✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is This the Most Hate?

aschall

Sue: Surely you are not going to give up seeing them live because of those 4 songs? :) After all seeing them live is the chance we all get to hear most of their great catalogue. I hope you won´t miss out on this. :) We could all go to the concerts and just accept that there is going to be songs for everyone and every taste. After all, the very synths you called crap actually are very emotional to me, so we are all different but Coldplay catalogue, especially live, will always be so varied to be able to cater to both sides. Or at least that is my hope for all long-time fans
Hehe no worries, I'll give them another chance for sure but because of work alone I won't be able to travel much for them (not even close to like I did during the VLV tour).

To add to it all the last time I saw them was a disaster.

And it was my 10th concert, with lots of people I love and we were totally prepared to have a great time but it came otherwise.

That's something that is part of my disappointment, too.

Of course everyone can have a crappy day but at Main Square Festival it was just one hiccup too much... so much went wrong. It was impossible to get into it the way it was the 9 times before.

Ah well, I better stay silent now and do something productive before I leave for work hehe

:hug:

EDIT: I'm now listening to this gem:

http://www.tape.tv/telly/fink&channel=fink_add_koop :heart:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reactions to ETIAW and Paradise are definitely the worst I've ever seen on here, and I've been around for quite a while (joined in 2005).

From what I could remember, the only thing that caused any real upset from the Viva era was learning what the title was. A lot of people were upset about the title. Apart from that, there was generally a lot of excitement. I remember quite a few people being uncertain about Violet Hill at first but it certainly wasn't anywhere near the levels of hate we're experiencing now. As for Viva la Vida (the song), I remember there being quite a bit of praise around it. Particularly when it started climbing the charts so high, that was an exciting day in Coldplaying history.

At the moment I couldn't even justify spending big amounts of money to see them in concert to myself. It's gotten this bad.

Just last weekend Imke and me had our "anniversary" of meeting Chris and Guy rather by accident in front of the Bakery.

It's nice thinking back of all the awesome memories I have because of CP.

Soon it'll be one year since the boat trip (and the fun night at Dublin Castle the day after)! :cheesy:

Wembley week was awesome!!

All the stress was worth it and bad times or lack of sleep are forgotten, we had a great time being emotional and then one minute later jumping and singing our lungs out hehe :heart:

We were a great group I think.

I agree with everything you said.

Yes, it's not just the music, right?

We had awesome experiences together and now it seems like it won't ever be the same again because it was the music that brought us together originally.

Mhmm, don't know how to express myself right now, I hope you know what I mean? :uhoh: :embarrassed:

I can't believe it's almost 2 years since Wembley or almost a year since the boat trip. They've been amazing experiences brought to us by the band... And yeah, it just doesn't feel like it can be the same again.

I mean, I cried when we heard Christmas Lights on the boat because it was lovely and special and now whenever it comes of shuffle it brings back all the excitement and friendship forged that night.

I get completely what you mean. The music brought us together and it was meant to unite us... But now it's gone I sort of feel like what's left to unite us anymore? I never got to experience a full Coldplaying Wembley (as I was seated) and I now fear I never will... Or I won't with some of the members of the forum I would most like to see again/meet.

As for Viva la Vida (the song), I remember there being quite a bit of praise around it. Particularly when it started climbing the charts so high, that was an exciting day in Coldplaying history.

Funny you should mention VIVA the song. I was actually thinking today that Paradise resembles Viva a lot (the ooh ooh chants, lush instrumentation, violins) , so very weird how it got such a different reaction. Go figure :) It surely can not only be because of the synths hehe

• 2 weeks later...

"THIS IS ABOUT OUR BAND AND OUR FEELING ABOUT EACH OTHER AND TRYING TO DO SOMETHING GOOD WITH OUR MUSIC AND FEELING LIKE SOMETIMES WE'RE UNDER ATTACK AND ALL THAT STUFF BUT NEVERTHELESS FEELING RESILIENT." -Chris Martin while introducing Us Against the World at Live on Letterman

And you know what's ironic? Its how all you anti-MX think that this song sounds like the old Coldplay, with its true message now exposed in your faces.

It feels so good to finally get that off my chest, and to be my comeback post.

Also, in the future, please bear in mind that being FREE doesn't always mean saying everything you think. If you want people to respect you, you must be respectful yourself, so stop taking things personally and stop attacking those who think different than you. This applies to everyone here in the board.

Hey all - saw Coldplay at Letterman - amazing - have been a fan since I saw them back in 2000 - For You is one of my favorites by them - so I love old coldplay and am glad they are going forward with what they want to do - The new singles are great and love the lush instrumentation on them. Got a chance to meet and speak with Phil Harvey after the show, so gracious and down to earth. Told him to tell the guys - don't listen to the hate, especially from coldplaying.com - and he sighed, and told me some of the people on coldplaying.com are really harsh and bit too much.

