✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

^It's true. Music now doesn't have the backing; but then sometimes I wonder whether you really do need money to make art and really fantastic music. Some of the best albums of 2011/12 for me have been those just starting out which have the tiniest labels and the least monetary backing going.

I remember wanting to learn guitar at school, and the piano, but we couldn't afford it. So I've grown up with a love of music but absolute no skills or talent in it at all (admittedly I am trying o teach myself guitar).

^It's true. Music now doesn't have the backing; but then sometimes I wonder whether you really do need money to make art and really fantastic music. Some of the best albums of 2011/12 for me have been those just starting out which have the tiniest labels and the least monetary backing going.

I remember wanting to learn guitar at school, and the piano, but we couldn't afford it. So I've grown up with a love of music but absolute no skills or talent in it at all (admittedly I am trying o teach myself guitar).

I was lucky that I had a teacher like Chris Martin had, who let us go and play on the keyboards in school, with no other goal than to "make music". It's from there that I formed a band, and five years later, we play our penultimate show tonight.

And it's true that you don't always need money, but how many bands, releasing their debut records today, would be dropped, thanks to low sales/poor acclaim? Blur, Muse, The Beatles, Nirvana, Kings of Leon, U2, Pulp, Radiohead, Beck, Primal Scream, Jay-Z, Led Zeppelin... for every Stone Roses/Arctic Monkeys/Oasis, I'd say you have four bands who don't quite get it right. Some just need a big tour, time and the right producer to gel together into the band they'll be known as.