✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Recorded instrumental version of Charlie Brown on Sky Sports

R_Burns

I ABSOLUTELY love this tune!... and feel SO lucky that we got to hear a studio version for sure! But must admit am surprised....surprised the first studio version we hear is thru an advert, ...surprised that whoever makes decisions at Sky even picked up on this song, which has only been officially performed on telly once I believe? (at Jimmey Kimmel Live?). Perhaps one of the decision-makers at Sky is a Coldplay follower and suggested it? :P

Am slightly surprised the band OK'd it too...doesn't seem like something they'd fancy doing. BUT perhaps it shows the band is evolving and trying to approach things differently with this album...perhaps not just sonically but also career-wise? And maybe Dave Holmes did have to bring them around to the idea of introducing the studio version this way and leave people wanting to hear more.

But it's great that Coldplay continues to surprise us in different ways...over 10 years into their career...which is the best thing any band would want to hear I guess :P

Sorry for talking any rubbish here ;P...I am very happy INDEED to have even a snippet of the studio version. Can't wait for more!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I stole the key

I took the car downtown where the lost boys meet

I took the car downtown and took what they offered me...

Maybe:nod:

Not to mention "All the highs, all the lows, all the madness that occurs...my scarecrow dreams...we'll start glowing in the dark." IDK, I don't really know anything about drugs and Coldplay doesn't seem like the kind of band, but given the first line of the song, the imagery seems kind of hallucinatory to me.

I think the ending piano could be the intro into the song Mylo Xyloto. It sounds VERY close to the version of MX played live before HLH.

Maybe the intro to HLH, MX live, was just the chorus and the full song starts after CB on the track list (while leading into it).

Just maybe.

I think that there will still be the MX intro before HLH as the album opener then the full lenght track Mylo Xyloto (maybe as the closer?) which developes the melody of the intro. Basicaly an evolution of the LiT-The Escapist thing.

"I took what they offered me"

It could be money

It could be painting cans

It could be anything

but drugs --'

"all the highs, all the lows, as the room is spinning...

we'll run wild, we'll start glowing in the dark."

Actually, I always thought it was an alcohol/drug reference too. A subtle one. But one no less. Spinning rooms? What other explanation is there for that? Makes me think of drunkenness. And took what they offered me, to set me free? Alcohol helps you let go of your inhibitions. It does set you free essentially. And it's not like people under the influence haven't done outlandish/crazy things. We'll run wild? It's all an innocent riot? It all seems to fit well together man. :nod:

"all the highs, all the lows, as the room is spinning...

we'll run wild, we'll start glowing in the dark."

Actually, I always thought it was an alcohol/drug reference too. A subtle one. But one no less. Spinning rooms? What other explanation is there for that? Makes me think of drunkenness. And took what they offered me, to set me free? Alcohol helps you let go of your inhibitions. It does set you free essentially. And it's not like people under the influence haven't done outlandish/crazy things. We'll run wild? It's all an innocent riot? It all seems to fit well together man. :nod:

Just speculation. Be the song about drugs or not

I think that there will still be the MX intro before HLH as the album opener then the full lenght track Mylo Xyloto (maybe as the closer?) which developes the melody of the intro. Basicaly an evolution of the LiT-The Escapist thing.

That's a good idea. Maybe MX wouldn't even be on the tracklist, beign just an intro to HLH like the Jon Hopkins song.

I've always thought like that about the song too.

sorry, but i think that issue is plain rubbish. clearly its too much drama.

and i read on wiki that Chris Martin talk about Mylo Xyloto as "It's about love, addiction, OCD, escape and working for someone you don't like."

I think that if these are drug references then this is going to be a pretty personal album, because this is definitely a side of Coldplay that we haven't seen before (at least not as vividly as this). After hearing Teardrop I was worried that this was going to be one of these U2-esque "Let's all hold hands and unite against the man!" kind of albums, but I'm wondering now if Teardrop is even going to be on it. If it is, I suspect it'll be towards the end of the track-listing because it seems like a resolution of the conflicts that Charlie Brown raises.

I've mentioned once before on other threads my theory that CB is about finally joining a movement that is against the status quo (in this case, one of conformity, or oppression of thought).

It takes place sometime after hurts like heaven - the protagonist hears about the Car Kids or "The Lost Boys" who are involved in these subversive messages around the city/area he lives in. He's curious, scared, and inspired to meet them finally and see what they're all about

They show him what the philosophy of the movement is about or their ideas and perhaps their "truth" - that's what sets him free (the old saying the truth will set you free)

- At the same time, perhaps there's a love interest in the group that he falls for perhaps after having a break up with a previous one in Hurts like heaven (Oh, you use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven) -

He's both scared and inspired with this new group, the movement, and the love interest - and the glowing in the dark represents the innocence of new love in perhaps a despotic, repressive and "dark" world.. or the youthfulness of hope and passion (I'll be bright red rose bursting the concrete)

"Be the cartoon heart"...

I really love the pre chorus - Light a fire, light a spark... Light a fire, and flame in my heart

That feeling when something or someone inspires you and puts you in a metaphorical "high, or you just have a new found energy for life - perhaps the ideas of the lost boys coupled with this new person he falls for has given him new found hope despite

All the madness in the world, or for that matter, occurs.

Regardless - They'll run wild, and glow in the darkness of the oppressive world they are currently a part of.

