✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is This the Most Hate?

aschall

^

Finally, more people who choose not to mind the 'HATE' are now speaking up. I hope Coldplay sees/reads these ones instead. We respect your ambitions and musical genius Coldplay, we're here to give our 100% support.

Count me in. I plan on speaking up more now. Been on here for years and when they decided you had to be a member to watch videos became one. Then I had to make a new name because I couldn't remember the last password ha so it looks like i'm new but any who I plan on speaking more because the same old haters are drowning out the lovers and it is starting to bother me. I def love this new era and respect what they are doing. You can tell how much Chris loves playing ETIAW live. I was at lolla and it was so good live the energy he brought to it even as the very last song was incredible. He wants everyone to love it and I do. I think it's such a fun song. Paradise is a song I can picture in the sports world after someone wins a title being played.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is the most interesting thread I've read since the existence of humanity. A constructive conversation between people who love and people who dislike (I hate the word hate) the new direction.

I think RonForTheHills explained my thoughts perfectly on page 1, so those who want to know what I think should just read that again :p

I'd like to add some things... (long post coming up)

There are some things people seem to misunderstand. Some say "people here either love the new direction or just want them to make the old kind of songs over and over again." That's just not true, I, for one, am not fond of the new songs at all. Still, I wouldn't want to make the same songs again per se. I'd love to hear new things, in the same way as I was thrilled by the new direction of VLV. It was different, but I still loved it. I don't mind evolution per se. I just don't like this evolution.

Second, people say the album will please both sides with different songs. Some "new" and poppy, some acoustic. Again, there's no distinction between acoustic and non-acoustic, there's a distinction based on quality. A Rush Of Blood To The Head is by far my favourite song, and it's not acoustic, it's even loud. UATW may be an acoustic song, but, hate to say it, I like the song, but it seems more like a lullaby to me and doesn't even reach half of the quality Green Eyes and Til Kingdom Come have. Up In Flames may resemble old stuff but it's very bad in comparison.

On the pleasing both sides thing, if there are songs I dislike all over the album, some scattered good songs won't make the whole album all good for me again. Many people are trying to calm the "haters" down by saying things like this "pleasing all" thing, but I have to say it takes some naivety to believe this is all true.

Third, people are supporting Coldplay for experimenting. I support experimenting, but it seems (I'm talking mainly about ETIAW and Para here, btw) they are experimenting with things that have been done before... in pop music. Things that have had major chart success. This may be the opposite of brave if you recognise that these experimentations are certain to turn these songs into massive hits.

Overall, here's my point:

I do like some of the new songs (MM live, HLH and MTM in particular) but all of the new songs, including the ones I like, seem to miss something older songs do have. None of the new songs were able to touch me in any way (other than disappoint me in some cases). They seem artificial and sometimes cheap, and miss the honesty, sobriety, deepness and darkness, edginess, rawness, etc. that made me love the older songs. These new songs leave me with a rather indifferent feeling. I can see right through them. I can't understand why they see this as their masterpiece. They seem almost like a different band. It almost breaks my heart and it keeps me busy all day to think about the fact that this band that I love has now gone down to this state in which I can't recognise most things I love(d) about them.

Again I mentioned a lot of things I don't like without even mentioning the Rihanna collaboration (just the very thought of them promoting an already world-famous diva and therefore not surprising the world with a new talented less known artist, for example).

I bought tickets to the Antwerp show, even though I'm not feeling warm about the upcoming album. I don't know why, I still love them live, maybe I'm nostalgic about the time when they were everything I wanted to see in a band (but I was too young), see Live 2003 (as in their rather sober live shows that are now full of colours, props, lasers, confettis and all that), and I would have loved to be part of a 2002-03 show, and I'm trying to make up for that by going to a new show instead, I dunno.

So that's off my chest (I seem to do that a lot though :p). I hope I haven't been too rude or hurt anyone's feelings over the last few months, because I am rather on the negative side. I confess one of the reasons I joined was to complain about ETIAW. But it breaks my heart to see that some people very closely related to Coldplay are heartbroken by all this. I still love the guys, their intrinsic honesty in interviews, their personalities, their effort. It makes me sad that they can't please me that much anymore, although I know they are trying hard to please as many people as possible.

I do like some of the new songs (MM live, HLH and MTM in particular) but all of the new songs, including the ones I like, seem to miss something older songs do have. None of the new songs were able to touch me in any way (other than disappoint me in some cases). They seem artificial and sometimes cheap, and miss the honesty, sobriety, deepness and darkness, edginess, rawness, etc. that made me love the older songs. These new songs leave me with a rather indifferent feeling. I can see right through them. I can't understand why they see this as their masterpiece.

