✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

ITV: Coldplay confirmed to perform on X Factor Final on Sunday 11th December at Wembley Arena

busybeeburns

Personally I can understand why they've taken the decision to become involved in XFactor.

These TV appearances generate album and concert ticket sales (aka pay the bills) and the guys have now appeared on the majority of chat shows on the UK TV circuit (only show left to do is Alan Carr's ChattyMan I think) and with the loss of Top of The Pops, the programmes with the highest viewing figures are these current trend Pop Culture mindless shows. As it's not possible to get Coldplay on Strictly Come Dancing the highest exposure point from there is XFactor and if you look at the charts, the general public respond to the show by buying the featured song if it's performed well. So how better to publicize your product, and generate the required continued sales, than to sign up to the show?

The guys might not like the decision either but have had to take it to pay the elecy at the Bakery for instance, after all don't we all do things in our jobs that we don't always agree with or particually like but have to do to earn the money. We all need to remember that the product called "Coldplay" only has a limited shelf life and whilst no-one is aware how long that is the guys selling the product, Masters Berryman, Buckland, Champion and Martin and working as hard as possible to generate everyone involved as much money as possible before it expires. Hopefully the "Coldplay" product will have a life span similar to that of "Pepsi" or "Coke-Cola".

You could always control Coldplay's exposure on XFactor by voting for one of the other acts and getting rid of Janet before the finals, but I'm curious to see what song they would do and how they would adapt it to make it useable for the show as how many of their songs are truely duets??

*stands back and waits for the flaming*

I kinda understand what you're saying but they've just sold over 400,000 stadium tour tickets in under half an hour and the album broke digital sales records, I don't think they need any help selling their "product" (which is a word I don't like, but to be honest is what they seemed to have become of late :(), especially when the Christmas market will boost album sales without the need of further promotion. I really don't think they need the money either to be honest.

My main objection with it though, is that they have always spoke out about being against how it can knock someone talented down to the point where they feel like they should just give up, just because they're not note perfect every single time they perform. And if that's something they believe in they shouldn't just discard that belief when some waves a huge cheque in their faces. :shrug:

How did you respond? (Other than the note on the previous page about not disguising disgust.) Do you think the look on your face was like "fffuuuhhhh...."

I suppose maybe the name of the thread should be changed from "UNTRUE" to "TRUE" now.

I asked the question in the negative:

"Can I ask you something Jonny?" Sure. "That rumour about X Factor isn't true is it?" *pulls face*

When he said it was I just said "Oh right...well...thanks for answering" I was disappointed and I didn't disguise it in my tone or on my face, but I didn't want to be rude either. There were a few people around me who groaned and said "nooooooooooo" too though so I don't think he went away thinking that anyone was pleased by the answer.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you're comparing them to two of the biggest brands in the world makes me a bit sick. That's exactly the reason why I don't want them to do X Factor. They're not a brand! Their "shelf-life" should depend on how well they write music, perform and stay true to themselves - not their album sales and not the tv-shows they go on.

They're so much better than this. I get that their popularity has risen and that they have become quite mainstream but that doesn't make them JLS or whatever. Being on the show goes against everything they stand for as a band! Chris has even said in the past (as pointed out previously) that they wouldn't do X Factor.

They don't need the money, come on. They don't need the publicity either - they just managed to sell out stadiums in seconds!

It's just very disappointing to me that they would agree to go on a show that doesn't encourage young people to try to be the best they can at music - but to be the most famous.

End rant, I'm just very upset.

Well said! That´s the way I feel as well, they don´t need this at all.:(

i don't understand how they're fitting it in.

don't they usually do the duets on the saturday night? thought the sunday was resevred for the different versions of the x factor single.

the saturday is 10th December, and Coldplay are hosting the Under 1 Roof from the O2 that night.

the only other positive is that Mich's question was

"That rumour about X Factor isn't true is it?"

and the answer is yes. so is yes it isn't true!

