✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-Dec-2011] Coldplay @ SECC, Glasgow, Scotland

^You might have a point there. I once went to a show where radio listeners only wanted to hear 'Yellow' and didn't give a shit about the rest...even to the point of heckling and insulting the band! (River Rave near Boston, 2001). As a fan I felt sad for them and embarrassed for the audience. They're able to do whatever they want now though. They don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. But maybe they 'learned' from that early experience and don't want to alienate anyone. Trying to find a balance between new fans and old must be hard!

Still, I'd say do what you want, Guys, you're amazing no matter what!:D

That's the thing though. Even though they're massive now, they still play to a lot of casual fans who want to hear the hits and not much else. I think there's even something to be said for this way of structuring a set, as I've been to concerts where bands played almost nothing but obscure deep cuts and b sides much to the delight of 5 hardcore fans in the front while the rest of the audience was confused and disappointed. One of the big reasons I can't really get into jam bands is that it always seems like unless you devote every waking hour to listening to countless bootlegs to learn the massive repertoire, you're on the outside looking in. I wonder how much of Coldplay's current audience is truly familiar with the non single tracks off their early albums.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's nothing (except themselves) stopping them from playing a longer set, with all the hits, and lots of deep cuts for the 'hardcore' fans too

this set is a step in the right direction in that it has deep cuts like Daylight and What If as well as the big hits, but there's no excuse for playing shorter sets than last tour. the VLV tour had 21 songs at most arena dates, 19 isn't too bad (could be much worse) but 21 should be the bare minimum considering last tour

there's nothing (except themselves) stopping them from playing a longer set, with all the hits, and lots of deep cuts for the 'hardcore' fans too

this set is a step in the right direction in that it has deep cuts like Daylight and What If as well as the big hits, but there's no excuse for playing shorter sets than last tour. the VLV tour had 21 songs at most arena dates, 19 isn't too bad (could be much worse) but 21 should be the bare minimum considering last tour

Yeah, but at most dates, they began with LiT, which was more like intro music than a proper song, and included things like Postcards from far Away/the Escapist as well, so I'm not sure they were ever doing more actual songs. Song number doesn't really effect length that much anyway. Muse often does fewer songs, yet the show is longer because the songs are longer. Personally, I'd go with total time played as opposed to an arbitrary number of songs.

Except for the stadium shows though. almost all the Viva shows were in the 90 minutes range. There were a couple back during twisted logic, where they barely played over an hour, which is pushing it IMHO. Most of the acts I've seen go over 2 hours are veteran acts with decades of material to draw from. I am pleasently surprised that the boys seem to have dusted off a couple older deep cuts for yesterday's gig though.

When I saw the first show of the Viva tour in July 2008, they played 20 songs. The last Viva show I saw in July 2009, they played 24 songs ( counting LIT, and PFFA, but not counting the Escapist). The last "full" show I saw at the Austin festival this year, they played 18 songs. And tonight, they played what? 20 songs, according to latest reports. It would be nice if they played 24 songs for this tour...There is definitely room for some setlist "tweaking" in upcoming shows.

Glad to see everyone is angry/disappointed about the short set (and the fact the band seemingly couldn't be arsed to come up with a new show).

I understand the argument for keeping the set unchanged for production reasons, but why couldn't they have a new 1h 45m show which included 42, Strawberry Swing, Death and All His Friends, Us Against The World, Lovers In Japan, Amsterdam, Don't Let It Break Your Heart, Up With The Birds, A Message, High Speed, etc, etc.?

I am f*ckin' sick of Yellow, Fix You, Clocks, The Scientist, In My Place - who cares about the "tourists" (casual fans as I call them). Surely the band should be worried about alienating their core audience as opposed to someone who only cares about Viva La Vida?

When they left the stage at 1015 (barely an hour and 10 mins after they started), I was like "WHAT?" and thought there would be two encores. Then when I saw the arena staff get into position for everyone leaving (during Fix You), my heart sank. Why shouldn't we get to hear Christmas Lights? Christmas is three weeks away, or are they just going to play that for London.

I would say I am jealous of those attending the UK stadium gigs next summer, but I honestly don't think things will be any different. I love the band and their music, but having seen them four times now, I don't think I need to see them for a long long time...

I am also disappointed about the short set and the "unchagend" setlist. I expected more .... the MX tour will still be awesome, but I think it could have been better.

No Christmas Lights ? No Don´t let it break your heart ? That is kinda sad.

Yeah, but at most dates, they began with LiT, which was more like intro music than a proper song, and included things like Postcards from far Away/the Escapist as well, so I'm not sure they were ever doing more actual songs. Song number doesn't really effect length that much anyway. Muse often does fewer songs, yet the show is longer because the songs are longer. Personally, I'd go with total time played as opposed to an arbitrary number of songs.

I wasn't counting LiT or Postcards or The Escapist as songs. If that was the case it'd be 24 or so which isn't at all accurate.

Muse do 16 songs each night and that's terrible and inexcusable. Despite having slightly longer songs than Coldplay they still only play for 90 minutes. Muse are not a good example in terms of playing time, song numbers or setlists. Coldplay manage to do all of those better, despite not being great at it.

I don't know about the exact times but I'm hearing that VLV shows went for close to two hours? They should be doing that at the bare minimum now. Either way, they're still playing shorter shows and there's no excuse for that.

285060-coldplay-put-glasgow-in-their-place-410x230.jpg

Coldplay put Glasgow in their place

Review: Bringing their fifth album live with a bang, Coldplay kicked off their world tour in Glasgow's SECC in an attempt to take fans to Paradise.

