✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-Dec-2011] Coldplay @ SECC, Glasgow, Scotland

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They weren't playing shows the six months preceding the Viva Tour though. I still don't see how they are playing just 90minutes :confused:

Without passing judgment one way or the other, it's just how the band do things.

There are certain criticisms that get leveled at the band every tour (short shows, unchanging setlist being the two most prominent.) and although I personally am not bothered by either of these things, it's clear a lot of people are. That said, it's pretty clear that that's what a Coldplay show is like, and since they've been playing that way for 10 years now, it's probably how their shows are going to stay. If either of these things ruin the concert for you (or make it not worth the money to you), you probably shouldn't go as you're just going to end up disappointed as well as out the money. I don't mean this as a criticism, just an observation. There are certain bands I won't see live, because I find things about their shows disappointing, maybe for some of you Coldplay is one of those bands.

Without passing judgment one way or the other, it's just how the band do things.

There are certain criticisms that get leveled at the band every tour (short shows, unchanging setlist being the two most prominent.) and although I personally am not bothered by either of these things, it's clear a lot of people are. That said, it's pretty clear that that's what a Coldplay show is like, and since they've been playing that way for 10 years now, it's probably how their shows are going to stay. If either of these things ruin the concert for you (or make it not worth the money to you), you probably shouldn't go as you're just going to end up disappointed as well as out the money. I don't mean this as a criticism, just an observation. There are certain bands I won't see live, because I find things about their shows disappointing, maybe for some of you Coldplay is one of those bands.

Well said!

With their shows, their sound/lighting is timed so tightly that there's not much room for jamming or changing up the list a lot without a lot of tech work to go with it, so they've generally kept a couple of slots free to switch songs, and done the rest the same each time.

I miss 'the old days' when they were more flexible, but as someone else already said, any show of theirs will be sensational to me no matter what they do with the setlist! :)

But to each, their own.

Well said!

With their shows, their sound/lighting is timed so tightly that there's not much room for jamming or changing up the list a lot without a lot of tech work to go with it, so they've generally kept a couple of slots free to switch songs, and done the rest the same each time.

I miss 'the old days' when they were more flexible, but as someone else already said, any show of theirs will be sensational to me no matter what they do with the setlist! :)

But to each, their own.

I'm not necessarily defending them though. In my view it's perfectly alright if people find the shows unacceptably short or whatever else (and frankly I've never bought the tech excuse.)

My only point was, that whatever shortcomings their shows may have, I doubt anyone who follows the band enough to actually post on here can't have heard these same criticisms since at least the Twisted Logic tour.

Should the band play longer? Probably. Will they ever? Probably not. (almost 10 years of evidence to back me up on that) Armed with that knowledge, people have to decide if paying to go to the shows is worth it to them, but it should hardly be a surprise that this tour is like the other two before it.

I'm not necessarily defending them though. In my view it's perfectly alright if people find the shows unacceptably short or whatever else (and frankly I've never bought the tech excuse.)

My only point was, that whatever shortcomings their shows may have, I doubt anyone who follows the band enough to actually post on here can't have heard these same criticisms since at least the Twisted Logic tour.

Should the band play longer? Probably. Will they ever? Probably not. (almost 10 years of evidence to back me up on that) Armed with that knowledge, people have to decide if paying to go to the shows is worth it to them, but it should hardly be a surprise that this tour is like the other two before it.

No, I didn't read that as a defense, and I'd love them to play longer, but as you said, if you pay for a Coldplay show, you pretty much know what to expect. For me, that's still good enough...more than good enough! But if that's not what you want for your $110+ then don't buy the ticket. (To each their own, like I said.)

And yeah, I have read these same complaints since Twisted Logic, so I don't know why anyone is surprised at this point. But to be fair, there are a lot of new fans who don't know what to expect and would love changes.

The 'tech excuse' comes from Debs, so I give it some credit, but she works for the band, so she'll say what she'll say. (Props to her for saying anything at all!)

I'd love to see Coldplay as a 'Jam Band' but it ain't likely,lol. It's just nice to see your intelligent post as apposed to people complaining about so much, so, well said!

:)

EDIT: And NO, I'm not accusing anyone who complains of not being intelligent. Better clear that up before I have to duck!

No, I didn't read that as a defense, and I'd love them to play longer, but as you said, if you pay for a Coldplay show, you pretty much know what to expect. For me, that's still good enough...more than good enough! But if that's not what you want for your $110+ then don't buy the ticket. (To each their own, like I said.)