(wishful thinking! :lol:)

Coldplay are performing at the O2 Arena on the 10th which is the same day as the X Factor final.

http://buysell-mytickets.com/event/coldplay-tickets.htm?gclid=CN2Ah4fP0awCFQMPfAodqnfy6g

Just don't get your hopes up, there's another day of the X Factor final on the 11th.

http://xfactor.tellymix.co.uk/news/31135-the-x-factor-2011-final-to-be-held-at-wembley-arena-in-front-of-12500-fans.html

Coldplay are performing at the O2 Arena on the 10th which is the same day as the X Factor final.

http://buysell-mytickets.com/event/coldplay-tickets.htm?gclid=CN2Ah4fP0awCFQMPfAodqnfy6g

Just don't get your hopes up, there's another day of the X Factor final on the 11th.

http://xfactor.tellymix.co.uk/news/31135-the-x-factor-2011-final-to-be-held-at-wembley-arena-in-front-of-12500-fans.html

that's what I was saying. I thought the duets are usually on the saturday night and then they do each person's interpretation of the single on the Sunday. which is why it would clash with the Under 1 Roof

ok i', sorry to say this cuz i know it will upset some of you but i'm gonna do it anyway;

don't you think you're beeing a little bit to harsh? i know that all of you love coldplay, so do i, but you guys have to remember that coldplaying members are not the only coldplay fans out there.

there are probably lots of fans that would love to see them perform on x factor.

and most of all, if you do love the band as much as you say you do, think about it this way;

1, coldplay performs at x factor = more cds sold

2, coldplay performs at x factor = might gain some fans = more cds sold

and as you all know, by selling more cds, merch and such, you gain more money.

more money = beeing able to produce even more fantastic material.

but most important, you really believe that coldplay is doing this against their will? ofcourse not. They want to do it, let them do it, and support them in their choises. :cool:

i dunno, i've never watched x factor but it cant possibly be as bad as swedish idol, and to be honest, if coldplay where to play at swedish idol, i would be really happy :)

To be honest what baffles me is that only some weeks ago they were all "are you crazy, we're too old, it's not for us", now it's ok for whatever reason.

But yeah, there are a lot of things that I really don't understand or don't agree with on their part (band and management) lately, so this is just another one.

The fact that you're comparing them to two of the biggest brands in the world makes me a bit sick. That's exactly the reason why I don't want them to do X Factor. They're not a brand! Their "shelf-life" should depend on how well they write music, perform and stay true to themselves - not their album sales and not the tv-shows they go on.

They're so much better than this. I get that their popularity has risen and that they have become quite mainstream but that doesn't make them JLS or whatever. Being on the show goes against everything they stand for as a band! Chris has even said in the past (as pointed out previously) that they wouldn't do X Factor.

They don't need the money, come on. They don't need the publicity either - they just managed to sell out stadiums in seconds!

It's just very disappointing to me that they would agree to go on a show that doesn't encourage young people to try to be the best they can at music - but to be the most famous.

End rant, I'm just very upset.

THIS (and everything Mimixxx and iriden said, I don't know how to multiquote, sorry) :)

thinner, to your upsetting post I can only reply with

fuck shoes is good
:nod:

Have you also applied your logic in reverse way?

1. Coldplay performs at X-factor = Coldplay gets a bad name (since, come on, X-factor is really bad) = Coldplay loses support from fans that would actually buy their CD instead of illegally downloading it like the average teenage X-factor fan would do.

2. Coldplay performs at X-factor = they get finally noticed by people that have been living under a rock for the last five years at least = not influencing sales at all because these people are too busy spending their money on X-factor related merch. No more money for Coldplay = not a big deal because they are rich enough already so they will still make amazing music.

But most important, I don't like X-factor :D

- I don't really believe in this way of reasoning, I don't even think it's worthy being named logic (except of course if you compare it to logic of She-Who-Cannot-Be-Named) so I guess I also don't think that your way of looking at it makes sense to me. I am not even taking into account some classic mistakes like not knowing when to use 'were' or 'where' and 'too' or 'to'. I hope I don't sound like a Grammar Nazi now, I just want to point out that misuse of such words can cause a lot of confusing, because they mean something else if written wrong.