Long after the neon splatterings of the nu-rave revolution, Coldplay took to a kaleidoscopic stage this evening to tour latest album, Mylo Xyloto.

Entering to a regal fanfare fit for a grand superhero movie, (or more accurately Back To The Future), the super-group strode onto the stage, backed by a neon graffiti backdrop and the radiating outline of giant flowers. Bursting into sound, the instantly overpowering audio matched the visual saturation, where a large percentage of the sell-out crowd had been given a wristband on the way in. It wasn't until their opening track that all the wristbands simultaneously shot into flashing colour, forming an overwhelming rainbow galaxy in the SECC.

A wild rendition of breakthrough single Yellow featured early in the set, the high impact version of the anthem losing some of its intimacies, though enforcing uplifting euphoria on the Saturday night crowd.

The sensory overdose was enhanced even further with the release of a batch of oversized balloons, bouncing across the roof of the crowd. Engaging the full audience in the performance, Martin and the band play through exaggerated body movements and mammoth stadium volume.

With the high budget show pulling out all stops, Coldplay's next trick is multicoloured, paper butterfly explosions during the familiar guitar hook of In My Place. Certainly providing A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Martin and guitarist Jonny Buckland strut their way along a runway, to a smaller stage embedded in the enthusiastic crowd.

With a gargantuan sound this evening, Coldplay come across as much rockier than the meek and mild persona they're generally known. Although providing a wilder show for the crowd to charge along to, this sacrifices much of the band's endearing quality, with an understated rendition of The Scientist leaning more in their favour. Up until here, their set has been impressive, but distinctly lacking in any sort of personality.

With the band collecting at the end of the runway in the heart of the crowd, some stripped back jams go through the motions, though again, the show is slightly clinical and somewhat detached, regardless of the modest honesty of Til Kingdom Come, the hidden track on 2005 album X & Y.

Singing about their soul, which is masked fairly well in the show, bolder tracks, Politik and Viva La Vida suit this evening's setup, with the crowd roaring along, and Martin throwing himself around the stage in a series of backwards rolls and bad dance moves, last seen in the monkey enclosure of Edinburgh Zoo.

There's no doubt about Coldplay having the anthems, though their character-lacking performance mellowed their set into something that was a bit one level, once you'd appreciated the spectacular light show and props. They did, however, have the entire arena jumping, though Saturday night Glasgow doesn't need too much encouragement to have a good party.

Latest single Paradise had the crowd screaming along, before an encore of Clocks, Fix You and Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.

With the crowd fully involved in the show, Coldplay don't disappoint fans, though on their way to commercial Paradise they seem to have Lost all sentiment, where other stadium bands have prospered. From the reaction of the ten thousand strong, capacity audience tonight, however, it doesn't look like Coldplay will be in Trouble any time soon.

http://entertainment.stv.tv/music/285060-coldplay-put-glasgow-in-their-place/

I've just realised something - I'm going to see coldplay on Friday (9th) and they have the under 1 roof thing the next night, with the x factor final (which I think is an awful thing to do) the night after that. so I now have a really bad feeling that I'm not gonna' see a very long show, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just over an hour. I'm excites currently but now maybe a little disappointed before I've even seen it. I really hope they play Christmas lights, Im not a fan of daylight.

I've just realised something - I'm going to see coldplay on Friday (9th) and they have the under 1 roof thing the next night, with the x factor final (which I think is an awful thing to do) the night after that. so I now have a really bad feeling that I'm not gonna' see a very long show, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just over an hour. I'm excites currently but now maybe a little disappointed before I've even seen it. I really hope they play Christmas lights, Im not a fan of daylight.

I think we will still get a 90 minute show-- just nothing more. If they cut ours because of all their other commitments I will be so p***ed off because I bought the ticket before I knew all of the other stuff was going to be happening.

Although, I'd imagine they'd be able to do 2 nights in a row like that-- after all, Foo Fighters played 2 nights of almost 3 hour sets at Milton Keynes earlier in the year.

I did expect that Coldplay would play slightly longer in this tour, maybe just under 2 hours... After all, with the back catalogue they have they have enough material to warrant it now (and of course, the cost). But heck, maybe I've been spoilt with Muse, Foo Fighters, The Smashing Pumpkins ect since I last saw Coldplay.

I hope I haven't took the shine off too many people's excitement about upcoming shows by mentioning the 90 min running time. The last tour I saw was exactly the same so I would have been pleasantly surprised if they'd played longer. I just think considering the amount of albums they have and especially the price they're charging they could play at the very least an hour and 45 mins. Plus in these harder times, people see concerts as a luxury and want value for money. As cool as the wristbands are I'd forego the slick production for a longer and more stripped back concert experience. However, those of you lucky enough to be seeing them on this tour you're sure to have a blast!!!

OMG I'm so excited! :wacky:

Sorry if it's already been asked, but can someone tell me what the stage looked like (or post a picture)? I want to get front row when I see them (obviously) and I need to be prepared! :sneaky: :laugh3:

Thanks guys!

The tour programme costs £15 and is great quality and full of fantastic photos and has individual interviews with the band and Phil.

T-shirts cost £30. They had one pink one which was £22. A mug that's £12 I think. A hat (can't remember how much it was). Badge set that's £2 and Christmas cards from £5.

As for the setlist:

Mylo Xyloto

Hurts Like Heaven

Yellow

Lost!

Major Minus

In My Place

What If

Daylight

Violet Hill

Got Put A Smile on Your Face

The Scientist