✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on all this:

First, I should state that I'm not 100% on board with the notion Chris' songwriting has changed all that much (Us Against the world being probably the most oft cited example of an "old coldplay" sounding track on MX), but even the newer songs like ETDIAWF still have segments of the lyrics that sound totally Chris-esque (for lack of a better term. For example:

The line

"SO YOU CAN HURT, HURT ME BAD

BUT STILL I'LL RAISE THE FLAG"

Really sticks out to me as sounding like classic Chris.

That said, to the extent that his writing may have changed, and that change

is influenced by factors in his life, I still don't think you can put that

change solely down to fame and Money. When he wrote Parachutes, he was

a shy university student new to London in his early 20's. Now he's a (presumably)

happily married family man with a couple kids in his mid 30's. Rich and

famous or not, he wouldn't be the same person now as he was then. Also, many

of his early songs were about unrequited love in some fashion or other, which made

sense at the time because he was by all accounts fairly hapless when it came

to the girls, now he can't write such lament filled love songs because he's

(again, as far as we know) in a long term loving relationship. In fact, to the

extent the songs on MX sound different to my ear it's because they are more

upbeat and positive. Chris (and the rest of the boys), surely all have plenty

of things in their lives to be positive about these days so again that makes sense.

Chris is also influenced by additional styles of music (such as his well documented fondness

for pop) than he was when they started. Again this is because the past 10+ years of his life have

exposed him to a variety of new experiences. That happens to everyone, famous or not.

Even when they write a happy song they're always the underdogs. That's what Charlie Brown's about. That's what ETIAW is about. From underneath the rubble sing a rebel song. I'm sorry but I have to say that people who worship the "old Coldplay" must be sad pathetic losers. :sad: I mean, I feel like that sometimes, and when I do, I can relate to their earlier stuff. I love those albums too. Everyone feels down once in a while, but what's the point of living if you can't allow yourself to enjoy an uplifting song with retarded lyrics? :D

Just... stop dude

No more posting.

Just... stop dude

No more posting.

Ok... :disappointed: 17,000,000 posts dudette. :whip:

That's my last post regarding this matter. I'm already regretting writing this, I just wanted to respond to all the negativity surrounding the album.

i think coldplay lyrics have always been basic. paradise and ETIAW shouldn't be criticized for their lyrics because coldplay lyrics aren't held to a high standard

exactly! listen to pink floyd if ur after lyrics that'll blow your head off. actually bono always writes pretty damn good stuff; even after 30 years

^ I hope/assume you are talking about two different things, right? Bono is not in Pink Floyd, but in U2.

Love your avatar, btw :D

Hm, I wouldn't take U2 (Bono) as an example of how they always write great stuff. Some examples of why I disagree:

“I know a girl, a girl named Party Girl. Party Girl. I know she wants more than a party, Party Girl. And she won’t tell me her name. Oh no.”

- Party Girl

“You know you're chewing bubble-gum. You know what that is but you still want some. You just can’t get enough of that lovie, dovie stuff. Let’s go. Let’s go. Oh, oh, oh. Discotheque. Come on. Come on.”

- Discotheque (but it’s also written by The Edge, maybe he came up with these lines)

“Unos, dos, tres, catorce! Swinging to the music, swinging to the music. Hello, hello, hola, I am in a place called Vertigo. Donde estas? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah”

- Vertigo (Lillywhite helped Bono with these lyrics. I bet that without his help they would have been much better!)

“Dressing like your sister, living like a ‘tard. They don’t know what you’re doing. Babe, it must be art”

- Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me

“Gonna blow right through ya like a breeze”

- Even better than the real thing

“I try to sing this song. I, I try to get in, but I can’t find the door. The door is open”

- Gloria

No wait, The last line is not even written by Bono, but taken from the Bible (James). Great part of the Bible to quote.

^ I hope/assume you are talking about two different things, right? Bono is not in Pink Floyd, but in U2.

Love your avatar, btw :D

Hm, I wouldn't take U2 (Bono) as an example of how they always write great stuff. Some examples of why I disagree:

“I know a girl, a girl named Party Girl. Party Girl. I know she wants more than a party, Party Girl. And she won’t tell me her name. Oh no.”