I'm not familiar with the X-Factor, but many reputable bands and musicians have performed on the American Idol in the US and have not been diminished by it. Yes, I've heard Chris say on several occasions how these talent shows are detrimental to young kids who are told how terrible they are. But Coldplay isn't (or should I say aren't) going to be judges, they are just going to support 1 young musician. Now, if the performance is a bust though, they will have hurt their brand very much.

Let's hope it turns out like this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DtN6QSx_Io]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DtN6QSx_Io[/ame]

For those of you guys that don't know, this is the girl that they'll be performing with if she gets through to the final, which I hope she doesn't :P

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJcbkcAzDWg]Janet Devlin wants to Fix You - The X Factor 2011 Live Show 1 - itv.com/xfactor - YouTube[/ame]

Perhaps Coldplay can take her under their wings and show her a trick or 2? I have a 16 yr old musician of my own and performing with Coldplay would be humongous.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Whatever the band decides, I'll support. I believe their hearts are in the right place.

PS. Did I read that Chris' little sister is pursuing an acting career on her own and doesn't want help for her brother nor her sister-in-law?

Really don't like this news, but I'm not sure why. I even enjoy watching these Dutch singing/talent shows from time to time. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

The thing that bothers me most, just like with the 20/20/20/40 thing, is that Chris recently denied it (like some others said). He lies all the time, that guy. :P

Have you also applied your logic in reverse way?

fuck shoes is good

My logic reverse :confused:

bah probably my unconscious mind was elsewhere tired of losing the shoes look you know old girl fan idiot who lost mind, and no memory :blank:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT8xjn_A9QM]Until Tomorrow Finds You - Jonas Bjerre - YouTube[/ame]

But I wanted to speak French to say connerie ! d'accord avoir compris le message c'est de la connerie X factor forme exclamative expression . "c'est bon"

okay random

Really don't like this news, but I'm not sure why. I even enjoy watching these Dutch singing/talent shows from time to time. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

The thing that bothers me most, just like with the 20/20/20/40 thing, is that Chris recently denied it (like some others said). He lies all the time, that guy. :P

http://xfactor.tellymix.co.uk/news/60986-coldplay-could-never-appear-on-the-x-factor-says-chris-martin.html

time they are young coldplay on the stage. Rihanna have great graffitis shoes too all is okay

Coldplay "could never" appear on The X Factor, says Chris Martin

November 24th, 2011 00:01 by Josh Darvill | More: Live shows, News

Janet Devlin

Coldplay have said that they will never perform on The X Factor – because they’re “too old.” Following rumours suggesting they were being lined up for next month’s final, the group said they “could never” appear on the show.

It was reported yesterday that show bosses were hoping to get the British group to sign up for a duet with Northern Irish singer Janet Devlin if she made the final in December.

But lead singer Chris Martin said despite being huge fans of the show, they’d never appear on the programme.

“We all love The X Factor and we enjoy the show but we can’t go on it. We do something different, and we’re far too old,” he said.

He added: “We were very behind that girl Stacey Solomon. But no, we could never appear on the show.”

Back to the drawing board then…

My logic reverse :confused:
I'm sorry Lory, I didn't mean you. I was not talking about something that you said. I just used a quote of yours to add to my point :)

Just heard the girl sing. Hm, I don't like the way she sings Fix You. It doesn't seem honest in the way that she tries too hard to sing good and try to put emotion in it, but it's not sincere. Being too caught up by singing it well, she doesn't seem to understand at the moment what she is singing. The whole intonation she uses doesn't seem to fit a song so timide. It's supposed to be sung by someone who tries to comfort someone and when this girl sings it, she's not trying to comfort anyone. Being a good singer/performer is not only about having good looks (sure she has those! ;) ) and a great voice, it's maybe even more about being able to get across your message.