✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is This the Most Hate?

aschall

Ah for gods sake stop being so corny it absolutely drives me through the roof! I just come on here and read “oh my god why all the hatred… oh my gosh I love you colpdlay ooooohhh dear god don’t let these hateful people break OUR BAND WITH THER HATRED OOOOOHH”.

ITS NOT LIKE WE WOKE UP ONE MORNING AND NOW WE HATE THEM OKAY?!

What no godforsaken earthly creature on here seems to understand is that if it wasn’t for the older fans Coldplay wouldn’t be here today so we’re just expecting a little sympathy.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is the most interesting thread I've read since the existence of humanity. A constructive conversation between people who love and people who dislike (I hate the word hate) the new direction.

I think RonForTheHills explained my thoughts perfectly on page 1, so those who want to know what I think should just read that again :p

I'd like to add some things... (long post coming up)

There are some things people seem to misunderstand. Some say "people here either love the new direction or just want them to make the old kind of songs over and over again." That's just not true, I, for one, am not fond of the new songs at all. Still, I wouldn't want to make the same songs again per se. I'd love to hear new things, in the same way as I was thrilled by the new direction of VLV. It was different, but I still loved it. I don't mind evolution per se. I just don't like this evolution.

Second, people say the album will please both sides with different songs. Some "new" and poppy, some acoustic. Again, there's no distinction between acoustic and non-acoustic, there's a distinction based on quality. A Rush Of Blood To The Head is by far my favourite song, and it's not acoustic, it's even loud. UATW may be an acoustic song, but, hate to say it, I like the song, but it seems more like a lullaby to me and doesn't even reach half of the quality Green Eyes and Til Kingdom Come have. Up In Flames may resemble old stuff but it's very bad in comparison.

On the pleasing both sides thing, if there are songs I dislike all over the album, some scattered good songs won't make the whole album all good for me again. Many people are trying to calm the "haters" down by saying things like this "pleasing all" thing, but I have to say it takes some naivety to believe this is all true.

Third, people are supporting Coldplay for experimenting. I support experimenting, but it seems (I'm talking mainly about ETIAW and Para here, btw) they are experimenting with things that have been done before... in pop music. Things that have had major chart success. This may be the opposite of brave if you recognise that these experimentations are certain to turn these songs into massive hits.

Overall, here's my point:

I do like some of the new songs (MM live, HLH and MTM in particular) but all of the new songs, including the ones I like, seem to miss something older songs do have. None of the new songs were able to touch me in any way (other than disappoint me in some cases). They seem artificial and sometimes cheap, and miss the honesty, sobriety, deepness and darkness, edginess, rawness, etc. that made me love the older songs. These new songs leave me with a rather indifferent feeling. I can see right through them. I can't understand why they see this as their masterpiece. They seem almost like a different band. It almost breaks my heart and it keeps me busy all day to think about the fact that this band that I love has now gone down to this state in which I can't recognise most things I love(d) about them.

Again I mentioned a lot of things I don't like without even mentioning the Rihanna collaboration (just the very thought of them promoting an already world-famous diva and therefore not surprising the world with a new talented less known artist, for example).

I bought tickets to the Antwerp show, even though I'm not feeling warm about the upcoming album. I don't know why, I still love them live, maybe I'm nostalgic about the time when they were everything I wanted to see in a band (but I was too young), see Live 2003 (as in their rather sober live shows that are now full of colours, props, lasers, confettis and all that), and I would have loved to be part of a 2002-03 show, and I'm trying to make up for that by going to a new show instead, I dunno.

So that's off my chest (I seem to do that a lot though :p). I hope I haven't been too rude or hurt anyone's feelings over the last few months, because I am rather on the negative side. I confess one of the reasons I joined was to complain about ETIAW. But it breaks my heart to see that some people very closely related to Coldplay are heartbroken by all this. I still love the guys, their intrinsic honesty in interviews, their personalities, their effort. It makes me sad that they can't please me that much anymore, although I know they are trying hard to please as many people as possible.

this my friend was a masterful post :kiss:

This is a great thread and I'm sad it took me this long to realize it existed. Most people have said what I would have said earlier, but that's never stopped me before :P

The bottom line for me is that I'm actually very interested in the board reaction to this era/album, warts and all. I lurked around X&Y's release and was here for Viva's, and there were certainly dissatisfied customers then too, but what interests me is the sheer amount of displeasure this time around. How people have expressed that displeasure aside, I think there's definitely something to be said about that--it's not like it's just coincidence that so many fans aren't feeling what they're doing these days (and moreover, started to feel inklings of these feelings in 2008). Something has definitely changed, and I refuse to believe the people that say that what Coldplay are doing now is a wholly "natural progression" for the band, or that the new stuff sounds like "classic Coldplay." I feel that somewhere along the line, there was a somewhat-conscious change in direction, for better or for worse depending on your tastes.

