• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Megalomania

• Hysteria

• Mojo Pin

• Mrs.McFly

Chris is the ultimate "yes man" of the music industry. He will compliment everyone (Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, the Jonas Bros, probably Nickelback) just to be seen as the nice good guy.

I kinda wish more musicians would just grow some balls like The Black Keys and be honest about their opinions, insulting whoever the hell they want. Damon Albarn and the Gallaghers weren't afraid to do it back in the 90's. And it was awesome. Can we have those days back please?

Chris is the ultimate "yes man" of the music industry. He will compliment everyone (Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, the Jonas Bros, probably Nickelback) just to be seen as the nice good guy.

I kinda wish more musicians would just grow some balls like The Black Keys and be honest about their opinions, insulting whoever the hell they want. Damon Albarn and the Gallaghers weren't afraid to do it back in the 90's. And it was awesome. Can we have those days back please?

No. I'd rather have "nice good guys" than people who play the part of the arrogant rockstar and take the piss out of everybody just for the sake of it

^ Really, why do musicians have to insult everybody to be original, or "have personality"? I just don't understand this bad rock boy stereotype, also that's so cliché.

THIS! I'm so sick of people thinking rude = cool. Chris is nice to everyone because he knows lots of people have different musical tastes. I'm sure he doesn't want to insult any fans either, which may happen if he went around trashing other bands. Besides, if a beiber fan heard Chris hating on beiber that fan may never give Coldplay a chance because that may turn them off of listening to the band.

By the way, everyone thinks Chris is BSing saying Madness is his favorite. Why can't it be. Everyone hates Undisclosed Disires but it's one of, if not my favorite, Muse song. Let people like what they want. How does what Chris's favorite Muse song is have anything to do with you?

"Bad boy rock personality" hasn't been a cliche since the turn of the century. Things are boring. Now many rock stars don't have motivation to prove their critics wrong and outdo the competition. Everyone's now so wrapped up in political correctness and unquestioning approval that barely anyone improves their art or speaks their mind. Chris Martin - after that scathing X&Y review years ago - has even deluded himself into thinking all criticism is meaningless. Yeah, feelings get hurt and fandoms war against each other. And you know what? That's great. If you're in a band that's big enough to have a loyal warring fandom in the first place, it's not like you have to worry about your popularity dwindling because of someone else's remarks. Go ahead and hit back. That's why as much as we may hate the shit out of Nickelback, they aren't going anywhere.

Spread the hate, my lovelies. <3

I think there's a big difference between speaking your mind and insulting people. Besides, saying what your honest opinion is doesn't mean it'll be negative: it's clearly possible to be outspoken about someone else's work when one just likes it. At the same time, if you like something that some people don't, it doens't mean your sense of criticism is inexistent. To love something and to be critical can certainly coexist.

As for Chris: I do think he's trying to be nice, but that's just the way he is, it doesn't necessarily make him someone without opinion. He just happens to make a point to say that he appreciates something. I do not think it makes him a witless idiot without sense of criticism. I just think he's trying to expand his musical horizons without being prejudiced against things that are more mainstream and pre-established labels.

I do admit I am biased. I just don't understand the correlation between trying to be nice and being an idiot or between being critical and being aggressive towards people whose work you don't like.

"Bad boy rock personality" hasn't been a cliche since the turn of the century. Things are boring. Now many rock stars don't have motivation to prove their critics wrong and outdo the competition. Everyone's now so wrapped up in political correctness and unquestioning approval that barely anyone improves their art or speaks their mind. Chris Martin - after that scathing X&Y review years ago - has even deluded himself into thinking all criticism is meaningless. Yeah, feelings get hurt and fandoms war against each other. And you know what? That's great. If you're in a band that's big enough to have a loyal warring fandom in the first place, it's not like you have to worry about your popularity dwindling because of someone else's remarks. Go ahead and hit back. That's why as much as we may hate the shit out of Nickelback, they aren't going anywhere.

Spread the hate, my lovelies. <3

A million times YES. This is one of the reasons I love hip-hop so much. The rivalries, the competition. 50 Cent found out Kanye West was releasing an album on the same date as him back in 2007 and directly challenged him - if your album sells more than mine, I quit rapping. Obviously Kanye sold more than double 50's album and 50 carried on rapping but that's besides the point. Also, Nas vs Jay-Z was perhaps the best beef since Tupac vs Biggie. My point is that competition and rivalry makes personality. I don't think Muse and Coldplay should become 'rivals' in the music industry, but what I am saying is no rock musicians have balls anymore.

I didn't like "Madness" the first time I heard it, but I gave it a few more listens and now I honestly love it. It's not an obvious single, it doesn't sound like old Muse and it's not as boundary-pushing as some of their earlier songs, but it's one of the few Muse songs that have come out in the last few years that is incredibly genuine, raw and sincere (I enjoyed a lot of the stuff on the most recent album and I downright love Exogenesis, but I didn't find a lot of the songs on the album to be all that sincere). Also, Matt's vocals on "Madness" are stellar, and the lyrics are personal and moving (not in a cheesy "Neutron Star Collision" kind of way, but still personal). The "But I have finally realized... I need to love" part is beautiful and IMHO, epic... that part alone makes this song worth listening to.

I want people who will be rockstars, but not for the sake of it.

There are musicians like Noel Gallagher, who don't have to try to be funny, and will, 90% of the time, say what we're all thinking.

There aren't many people like this. Look at Viva Brother.

Be yourself. Chris Martin doesn't need to suck up to Muse. If he likes the song, he likes the song. So what? Matt Bellamy likes Paparazzi by Lady Gaga, Thom Yorke likes Girls and Boys by Blur, Jay-Z likes Be Here Now and U2. Doesn't make them bad people or bad musicians.

I will go on the record of saying that I love Noel Gallagher as an individual as much as I enjoy him as a musician. As opposed to his brother, who purposely goes out of his way to pick fights (which is NOT what I'm getting at), Noel just speaks what's on his mind at the moment. Because the difference between his outspokenness and Liam's is that Liam is NOTHING BUT hate. That gimmick doesn't work. Noel is more nonchalant and will criticize an artist if the topic pops up and won't lie about it, but he gives credit where credit is due, especially to bands like Kasabian who have taken the post-Oasis charge in a quality fashion.

I will go on the record of saying that I love Noel Gallagher as an individual as much as I enjoy him as a musician. As opposed to his brother, who purposely goes out of his way to pick fights (which is NOT what I'm getting at), Noel just speaks what's on his mind at the moment. Because the difference between his outspokenness and Liam's is that Liam is NOTHING BUT hate. That gimmick doesn't work. Noel is more nonchalant and will criticize an artist if the topic pops up and won't lie about it, but he gives credit where credit is due, especially to bands like Kasabian who have taken the post-Oasis charge in a quality fashion.

This.

I don't want more loudmouthed rockstars. I want more Noels.

Noel's kind of an asshole though.

I think Liam is sorta more so. and i can't stand his voice. I think Madness is friggin brilliant. As someone who doesn't really care for the heavy stuff, like "Unnatural Selection", I hope the whole album sounds something like Madness.

I feel absolutely livid at the fact the NME have published a "news piece" on Chris's opinion on Madness. I know we don't all like it, and we are all entitled to our opinions, but I mean... come on?

We all got into music because it unites us, and makes us feel part of something bigger. It's an escape into a joint imagination with hundreds of others, and when Muse play Madness live, they'll connect the dots of everyone in the room, into one voice, one collective.

So why are people like the NME so keen on dividing us up? Segregating those who listen to "good music" and those who listen to "bad music"? Their editor - yes, the guy in charge - posted a picture on Twitter of someone who didn't recognise a photo of Joe Strummer. Oh, let's all laugh the moron who listens to chart music and doesn't know their Guns of Brixton from their Brixton Academy.

It's pathetic; if you're that bothered, send them an album to get into. I didn't know what he looks like, I'd say I'm a fairly big music fan. But I only get into new bands because they're shared with me, not because the fans insinuate it's an exclusive club that I have to be a part of.

Maybe I'm taking this too far, maybe what I've just said is wrong or irrelevant. And I don't agree with Chris Martin. But that's wrong, posting Chris Martin's opinion on the UK's biggest music website.

As opposed to his brother, who purposely goes out of his way to pick fights (which is NOT what I'm getting at)

I have no wish at all to argue with you, but you previously said this :

I kinda wish more musicians would just grow some balls like The Black Keys and be honest about their opinions, insulting whoever the hell they want.

Noel is more nonchalant and will criticize an artist if the topic pops up and won't lie about it, but he gives credit where credit is due, especially to bands like Kasabian who have taken the post-Oasis charge in a quality fashion.

That's great of him, honestly. However, I think it should be noted that this is a matter of opinion. People will diverge when it comes to who should get a negative opinion or who deserves some credit. It doesn't matter if it's Chris Martin or not. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, regardless of it being more or less aligned with more mainstream views or other personal opinions.

Besides, no one can say whether or not Chris has a negative opinion about some artist because the only kind of opinion he cares to show (on twitter, for example) is approving ones: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Anyway, as already said, negative opinion is not the only kind of opinion that's grounded.