- Party Girl

“You know you're chewing bubble-gum. You know what that is but you still want some. You just can’t get enough of that lovie, dovie stuff. Let’s go. Let’s go. Oh, oh, oh. Discotheque. Come on. Come on.”

- Discotheque (but it’s also written by The Edge, maybe he came up with these lines)

“Unos, dos, tres, catorce! Swinging to the music, swinging to the music. Hello, hello, hola, I am in a place called Vertigo. Donde estas? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah”

- Vertigo (Lillywhite helped Bono with these lyrics. I bet that without his help they would have been much better!)

“Dressing like your sister, living like a ‘tard. They don’t know what you’re doing. Babe, it must be art”

- Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me

“Gonna blow right through ya like a breeze”

- Even better than the real thing

“I try to sing this song. I, I try to get in, but I can’t find the door. The door is open”

- Gloria

No wait, The last line is not even written by Bono, but taken from the Bible (James). Great part of the Bible to quote.

hahaha yeah those are terrible. but there are some great ones too i just cant be bothered to quote them all!! plus even in these you can sort of make sense what hes on about. whereas with chris he often comes up with entirely random and unrelated things u can think of in a song

oh no i always thought bono was in pink floyd! :lol: so i gathered u arent a fan of the gaga?!:cry:

I think everyone is giving good points. No one is wrong because you're just saying how you feel. Some people here are saying that Coldplays new stuff from mx lyrically isn't up to par. Others are saying that CP's older stuff also wasnt really all that great lyrically.

For in my place for example, the lyrics aren't that deep but the tone of the song really moves me. It gives me a depressed but satisfying feeling, in a good way. I feel like I can really feel what Chris is saying. I like mx too, probably the first cp album since AROBTTH that I can listen to from start to finish without feeling tempted to skip certain songs. The difference with mx is I feel they are so happy in songs that it just feels cheesy to me. But they are in different places of their life now with kids and being married and all. Either way, I just will be one sad fellow when Coldplay stops making music.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.778272,-77.092412

^I basically agree with you.

First of all, I LOVE Paradise's lyrics. They are very meaningful and moving. They remind people that happiness is a choice, that people are only about as happy as they make their minds up to be, and that if you don't find happiness in wherever you are right now, you won't be happy anywhere else. Paradise is a state of mind. That's what the song means, and in my own opinion, it's a very great and powerful meaning...something that, if a lot more people could only realise, there'd be so much more happiness on ths earth. Us Against the World makes me cry every time I hear it...its words are just amazing. Also Up With the Birds, Up In Flames, and U.F.O. make me very emotional. That means there's some substance at least to these songs, if they can move a person to tears. While I will say that yes, MX is WAY different from anything else CP has ever done, I think they've earned the right to experiment a bit, and to be honest MX grows on me more and more each time I hear it. I just love it. And it's fine if someone else doesn't like it, we're all entitled to our own opinions, and certain songs may not always speak to everyone in the same way. While I honestly would love to see CP go back to their Rush of Blood era sound a bit more for future albums, they've already given us SO much ridiculously awesome music, I feel it's rather sacrilegious to complain. And I don't believe for a single second that money and fame is getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities. CP is still the most refreshingly humble band I know of, and I find that quite awesome, considering they have just as much right as anyone to let fame go to their heads. Chris Martin's songwriting, in my opinion, is just as great as ever, he's just experimenting a bit. And while I respect everyone's opinion, this is mine. And no matter WHAT anyone does, no one can please everyone ALL the time, and, quite frankly, as long as Chris Martin is putting his whole heart and soul into songwriting (which, watching him perform with such soul, I don't think anyone could ever say all of his music isn't extremely special to him), that's all I really care.

They remind people that happiness is a choice, that people are only about as happy as they make their minds up to be, and that if you don't find happiness in wherever you are right now, you won't be happy anywhere else.

Holy crud you're ignorant

Not only that, also saying that if you don't find it here (eg. in a house with very abusive boyfriend) you won’t find it anywhere (eg. get the fuck away from that abusive boyfriend). Does that mean that happiness is just a state of mind and you should happily smile when he beats again some teeth out of your mouth, because if you are unhappy with the situation it’s just because you are having the wrong state of mind?

Kind of like this:

9924603.jpg

14696042.jpg

nvdmm, I'm not a fan of the gaga, but I don't mind her music nor her crazy appearances, hahaha!