But the thing that gets me about this era is the level of tact of the fans. Despite the fact that we know people like Debs, and at least formerly maybe Phil and the guys themselves check in on here, I don't think that means we should just make it rainbows and smiles all the time--we should say what we actually feel in a constructive way. But we should say it FAIRLY and with RESPECT, the lack of which is really blowing me away this time around. And that's what's unfortunate to me. There are certainly a few things that I've said on here in the past few months that I wish I'd worded better, but I think we all just need to think a bit longer before hitting "post" sometimes. Everyone's perfectly within their rights to say that they don't like something, no matter who's reading it. The key is in how you say it. It makes me horribly sad that the band and their team feel less than positively about Coldplaying in the past few years (really, I think that probably was helped along by the display of ungratefulness last Christmas after the boat party episode), but I don't think that's simply because some parties are less than in love with things, I think it's because some parties don't know how to give a constructive, respectful take on their thoughts, especially in relation to other peoples' thoughts.

This is a great thread and I'm sad it took me this long to realize it existed. Most people have said what I would have said earlier, but that's never stopped me before :P

The bottom line for me is that I'm actually very interested in the board reaction to this era/album, warts and all. I lurked around X&Y's release and was here for Viva's, and there were certainly dissatisfied customers then too, but what interests me is the sheer amount of displeasure this time around. How people have expressed that displeasure aside, I think there's definitely something to be said about that--it's not like it's just coincidence that so many fans aren't feeling what they're doing these days (and moreover, started to feel inklings of these feelings in 2008). Something has definitely changed, and I refuse to believe the people that say that what Coldplay are doing now is a wholly "natural progression" for the band, or that the new stuff sounds like "classic Coldplay." I feel that somewhere along the line, there was a somewhat-conscious change in direction, for better or for worse depending on your tastes.

But the thing that gets me about this era is the level of tact of the fans. Despite the fact that we know people like Debs, and at least formerly maybe Phil and the guys themselves check in on here, I don't think that means we should just make it rainbows and smiles all the time--we should say what we actually feel in a constructive way. But we should say it FAIRLY and with RESPECT, the lack of which is really blowing me away this time around. And that's what's unfortunate to me. There are certainly a few things that I've said on here in the past few months that I wish I'd worded better, but I think we all just need to think a bit longer before hitting "post" sometimes. Everyone's perfectly within their rights to say that they don't like something, no matter who's reading it. The key is in how you say it. It makes me horribly sad that the band and their team feel less than positively about Coldplaying in the past few years (really, I think that probably was helped along by the display of ungratefulness last Christmas after the boat party episode), but I don't think that's simply because some parties are less than in love with things, I think it's because some parties don't know how to give a constructive, respectful take on their thoughts, especially in relation to other peoples' thoughts.

As always, GREAT post!

Yea that's what I mean about the hate going on, that they do it without RESPECT. That is what I really hate, not that people say they don't like the song.

Ah for gods sake stop being so corny it absolutely drives me through the roof! I just come on here and read “oh my god why all the hatred… oh my gosh I love you colpdlay ooooohhh dear god don’t let these hateful people break OUR BAND WITH THER HATRED OOOOOHH”.

ITS NOT LIKE WE WOKE UP ONE MORNING AND NOW WE HATE THEM OKAY?!

What no godforsaken earthly creature on here seems to understand is that if it wasn’t for the older fans Coldplay wouldn’t be here today so we’re just expecting a little sympathy.

Um, im an older fan.

Omg this post:rolleyes:

From my point of view, I honestly don't want to be talking about how awful Coldplay has become... especially since I joined this site to express my excitement about the new album. BUT I'm not saying the dislike is unjustified. I understand that Coldplay has changed and that the lyrical content of the new songs is not up to standards. If we could reasonably express our opinions instead of treating this as if it were the end of the world I think we'd all get along a lot better.

People who will like Coldplay no matter what need to realize that Coldplay is not godly. People who absolutely hate the new stuff need to realize they're on a Coldplay fan website, and they're going to be arguing with people who think Coldplay's godly... because you're on a FAN website. Fans usually think their band is godly. If I'm correct, I think 'fan' is short for 'fanatic', which is a synonym for 'zealot', 'devotee', 'radical', 'dogmatist', and 'diehard'.