And yeah, I have read these same complaints since Twisted Logic, so I don't know why anyone is surprised at this point. But to be fair, there are a lot of new fans who don't know what to expect and would love changes.

The 'tech excuse' comes from Debs, so I give it some credit, but she works for the band, so she'll say what she'll say. (Props to her for saying anything at all!)

I'd love to see Coldplay as a 'Jam Band' but it ain't likely,lol. It's just nice to see your intelligent post as apposed to people complaining about so much, so, well said!

:)

EDIT: And NO, I'm not accusing anyone who complains of not being intelligent. Better clear that up before I have to duck!

Well, there are other bands who do have complex stage shows which also manage to change up their sets. It could be done if the band wanted to, but apparently they don't. Like I said above, doesn't really bother me, but if it bothers others, that's cool. You pay your money, you're entitled to your opinion.

I certainly think Colplay's sets could be longer, but having seen at least one show on every tour since AROBTTH, I still think their shows are pretty satisfying generally, and I've certainly seen other arena show from big acts with shorter headline sets. Of the top of my head, I've been to shows by both Oasis and Aerosmith in the last several years which both barely cracked the 70 minute mark.

Well.. never did I say I was disappointed by it, I was just confused by the people saying "Oh, this is just how Viva was" which is not comparable because they already are warmed up already for this tour (and have been for months)

P.S. I saw the boys four times in the past four months so im not going anywhere.

Well.. never did I say I was disappointed by it, I was just confused by the people saying "Oh, this is just how Viva was" which is not comparable because they already are warmed up already for this tour (and have been for months)

P.S. I saw the boys four times in the past four months so im not going anywhere.

Except for the stadium shows though. almost all the Viva shows were in the 90 minutes range. There were a couple back during twisted logic, where they barely played over an hour, which is pushing it IMHO. Most of the acts I've seen go over 2 hours are veteran acts with decades of material to draw from. I am pleasently surprised that the boys seem to have dusted off a couple older deep cuts for yesterday's gig though.

Exactly, well said. I would love them to play for longer--I think they're capable of it, and I don't see why they don't at least try it out. But at the same time, it's not like we had any reason to suspect they'd play for longer this time around. I think they're always going to be a band that sticks to a setlist for a long period of time with only small changes, and they're going to be a 90-minute band for the forseeable future. We should all either know that already or get used to it, really.

Well, there are other bands who do have complex stage shows which also manage to change up their sets. It could be done if the band wanted to, but apparently they don't. Like I said above, doesn't really bother me, but if it bothers others, that's cool. You pay your money, you're entitled to your opinion.

I certainly think Colplay's sets could be longer, but having seen at least one show on every tour since AROBTTH, I still think their shows are pretty satisfying generally, and I've certainly seen other arena show from big acts with shorter headline sets. Of the top of my head, I've been to shows by both Oasis and Aerosmith in the last several years which both barely cracked the 70 minute mark.

I didn't have the pleasure of attending, but I saw video footage of a +LIVE+ gig that was over 3.5 hours...nearly 4. They only stopped because their drummer was starting to get blisters from his sticks! That would be amazing to see from Coldplay!

Some of us old fogies have been to Grateful Dead shows too, and damn, what fun it would be to see Coldplay just take off and run with a jam!!

*slowly crawls back to reality*

^That's what it looked like to me from the short video clip too.

One thing I'll say for Coldplay: Whether you like or dislike the length of their sets, they always try to use the lighting to see/interact with their fans. (Most here probably know that a band on that kind of stage really can't see anyone in the venue). A lot of bands do this, but with the wristbands, the band can probably see little twinkles of lights, even if they can't see the people wearing them. Touch of class, boys!

I think they prefer to have a shorter set just like they prefer a shorter album. It's a quality over quantity type of thing. Even though we, the huge fans, would love longer albums and shows, other people would be looking at their watches wondering when its going to end.

^You might have a point there. I once went to a show where radio listeners only wanted to hear 'Yellow' and didn't give a shit about the rest...even to the point of heckling and insulting the band! (River Rave near Boston, 2001). As a fan I felt sad for them and embarrassed for the audience. They're able to do whatever they want now though. They don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. But maybe they 'learned' from that early experience and don't want to alienate anyone. Trying to find a balance between new fans and old must be hard!

Still, I'd say do what you want, Guys, you're amazing no matter what!:D