I think you state your points very well and I respect your opinion. I want to speak to this point I highlighted, though. The qualities you love about their older music as you listed come from music where the artist is trying to put into words their emotions and feelings. I think it's a fact that Parachutes and even AROBTTH are indicative of Chris when his life was in an upheaval of sorts. So, he was dark. He was broody. And that came through his music.

Why can't music with a more positive vibe and hopeful message be relevant like the more....uh...emo stuff? Who says that it has to be full of angst and sadness to be poignant?

Again, though, Tryptophan...you have good, solid points. :) We shall agree to disagree. :D

Aww it makes me so sad, to imagine them reading the mean comments on coldplaying with this new era. I hope they do know that there are people who love the new era on here. Lately I've just been so excited about the album and I really can't wait for it!

I wish there was some way, like a project, we could all show our support and let them know we are still here for them! :D

i feel like it is the same.. i think this hate may be more public and more apparent, but that does not imply more. more people are just actually speaking their mind. if that even makes sense. i remember fighting with plenty of people during the Viva era. that being said i think a lot of people are just following the crowd and making everything hyperbolic. i don't think many actually hate some of these new songs, they just don't like them as much. i have plenty of coldplay songs i don't listen to as much, but that doesn't mean i don't like them. just my interpretation i guess.

A single bad page can still ruin a whole book though......

Nope, not really.

As a writer, I can write a shitty chapter of a book, with nothing but horrible, boring plot points and then come back with the next chapter with incredible story-telling.

Just because someone comes out with something you don't like, doesn't mean everything else sucks. :)

We're brutally honest.

Debs, I want you and the boys to know that Paradise makes me feel like you're trying to tell us that we can't handle lyrical depth. It's kind of insulting and it makes me not want to purchase the album. Have you no shame? There are better ways to please everyone; Coldplay will release whatever they want and the sheep fanboys and fangirls will eat it up. Why not kill two birds with one stone and give us some better lyrics?

LOL! What?

What's in bold had me laughing out loud. Do people actually believe this? Like I said before, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it is true.

EDIT: I'm not trying to come off as a douche, so, sorry about that.

I think you state your points very well and I respect your opinion. I want to speak to this point I highlighted, though. The qualities you love about their older music as you listed come from music where the artist is trying to put into words their emotions and feelings. I think it's a fact that Parachutes and even AROBTTH are indicative of Chris when his life was in an upheaval of sorts. So, he was dark. He was broody. And that came through his music.

Why can't music with a more positive vibe and hopeful message be relevant like the more....uh...emo stuff? Who says that it has to be full of angst and sadness to be poignant?

Again, though, Tryptophan...you have good, solid points. :) We shall agree to disagree. :D

Yeah, you're right in a way, an album that only contains sad and "emo" (hate that word :p) songs can't be that good. Coldplay's older albums also have happier songs (take Strawberry Swing, it's more recent but I love it), but the feeling with these new ones is different. Not only are the lyrics lacking whether they are uplifting or not (saw Paradise lyrics being posted, and at first glance 80% of the lyrics is para para paradise...), I'm also talking about the way the songs sound. When I said artificial, I was talking about the sound that is caused by the mixing of genres and most of all, the production. Some may like it that way, I definitely don't.

^ I hate the word, emo, too. I couldn't think of a better word at the time. Sorry. :P

I'll admit...when I first saw the written out lyrics to Paradise, I cringed. Alone they aren't anything spectacular by any stretch, but when you add the chord structure, instrumentation, and ambient effects, it creates a listening atmosphere. There are so many facets to music, especially music with words.

I'll quote my cousin here, because even though I was peeved with him at the time he said this to me, the more I think about it the more sense it makes. I was complaining about lyrics from a song from a movie many years ago and he said to me, "Geez, if you want words that mean something all the time, go read poetry!"

After that, I've had a different take on music lyrics from any and all bands I listen to. I tell myself, "it doesn't have to be poetry. Sometimes the lyrics aren't what is featured in a song."

Does that make sense? It probably doesn't. I've only had one cup of coffee this morning and I'm still tired.

Paradise has terrible lyrics, but we don't usually expect meaningful lyrics from Coldplay, as their songs have had terrible lyrics since Day 1.

