✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay MX comic panel at Comic-Con (13 July 2012)

inspectah94

Coldplay's 'Mylo Xyloto' Comic And 10 Other Atrociously Bad Ideas

We love Coldplay, but let's face it—even the band would admit they've had a few creative missteps along the way. (One of them may or may not have been called X&Y…) That said, I frankly can't think of anything they've ever done that rivals the mind-numbing, soul-crushing, almighty-offending lameness of adapting their aimlessly conceptual (I mean, they told us it was a concept album, but did anyone pick up even a single plot point?) album Mylo Xyloto into a six-part comic series.

What audience is this for, exactly? The "Coldplay fans who love both graphic novels and forced, overwrought vanity projects" crowd? As announced on their official news feed, the project was conceived by the band and Kung Fu Panda co-director Mark Osbourne (yes, it's going to be that good) and will be formerly announced at a Comic-Con panel this Friday, where fans can "ask [the creative team] 'Who’s Major Minus?' and 'What the hell's the Hypnofeed all about?'" (because anyone cares) and grab a copy of the debut issue.

Don't get me wrong, the Mylo Xyloto comics might turn out to be very good. We won't know until Friday. But it's a painfully terrible idea. So awful, in fact, that I've compiled a quick list of 10 other ideas that might be just as bad or worse as adapting a Coldplay album not titled Parachutes into a cohesive narrative. Enjoy.

link

#1 on that list: Writing a really amazing song called "Moving To Mars" and leaving it off your album.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We love Coldplay, but let's face it—even the band would admit they've had a few creative missteps along the way. (One of them may or may not have been called X&Y…) That said, I frankly can't think of anything they've ever done that rivals the mind-numbing, soul-crushing, almighty-offending lameness of adapting their aimlessly conceptual (I mean, they told us it was a concept album, but did anyone pick up even a single plot point?) album Mylo Xyloto into a six-part comic series.

What audience is this for, exactly? The "Coldplay fans who love both graphic novels and forced, overwrought vanity projects" crowd? As announced on their official news feed, the project was conceived by the band and Kung Fu Panda co-director Mark Osbourne (yes, it's going to be that good) and will be formerly announced at a Comic-Con panel this Friday, where fans can "ask [the creative team] 'Who’s Major Minus?' and 'What the hell's the Hypnofeed all about?'" (because anyone cares) and grab a copy of the debut issue.

Don't get me wrong, the Mylo Xyloto comics might turn out to be very good. We won't know until Friday. But it's a painfully terrible idea. So awful, in fact, that I've compiled a quick list of 10 other ideas that might be just as bad or worse as adapting a Coldplay album not titled Parachutes into a cohesive narrative. Enjoy.

link

#1 on that list: Writing a really amazing song called "Moving To Mars" and leaving it off your album.

This is from a guy who wrote

I think Chris Martin was destined to play in the dirt. I'm not sure what it is about the awkward, self-defacing, hopeless romantic piano playing unlikely showman that meshes so well with the great outdoors— maybe it's because the first words any of us heard coming out of his mouth were, "Look at the stars."

but I agree with #1 ;)

link

Who the F*** is this guy? He has no idea what he's talking about.

Right here buddy ---> :whatever:

I just posted this comment, posing as a non-Coldplayer:

A few things: 1. You are criticizing it without knowing almost any of the content. I'm not really a Coldplay fan but I really think it should be given a chance. You don't even know what most of the story is about yet and you're saying it's a bad idea? 2. "...and will be formerly announced at a Comic-Con panel..." Formerly is supposed to be "formally." 3. The comic book can be for any audience, really. One does not have to be a Coldplay fan to buy this.

I don't say I agree with the article (far from that), I just posted it to show that there are also negative opinions about the comics. And of course you don't have to be a Coldplay fan to buy the comics but most people who will buy them will be Coldplay fans.

^:nod:

The thing that bothers me with his article is when he ironically says "because anyone cares"...THE FANS CARE! The message on Coldplay's website was aimed at fans, not at random people who have never heard of Hypnofeed, for instance...I don't like when people take Coldplay for what they're not. They're not arrogant and the comic certainly isn't a "vanity project".

I'm getting so excited , even though comics really aren't my thing.

The art doesn't look that bad, Mylo looks pretty good.

The most important thing to me is the story line, that will determine whether the comic is lame or not to me.

Second important thing is the art.

Instead of making opinions about the comic , lets just wait till it actually comes out

stop calling it lame:veryangry2: