know if that's true or where Cleggy heard that?

Here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPG3zSgm_Qo]A Charlie Brown Christmas - Christmas Time is Here Song - YouTube[/ame]

The part where they start singing has an identical note sequence to the piano outro.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViO3qGpB8hM]Coldplay Performs "Charlie Brown" - YouTube[/ame]

Skip to 4:22 in this video. Somebody else on the forum first noticed this, I can't remember who it was though.

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Christmas Time is Here Song - YouTube[/url]

The part where they start singing has an identical note sequence to the piano outro.

Skip to 4:22 in this video. Somebody else on the forum first noticed this, I can't remember who it was though.

I asked the Oracle about it but she hasn't posted any answers yet today. :\

Yeah that's what I meant by energetic. The words have an energy that may convey an emotion, but they don't necessarily describe a situation in the traditional narration sense. A lot of the newer lyrics, since VLV, have often seemed about conveying an energy to me.

In ETIAW, I like the energy conveyed. It's a song I've enjoyed, not because I don't agree with lots of its criticisms, but because I think those criticisms are irrelevant to truly enjoying the song. I feel like they've captured energy (like lightning bugs in a jar), and the words sort of emit that energy.

I'd love more lyrics that were actually personal and less impressionistic, but I don't mind it.

In regards to the whole drugs/alcohol thing. I don't put it past the band to do drugs. I feel like it's been said many times that they all agreed to never do anything more than marijuana, but obviously we can't really know if that's true. I do know Animal Collective, and they (frankly like most bands) have members that are open drug users even though they have families.

It's not that I think Coldplay or Chris are too goodytooshoes to have done drugs, I just think they don't make sense contextually.

As for someone's comment about them writing about sex and violence. Do you mean sexual violence? Or songs that could be about sex and songs that could be about violence? Cause a song about sexual violence has certainly never been written by Coldplay. Yes is sensual, and about longing hopelessly. But if anything, that song made me feel bad for Chris being in, what sounds like, a sexless marriage. :\

As for alcohol. Once again, not trying to come off sounding all mature or cool as I'm not. But at 21 I've been drunk a handful of times and tipsy a good many more, and understand the freeing properties of being slightly intoxicated. But they didn't write the song about getting drunk because the lyrics about taking something someone offered them that set them free. Alcohol, technically, is not taken. It also is only freeing to a point...the sad drunk in Christmas Lights is more representative of excessive drinking.

As for the U2 thing about Bad, Running to a Stand Still (by the way, aren't those two of the most incredible U2 songs not to mention just songs of all time?) - that's the way Chris would write a song about drug use in my mind. But Charlie Brown is a positive song. It's not about the pitfalls of drug use (like Bad), it's about being set free by something. The something that some people believe could be drugs.

I am of the opinion that the something is something of a higher power, more powerful than the short term high of drug use. The themes of the song seem to powerful, in that they talk about overcoming criticism. Charlie Brown, as most Americans will know, always ran up to kick that football only to have it taken away.

My feeling is that this song is, in fact, very personal to Chris. He is Charlie Brown. He is a cartoon heart. Despite the fact that Coldplay makes good music, the music scene (critics and other bands) tend to deride them for being too big hearted and childish. In my mind, he has the cartoon heart.

If only for the fact that I read this song as something much bigger than a short term high, I have to say pretty surely it can't be about drugs. Not saying the band and Chris haven't or don't do them, I just think the lyrics are bigger than that.

And I'm also really excited about the possibility of Peter Pan influences in the other lyrics. I'm trying to remember, but I think there is actually another reference in another song...can't recall though. But the whole Charlie Brown, Peter Pan, Scarecrow (reference to The Wizard of Oz) heart, all makes me really interested in the new record.

It's the first time in Coldplay's music that they've incorporated pop culture in their music (if you count Christmas Lights, Elvis was mentioned there too).

And smithereens from, "smashed my heart into smithereens" is from The Simpsons, I'm guessing which is another awesome pop culture/cartoon-ey thing?

I know I'm kinda late on this, but I just now listened to the SoundCloud recording, and that is incredible. Can't wait to sing at the top of my lungs to this song driving down the road.

Oh and The Oracle responded to a question about it too.

Q. Hey Oracle, did Charlie Brown leak? I heard an instrumental in this football thing and a fuller version with vocals in this trailer for some tv show. Was it leased legally?

The Oracle replies:

It wasn't "leaked". Charlie Brown is being used as a sound bed on tv at the moment but that can't be done without having the full approved version and license to use it.

• 4 weeks later...