We do, however, expect a certain amount of composition quality, including but not limited to overall songwriting, production, instrument usage, vocal quality, and originality. Paradise doesn't succeed in a single one of those.

^ Come on, don't be so rude. We know you don't like it, neither do I. Be glad that at least they realise some of their things are nonsense. I appreciate it more than when they think their own nonsensical titles and lyrics mean the world while they don't. Fortunately they don't do this.

Neonhorn, Corkus and Osaka Sun: :nod:

See, I totally agree with comments that Coldplay is an album band. Just because the two singles from MX haven't been universally well-received doesn't mean the album will follow suite. I love Violet Hill and I love Viva La Vida, but I'm not over-the-moon when it comes to say, 42 and Lost!. If they'd been the first two singles, I'm sure it would have changed people's pre-release perception of Viva.

MX has Charlie Brown, Us Against the World and Princess of China and if any of them had been the first two singles (and Teardrop and Paradise were just titles we knew to be on the album), I'm sure the majority of this hate wouldn't exist.

Wow this is the most interesting thread I've read since the existence of humanity. A constructive conversation between people who love and people who dislike (I hate the word hate) the new direction.

I think RonForTheHills explained my thoughts perfectly on page 1, so those who want to know what I think should just read that again :p

I'd like to add some things... (long post coming up)

There are some things people seem to misunderstand. Some say "people here either love the new direction or just want them to make the old kind of songs over and over again." That's just not true, I, for one, am not fond of the new songs at all. Still, I wouldn't want to make the same songs again per se. I'd love to hear new things, in the same way as I was thrilled by the new direction of VLV. It was different, but I still loved it. I don't mind evolution per se. I just don't like this evolution.

Second, people say the album will please both sides with different songs. Some "new" and poppy, some acoustic. Again, there's no distinction between acoustic and non-acoustic, there's a distinction based on quality. A Rush Of Blood To The Head is by far my favourite song, and it's not acoustic, it's even loud. UATW may be an acoustic song, but, hate to say it, I like the song, but it seems more like a lullaby to me and doesn't even reach half of the quality Green Eyes and Til Kingdom Come have. Up In Flames may resemble old stuff but it's very bad in comparison.

On the pleasing both sides thing, if there are songs I dislike all over the album, some scattered good songs won't make the whole album all good for me again. Many people are trying to calm the "haters" down by saying things like this "pleasing all" thing, but I have to say it takes some naivety to believe this is all true.

Third, people are supporting Coldplay for experimenting. I support experimenting, but it seems (I'm talking mainly about ETIAW and Para here, btw) they are experimenting with things that have been done before... in pop music. Things that have had major chart success. This may be the opposite of brave if you recognise that these experimentations are certain to turn these songs into massive hits.

I do like some of the new songs (MM live, HLH and MTM in particular) but all of the new songs, including the ones I like, seem to miss something older songs do have. None of the new songs were able to touch me in any way (other than disappoint me in some cases). They seem artificial and sometimes cheap, and miss the honesty, sobriety, deepness and darkness, edginess, rawness, etc. that made me love the older songs. These new songs leave me with a rather indifferent feeling. I can see right through them. I can't understand why they see this as their masterpiece. They seem almost like a different band. It almost breaks my heart and it keeps me busy all day to think about the fact that this band that I love has now gone down to this state in which I can't recognise most things I love(d) about them.

Again I mentioned a lot of things I don't like without even mentioning the Rihanna collaboration (just the very thought of them promoting an already world-famous diva and therefore not surprising the world with a new talented less known artist, for example).

I bought tickets to the Antwerp show, even though I'm not feeling warm about the upcoming album. I don't know why, I still love them live, maybe I'm nostalgic about the time when they were everything I wanted to see in a band (but I was too young), see Live 2003 (as in their rather sober live shows that are now full of colours, props, lasers, confettis and all that), and I would have loved to be part of a 2002-03 show, and I'm trying to make up for that by going to a new show instead, I dunno.

So that's off my chest (I seem to do that a lot though :p). I hope I haven't been too rude or hurt anyone's feelings over the last few months, because I am rather on the negative side. I confess one of the reasons I joined was to complain about ETIAW. But it breaks my heart to see that some people very closely related to Coldplay are heartbroken by all this. I still love the guys, their intrinsic honesty in interviews, their personalities, their effort. It makes me sad that they can't please me that much anymore, although I know they are trying hard to please as many people as possible.

Great post.

