✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Predict your rating for Mylo Xyloto

TwistedPolitik

I gave Parachutes an 8.5 and Viva a 9 because I felt they were equally good with Viva being slightly in favour. But I was really just quickly putting a number on everything.

At least 0.5 point differentials is somewhat understandable. Some people though are getting quite specific, assigning scores along the lines of 8.6 and 8.9. I'm curious how they decided one album is better than the other by exactly 0.3 points. And why stop there? Why not just specify the albums that gets an 8.7? What about albums scoring 8.825? :rolleyes:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how Viva has worn off for some of you guys :thinking: That's really the only album I can listen to all the way through anymore, and I still listen to DaAHF, Strawberry Swing, and Yes pretty frequently

But except for Don't Panic I haven't listened to any Parachutes songs in a while. :shrug:

I'm with you completely. Viva is just something I love to listen to as a whole, and it hasn't faded at all for me.

And I think X&Y has had more staying power for me than Parachutes... Parachutes still has Shiver, Dont Panic, Yellow, and Everythings Not Lost. But X&Y still has Fix You, Swallowed in the Sea (Such an underrated song..), Square One, What If, Talk.

It's just all personal preference that leads to what has staying power and what doesn't :smart:

Hello! My name is Mylo Xyloto and it hurts like heaven that you don't like me and are giving me these ratings. I had the intention of taking you to paradise, but I guess that my friend Charlie Brown convinced you that I will suck at it.

I guess that my friends of Coldplay were right when the told me that this ride would feel like it was us against the world. Therefore, I don't see other option than calling my girlfriend M.M.I.X. and tell her that every teardrop is a waterfall. Reading this whole thread indeed gave me a major minus feeling.

I really hope that my U.F.O. comes down here and abduct you all for not liking me. After all, I came here to convince the princess of China of not setting up this planet up in flames. So goodbye, I am going back to my planet through a hopeful transmission.

If you ever regret your bad opinion on me, don't let it break your heart since I will always be up with the birds.

Sincerely,

MX

:lol:

You guys! X&Y was amazing! IT had Fix you! And Talk! Square One, White Shadows??! I LOVED X&Y! Plus VIVA was fantastically amazing! :) It had Lovers In Japan! And OMG. YES! And aside from the OBVIOUS Viva La Vida, what about 42? Or Death and All His Friends? Or OMFG. Strawbery Swing??

How can you not LOVE everything they do?? They're all amazing!!

You guys! X&Y was amazing! IT had Fix you! And Talk! Square One, White Shadows??! I LOVED X&Y! Plus VIVA was fantastically amazing! :) It had Lovers In Japan! And OMG. YES! And aside from the OBVIOUS Viva La Vida, what about 42? Or Death and All His Friends? Or OMFG. Strawbery Swing??

Fix You, Talk = Terrible lyrics. Fix You is good musically though.

Square One is meh. White Shadows suffers from the lyrical thing too. Plus, it's just not as original or epic as most of their other songs.

Yes, X&Y had many good songs. But the album as a whole, however, was awfully bloated and repetetive. VLV, however, is about as good as an album gets.

Just my opinion of course.

I guess to me that a "perfect" album (or at least a really, really great album--I feel like I only have 3 or 4 albums that are actually perfect to me) doesn't necessarily mean that every single song on the album absolutely blows me away. A lot of albums that I call my absolute favorites have one dud, sometimes even two, that I like much less than the rest of the songs. For example, Julian Casablancas's Phrazes For The Young will forever be one of the best albums in the world in my opinion, but two of the songs (and there are only 8!) are just not for me. I guess in general, I just take albums on the whole, rather than how much each separate song ranks and contributes to its merit. It has to do with flow and coherence and themes to me :shrug:.

Maybe that's why I feel like I like X&Y more than most people seem to. Even though it's overly long and samey, and it's certainly not my favorite work of theirs, I think something it does very well is keep up common ideas and sonic themes.

I think something it does very well is keep up common ideas and sonic themes.

The thing is, I'm not sure that's always a good thing. I like to see different themes in my music, and X&Y doesn't really work that way. It's slow song, fast song, slow song, fast song, slow song...no variation at all.

By the way, which albums do you consider perfect? I'm curious.

Parachutes 8/10

AROBTTH 8.9/10

X&Y 9.4 / 10

VLVODAAHF - 8.4/10

Mylo Xyloto - I never thought anything would beat X&Y as my favourite Coldplay album but MX is so good, I reckon its going to be a masterpiece I would say for now a 9/10 but probably 9.6 if it is as good as I think it will be :D

The thing is, I'm not sure that's always a good thing. I like to see different themes in my music, and X&Y doesn't really work that way. It's slow song, fast song, slow song, fast song, slow song...no variation at all.

By the way, which albums do you consider perfect? I'm curious.

I don't know if that phrase was a good one. I don't mean like, similarity or variation between songs, I mean that all the songs work towards achieving or contributing towards a greater goal or getting across a general feel or idea. I think that's why I'm not as big on VLV...I find it very scattered, an eclectic collection of completely different things that have little to do with each other, whereas the previous three albums are definitely more ALBUMS to me, in terms of feel and ideas. I have a feeling that MX is going to be more of a VLV-type thing than an AROBTTH or X&Y-type thing, despite the fact that they're hailing it as a store. Of course, I think this is a very personal thing, depending on preferences.

And I might make a list on your user profile--I've been way too good at hijacking threads lately to usurp this one too :P

As an interesting observation, I've noticed the Viva fans have suddenly all come out of hiding. For much of the past year or two, Viva has been constantly bashed on this forum and I have often partaken in the bashing. This was after the excitement of Viva's release and hype died down and all the Viva fans seemingly vanished. Now suddenly Viva is being treated as a positive evolution for the band and a bridge to MX.

Not ragging on anyone here. Just pointing out a trend I've noticed.

You think? I did take a major hiatus from the board for a year or so, but I thought Viva was pretty well recepted by most people here, without much bashing. Maybe I just haven't been looking for it. I love it for what it is, it just isn't exactly what I look for in a great album. In that sense, I like that it still works its way into my heart completely without doing the things that I usually cite as genius.

I agree about a bridge to MX, though. With that release, I pretty much could tell what direction they were going to head in--I guess I just didn't think it would be this radio-poppy.