✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-Dec-2011] Coldplay @ SECC, Glasgow, Scotland

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cry:

is this the Setlist, sorry the concert is 2 hours ago and here are the speculation are running. Where is the Setlist. Is here no scotish man that confirm the setlist.

When U2 play at takatuka land, than is 30 seconds after concert a confirmed Setlist on a German Side calls U2tour. de. :inquisitive:

where is the Problem, why needs it so long, to send the Setlist from tonights gig in Glasgow.

Thanks for the z

set list

To be fair, Chris has referred to those as metalhead audiences that didn't care for soft rock. It really breaks my heart when I hear those stories. I'm so glad they soldiered on and found their own audience. What a tragedy had they packed their bags and gone home!

It felt so good to read Roadie 42 blog where he referred to us as a Coldplay audience when writing about their September gig in ATL.

Apparently that day, they really were thinking of packing it in. I didn't get the full story, but we owe their North-Eastern US A&R Rep a debt of gratitude for holding their hands and encouraging them forward. We almost lot them that day! (Or so I've heard.)

Glad to see everyone is angry/disappointed about the short set (and the fact the band seemingly couldn't be arsed to come up with a new show).

I understand the argument for keeping the set unchanged for production reasons, but why couldn't they have a new 1h 45m show which included 42, Strawberry Swing, Death and All His Friends, Us Against The World, Lovers In Japan, Amsterdam, Don't Let It Break Your Heart, Up With The Birds, A Message, High Speed, etc, etc.?

I am f*ckin' sick of Yellow, Fix You, Clocks, The Scientist, In My Place - who cares about the "tourists" (casual fans as I call them). Surely the band should be worried about alienating their core audience as opposed to someone who only cares about Viva La Vida?

When they left the stage at 1015 (barely an hour and 10 mins after they started), I was like "WHAT?" and thought there would be two encores. Then when I saw the arena staff get into position for everyone leaving (during Fix You), my heart sank. Why shouldn't we get to hear Christmas Lights? Christmas is three weeks away, or are they just going to play that for London.

I would say I am jealous of those attending the UK stadium gigs next summer, but I honestly don't think things will be any different. I love the band and their music, but having seen them four times now, I don't think I need to see them for a long long time...

It's simple numbers. When a band gets as popular as Coldplay, their "core audience" as you put it is simply not as big as the other group. Sad as it may be, from a business perspective, if you have to alienate one group,it has to be the smaller one. Is it a s***ty deal for long term fans? Yeah, but that's the way Arena shows go, which is one of the big reasons some people don't like acts once they get so massive.

I wasn't counting LiT or Postcards or The Escapist as songs. If that was the case it'd be 24 or so which isn't at all accurate.

Muse do 16 songs each night and that's terrible and inexcusable. Despite having slightly longer songs than Coldplay they still only play for 90 minutes. Muse are not a good example in terms of playing time, song numbers or setlists. Coldplay manage to do all of those better, despite not being great at it.

I don't know about the exact times but I'm hearing that VLV shows went for close to two hours? They should be doing that at the bare minimum now. Either way, they're still playing shorter shows and there's no excuse for that.

I'm not a big fan of Muse, I only picked them because they have a reputation for being one of the best live acts in the world right now. Plus, I'm hard pressed to think of a band with a more similar profile to Coldplay (in terms of catalog size, popularity, style of live production etc.) At their last show here in Chicago (which was an arena show, not when they played at lolla in August), I think they did like 15 songs.

Coldplay at the SECC, Glasgow, review

Chris Martin was is in a sweary mood for a freezing Coldplay gig at the SECC in Glasgow.

4 out of 5 stars

Coldplay_2075100b.jpg

Chris Martin of Coldplay performs in Glasgow

An evilly cold and rainy Saturday night in a big concrete shed in Glasgow, and nice Chris Martin is in a sweary mood. The Scottish city is “the best f---ing place” to start Coldplay’s world tour. “Let’s f---ing go for it!” the singer bellows during God Put a Smile Upon Your Face. “If anyone’s writing a review of the show, please don’t ---- us on that one,” the sweat-sodden frontman beseeches, after fluffing the piano on echoey ballad Up in Flames.

Martin is famously – to paraphrase their recent single – para-para-paranoid. As he’s observed of late, his band are a “s--- Radiohead”, and not as good as Take That. But the figures speak volumes: Coldplay’s fifth album Mylo Xyloto went to Number One in 17 countries. In the US it sold almost half a million copies in one week. They’re playing sold-out football stadiums next summer. They’re a people’s – rather than a critics’ – rock band, and if anyone can alchemise wet evenings in ugly arenas such as the SECC into a feelgood singalong, it’s Coldplay.