But the topic is seems a bit off. Older fans, generally, doesn't like this new direction, it's a given fact. Look who played Coldplay songs on youtube again and again - males 45-54, males 35-44, males 25-34. Now it would be girls under 17.

I would say it's rather disappointment, because songs like MTM, Famous Old Painters and Lucas has amazing potential, which has been dropped to trash can by someone called Brian Eno. This is a frustration. And all this artifical borders and rules, what the hell this all about? Man can't changed the way he writes signature, no matter what, why Coldplay are trying to do this? I don't know. It's weird actually.

My view on the Mylo Xyloto era FOR NOW.

The band have been moving into a new direction so it's quite a bold move. It has already excited some fans and got some into thinking 'WTF is this?'.

I, for one, am a huge fan of Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. I liked all songs on it and it's my favourite album of all time plus it got me through some hard times. So forgive me if I'm biased a bit in what I'm going to say now.

I absolutely feel that Viva was a powerhorse in terms of intensity, lyrical depth, melodies which were great and using new instruments well. Even songs like Lukas or Fun or Famous Old Painters instrumental were great, easy to hum melodies. Prospekt's March contained some great songs as well, Glass of Water. The song that disappointed me there was 'Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground' but even that is not bad. After that, 'Wedding Bells' was a great little tune even if it wasn't released. Even the weirds sounds in the South Bank show with Melvyn Bragg were brilliant, I hoped they'd be on the album in some way.

Now, to Mylo Xyloto. I was ecstatic to hear some new material but I was pretty dumbfounded by 'Every Teardrop'. At first I really thought it was bad, but somehow most Coldplay songs are decent growers and so was ETIAW. I wasn't surprised that they released an EP after that, but what I really didn't expect was two songs on it would ALSO be on the album. For me, it's a bit of a rip-off, however you see it. I know it's a fan's choice to do what they want with their money but some paid for the same song twice. And will even pay for it again if they've preordered the album.

Now, the songs. I like what I'm hearing but I'm not ecstatic about it; I don't feel the shivers down my spine as in '42' or imagining a perfect day like I was in 'Strawberry Swing' or finding some sort of associations in other songs like Viva La Vida, Violet Hill or Warning Sign or Sparks or...you catch my drift ;)

The lyrics on Paradise and to some part ETIAW are just terrible. I'm not saying songs are terrible but the lyrics are not good enough. Most of you will agree with me on this I'm sure.

Coldplay are at their best when they're most sincere and humble. UATW is a great example, a brilliant song, and I'm sure UIF has the same potential although it's kind of repetitive. But obviously EMI has pressured them into making some singles which have absolutely no real meaning and one will not find 'Paradise' or even 'Charlie Brown' the songs you could compare to Clocks or Fix You or In My Place or...I am even going to go and say that Coldplay will not have a hit like Viva La Vida on this album which was no.1. in both US of A and UK.

I don't know, perhaps they've tried too hard this time? Maybe the three songs we haven't heard yet will improve the overall quality. When it comes out, it will generate massive hysteria and a lot of people will love it but will it stand the test of time and become a breaking point in Coldplay's career? I don't think so.

I've still preordered the album, I'm sure I'm going to be playing it a lot, but I don't think it will generate as much happiness for me as the last album did ;) Simply my opinion.

Older fans, generally, doesn't like this new direction, it's a given fact.

I like how you constructed the sentence and used the word generally to be safe, but I don't think it was right to use it because its like speaking for most of the people. I'm an old fan myself, I have been a Coldplay fan since 2000, since Yellow came to my country, but I like this new direction, although I must also say that I miss the old Coldplay. The old stuff has their own specialness, I suggest we just let the new album speak for itself when it comes out.

I guess this upholds the saying, "TO EACH HAS ITS OWN". We are all different people, but this doesn't necessarily have to break the board into two entities such as PRO and ANTI. I say we stick to simply being supporters and be united, after all, the band is the reason why we all came here together.

The thing I don't like about the things going on around here with the new era, is that people take it to the next level. They just write hateful comments, like if they really hate the band now :( I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you don't like a song, but its that extra bit of hate that's gets me sad. The comments are just rude, I wonder if those people would actually be able to say those things to the band in person, and feel good about themselves :\

Oh and I think its funny that I've always loved coldplay's lyrics, I never understood why people say they are so bad. I think they have amazing lyrics actually :) I think its just on people's preference of lyrics. I for one love these lyrics because you have to think about what it means to you. Or sometimes I don't care what they mean, but somehow they evoke an emotion in me, and that to me is amazing :D