I see how Mylo Xyloto is not as good as the rest of the albums. Paradise and ETIAW are fluffy and frivolous, but here's what I think I understand: Coldplay is telling a narrative through the album. All of the songs are adding up together to tell a story. The lyrics for one song, then, are dependent on the narrative and don't stand alone very well independently (unless you're into it). I'm a little flustered by the fact none of the songs stand alone very well, but I'm excited to hear the album as a whole. I honestly think this album won't be as awful as all of the fans are making it out to be, but comparatively I can see how it might be their worst. Truthfully though, I'd personally rather hear Coldplay's worst than Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, and all of the rappers out there any day. So enjoy the fluffiness and frivolousness for god's sake. They have yet to go through a slump, and if this is it, then start getting excited to LP6! ;)

(PS, I don't mean to offend anyone! I'm just stating what I perceive and observe)

From my point of view, I honestly don't want to be talking about how awful Coldplay has become... especially since I joined this site to express my excitement about the new album. BUT I'm not saying the dislike is unjustified. I understand that Coldplay has changed and that the lyrical content of the new songs is not up to standards. If we could reasonably express our opinions instead of treating this as if it were the end of the world I think we'd all get along a lot better.

People who will like Coldplay no matter what need to realize that Coldplay is not godly. People who absolutely hate the new stuff need to realize they're on a Coldplay fan website, and they're going to be arguing with people who think Coldplay's godly... because you're on a FAN website. Fans usually think their band is godly. If I'm correct, I think 'fan' is short for 'fanatic', which is a synonym for 'zealot', 'devotee', 'radical', 'dogmatist', and 'diehard'.

I see how Mylo Xyloto is not as good as the rest of the albums. Paradise and ETIAW are fluffy and frivolous, but here's what I think I understand: Coldplay is telling a narrative through the album. All of the songs are adding up together to tell a story. The lyrics for one song, then, are dependent on the narrative and don't stand alone very well independently (unless you're into it). I'm a little flustered by the fact none of the songs stand alone very well, but I'm excited to hear the album as a whole. I honestly think this album won't be as awful as all of the fans are making it out to be, but comparatively I can see how it might be their worst. Truthfully though, I'd personally rather hear Coldplay's worst than Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, and all of the rappers out there any day. So enjoy the fluffiness and frivolousness for god's sake. They have yet to go through a slump, and if this is it, then start getting excited to LP6! ;)

(PS, I don't mean to offend anyone! I'm just stating what I perceive and observe)

Agree :)

I wonder if Coldplay reads what people are saying about the new album? They released some songs and if they read what the majority of people are saying, it's not good. You will always have people that will trash you, but when the majority of fans that have loved your music for years is saying this is crap, maybe you should think twice about releasing it, if you want the people who buy your albums to buy your album. When Viva La Vida came out, the song hits you right away and it draws you in and you know it's going to be a great song. This album has none of that. When the bad reviews start coming out and the album sales are the worst of all their albums, maybe it will push them in a better direction

^This post came up after I posted mine, and I agree. I hope this happens. Thats what they did with X&Y (even tho I thought it was great). But since Chris says that this could be their last album I'm afraid they're going to be so disappointed that they won't release one ever again.

ANYWAYS about previous things that have been happening.

Everybody should just shut up about it. Because whenever someone says that they don't like the new direction and it's their opinion, someone else comes and says that I'm wrong and change is good and thank god that they're mainstream. But I don't care I don't like it and I'm a fan. And then when people come and say that they do like it other fans say that they're dumb for liking the new songs.

So theres no point in stating and opinion if you're not willing to change your mind. That's debating, reasoning and agreeing. You all need to respect one's opinion.

Chris ALWAYS says it's going to be their last album, though. Will recently explained that he thinks Chris means that once they've just finished a record, the tank is empty and the idea of putting out another ever is so daunting that they can't even think about it.

I think that often times, releasing music is an intricate balance of pleasing yourself vs. pleasing the fans. I guess my "point" in expressing my thoughts on this board isn't in that I hope they or someone from their team finds it and takes it into consideration, it's more just about discussing music with other like-minded people for me. But at the same time, I really do find this trend of a lot of fans, specifically older fans, expressing this much doubt to be interesting, and because I think the team is aware of it (unfortunately, I think they're aware of the most disrespectful end of it), if I were them I might be interested in evaluating that discontent a bit, whether or not it influenced my later work.

Well said indeed. You've expressed my thoughts exactly.

Everything that I could say has been stated already in this wonderful thread (why didn't I come here earlier?) so all I can do at this point is read and agree.

I do hope that the guys read this thread, if only to assure them that their fans are still here supporting them.

Well said indeed. You've expressed my thoughts exactly.

Everything that I could say has been stated already in this wonderful thread (why didn't I come here earlier?) so all I can do at this point is read and agree.

I do hope that the guys read this thread, if only to assure them that their fans are still here supporting them.

You have just lifted the doom hanging over some of the threads! Thank you. :wink3: