✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

I know I'm over a week late, but I've heard "Madness" for the first time just now.

My consensus: It's the worst Muse song I've heard in ages. Those of you who were convinced I just back Muse blindly can see now that this isn't the case. The "m-m-m-m-maaa-maaa" bit, the guitar solo in the middle, Matt backing himself by singing an octave higher towards the end, the general vibe of the song. Yeah, definitely not a fan.

Scheduled for SNL on Ocotber 6th with host Daniel Craig :)

I think everyone knows my distaste for SNL in general by now. :dozey: The fact that it's rarely been funny in the last decade, the fact that every musical performance sounds awful no matter who's giving it thanks to crappy acoustics and not being able to use your own sound guys, the fact that SNL is considered the national benchmark for both celebrity and band exposure, etc.

I know I'm over a week late, but I've heard "Madness" for the first time just now.

My consensus: It's the worst Muse song I've heard in ages. Those of you who were convinced I just back Muse blindly can see now that this isn't the case. The "m-m-m-m-maaa-maaa" bit, the guitar solo in the middle, Matt backing himself by singing an octave higher towards the end, the general vibe of the song. Yeah, definitely not a fan.

On the contrary for me, Madness is proof for all the skeptics on this forum who doubt I can tolerate a band's shift in sound. Then again, I hate Survival and Unsustainable. :laugh3:

I think everyone knows my distaste for SNL in general by now. :dozey: The fact that it's rarely been funny in the last decade, the fact that every musical performance sounds awful no matter who's giving it thanks to crappy acoustics and not being able to use your own sound guys, the fact that SNL is considered the national benchmark for both celebrity and band exposure, etc.

On the contrary for me, Madness is proof for all the skeptics on this forum who doubt I can tolerate a band's shift in sound. Then again, I hate Survival and Unsustainable. :laugh3:

I think you really have to judge SNL episode by episode. There will always be funny skits if you watch enough of it. although the age of poehler, ferrel, fallon, dratch, morgan, etc. is over, people like kristen wiig, jason sudekis, and andy samberg, have kept it alive through the past few years (even though two of them are leaving).

The humor in SNL isn't a total wreck but the good sketches are sporadic. There are episodes that don't contain one funny sketch.

Agreed with your assessment of the actors, though. It seems many of them start to bloom on SNL and then move on to do way better non-SNL things. So the exposure method works successfully. Which is exactly why I wish the quality were more consistent.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Muse, but I guess that's nothing new for this thread. :P

^ It's weird how our tastes on the new songs are the exact opposite.

Yeah, usually our tastes are pretty similar...

:nod:

I don't like it either.

I can't believe Michael does... There's something new for the books :dozey:

^Oh no, Chris Martin thinks it is the best thing Muse has ever done. I'm sure all of us here are in agreement that it's not.

It's just split people as to whether they like it or not.

I've been having an ongoing debate on NME.com with people about why it's not that great. A lot of people agree and some people are vocal on their disagreement. I am getting sick to death of them bandying around the terms of 'progressing forward' and 'stuck in the past'.

Yes, they are progressing forward to different musical areas, and I applaud bands for doing that. I would never want an OOS rehash. BUT when they progress forward and the writing and the music quality decreases, then I object.

And I'm not stuck in the past either. Again, I would accept and embrace a change if the music was still good... And this Muse is not good. It's sub-par. I loved the second Bombay Bicycle Club album despite it being folk compared to the first being pure indie... BECAUSE THE QUALITY OF THE NEW MUSIC WAS STILL GOOD.

^Oh no, Chris Martin thinks it is the best thing Muse has ever done. I'm sure all of us here are in agreement that it's not.

It's just split people as to whether they like it or not.

I've been having an ongoing debate on NME.com with people about why it's not that great. A lot of people agree and some people are vocal on their disagreement. I am getting sick to death of them bandying around the terms of 'progressing forward' and 'stuck in the past'.

Yes, they are progressing forward to different musical areas, and I applaud bands for doing that. I would never want an OOS rehash. BUT when they progress forward and the writing and the music quality decreases, then I object.

And I'm not stuck in the past either. Again, I would accept and embrace a change if the music was still good... And this Muse is not good. It's sub-par. I loved the second Bombay Bicycle Club album despite it being folk compared to the first being pure indie... BECAUSE THE QUALITY OF THE NEW MUSIC WAS STILL GOOD.

I agree with everything you're saying, except this. This is the bit I'm struggling with. I don't think there's that much of a decrease. His lyrics have always been poor to average, his melodies just "there" to highlight his quite beautiful use of chords. The fact it's so sparse leaves them reeeally open on everything, but I don't think it's musically worse than (one from each) Undisclosed Desires, Supermassive Black Hole, Time Is Running Out, Hyper Music or Sunburn. And it's not lyrically worse than I Belong to You, Invincible, Hysteria, Plug In Baby or Unintended. Tried to pick some favourites here.

As for the progressing forward thing, people are giving them a break with this because they're doing something different. This is why Kid A is so revered, this is why The Beatles, Bowie and Blur are held in such high esteem, and why Be Here Now, The Resistance or X&Y aren't given the benefit of the doubt in hindsight. Clearly from what you've said, you judge music on its merit, not on its direction - which is good and what everyone should do - but there will always be those that praise/slate a band for changing direction, regardless of what the actual music sounds like.

I agree with everything you're saying, except this. This is the bit I'm struggling with. I don't think there's that much of a decrease. His lyrics have always been poor to average, his melodies just "there" to highlight his quite beautiful use of chords. The fact it's so sparse leaves them reeeally open on everything, but I don't think it's musically worse than (one from each) Undisclosed Desires, Supermassive Black Hole, Time Is Running Out, Hyper Music or Sunburn. And it's not lyrically worse than I Belong to You, Invincible, Hysteria, Plug In Baby or Unintended. Tried to pick some favourites here.

As for the progressing forward thing, people are giving them a break with this because they're doing something different. This is why Kid A is so revered, this is why The Beatles, Bowie and Blur are held in such high esteem, and why Be Here Now, The Resistance or X&Y aren't given the benefit of the doubt in hindsight. Clearly from what you've said, you judge music on its merit, not on its direction - which is good and what everyone should do - but there will always be those that praise/slate a band for changing direction, regardless of what the actual music sounds like.

I find that in the earlier material there seemed to be more layers of depth at least to the lyrics. I have to agree that Matt has never been a poet, but I just feel that Madness and Survival have lacked any sort of inspiration and creativity. They are playing in a really busy, rehashed sandpit. (And ironically, I'm not a fan of Unintended, Invincible, or I Belong To You-- although in the case of the first two I still do listen to them occasionally). But this could be my personal interpretation of the songs; that pre-TR I always found some meaning... And now I feel like it's the depth of a bowl of cornflakes.

Musically, I'd say there is a decrease. I think it is because there are so many elements being experimented with and yet I don't feel like any of them are really being executed to the best of the ability or utilised to full potential. Again, this is obviously open to interpretation.

Yeah, I always feel like when I express my opinion on the new direction everyone is just assuming it is because I am an old-school Muser that just won't go with the times. When nope, that's not the case. I'd say TR wasn't my favourite Muse album; but there are still tracks on their I love like USoE and, heaven forbid me saying it, Undisclosed Desires (I feel so BAMF listening to that song). So far I haven't hear that from T2L. That's not to say there won't be (I'm kind of hoping the Chris led tracks are going to blow my fricken mind) but I just am judging it off what I know thus far and I just feel it doesn't deserve any sort of OMGBESTMOOZEEVUR.

I find that in the earlier material there seemed to be more layers of depth at least to the lyrics. I have to agree that Matt has never been a poet, but I just feel that Madness and Survival have lacked any sort of inspiration and creativity. They are playing in a really busy, rehashed sandpit. (And ironically, I'm not a fan of Unintended, Invincible, or I Belong To You-- although in the case of the first two I still do listen to them occasionally). But this could be my personal interpretation of the songs; that pre-TR I always found some meaning... And now I feel like it's the depth of a bowl of cornflakes.

Musically, I'd say there is a decrease. I think it is because there are so many elements being experimented with and yet I don't feel like any of them are really being executed to the best of the ability or utilised to full potential. Again, this is obviously open to interpretation.

Yeah, I always feel like when I express my opinion on the new direction everyone is just assuming it is because I am an old-school Muser that just won't go with the times. When nope, that's not the case. I'd say TR wasn't my favourite Muse album; but there are still tracks on their I love like USoE and, heaven forbid me saying it, Undisclosed Desires (I feel so BAMF listening to that song). So far I haven't hear that from T2L. That's not to say there won't be (I'm kind of hoping the Chris led tracks are going to blow my fricken mind) but I just am judging it off what I know thus far and I just feel it doesn't deserve any sort of OMGBESTMOOZEEVUR.

I'm not saying that at all; I think it's fair enough if you just don't like the new stuff. And hey, there's no denying that they've changed.

And I agree somewhat with the depth to the lyrics, but at the same time, there are some absolute clunkers throughout his career.

I didn't like The Resistance all that much and I'm not raving about what I've heard from The 2nd Law so far. But then there are tracks like that on all Muse albums that I don't like, or don't go mad for. Supermassive Black Hole. Time Is Running Out. Plug In Baby. Resistance.

Anyone applied for tickets for Muse at the Roundhouse on 30th September? I know there's about 0.000000000001% chance that I will get them but I decided to give it a go anyway :laugh3:

I have applied too. Definitely not getting my hopes up but hey, you never know! :D

I'm not saying that at all; I think it's fair enough if you just don't like the new stuff. And hey, there's no denying that they've changed.

And I agree somewhat with the depth to the lyrics, but at the same time, there are some absolute clunkers throughout his career.

I didn't like The Resistance all that much and I'm not raving about what I've heard from The 2nd Law so far. But then there are tracks like that on all Muse albums that I don't like, or don't go mad for. Supermassive Black Hole. Time Is Running Out. Plug In Baby. Resistance.

Nah, I know you're not. It's refreshing for someone not to be saying that. :lol:

Oh yeah, Matt has always had the perchance for a real clanger of lyricism. But these days it is getting more common than not. Or maybe I just notice more now because I've started listening to a lot more music.

And you're right about that too. No Muse album has ever been flawless. If I'm honest, I can't really remember the last album I thought was flawless (maybe Alt-J or Breton; but I'm sure I had some complaints about them at first that I'm not as fussed about now? :laugh3:) I'm holding a tiny candle of hope that the rest is better. Or if not, just sort of listenable so I don't feel like renouncing Muse forever.

Anyone applied for tickets for Muse at the Roundhouse on 30th September? I know there's about 0.000000000001% chance that I will get them but I decided to give it a go anyway :laugh3:

I have too. I have used up all my luck though for the foreseeable future by winning tickets to see SBTRKT though. But I can dream. :P

Nah, I know you're not. It's refreshing for someone not to be saying that. :lol:

Oh yeah, Matt has always had the perchance for a real clanger of lyricism. But these days it is getting more common than not. Or maybe I just notice more now because I've started listening to a lot more music.

And you're right about that too. No Muse album has ever been flawless. If I'm honest, I can't really remember the last album I thought was flawless (maybe Alt-J or Breton; but I'm sure I had some complaints about them at first that I'm not as fussed about now? :laugh3:) I'm holding a tiny candle of hope that the rest is better. Or if not, just sort of listenable so I don't feel like renouncing Muse forever.

I have too. I have used up all my luck though for the foreseeable future by winning tickets to see SBTRKT though. But I can dream. :P

I don't think we'll get many great albums ever again, until music has a bit more money in it. Which won't be any time soon.

If you look at British sport, it's been success of late because of the government-funded projects; I don't see why we can't fund music. Or at least give all kids in schools music lessons, so they grow up knowing what art is.