But they’re not leaving anything to chance. The band bursts onstage with Hurts Like Heaven, their neon-graffiti stage backdrop as lively as the song. Then, cued by the springy chorus, the wristbands given to the audience as they entered start flashing red, green, white and blue. It’s a mobile, energetic disco light show featuring 10,000 giddy participants.

Just in case there were any doubters, Coldplay have firmly corralled everyone onside.

In quick succession they wheel out a beefed-up version of first hit Yellow, a thumpingly soulful In My Place, huge balloons and a confetti cannon spraying paper butterflies. They’ve only been onstage for 22 minutes.

Keen as ever not to be viewed through life’s square window, Coldplay deploy big, circular screens and swirling fractal imagery. But all the bells, whistles, lasers and fancy origami play second fiddle to the songs. Eleven years since they released their first album, the four-piece have an enviable back catalogue of chunky anthems. The lyrics to the likes of Politik and The Scientist may not bear much scrutiny, but it doesn’t stop everyone lustily joining in, heads thrown back and arms thrown aloft.

Martin, meanwhile, is the consummate ringmaster-cum-party host. When he isn’t asking how we’re doing, he’s endlessly boinging around the stage, belting up and down the walkway into the middle of the crowd, and flexing his gym-toned biceps in a cap-sleeved T-shirt (thankfully they’ve ditched the try-hard Les Mis clobber of the last album).

After a nicely judged 90 minutes it’s all over bar the unprompted mass chanting of the refrain from Viva La Vida. Afterwards the sound reverberates round the frozen car park, 10,000 Glaswegian cockles duly warmed. You’d have to have an icy chip in your heart not to be similarly moved.

link

Why don't they play Speed of Sound any more? It always seems like a big omission to me. Maybe due to it's similarity to Clocks? I would have rather had that than What If, but it's nice to hear it again either way. Now we just need Trouble, Square One or Amsterdam...

Why don't they play Speed of Sound any more? It always seems like a big omission to me. Maybe due to it's similarity to Clocks? I would have rather had that than What If, but it's nice to hear it again either way. Now we just need Trouble, Square One or Amsterdam...

Because Guy doesn't want to play Speed of Sound, lol. And he needs to settle down. I love that song.

First of all, a brilliant show on Saturday night. I hadn't sent a message as everyone else seemed to have covered everything I was going to say.

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but one of the wristbands we got on Saturday has been lit up all day! It went off like everyone else's after the gig on Saturday night, but came back on this morning. Would be interested to hear if there has been any other news on this.

First of all, a brilliant show on Saturday night. I hadn't sent a message as everyone else seemed to have covered everything I was going to say.

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but one of the wristbands we got on Saturday has been lit up all day! It went off like everyone else's after the gig on Saturday night, but came back on this morning. Would be interested to hear if there has been any other news on this.

My glowband has been sitting beside my bed and hasn't lit up since. I was half hoping it might start flashing on Sunday night when the Manchester gig started but no such luck :(

This was the first time i've seen Coldplay live and I loved every second of it! I cannot tell you how it felt to be bouncing along to Charlie Brown, with 10,000 others, waving our glowbands in the air :)

Highlights were the butterfly confetti, Chris telling the crowd to cheer louder for Jonny because he was "Jonny f***ing Buckland" and wathcing my dad's face as '99 problems' was played just before Coldplay came on stage. It was a picture :D

I think someone posted a picture i tweeted a few pages back of Jonny and Chris amidst the butterfly confetti. I wondered where all these new Coldplay folowers had come from!!

I'm chuffed that this gig will be remembered for the start of the world tour and the debut of the glowbands, and I was lucky enough to be there! Here's hoping they return to Glasgow soon.....

• 3 weeks later...

i went to see them at glasgow, i put together some of my videos, have a look! It includes short clips of Coldplay performing-

In My place, Yellow, Violet Hill, The Scientist, Hurts like Heaven, Fix You, Viva La Vida, Paradise, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Charlie Brown

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ErKPvwdDg]Coldplay Live in Concert 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

or

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ErKPvwdDg&context=C3140466ADOEgsToPDskKO2ww77x9fu4Gk46ZNfv6s]Coldplay Live in Concert 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

not sure which link will work haha,x:D

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a month to review them, but now here they are. Three clips from Glasgow which I filmed from Row 2:

A compilation incl. Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Paradise, Fix You and Every Teardrop...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH5oKi0lhLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH5oKi0lhLo[/ame]

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oie_oQOGOT8&hd=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oie_oQOGOT8&hd=1[/ame]

In My Place

[ame=

]
[/ame]