✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

End of the road? Coldplay announce three-year hiatus during performance in Brisbane

Tash

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so hard to believe about them taking a 3 year hiatus? sounds about right to me

How so? Sure they've taken three years or so to finish the last couple album cycles, but people tend to ignore they've also toured for 2+ years each time before they even begin recording in earnest. That's way different than taking 3 years "off". I call shenanigans on this whole thing, especially in light of Chis apparently saying "I don't want to stop" in the same sentence.

I think he was probably talking about this tour coming to an end combined with the fact that it will in all likelihood be around 3 years before they wind their way back to Australia.

i heard it from a friend today. i was out and i told her that that was absolutely impossible for many reasons... but in the way home i started panicking... there were legitimate reasons for panicking. if someone said that before they'd announced the cancellation of the latin american tour i would say they were insane. but after that and after all the confusion i didn't and i still don't, but in a lesser degree, know what to think.

i've read the comments here, and specially taking into account the comment of the ones there in brisbane... i'd say he meant going to australia as he always says... it's the same for every end of every important leg of the tour he always says that. and if they weren't coming here (lat america) for 5 or 6 years it would be totally rude, illogical and almost impossible.

BUT there's no official confirmation or denial about this...

one more thing: they always take a 3 year (more or less) break between albums... some to rest (and we encourage that they deserve it!) and to work on the album properly (and we encourage that! it takes time to make a great album... i'd be worried if they were announcing a new LP in a year or so...)

Don't want to make you mad, but it's absolutely feasible they'd not go to certain places (Asia, South America, etc.) for a very long while. Off the top of my head, I can think of tons of bands who have had long gaps between visits to some of those areas.

oh man, today i got messages from my two friends, they were asking me, what is this 3 years hiatus or are they break up.. bla bla bla..! they'll of course have a little holiday after this big tour, but wtf those break up rumours etc., newspapers show everything very big! :wtf:

Oh dear god, it's in Gala (a French gossips magazine) :|:facepalm:

http://www.gala.fr/l_actu/news_de_stars/coldplay_plus_de_concert_avant_3_ans_276056/(page)/1

The article is in French, but I'm not even going to translate it (unless you ask me too, of course in this case I will gladly do it) because it's not interesting and full of mistakes or inaccurate info, in addition to the rumor.

First, they say "12 years of carrier" okay I know Parachutes is their first album, with Yellow their first big hit...I can understand the mistake. Still, it's 14 years and 10 months okay :whip:

The worst of all is when the "journalist" says that they're going to make an appearance at a Jay-Z concert in NYC at the end of the year :|

APPEARANCE ???!!!! THEY'RE CO-HEADLINING THE WHOLE THING YOU IDIOTS :veryangry::saw:

The MX tour started before the album release, at least that's my opinion.

Absolutely. Consider that on paper the AROBTTH tour consisted only of the 70 2003 dates when in reality the total was around 140 something, and that the 2007 dates aren't a part of the Twisted Logic tour even though for all practical purposes they were.

Totally agree. In my book the tour started with Glastonbury (unless I'm missing dates before that).

Just a couple of festivals:

3 June 2011: Rock im Park, Germany

4 June 2011: Rock am Ring, Germany

9 June 2011: Heineken Jammin' Festival, Italy

11 June 2011: Pinkpop, Netherlands

Saw this report on CNN's home page today :rolleyes:

Given the way this is blowing up, I'm sure a lot of panicked fans will write into Debs and she'll have to refute it in the next round of Oracle posts, just like she has will all the other rumors over the years. ;)

It won't get mainstream attention, but at least it should calm down the fans who pay attention to those posts.

It made news in India? Haha, amazing.

He said the exact same thing during the end of the UK tour this year, he said they wont be performing for another few years, so make of that what you will.

Im sure there wouldve been an announcement by now if they were taking a hiatus, and not just Chris saying it to Australian fans.

Dont get why they do take so long though to make a new album, it took the beatles a year to produce three, but i guess as long as the quality is still good Ill wait patiently.

It made news in India? Haha, amazing.

He said the exact same thing during the end of the UK tour this year, he said they wont be performing for another few years, so make of that what you will.

Im sure there wouldve been an announcement by now if they were taking a hiatus, and not just Chris saying it to Australian fans.

Dont get why they do take so long though to make a new album, it took the beatles a year to produce three, but i guess as long as the quality is still good Ill wait patiently.

Generally speaking, the trend of lengthening album cycles has more to do with the industry changing than it does with anything going on with bands.

When the Beatles were recording, the primary commercial unit of music was the single, and albums served as essentially glorified clearing houses for already released material to be repackaged. These days, most labels won't/can't release material in those quantities and the relative success or failure of each individual album carries a lot more weight than it did back then. (think of how many bands the majors are dropping after a single "under-preforming" album)

In addition, touring (which eats up a ton of artists' time these days) wasn't as developed. The Beatles had a crushing schedule, but it was essentially constant short tours punctuated by recording, as opposed to the massive, time and labor intensive touring model they'd be under if they were working today. for example, there were only 19 shows on their 1965 US tour, over just under 3 weeks, and this was at the height of their popularity.

I'm affraid the days of being able to produce multiple albums a year are gone forever in the mainstream at least.