I told him to tell them to keep going and that the new songs are amazing, and don't worry about 'true' fans - you'll never please everybody. He agreed and really thanked me for saying that and that it means a lot, and that he will definitely let the boys know as they probably do feel like they're going into new territory (Will's nerves) and will lose people. But honestly for them, it's new and keeps them wanting to create - look at R.E.M. - after 30 yrs they had no where to go, so they called it a day. I don't want Coldplay to ever feel like that - I want them to do what they want to - they've made so much great music, they haven't gone all Radiohead on us (and I love Radiohead, the new stuff is ok, but iron lung just came on my ipod randomly yesterday night, as I was walking back from work, wow what an amazing song)

These new songs and new direction is what they want to do and they're still making great songs that are not acid jazz or whatever obscure genre.

As for the lyrics - hey it's not easy, plus for a concept album - you really need to listen to the whole album to understand what the context of both the song and the lyrics really mean. It's a story/opera/musical of sorts. Paradise is the hopes and expectations of the girl in the story - it's not what she expected.

I love Death and all his friends - but lyrically - there's not much quantity but it's simple and effective, i think paradise is along the same lines. ETIAW lyrically is about having hope and trying to see things in a positive light despite the Major Minus world they live (maybe that's why MM is titled that, the opposing force to the positivity that the characters r trying to create). Music and art are liberating, and can be used as a positive revolutionary force - the main protagonist has hope and is inspired by his new love and this new movement of spraycan soul he is a part of - it gives him life and passion to make sure that people can overcome whatever's holding them down.

That's what i take from these two songs w/in the context of the album. I think they're brilliant as well as the other songs. This album may be another one of their masterpieces (viva was amazing for sure) and another great addition to their next trilogy (perhaps their Empire Strikes Back (original) not the 5th version/edited crap of course)

Viva la Coldplay!

Oh, there's always been divided opinion when something was new, at least from X&Y on. People fought. People came and left. There have always been immature fans who took things too seriously and people who liked to wind those fans up.

I haven't bothered to check much of it (why bother? it can't be good for you psychologically), but from what I've seen, the level of vitrol is new. But it's exactly like that across the entire internet now. I can't think of a single board for anything I used to be on 10 years ago that hasn't had a serious downgrade in civility within the last 3 years. I guess it's just a new generation of kids with a new set of expectations.

A deep breath and a grain of salt go a long way. :mellow:

Yes, couldn't agree more.

I wish those with nothing but negative things to say about all their singles and this album would just state their opinion and then leave. I'm fine with opinions, but it's honestly getting silly having to listen to "ETIAW sux!!111 Coldplay r crap!!" posts at every turn. And this is coming from someone who didn't like ETIAW or Paradise on the initial listens. But, they have grown on me and I'm starting to be open to this new direction.

I know people have a right to be here...but if those people openly hate Coldplay's new direction, then why are they still here posting hate? I didn't particularly like Glen Ballard's hand in producing Dave Matthews Band back when "Every Day" came out and then everything after that just fell short for me, but I didn't stick around the fansite I frequented and beat a dead horse about how I hated it. I quietly left, moved on, and found a new band to rave about.

We're brutally honest.

Debs, I want you and the boys to know that Paradise makes me feel like you're trying to tell us that we can't handle lyrical depth. It's kind of insulting and it makes me not want to purchase the album. Have you no shame? There are better ways to please everyone; Coldplay will release whatever they want and the sheep fanboys and fangirls will eat it up. Why not kill two birds with one stone and give us some better lyrics?

lyrical depth? coldplay have always been bad with lyrics (expect maybe some few songs on VLV). come on.

i also don't get the synth sound - pop accusations. in paradise they simply incorporated some nice synths within their sound. I mean it's all still there, the piano, the guitar (at the end). And it's not like they turned from alternative rock to pop with this phase. They have always been the most pop of rock bands and knew that.

I don't get all the hate surrounding this phase - I mean let's compare it to X&Y which really was a too long, unimaginative and structure-repeating combination of tracks. In that phase they were only trying to recreate what made them big - and totally hit the lowpoint of their career for me (except some songs like of course Fix You..) - with Mylo Xyloto they're definetely trying to recreate their sound, which is, like it or not, a good thing.

Hey all - saw Coldplay at Letterman - amazing - have been a fan since I saw them back in 2000 - For You is one of my favorites by them - so I love old coldplay and am glad they are going forward with what they want to do - The new singles are great and love the lush instrumentation on them. Got a chance to meet and speak with Phil Harvey after the show, so gracious and down to earth. Told him to tell the guys - don't listen to the hate, especially from coldplaying.com - and he sighed, and told me some of the people on coldplaying.com are really harsh and bit too much.

I told him to tell them to keep going and that the new songs are amazing, and don't worry about 'true' fans - you'll never please everybody. He agreed and really thanked me for saying that and that it means a lot, and that he will definitely let the boys know as they probably do feel like they're going into new territory (Will's nerves) and will lose people. But honestly for them, it's new and keeps them wanting to create - look at R.E.M. - after 30 yrs they had no where to go, so they called it a day.