The outro piano, which is now confirmed a part of the song, is vintage Coldplay, and elevates the song even further. And, if true, is a homage to Charlie Brown and perhaps the Christmas special - harkening to the good ol' and much simpler days of the protagonist's youth, and like in the cartoon - the kids are the ones we understand, and the adults are unintelligble (perhaps like Major Minus), a parallel perhaps for this album's story.

Regardless - I thought the song was good, but not 2nd single worthy, however after hearing the studio version with the new piano outro, I think the song will be a much better hit, and only makes me more excited to hear the other songs in this much anticipated album. Can't wait.

I think that if these are drug references then this is going to be a pretty personal album, because this is definitely a side of Coldplay that we haven't seen before (at least not as vividly as this). After hearing Teardrop I was worried that this was going to be one of these U2-esque "Let's all hold hands and unite against the man!" kind of albums, but I'm wondering now if Teardrop is even going to be on it. If it is, I suspect it'll be towards the end of the track-listing because it seems like a resolution of the conflicts that Charlie Brown raises.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/71179_281978196185_2661000_n.jpg

And Teardrop is on it. They've said it without saying it numerous times.

Okay, I'm going to tell you all right now that Chris Martin, father of two and lead singer of the most innocent band in the world is NOT talking about drugs. Are you guys actually going to act like those lines mean drugs? Maybe when done by someone who raps or does hard rock...but coldplay?

Guys, lyrics like those only connect to drugs in a context. And that context is created by the band. Do you think in a song where Chris Martin is essentially saying, I'm going to be happy like a dork even if you laugh at me, that he would be talking about drugs? This song, once called cartoon heart, is about beating those who smash your heart into smithereens. Then reacting to it by being a bright red rose come busting up concrete.

It's not about drugs. Also realize the lost boys are from peter pan (like the crocodiles of major minus) and they're essentially kids who don't grow up and retain their youthful spirit. They aren't offering anyone drugs. There are many more significant emotional things that set one free. Like perspective. If you think he smoked a spliff then you need to remember who coldplay are. I'm not saying they're angels who have never done drugs. I'm saying that if you're going to suggest that and use the word strong, have more evidence then that. Chris Martin writes uplifting songs. Hes to sweet (and smart) to suggest using drugs like this.

Come on guys...

I really hope for a MX/Hurts Like Heaven beginning. But I am a little confused after Oracle's answer. I still don't know if Mylo Xyloto IS the MX we know or not.

I think Mylo Xyloto is not the MX we know :) It will probably be part of HLH and Mylo will be other track

Please realize Chris also writes a lot of lyrics that have meaningless energy. Certain words are energetic. That doesn't mean drugs. And if anyone says he talks about being drunk in christmas lights, you can understand the context. Which is not positive. Whereas the supposed drugs are the reason he's doing so great in Charlie brown?

I dont want to be patronizing, but someday people will realize there are things more powerful then drugs in setting one free...

Edit: and I don't even mean that from a personal context. I don't mean you think drugs will set you free. I just mean know not every use of the word high in music is a euphemism.

Okay, I'm going to tell you all right now that Chris Martin, father of two and lead singer of the most innocent band in the world is NOT talking about drugs. Are you guys actually going to act like those lines mean drugs? Maybe when done by someone who raps or does hard rock...but coldplay?

Guys, lyrics like those only connect to drugs in a context. And that context is created by the band. Do you think in a song where Chris Martin is essentially saying, I'm going to be happy like a dork even if you laugh at me, that he would be talking about drugs? This song, once called cartoon heart, is about beating those who smash your heart into smithereens. Then reacting to it by being a bright red rose come busting up concrete.

It's not about drugs. Also realize the lost boys are from peter pan (like the crocodiles of major minus) and they're essentially kids who don't grow up and retain their youthful spirit. They aren't offering anyone drugs. There are many more significant emotional things that set one free. Like perspective. If you think he smoked a spliff then you need to remember who coldplay are. I'm not saying they're angels who have never done drugs. I'm saying that if you're going to suggest that and use the word strong, have more evidence then that. Chris Martin writes uplifting songs. Hes to sweet (and smart) to suggest using drugs like this.

Come on guys...

I see what you're saying (and I'm interested to see if the Peter Pan themes run throughout the album. I didn't catch the connection between the ticking crocs and the lost boys!) but just because Chris Martin is a nice guy with kids doesn't mean he doesn't do drugs. You've heard of this band Animal Collective, yes? They're all perfectly nice people who have kids and, quite unfortunatley, are pretty open about their drug use. And it doesn't mean that Chris has never done drugs at some point during his life. If this song does represent some time in his life, it's certainly not the present. Every song we've heard on this album seems to embody that sense of youthful rebellion (and for a lot of kids, being "rebelious" means doing drugs), and this song is no different. The only song so far that sounds like its told from an adult perspective is Major Minus, which is the odd song of the bunch, in that it really isn't very odd from a musical standpoint. I'm not saying that Coldplay are a bunch of druggies--I hope they're not!--I'm just saying this song sounds like it has some references to drugs.

Footy - I agree - it's so out of character for him, and with the themes of youth, passion, and beating the "adults" so to speak, it totally fits in with the Peter Pan theme, as well as Charlie Brown, where it seems like the kids know what they are doing and the adults are some monolithic force that all sound the same or like gibberish.

Please realize Chris also writes a lot of lyrics that have meaningless energy. Certain words are energetic.

This is probably the best point that anyone has made in this thread. Teardrop is certainly evidence of this, so you could very well be right.