Viva la Coldplay!

That kind of makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach that they know about what is written over here. God, I hope they don't take it to heart. If anything, this site should be a huge support for them, and right now...the negative completely outweighs the positive.

It really is incredibly disgusting the amount of vitriol that is being thrown around here. Sadly, those negative voices always seemed to be the loudest ones.

I honestly don't get why some people are criticising ETIAW and Paradise for being 'shallow'. I honestly believe they are are far from this description. I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion and fair enough if they don't like the songs, but some of the threads and comments I've read... I just have to hold my tongue and shake my head. Really, some people are just ignorant about pop music in general.

And judging the album before it's heard? Where is the logic in that?

hmmmm, well i personally believe that there is no use in lying and saying a song is great when you know it isn't. Sure the comments are a bit harsh and mine have been to though they should know that it's ONLY because we know that they can do so so so much better. It's good to know that they actually hear/read the things on this website though

hmmmm, well i personally believe that there is no use in lying and saying a song is great when you know it isn't. Sure the comments are a bit harsh and mine have been to though they should know that it's ONLY because we know that they can do so so so much better. It's good to know that they actually hear/read the things on this website though

I'm sure they'd rather hear the truth, definitely... but to read "YOUR SONG SUCKS!" without merely explaining why it did for that person is different, its like trying to get a girl and getting rejected without any explanation when you thought you had a shot.

I have a question though, when you said that 'THEY CAN DO SO SO SO MUCH BETTER', are you implying that what they have now is not good? Do you know how hard it is to write music, think of good lyrics, record, plan, pick covers, orchestrate concerts and all that? Sometimes people here says things as if they think its easy doing so.

At the end of the day, what really matters is how they were able to write, compose, sing and play from the heart.

I have been a Coldplay fan for over 10 years now(I got hooked on Parachutes in high school) and had just recently decided to formally join the Coldplaying forum after many years of "lurking". I am what I consider an older fan, I love them to death. I love every album they have ever put out! I joined the forums because I am so excited about a new album being released(I'm driving my husband mad talking about it all the time) and I wanted to connect with other people that love Coldplay as much as I do. I wasn't prepared for the Coldplay bashing! :shocked2: It makes me sad. We should all be happy that we are getting a new album after all these years! So what if they are going in a new direction? Are any of the old albums the same as eachother? nope! Lets all give this a chance, the songs already out have grown on me as time has gone on. ...We need to hear the whole album to get the whole concept. Lets not count our chickens before they hatch! At least CP is being outgoing and not feeding us the same stuff over and over. I still love them!

...Sorry if I seemed to be ranting, I just had to get that off my chest!:)

I just don't understand it. It's a cross between people that want them to remake their old stuff, and people who enjoy the new

People who HATE the album (without even listening to it) want them to just keep re-making their old stuff. They don't want them to evolve they just want them to stay the same. Time change, people change -- they don't seem to understand that concept.

Artists need to be given the opportunity to GROW and EVOLVE and really let all their creativity come out and be challenged.

I really like the fact Coldplay is trying something new, I don't want them to re-make their albums; I love hearing different sounds from them and like I said, I personally like the direction they are taking now. I like how they have themes... why is that SUCH a hard thing for people to accept?

Them re-making their old stuff would just get boring! Let them be creative, people. They KNOW what they're doing and not EVERY single song they write, produce, and record HAS to be life changing and deep in epic proportions; music can be fun and light hearted, too..

So just let it go and judge the album when it comes out.

Guest howyousawtheworld

It's laughable how much people have been offended by this new era. I've been critical and laid out my fears but I'd be an idiot to judge purely on two singles one of which is sub par and the other I think is pretty good. Inside me I feel that it won't be as good as VLV but that album set a very high standard for me. But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed it. However I'm encouraged by the interview in MusicWeek. Verrry encouraged.

Thank you bdevil for passing that on to Phil. I feel so bad about them having heard or read those things, some posts were very cruel.

I guess it was a response to the distance people suddenly felt towards the band, because basically they said, "we don't care what you think". That was hard to take at first, but some of us needed to realize that we've got absolutely nothing to say about them.

And now, Coldplay's 'attitude' has sort of turned into something positive, I think. And if they feel this confident, how bad can the album be, really? People seem to slowly start restoring their faith in the band. Some have even grown to like the singles. :lol:

Right now I feel like they will blow us away with Mylo Xyloto. I hope they do. I'd be very proud.

This is the best thread Ive read since I stopped lurking (again) for so long. Even though it saddens me that so many don't appreciate the new direction and the uplifting and refreshing vibe of ETIAW. I get nothing but pure pleasure every time I see Chris pumping his fist in the air when they perform it live. Ive always skipped The Hardest Part and will probably do the same when the chorus of Paradise begins, but that's just me and my tastes. MM studio isn't for everyone, but for me it's HELLS BELLS, baby! We are all different... I hope we will all remain fans of something off MX...

One of the un-terrified, and still excited...